After testing a few different IEM's, I feel these Sony's are some of the best sounding I've heard yet. The type of music I have been testing these on: Movie and Video Game soundtracks.

Compared to the Brainwavz R1:
Published 22 months ago by Paul J. Fortunato

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price at $19
I paid $19, and at that price point it's the best. Unfortunately, the price went up fast so the bang for the buck isn't the same anymore. It's not very well built, feels cheap, and the flat cable is useless as all flat cables. 5 stars if you pay $19.
Published 5 months ago by Daniel Romanholli

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed sound, entertaining sound signature for a great price., November 10, 2012
Paul J. Fortunato (Roseville, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MH1C Black Livesound Hi-Fi Stereo In-Ear Headphones Earphones Headsets Head-sets Earpieces - Mobile Phone Repair Part Replacement (Wireless Phone Accessory)

Compared to the Brainwavz R1:
The R1 edges out the Sony's in overall soundstage size, and has more bass but that is where the R1's positives over these Sony's end. These Sony's offer up much more detail, better instrument separation, much more accurate bass and a more mid forward presentation (much more so than the R1's which tend to have the mids more recessed).

Compared to the much more expensive RE-ZEROs:
The Sonys are almost as detailed in the upper range as the RE-ZEROs, but this is where the RE-ZERO's are at their best. What the Sony's offer that the RE-ZERO's don't is a much warmer, more pleasing overall sound with more bass and lower-midrange. Personally, I'll take some less upper-range detail for a warmer sound signature anyday and it is why I consider these Sony's to be far superior to the more analytical RE-ZEROs.

To my ears, these Sony's sound quite similar to the popular Sennheiser HD 280 Pro cans (though their soundstage isn't quite as spacious as the Senns) and are more than worth the $30. For me, the sound is so satisfying, I don't care to look elsewhere for "better" headphones because I think I'd have to spend $150+ to get a better sound.

CONS: J-cord is a bit frustrating, no carry case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, November 4, 2012
Forget the "For $20 blah blah blah" disclaimer. These headphones are amazing for the majority of the universal price range. They wipe the floor with everything under $100 and legitimately compete with headphones up to $200-$300. They require absolutely no EQ unless you prefer to tone down the bass some. They are the definition of a SMOOTH sound. No harsh highs to be found here. They are a tad difficult to drive and are almost begging to be amped. They still sound great unamped though. You will need to make use of the included shirt clip to relieve the weight of the remote on the left bud. The included tips provide very good isolation and seal. Bravo to the engineers of this MH1C!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like all the other Head-Fi members and lurkers I to was bitten by the MH1C bug, November 16, 2012
Like everyone else I heard about these on Head-Fi and since they were so cheap I picked up a pair. The MH1C is an outstanding IEM for the price and can easily hold its own vs others over $100, now over $300 is a bit of a stretch imo. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about them because there's enough info out there on them like at Head Fi. I'm just going to say that if you want a warm detailed IEM with good bass impact and depth as well as a nice soundstage for under $50 or even $100 then these little Sony's are the way to go, I think the sound better than the A161p and EPH-100 and both are $100 or more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Believe the hype!, December 18, 2012
Christopher Choi (Los Angleles CA USA) - See all my reviews
After reading ClieOS's review on headfi([...]) and seeing all the rave reviews all over the internet, I had to buy myself a pair. I was not disappointed.

I unpacked em, and plugged em into my phone(It's Voodoo Sound enabled, so it's quality). I started off with my standard testing track Hotel California from the '01 remaster on DVD-A ripped to flac. The 12 string guitar was bright, the stereo panning of the maracas and cymbals was perfect,the bass drums had the right amount of kick...I was sitting there in awe. The only other pair of IEMs that had a similar amount of detail (especially when it comes to the clicking of cymbals, the racking of pick over guitar,etc) that I had listened to is the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 which retails for $300 and has three drivers! +1 for the sonys

Next up was Cosmic Love by florence+ the machine (CD rip). Florence sounded just right and I was awestruck at how detailed the harp at the beginning was!

No Suprises by Radiohead(CD rip) was impressive as well...I could hear a bit of that analog tape hiss at the beginning of the track,something that I've only been able to hear with the UEs!

Unfortunately, I do not like the cable layout(need to loop behind the neck) and the included tips don't hold em in your ears well but otherwise, for $30, these are one of the best IEMs on the market! And to think these were packins!

5.0 out of 5 stars After much research, I chose these., December 7, 2012
I'm the kind of person that spends unhealthy amounts of time researching things before buying them. For that reason, I buy pretty much everything besides groceries and necessities on amazon. I didn't know much about headphones before buying these so I spent a few weeks doing research. I went through researching some of the best headphones in the <80 price range. I narrowed everything in order from what I thought was best to worst: Vsonic GR06, Shure SE215, Brainwaves M2, Klipshe IMAGE S4. I then realized I wanted something with more bass for the electronic I listen to. Therefore, I stumbled across the Atrio Future Sonic M7 and the triple fi 10. Unfortunately, both were more than I wanted to spend. Right as I was about to buy the Vsonic GR06, I stumbled across the headfi forum talking about the MH1C's. Numerous people raved about the MH1C's over the Vsonic GR06, the Shures, the Brainwaves, and the S4's. Further, they raved about the bass, especially the mid-bass. For $30 these are far superior to my Samsung headphones that come with the galaxy nexus. However, there is no doubt that they need to be burned in. I may not be an audiophile, but I recognize that they sound a lot better now after burning them in for 30 or so hours so far than they did when I first got them. When I first got them, I actually wasn't too happy. I compared them back and forth with the Samsung headphones and actually favored my Samsung headphones. However, after comparing again after 30 hours of burn in, there is no doubt that the MH1C's sound better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the price at $19, April 7, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent IEMs and a Great Value!!, November 16, 2013
Robert N (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
Absolutely love these. I have other IEMs that are many times the cost of these but I keep coming back to these earphones.

Are they better, or as good as the more expensive sets? No IEM that I have heard is perfect, but I have only purchased sets up to +/- $300, and as good as they are they do have their minor annoying quirks and limitations.

I listen to a variety of music, but more often than not, it is symphonic, chamber or ensemble performed in a hall or studio designed for that purpose. In addition to the instrument and/or voice being recorded, the acoustic characteristics of the hall or studio contribute to recorded sound. These IEMs provide that discernible level of detail for me. I have more expensive sets that will provide a slightly more detailed leading edge on the recorded instrument or voice, but not necessarily more detail in the overall spectrum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great iems for price, June 18, 2013
I like them. They are darn near on par with my shure se215. But my shures are definitely a heck of a lot more comfortable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Great - but that cord..., April 22, 2013
These headphones sound wonderful - easily beat other headphones I've purchased for the $20-30 range (currently using a JVC headphone). But the flat, asymmetric length cord drives me crazy! It torques the earpiece out of your ears if it even has as much as a half twist and the cord sticks to your skin so it tends to pull on the earpiece when you move. Too bad!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an audiophile, but left me wanting more low-end. Clarity is GREAT., January 29, 2013
I don't think the clarity could get any better, but one area that is crucial for me that left me wanting more was bass. Even with the proper tips for my ears, I felt like the bass was definitely sub-par, controlled and clear but almost non-existent. That said, the clarity and quality of these are obvious. If you're not a bass-head, these have HUGE value for the price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›