Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on DOTD

• Customer Reviews

TOP 100 REVIEWERon May 30, 2013
I have an addiction. I admit it. When I see headphones go up on lightning deals I instinctively hit buy. I have owned at least a dozen earbuds over the past few years. Everything from $5-$115. I am active and use these at the gym daily. I don't do cardio but sweat a ton when I work out. Before I even get into pros/cons let me tell you that these are the first pair to last 3 months without issue. No fading, no one ear out, nothing!

Lets start:

7/14/2014 - I'm going out of order here, time traveling above parts of my review that we're written earlier. I told you below that I would check in on the one year anniversary and I missed it. OVER A YEAR LATER and these things are just as good as the day I got them. A few silicone pieces came off (my fault) but besides that they are perfect. Good quality electronics need to be celebrated and we NEED to push business in this direction. The horrible builds of items like J-Labs are gaining market share because their customer service swarms you notion that you should review quick and they put more money into the follow up emails than the quality of the headphones themselves. If you want a long standing quality earbud buy these now. . . . or read the below for more encouragement.

11/22/2013 update - 6 Months with no sound degradation. The hole in my heart that Sony has created is one that can never be filled. The days of rationalizing impulse headphone purchases are over. No longer will I feel the smooth lining of an unopened package of headphones. The thrill of the unknown, which is to say the inopportune times in which one ear would suddenly cut out mid workout. Sony has taken the fun of online shopping from me by making these headphones perfect. I guess i'll have to find another impulse purchase hobby.

Appearance - Its no Giant B on your ear, but the disc that sticks out is ugly.

I was not happy with these when I first purchased them. They sound better than JLab but not as good as Kplish S4I's. There is no over abundance of base, actually it is lacking a little. When turned all the way up the Bass under performs.

Consistency is key here. I beat these things up and I'm confident in them every time I grab them and head to the gym. I've learned not to rate products on Sound quality alone. I've also learned to wait a few months before praising a product. How many times do people pick up their JLab headphones say "THESE THINGS ARE GREAT!" write a review and then 3 weeks later they break. How many of those people come back here and change their review? P.S. I was a faithful JLab customer until they messed me over on a pair of defective buds twice.

There is absolutely nothing worse than showing up ready to lift with one earbud out and have Taylor Swifts terrible voice seep in from the broken ear. If you want headphones that last, go with Sony.

Update: 8/18/2013

They still sound exactly the same as when I first purchased them. No distortion, no partial loss of volume. Great quality!

Update 11/22/2013

Not a bit of sound degradation. Who will give up first, my headphones or gym regimen. Star upgrade from 4 to 5. I have never had a pair last this long under such strenuous conditions. I'm treating this review like a relationship, we have hit the 6 month mark so no more celebrations until our one year anniversary. If they should break before that time you can be assured that I will make an update, however if things are still lady and the tramp well then I expect to update you all in 6 months.

Update 12/31/2013 - Getting this off of my chest before the start of the new year. I cheated. I felt wrong doing it, nothing to complain about at home. My greed overcame me and I reverted back to my old ways. The mystery of a 2 for $6 grab bag was too much to handle. Especially around the holidays which is a headphone purchasing addicts equivalent of Ultra for those whom enjoy Molly. In the end I was reminded of why I love these Sonys so much. The Mystery bag gave me a pair of headphones "worth $30" which sounded absolutely atrocious. My wandering eye has cost me sores for life, eyesores, that sit in a bag with their bright red wiring just staring back at me begging for attention.

Update: 12/10/2014 - Still going strong! They fell out of my car and sat in the street overnight. Picked them up dusted them off and they still work amazing!

Feel free to ask any questions below. Happy shopping!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Sony MDR-ED12LP $12
JVC HAFX1X vs $18
Etymotic ER23-HF3 $100

Winner: Sony MDR-EX210B

I have been listening to a lot of EDM, House, and Trance lately. I needed something with good bass. Not just muffled loud bass, but clear bass. I also of course I also wanted crystal clear mid's and high's.

I tested all headphones with popular song "Walls" by Ned Shepard & Tiesto. In the first few seconds of the song there is a thundering bass that fades. Sony MDR-EX210B was the only headphone that allowed me to distinguish between the different bass notes and it felt thundering in an enclosed space like in a movie theater or at a rave right in front of the speakers, but yet was still crystal clear. 5 stars on comfort as well. Thanks Sony, you've still got it!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2012
I have used a lot of different headphones. Bose, Klipsh, Sony, Panasonic...etc. These Sony earbuds, for around $30, offer the best value by far. I have used mine for only about two weeks so I can't speak to durability but the range they deliver is superior to most other earbud style headphones I have tried. They come with three different sizes (for the ear piece). The middle ones fit my ears perfectly and don't slip when I'm working out (mainly running). Terrific bass and crisp treble. The only other headphones I have tried that are comparable cost around $100.
on July 26, 2013
I'm not really an Audiophile, but I play the Piano, Guitar and Cello, so i know if something is out of tune or not right. Sony is known for their sound engineering throughout the years and I was kinda skeptical becuase of the price, but to be staight forward, These Earphones are comparable to brands like Bower & Wilkins, AKG and Harman Kardon, even with 16-bit music.
It comes with a nice bag and a small cord adjuster.

My Review: Sound adapts to any genre and is really clear, better than brands that people claim, like Bose.

Comfort: No ear Pain so far, Silicone is soft and doesn't have that "stiff rubber feel".
Bass: Very Defined Surround feel, Studio quality, Perfect for listening to Orchestra Symphonies, Bass solos, Rock and Pop.
Mids: Perfect
Highs: Doesn't produce an annoying high sound, good definition with Violin music and Pop.
Sustain: Great
Vocals: It's like the singer is singing beside you.
Noise Isolation: reduces around 70% in Noisy environments.

has a minor hiss with some devices.

Been using it for 1 Month.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2012
I paid about $20 at Walmart for these, but after owning them for some three years, I would gladly pay the $49 here to replace them. They show no signs of breaking or wearing out, however, and their sound quality is just as good as ever. They produce strong bass and mids with no compromise in clarity. (As a bass player of seven years, I appreciate this more than most.) The muffled - too much mids - sound found in standard I-pod headphones is nonexistent, and the piercing - too much highs - sound found in others is not there either. These headphones maintain a perfect balance of sound throughout all kinds of music. They are also more comfortable than any other pair of headphones I have ever worn. It is possible to listen for hours without any discomfort so long as I am wearing the right size earpiece. (They give you three: small, medium, and large. I use small.)
on January 17, 2014
With about 90% laudatory reviews vs 10% crabby outliers, I figured I wasn't doing a huge dice roll by ordering these.

I have some decent budget earbuds, including JLab JBud 3s, some really for-the-money superb 10-buck Panasonic RP-TCR5-Ks and some ungodly bass heavy V-Modas. The JLabs and Panasonics are nice listening earbuds, but both are a bit thin on bass (even though I am anything but a bass-head) and tend to get tinkly on treble, though most of time they are pretty pleasant.

So I wanted a reasonable upgrade, something that offered a fuller sound, more balanced tonal range, and still had what I value most in music: solid, clean mids and clear, clean highs, especially vocals. With their relatively-mega 13.5mm driver (vs 8-9mm on my other buds) and the many rave reviews and $30 price tag, I concluded these were the best bang for the buck buds.

Was i ever right.

Amazing audio, and not just with that "for the money" qualifier. Amazing, period. I got these two days ago (so I cannot yet speak to their longevity, but build quality seems solid) and gave them a test drive through a wide variety of music: pop, rock, folk, classical, jazz, others. The verdict on all genres was this: Winner.

Here's a route sampler.

1. Samuel Barber's 'Adagio for Strings" (that many of you know from the soundtrack of the film "Platoon"): A slow, measured haunting, sometimes soaring piece sublimely delivered to my ears via these Sonys.

2. Bob Dylan's 'Brownsville Girl", an 11-minute musical story with HUGE (totally atypical for BD) production values, including what sounds like a full orchestra backing him up, and all-female chorus on the refrain. All kinds of sounds here from Dylan's signagture rasp to the chorus' elegant harmony to the full-bloom orchestral backdrop. Best listening experience for me ever for this song. Sounds just swirling around everywhere, wide soundstage, crisp highs, potent mids, rich bass, each sound discrete but still combining to create a radiant harmonic whole. I just love how this song sounds through these buds.

3. Morton Gould's 'American Salute', a veritable sound explosion; room (or head) filling, full-throttle, propulsive 3+ minutes of full sheer orchestral power----but with some crystal clear chimes jumping out at you early on. Absolutely majestic rendering through the EX-210s. I liked this so much that I hit repeat twice.

4. Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah" by both Cohen himself, and also K.D. Lang. VERY different sonic experiences. Cohen has this rumbling, powerful perpetual bass of a voice and it comes through brilliantly, set off and complemented by the rising mids and highs of the background chorus. K.D. Lang's version is, well, ethereal. No other word for it. Same song, but WAY different. K.D. Lang's, in particular, seemed custom-built for these buds, and what they can produce.

5. The live version of 'Tusk' by Fleetwood Mac. My god. A thumping, driving meld of drums, full brass section, and primal vocals. What a trip this is via the Sonys. Highs, mids, bass all tossed into one big bowl and tossed around, every sound separate but still unified. This may have been best of all now that I think about it. Hypnotic.

Also did some Springsteen, some Stones, Knopfler, main title from "Lord of the Rings". Oh, and some beautiful tenor with Tommy Fleming doing the Irish traditional 'Raglan Road'----a wavering, poignant masterpiece. Never heard this song sound more aching than through the Sonys.

A lot more. But you get the idea.

For $30, it's like listening to a nonstop live performance, no matter then genre.

So I guess you can infer that I like these.
on August 9, 2013
I've owned $5 headphones and $100 headphones and these are worth just about the $15 I paid for them. Just keep in mind that they're $15 headphones and you'll be plenty satisfied.

My praise for this set comes from it's design. Turning the drivers sideways allows for slightly deeper bass than other designs (although still on par with $15). I can never find headphones that fit in my ears but these will not budge even on a run (haven't tried under a helmet).

The cord is my negative for this set, it's too long for PT use and the rubber used is not ideal for this application.
on September 16, 2012
Definitely a fan of the sound quality, although compared to the Klipsch Pro-media earbuds I bought a couple years ago (on sale for $45), these don't come close. But hey, those are retail about $110, so won't judge too hard. The biggest downside is the cord. It feels like what you would find on a $10 cheapo set, but I paid $40 retail for these. I have pretty bad experiences with headphones, and a 90 day warranty with a poor-quality cord will probably result in a not so good situation. Will be returning them this week because of this. If you don't mind the low quality cable and are in it for the sound, I would recommend them. The bass is ridiculous! Mids and Trebles are sometimes washed out, but not too severely. sound-wise I would pay $30 for these. Cord-wise, maybe $20.
on August 14, 2012
I have owned these headphones for a little over a week and they are great: sound is crisp, the bass is rich and vocals sound great, even at high volume. It comes with three sets of ear buds (small, medium and large), caring pouch and cable holder. I listen to music on my Android Phone most of the time, but to really appreciate the true quality of the sound I'd recommend using an iPod,or any other "media dedicated" device.

In my experience, with these kind of headphones, the ear buds you choose and how you put them in your ears make a huge difference in the quality of sound. I find myself listening to music for hours at a time without any discomfort in my ears. The headphones are not noise cancelling, but they isolate very well the external noises at the right volume. I want to point out the built of the product feels somewhat fragile so I would like to see how these headphones perform overtime. They are very light and comfortable, but also the cable seems to be a little bit thin compared to some other headphones I've owned. In my opinion, these headphones are worth the price and produce an excellent sound.
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2013
I was a bit skeptical about the sound quality of this item but that was all erased with the first use of this item. Bass is clear and virtually undistorted and highs are clear as well, and they are very comfortable to wear.