5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant picture and 3D
Published 20 months ago by Faisal Yaqoob

1.0 out of 5 stars Great TV and poor lighting scheme
I bought this TV from FRYS. The TV has non homogenous lighting. In the first TV you could see a huge spot that is lighter than surrounding. FRYS replaced the TV without hassle. The second TV had these spots at different places. FRYS agreed to replace it. When they came to my house second time to replace the TV, and tried the new (third) TV, that had the exact same issue...
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant picture and 3D, May 1, 2013
I generally like Plasmas for their better picture quality (I already own 5 HD TVs and this is the 6th one). The only reason I decided to go with LED TV was there's no 70" Plasma in the Market. And my 60" looks too small in my great room - possibly because of high ceilings. After researching Sharp's 70" TV I decided to wait for Panasonic to come up with a 70" Plasma, but then Sony came out with this. It was decently priced, had 3D, there were no reviews. But I decided to take a chance - given Sony's reputation. I must say I am not disappointed!

The GOOD:

Overall Picture Quality:
Overall picture quality is good. I would say it is awesome given that it is not a Plasma yet Sony was able to produce brilliant blacks.

720p Quality:
Picture was not pixelated with 720p output from my Verizon box. I was able to see bigger picture without any quality degradation due to bigger size. It was really surprising. The picture was at least as good as on my 60" Plasma on 720p.

1080p Quality:
I put in Avatar bluray movie and played it. I turned off all the lights to see how darks appear. Even with factory settings the result was amazing. After looking at the picture quality of this TV I can no longer argue with my friends that Plasma is superior than LED.

3D:
This TV uses passive 3D!!! And this was a pleasant surprise. I like passive 3D better than active 3D for two reasons.
1. In passive 3D TV produces two images at a time, while each lens in your polarized 3D glasses can see only one image which feeds different images to both eyes - resulting in 3D image in your brain. I like it because instead of glasses completely blinding your each eye one after the other some 240 times a second (active 3D), your both eyes just see different images - which I have found to put less stress on your eyes and brain.

2. Passive 3D glasses are cheap - these are the same one used in theaters. You can order around a dozen for less than 25 bucks. And they don't need to be recharged and they are light in weight. Compare that to an active 3D glass where each cost a minimum of 50 bucks and you have to recharge them and they are not as lightweight as passive.

3D Quality:
Again, I restarted Avatar in 3D mode and the result was just WOW!!! My three year old daughter when walked across the TV I almost screamed that she is going to bump in the guy - but wait - the guy was in the movie. I am not kidding it happened a few times - that is when I noticed that 3D is just amazing - and it does have a pop-out effect usually experienced only in theaters. May be the screen size helped in producing life sized images.

Now the BAD:

Menu's are not intuitive and has a slow response time. But I wouldn't have given it 4 stars just for this reason. The reason I gave it four stars is that when changing resolution (i.e. when PlayStation goes from playing bluray video to home screen and back) the screen goes blank and TV stops responding to commands. I could still hear the sound but no picture. I have to turn it off and back on and I start to see the picture. This is most likely a manufacturing defect. I still have to contact Sony about it (as I just got TV last night). Will update the review when I have this resolved.

Tip:

I had my PlayStation connected with an old HDMI cable which worked fine with my old TV. When I connected PlayStation to the new TV with the same cable I was able to see the menus and stuff. However when I try to play a 3D movie the picture would go blank and I would hear sound after long pauses. I remembered reading somewhere that 3D requires newer faster HDMI cables. I had some newer HDMI cables in my stash. So when I changed it everything started working. So if you are unable to play 3D movies try a newer (I think ver 1.4 is required but I am not sure - just google it) HDMI cable.

EDIT 5/7/2013:

My issue above was resolved by a call to tech support. I had to unplug both TV and Playstation while they were "on". Then disconnect the HDMI cable, wait for one minute and then plug TV and Playstation back in. Connect the HDMI cable. This resolved the issue above - so I updated my rating to 5 star!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony - the one and only - It's a great TV, with some caveats, June 15, 2013
This review is from: Sony KDL-60R550A 60-Inch 120Hz 1080p 3D Internet LED HDTV (Black) (2013 Model) (Electronics)
See the pics I posted!
It's a great TV, for a good price. I like the remote, but it could have been better.

What I like:

1. It's a Sony.
There's something special about using Sony equipment, especially when you use a lot of their stuff, they work well together.

2. Bravia Sync:
This Bravia sync is cool, and it was unexpected - I can actually control my PS3 with the TV remote - yeah, that rocks. So I can put a blu-ray disk in the PS3, and use the TV remote to pause, play, select options and all that. I've got some other Sony stuff I have to hook up now to see how that single remote works with it. That's just cool.

3. Great Picture:
It looks great. Ok, so I'm coming from a Sony 32" picture tube that isn't properly aligned anymore, but I've taken my time looking at TVs in the stores.

4. The Netflix button:
There's a NetFlix button on the remote. I know, that's not really a big deal, and I know my way around a remote, but it's a cool feature. It's nice that Netflix looks so good on the screen too. Considering my internet speed is just high enough to work most of the time without pauses on NetFlix, the picture is fantastic.

5. Great 3D:
The 3D is very good. I have only tried The Hobbit 3D so far, but my goodness it's smooth and lifelike. I'm looking forward to playing with the controls on 3D tweaks. I've been saving my 3D glasses from theaters for over a year now so I have plenty of glasses for a house full of guests. The Real-3D glasses work great. So do the included Sony 3D glasses.

6. Keyboard and Mouse support via USB:
You can plug in a USB Keyboard and mouse, or a wireless keyboard and mouse, and that does work.

7. The TV is software up-gradable:
Granted, I found this out when I first went to set it up and found that there was a newer version already so I updated it. It's nice to know that they have the ability to add or fix features (and most likely give the NSA more information about your viewing habits).

8. I particularly like the feel of the remote:
The back of the remote is not slippery or sticky - it's a perfect balance in between. It has horizontal and vertical lines running the length and width of the remote. These seem to help you grip it better without being sticky.

What I don't like or found irritating:

1. Noticeable lines in 3D when you are too close:
When I first put on the 3D glasses I was (apparently) too close to the TV and noticed the lines. Ug. That was irritating. When I went back to the couch, the lines disappeared or blended together and I didn't notice it again. I have a Sony PS3 monitor with the Active Glasses so I know what full 1080p 3D looks like. As far as I can tell so far, when I'm sitting across the (not terribly large) room, there doesn't seem to be much difference.

2. The Remote control is IR only:
The Remote Control is IR only. Really. I thought it would make much more sense to go to bluetooth or wifi or something. I'm used to the bluetooth remote on the PS3 and it doesn't matter where you point it. Well, unless you point the IR in the general direction of the fire alarm which uses IR to put it in "test" mode which scares the cat and dogs and causes my son to get upset that I set it off ---again---.

3. The Remote control has no keyboard:
When I was looking at TVs I was particularly enamored with the Vizio remote - it's bluetooth and it has a FULL KEYBOARD on it! So, here I get this Sony TV which has no keyboard or even a simplified way to enter letters. Even the LG (or Toshiba? one of them) has a "magic remote" that works like a pointer device (like a mouse). So I was really disappointed that Sony didn't have something more advanced for this.

4. No Skype:
No Skype on this model. Granted, it's one less way for the NSA to monitor me, but the option would be nice Maybe with a software upgrade Sony? Or Other IM/video chat app like Google? Please?

5. Keyboard and Mouse only work in Browser:
When you plug in the wireless keyboard/mouse, they only work on the Opera Browser. Really Sony? Why? Why can't I use it for searching in other apps like Hulu & Netflix? Please unlock the keyboard and mouse and set them free!

About my experience so far:

I've had this KDL-60R550A for a week and only had it setup for a couple days. I got it from buy dig which had the best price at the time and now Amazon appears to be matching it but always shop around first so you know.

I'll try to add stuff as I discover it.

(Shameless plug) Did that help you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Minor flashlighting, slow to connect wifi - otherwise, great!, July 8, 2013
I got the 70" version of this TV a few weeks back for my new home theater setup. Despite a couple major flaws, overall I am quite happy. Blu-ray movies are stunning. Sitting about 10 feet from the screen, I almost feel like I'm in a theater. Netflix and Amazon video are pretty good too, although since they're not as high bitrate as a blu-ray, you can definitely see some compression artifacts.

This is the first TV I've ordered from Amazon and I was a little scared honestly, but having people bring the TV into your house and set it up for you is quite handy to say the least. They don't plug in all your devices, but they put it on the stand, make sure it works, and will help you place it on your media center table.

Pros:

- Excellent image quality.

- Screen lag is minimal, in regards to video games. I haven't had to use "game mode", the default seems fine.

- Menus are nice and speedy. Some people have said they're are laggy but I don't find that to be the case at all. Of the 3 smart TV's I've owned (the others being LG and Vizio), this one is by far the best when it comes to nagigating menus.

- Fairly good/simple remote. I much prefer the LG Magic Remote but since most remotes are horrible these days, this one is good relative to the average remote.

- Lots of built in video apps - I only need Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube, but there's plenty more to be had.

- Tons of inputs - I don't need them for my setup as my receiver does HDMI switching for me, but it's still nice to have so many built in.

- Passive 3D is a big pro in my opinion. Lighter glasses, less headaches, and no worrying about batteries, what's not to like?

- Relatively thin bezel for the screen size, which makes the TV look attractive (except the chrome stand...sigh)

- The viewing angle seems good to me. I see *some* dimming when going more than about 30 degrees, but not as bad as some people seem to be saying. For my setup, this point is moot, as the room is fairly narrow. And who wants to watch a TV at more than 30 degrees off center anyways?

Cons:

- It takes a few minutes for it to connect to the internet when you first turn it on. This is *super* annoying and a few times I have just went ahead and turned on my PS3 and started up Netflix that way. The point of having "apps" on your TV is so you don't have to use other devices for some functionality, so this is just dumb.

- My screen has the flashlight effect in 3 of the corners. Not nearly as bad as a lot of the pictures I've seen around the web, but still noticeable sometimes. I don't notice it at all when playing video games. I rarely notice when watching movies. Only when the screen is almost entirely black, which isn't that often. I mainly only see it when switching inputs on my receiver. It does annoy me, but if you want a TV this big, it's pretty much impossible to get no flashlighting so you have to be willing to live with some degree of it.

- Weak wifi signal - My PS3 had no problems streaming Netflix in HD, but my TV could barely even connect to the router when I first got it (in the same room as the PS3). I had to get a wifi extender for it to get a good signal. And that's fine anyways, as I like having a stronger signal everywhere throughout the house. So if you're going to use wifi with this thing, make sure your router is not more than one or two rooms away, unless you have an extender.

- The energy saver stuff is ridiculously bad, but at least you can turn it off. Do so immediately or the screen will shut off entirely any time the screen turns 100% black and it won't come back on unless you power cycle the TV. I can't believe this passed QA!

- The screen is fairly reflective. Mine is in a dark room so it doesn't affect me, but if you have windows behind your couches/chairs, you will definitely see reflections.

- I mentioned the menus are speedy before, but the *settings* menus are a bit confusing and poorly organized.

I have to drop half a star for both flashlighting and the time spent waiting for wifi after turning it on. Those are the only two major flaws for me. This TV is quite new so I'm sure a firmware update will fix the wifi issue in the future, at which point I would revise my rating to 4.5 stars. But since I can't give half a star, it will remain a 4-star rating even if that gets fixed.

** UPDATE, 2013-10-22 **
So it's been a few months. Amazingly, the flashlighting just went away on its own after a month or so. One corner still has it *barely* and I only see it when the screen is 100% black, but it's completely gone from the rest of the screen. I didn't know such a thing could occur.

Also, a firmware update must have fixed the wifi issue as it now connects much faster. Still not quite as fast as I'd like, but generally within 20 seconds it's connected.

These were my only two major complaints with the TV and since they're both fixed, I'm revising to 5 stars. I absolutely *love* this TV!

4.0 out of 5 stars Waited six months to write an honest review., November 7, 2013
I wanted to wait a few months before I made this review. That being said I am very happy with the purchase. I will keep it simple with a good/bad list.
The bad,
1. Start up screen/ black screen seems to have shades of light (some describe as pizza effect from actual screen glass).
2. Sometimes glitchy in the apps. Netflix sometimes locks up and YouTube sometimes just shuts down, and it's had 3-4 software updates that I'm aware of.
3. If you are going to be viewing this tv from a close range this probably isn't the one for you. That being said up close is not where it shines.
4. Blacks aren't as dark as I would like, but it's an led so it's expected.
5. Not too impressed with the 3d. Seems like the further away you are from the tv the better it gets, but maybe it's just me?
6. Remote is nothing special, but it gets the job done.
7. Can't change any tv settings when you are in an app.
What I like about it,
1. Has an awesome color/ picture when viewed 5-6 feet away.
2. Sound is better than expected.
3. Love the wifi- apps. Use them more than expected.
4. Has a WOW factor from a viewing standpoint, and not some crazy design like some tv's this size. Get complements on it a lot.
5. Is a very practical smart tv. You do not need a PhD to operate the wifi or app features or remote.
6. Sony support was great when I called with a few questions.
Over all this has been a great fit for me. I know they say bigger is better, but if you have a smaller room and plan on getting a 70"+ tv you probably need to get a 4k for the up close viewing. I would recommend this line of SONY tv's to anyone that is in the market for a smart tv. Hope this information helps you make a smart purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Picture Quality, June 30, 2013
Here are the picture settings I got from calibrating this Sony TV using Spears & Munsil HD Calibration Disc and a second free calibration disc. I also pulled & compared several settings from the AVS Forum where many posters had posted their calibration settings (thanks to previous reviewer DCT for the link to the AVS Forum).

Open Settings, choose Eco then turn OFF Light Sensor
Open Settings, choose Picture, then Picture Mode and choose Custom.
Scroll down and then turn OFF Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction, Motionflow & CineMotion
Scroll down and choose Advance Settings, then turn off Adv. Contrast Enhancer, Black Corrector, Clear White, Live Color and LED Motion Mode (set Gamma to zero)
Scroll up and make the following settings:
Backlight: 5
Picture: 85 (Picture, or contrast, adjusts the intensity of light and brightens white images)
Brightness: 53 (Brightness adjusts the level of black images)
Color: 48
Hue: 0
Sharpness: Min (0) - Set no higher than 8
Color Temperature: Neutral
Scroll down to Advance Settings and then set Adv. Contrast Enhancer to Low

This looks spectacular with a Hi-Def source, but looks way too bright when viewing Standard Def channels. So I set up a 2nd setting in the Picture Mode of Standard.

Open Settings, choose Picture, then Picture Mode and choose Standard (choosing Vivid does not give you access to Advance Settings).
Picture: 42
Brightness: 50
Color: 40
Hue: 0
Sharpness: Min (0)
Color Temperature: Neutral
Scroll down to Advance Settings then set Adv. Contrast Enhancer to Medium
Leave everything else set to off or zero

I leave the television's Picture Mode in Standard while channel surfing (Hi & Standard Definition). I switch Picture Mode to Custom (press the OPTIONS button on your remote and choose Picture Mode) when I'm watching Hi-Def channel, movie or blueray. These settings may not exactly match the settings that will work in your room, and I'm certainly no expert, but this should get you started.

The picture quality is stunning and the passive 3D is just plain fun to watch. My only issue is that I cannot get the Netflix app to connect to Netflix. Sony's tech support has been unable to fix the issue either. The included Amazon Instant Video app and all other apps work fine.

Edit 07/20/2013: Sony's tech support fixed the Netflix connection issues. We had to customize the TV's network IP settings and now connects fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solution for blank screen during gaming on xbox, ps3 or while watching movies, August 22, 2013
C. Vela (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Just a quick note on how to fix the annoying issue of the TV going blank while gaming or trying to watch a movie; It seems that Sony is having a little fun with us with their eco settings and the TV seemingly interprets the change of source like a game or movie as an incorrect single and you will end up with a blank screen resulting in having to turn the TV off and back on again which is highly cumbersome;

The simple solution is as follows:

Click "Home" Button on the remote

Scroll down and select Settings

Scroll down and select Eco

Turn all Settings in the Eco menu to Off

Problem solved and you should have no issues with the blank screen going forward; Hope this helps and that you enjoy the TV as much as I do!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing picture, 3D & Poor Side Angle View, October 31, 2013
C. Tukkadi (Frisco,TX USA) - See all my reviews
I brought Sony 70 inch panel R550A (Sony KDL-70R550A) to replace my 60 inch LG Plasma TV. When I first switch "On" this TV, I was so disappointed and remembering my previous TV and how good it was. Colors and picture was not looking good on this new TV. I was playing with settings, that's it. TV start displaying solid/vibrant colors and amazing picture. This TV really need settings adjustment to make you happy on your purchase. I am listing my settings below, hoping it might be help you on fine tuning your TV.

Sony advertised this TV give a Theatre like 3D, yes.. believe me, 3D is amazing on this TV. I also have 46 inch Sony NX711 3D TV which is active 3d model, but I like the 3D on R550A. This TV comes with 4 pair of Sony passive 3D glasses. I purchased additional 4 pairs for each $9.99.

I am using Sony sound bar Sony HT-CT660 as external sound for my TV. Sony HT-CT660 will take 3 HDMI inputs and it has one HDMI out. You have to connect Sound bar's HDMI out to TV's ARC HDMI port. On back of TV, you will see HDMI 1 port have ARC (Audio Return Channel). If you connected to HDMI ARC, you do not need a separate audio out cable from TV to connect your home theatre systems. HDMI ARC will send the audio to your home theater through HDMI cable while video is playing on TV. This is useful when you are watching the YouTube or Netflix etc. on TV using built in Wi-Fi feature.

Connected to Wi-Fi and it is fast enough to view Netflix, Youtube and other internet apps.

This TV also has the web browser, so you can browse the websites. I tried to browse the [...] the entire website's home page displayed on the TV screen. Looks beautiful. The only issue I felt, it is not easy to click the links on the website using remote. I think wireless keyboard and mouse might be help on browsing the site, but I didn't tried. I am happy with my laptop to browse the sites. I want to use my TV to watch the video content, but not for browsing sites.

One of the feature on this TV is "Screen Mirroring". If you have Sony cell phone or Sony tablet, you can mirror the phone and tablet's content to TV using wireless connection. I have iphone and ipad, so I am not depending on this feature. I always use Apple TV (Apple TV MD199LL/A ) to mirror my ipad on TV screen. The good thing about Apple TV is, it works with any TV equipped with HDMI port. So I am good here.

I rated this TV as 4 stars due to one reason. Side view is not good on this TV. If your room is not wider, probably you might not noticed the side angle issues. I noticed, if I move away from TV screen to more than 30 degrees left or right, picture looks with faded colors. I was reading somewhere, this TV is not suitable for wall mount due to side angle issues. Anyways, I mounted to wall and I liked it on the wall.

I would like to give 5 out 5 for this TV, but due to side angle view issues, my overall rating is 4 stars.

The settings I am listing here will improve the picture quality and minimize the side angle view issues.

Picture Mode: Custom
Noise Reduction: Medium
MPEG Noise Reduction: Medium
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 1
Advance Settings: Off (All settings are Off; Gamma is 0)

Eco Settings: Off (All settings under Eco, Off)

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word...WOW, August 15, 2013
I have literally been buying a new TV on average every year and a half or so. I always go for the mid line, new technology as I feel that's where I get the most value. This time, I knew exactly what I wanted. I was looking for an LED with at least 120MHZ refresh rate somewhere between 47-55 inches. When I found this, I thought something had to be wrong for a Sony (which I've always looked at as top of the line) to meet all these specs and be at this price. What's even better is it is a 2013 model Sony. I was skeptical until I turned the TV on. Wow. Picture is beautiful; right out of the box. Amazing clarity, color, blacks, you name it. SEN apps work perfect. Internet set up super easy. Only drawback is remote could be a little nicer, but that is hardly worth mentioning at this value. For this price, good luck finding better. Super satisfied with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best 70 available, August 5, 2013
I'm pretty happy with my 70 incher.

The image is amazingly brilliant. I love the depth, color, contrast - just overall a really nice picture once properly calibrated.

I was concerned originally because of the clouding on black scenes that is inherent to LCD and that issue was obvious on this tv in my VERY dark room. But I learned a few things. First was to loosen the 8 screws at the corners of the frame. Didn't seem to make a difference. Then I massaged the screen with a microfiber towel while it was on. This made the most dramatic improvement. It spread out the clouding, making it almost unnoticeable. Then I was instructed to let some light in the room - don't watch it in a cave. And reduce the backlighting a bit. Now I don't believe I can see ANY clouding.

The apps on the tv itself run fine enough, if not great, but I use the PS3 99.9% of the time for that anyhow. All inputs are run through a Darbee and look great to awesome. I highly recommend a Darbee for any big display.

I had a Vizio E series for a month and hated it. The picture was nice, but the apps were sluggish. The wifi unusable and the LED edge lighting looked horrible. The audio never matched the image - always out of time. The tv would freeze up, make a loud "pop" and shut off. It was worth the extra money to buy this Sony. No regrets. I cannot see any edge lighting "dots" on the Sony.

I did like the way Vizio has their jacks to plug in parallel to the back of the tv where the Sony has them come in at a 90. That could make it a little difficult for those of you that want the tv snug against the wall. Mine is on a full-motion mount and so I have plenty of room, but some tilt-only mounts may make it a bit tight for cabling sticking straight out the back. That's just a stupid design Sony! I can't comment on the stand that comes with it as mine is wall mounted. I would have liked one more analog audio in, but no display EVER gives you all the ports you want.

I never thought I'd care for 3D, but have found that I actually do like it. The tv's simulated 3D for 2D sources brings out alot of detail that would otherwise go unnoticed. I love that this tv is passive 3D = cheap glasses.

Gaming has been awesome. I don't play on-line so can't comment about any lag with multi-player games. I've noticed no lag playing campaign mode. Oh, and 3D gaming is AWESOME! Audio ALWAYS matches the video on every source I put to it. It never needs adjusting.

I like the somewhat matte screen. Cannot stand the mirror screens of Samsung. I hate seeing reflections in my tv and a 70 inch is an awful lot of flat area to pick up every little light in the room. No issues here.

Flat screens never have enough sound for me so you really should do something extra for the sound. I tried soundbars over the years and hate them. I never want an HT set up in my bedroom (where this tv is) so years ago I just added some remote speakers with their own amps to the nightstands of the bed. I ran 3.5mm stereo cables to 'em and the sound is perfect for what I wanted. The tv has a 3.5mm audio out - perfect.

The menus are a little convoluted but with enough time, you learn your way around them fast enough. I don't use motion flow control as I HATE soap opera effect. Most if not all PQ fake effects are set to "off".

No freakish behavior from this tv at all. I don't give it 5 stars simply because it has the clouding that I had to deal with. Even if that is normal for LCD, doesn't mean I gotta like it. The 50 inch Panny plasma that this is replacing had ZERO issues to overcome except for being too small after 5 years and producing alot of heat as plasmas do. Only an issue because I live in the desert. Anyhow, LCD has some shortcomings that I do not feel plasmas have so I doubt I would ever give any LCD 5 stars. And you can believe all the trash talk about plasmas if you want, but I never experienced any problems. I switched to LCD simply because of the heat, prices and choices in 70+ inch displays.

Anyhow, so glad I didn't decide to exchange this set. It would have been over the very minor clouding, but I think that has been managed now. It's been a month with this tv and now I can finally breakdown and store the box away in the garage. She's a keeper!

Time to enjoy it......

BTW, at the time I placed the Amazon order it was $2199 delivered and came with a promotional:
*Year of Netflix,
*Year of Hulu Plus,
*30 days of Sony Music Unlimited (junk) and
*2% cashback rewards good on Amazon.

NOTE: Amazon delivery does not help you set it up, mount it or put it on the stand - NOTHING. Pilot sends ONE guy with a dolly. You help him carry it in and unbox it. He plugs it in to make sure the screen comes on and that's it. Amazon would have you to believe that their delivery of big tvs is something special. From the 3 I've had delivered, not so. Plan on having a buddy help you to lift it onto the stand or wall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, June 2, 2013
TV is everything we expected. Great picture, huge screen. All of my buddies are jealous (until bigger TV's are more mainstream....) For those of you wondering what the actual box size is, so you can say put it in your car, it's 69.5 X 40.3 X 8.5 inches.