Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS

on September 12, 2012
I have the Sony Xperia P a month ago. The experience is amazing. Screen is 4" clear and Brilliant, Excellent manufacturing, updated to Android ICS. The features that I love are the Walkman (included in the ICS update), TimeScape, TrackID, the 8 MP Camera with outstanding video recording and the console for conectivity that used with smart tags do the transition between office and my home an smooth experience.

This console permit me to save battery adjusting the synchro time of my apps and the use of the screen (all time in top brilliant adjust), it last two days without recharge using 3G net and WiFi connections for a lot of service. Maybe could be better.

If you are looking for a midrange Cellular with a high quality-price ratio, the choice is Sony Xperia P.
0Comment28 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2012
This is my first & last Sony phone. All my previous phones had been from Nokia and I recently jumped ship just as they got into bed with Microsoft. They weren't always the best available phones but they were well made and tough as hell (as the Nokia meme would suggest). So to say I was apprehensive when switching to a new brand would be an understatement.

The Good:

-The screen is plenty bright and just-right in size for web browsing, videos & texting
-While not the greatest, the camera takes decent photos and has a nifty panorama feature
-The aluminium case is sturdy and looks awesome. It drew admiration from my friends as it's not a common phone.

The Bad:

-The battery life is mediocre, at best. I manage to go about a day between charges but I'm not a heavy users. Mostly texting and calls but hardly any web surfing, streaming music or videos.
-Decent specs make it a smooth phone for most apps but the upgrade to 4.0 is a must. Even then GIFs don't work well as the phone seems to be bogged down. Not something that was expected seeing the spec sheet.
-Wi-fi isn't as quick as it should be. I tried a speed test using my old Nokia C6-01 and the Xperia P not only had worse wi-fi reception it was also ~25 kbps slower. It was from the same spot as well.

The WORST:
-This phone suffers from signal loss when held a certain way. It's very much like what the iPhone 4 suffered from. To make matters worse it loses signal in my pocket if the antenna is facing down. It seems ridiculous that the radio is so finicky. I have to turn on airplane mode for about 5 seconds, shut it off and then wait a few more seconds to get signal again. At worst I have to turn the phone off and restart it.

I definitely DO NOT recommend this phone. Save your money and go elsewhere. The hassle of losing signal constantly is worth paying more if you find something better.
11 comment11 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2012
I bought this on a short trip to the Bay Area among other things. I was excited to have a phone that was cheap and looked great to develop some Android apps (after rooting it). But I got a big surprise when I opened the box and it was empty! It did have some cables (USB cable and power adapter) but the phone was missing. I am really sad, because as I said before I thought this phone was going to be great, but I am sure this problem will be solved thanks to Amazon's great customer support, and when that happens I will be happy to actually grade this phone based on its performance on day to day tasks.

UPDATE:

Amazon's customer service was great without asking a single question they sent me another phone, is there any company in the world that has such a great customer service as Amazon's?

UPDATE:
Awesome Phone, has some great hardware and a sleek look. It is great for the puropse I bought it (Android App Development) and as previously stated Amazon's support is terrific
on December 6, 2012
This is a very good phone with latest features from android. When I bought this phone, i got an ICS version of android already installed (I didn't have to install ICS, it was already there as SONY promised to come out with ICS version soon). But, the only problem as we all know was the battery. I had to charge my phone every one and a half day (one charge per 35-40 hrs) which was actually not so good. But, after a recent update which came out in 12/03/12, my batter life has improved almost twice!!! Good processor, excellent display, excellent camera, excellent sound, very good battery life, latest android features with no lags for just $300? Take that haters!!! Trust me, I like my phone better after comparing with iPhone 5 which my brother bought recently. I am not exaggerating because I have this phone. I have owned a variety of phones before with different operating system like iOS, webOS and android. I think android is better among all, with iOS being second and webOS third. Definitely a 5 star after battery life improvement!
on November 6, 2012
Waited one week to write my review.
This phone is very beautiful on the outside and the screen quality leaves most of the competition behind(no competitors when looking at price)
Phone shipped in one day and arrived very quickly. Hassle Free Shipping included a UK to US adapter free(Very Grateful)
I was looking forward to extra screen protector and hdmi cable as i saw in some reviews but i was let down as this box does not come with any.

Pros:
Phone is very Fast for browsing and gaming and lots more.
Beautiful premium aluminium design.
Stunning screen for even the finest text and HD video playback.
Audio is great especially through the premium earphone it came with.
Call quality is superb and so is the reception.
Camera is awesome though in complex scenes i did notice an amplified yellow tone on sun lit surfaces.
Sony Timescape User interface has been a wonderful interface and the hotspot feature works without rooting!!!
Upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich and waiting for JellyBean soon as promised by Sony.
Charges relatively fast

Cons:
BATTERY serves over a day ONLY IF your screen, wifi, hspa(4G), vibrate, and other things is OFF.... that's bad because that's why people buy smartphones in the fist place.
I have been cycling my recharges and i'm getting about a full day on normal usage(before it used to drain 1% every 5mins

[update]
The ICS update causes the led light to only work when the phone is unlocked. This is straight across the board for all xperia p users who updated to ICS. thats Sony's issue to fix though.

Summary:
I Strongly Recommend the silver xperia p for the best looks and features in Android for the price but if you are gonna have your screen on alot then get a different phone or buy a portable usb backup like the one i'm getting from PowerGen($29). Also getting a USB OTG cable to attach my 32gb flash drive because i don't wanna store movies on my phone.
on April 4, 2013
I bought this phone againt Samsung S3 Mini and it was really a good decision, camera is excellent, display is vibrant and clear, battery is good. I use this phone for a week now and I've downloaded a lot of applications and it is still running as smooth as when I bought it. Design is also excellent, the aluminum back is made very carefully and the general result is very satisfactory. If you are deciding between this smartphone and the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini i would tell you to buy the Xperia P.
on December 12, 2012
I have four months to py xperia phone is excellent, the size is great, the screen is beautiful, with true colors, works great in Venezuela with Digitel and Movistar, for surfing the internet is perfect, and upgrade to android 4.0 and works best even, really is tremendous phone and am very happy with. if you want something even better than recommend the xperia xperia p S. The only thing that sometimes bothers is the battery life but that's not important considering that all smartphones market same thing happens because the screens are big and huge processors and the number of tasks that are able to do, really recommend it as a top smartphone market
on February 18, 2013
Absolutely love this phone mind you though this is the first smartphone I have owned so I did a lot of research before buying one. I looked at the iphone and other smartphones and I was surprised by the quality and craftsmanship that Sony does with their phones.
I took it to the AT&T store to activate and they had no problem with it in fact they really liked it and got compliments from them. I hate having the same thing that everyone else does so I felt that the Xperia P was the perfect phone for me and I haven't had any complaints since I bought it about three months ago.
on May 19, 2013
It's so bad that I want to throw this phone away. It can't detect the signal at all. I have to restart the phone constantly in order to text my friends. This phone is a garbage. You can't do anything with it. Holding the phone makes me feel like I am holding a toy.
on April 10, 2013
un muy bueno telefono calidad de diseño facil de usar muchas apilcaciones a un precio economico tiene todo lo que se necesita lo recomiendo