1,107 Reviews

Published on January 2, 2004 by redblue

1,157 of 1,175 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, June 4, 2004
Driver Ed (Goldens Bridge, NY (USA)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-IF240RK Wireless Headphone System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
This review is on the Sony MDR-IF240R not MDR-IF240RK, not sure if there's any difference. I needed a wireless headphone for the bedroom because I watch TV over 2 hours every night while my wife sleeps and about 2 hours early in the morning. I've also owned a wireless Sennheiser HDR60 and a wired Panasonic RP-HT970 Vibration Series Headphone. The Sennheiser worked fine, but their rechargeable battery (two included) would only last me about two days. I always had one recharging so I could swap it out, but it was still annoying to have it cut out in the middle of a program. After a year one of the batteries wouldn't hold a charge any more and when I saw how much a replacement battery cost, I decided to buy the Panasonic. Because it was wired, the Panasonic RP-HT970 sounded great, especially the bass effects with DVD's. It was very comfortable and I would still be using it, if I hadn't tripped on the cable and broke it. It had also been an obstacle for my wife when she had to walk across the room.
I decided to go wireless again and bought the Sony MDR-IF240R after reading reviews. I wanted a headphone that used standard batteries and wouldn't need constant replacing. I have cordless phones and a wireless PC network, so I decided having no interference using infrared was better than having the ability to go room to room using other technology. Since I only used it for TV viewing, I was willing to accept decent, if not great, sound quality. This headphone met all my requirements. I put in one standard AAA battery instead of the rechargeable battery that came with it and I haven't had to change it in over two weeks of constant use (4 hours/day).
The headphones are mostly plastic and look a bit cheap. They are fairly comfortable, but if I tilt my head, they will fall off because the foam cushions are flat rather than cupped like the Sennheiser and the headband is rather flimsy. That would be my biggest complaint. Sony should also have provided a longer cable for the transmitter to allow more flexibility in placement. Sound quality is fine for TV viewing, but it can't compare to the quality of a wired headphone like the Panasonic which makes you feel like you're actually in a movie when played on DVD.
I have perfect reception using it at 12 feet and I've walked 45 degrees to the left and right without any loss. If something comes between the headphone and the transmitter, it will cut out, so positioning is very important. You can eliminate the hiss that others have mentioned, if you turn up the volume on the sound source (e.g. TV or Receiver) rather than turning up the volume control on the headphone. On the Sennheiser there was a tuning control, which I had to fiddle with in order to receive a signal, but the Sony doesn't have or need one.
In conclusion, this headphone met all my expectations, the price was reasonable and I would recommend it to others until someone comes out without something that has better sound quality and excellent battery life.
Sound quality - 4 stars (compared to other wireless)
Battery life - 5 stars
Range - 4 stars
Comfort - 4 stars
Fit and finish - 3 stars
Price - 4 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for tv, games, nok for music, January 2, 2004
These wireless headphones perform as advertised. Almost. I don't quite get the "24 feet" range but then again all the range I needed and expected was within a standard sized room. The convenience is freedom of movement within the room with decent fidelity to watch late night television or play computer games without distracting others. However the phones have a noticable hiss which is distracting for most music. Also a minor peeve is the plastic bar across the top. The bar is not padded and the phones have built-in springs which force the bar down on the top of your head. Noticably uncomforable for me after a while and I have a full head of hair. The comfort level is okay if you wear the phones draped along the back of your neck (which makes it tough to sit back in a high backed chair or lie down on the couch) or below your jaw (which makes it tough to munch on snacks in that position though). Or you can kludge it to a certain length with some electrical tape. Overall the phones are okay given the price. Just be sure that your expectations match what you are paying. If you want high fidelity and comfort and range, you will be better off paying up for another model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for TV watching; wish I'd ordered them sooner, April 7, 2006
These headphones are clearly not intended for listening to music at high quality. But I have been using them to listen to my TV, and am delighted with the ease of setup, ease of use, long battery life, and apparent immunity from interference.

You can't use them outside the room, and the sound quality is good but not great. Perfect for TV. Even if obstacles partly block the infrared path, the sound continues uninterrupted. The headphones are comfortable and light, and run for many hours before recharging.

I am totally satisfied with the product, and only wish I had ordered something like this years ago!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Infrared Headphones, February 2, 2004
By A Customer
These are good infrared headphones. Cons: infrared headphones have limited range. Pros: infrared interference has limited range! That is, you don't have to worry about your neighbor creating some signal that interferes with your headphones. Your walls, windows, etc are enough to block the interference. But the downside is that the device has limited field of view (only plus/minus 45 degrees from the stand, although you can rotate the transmitter to point that field of view where you want it). Range is not an issue; the headphones work well 20-30 feet to the back wall of my room. The signal doesn't go through walls so your headphones go silent if you go to the next room. Holding a newspaper or magazine high in front of your face is enough to make the signal cut out, too. Turning your head back and forth doesn't cause any reception problems (except when you turn *exactly* 90 degrees).
But I am very happy to have range and field of view limitations in exchange for interference-free reception. Another reviewer complained about an annoying hiss: this only occurs when you turn your TV down low and then crank up the headphone amplification (this is because the transmitter is then sending out such a small signal that the transmission noise is almost as large as the signal). Simply keep your TV volume high and the headphones amplification low and you will not be able to hear any hiss or static. To my untrained ears, they sound as good as corded headphones.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality / Cuts Out, August 3, 2007
When I originally purchased this item - I was very happy with it. However as time went on (2-3 months) the headphones would cut out every few minutes. All in all this would not have been terrible except every time it cut out- it would first elevate substantially in volume very quickly before cutting out with a loud "Pop".

I have already returned 2 sets and have had the same issue with all of them.

If they could get this issue worked out- they would be a wonderful product

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Headset, April 4, 2006
They do a great job. I got them to watch TV at night without disturbing others. The sound is great, no distortion by turning up the TV volume and lowering the one in the headset. Charge last a long time, charged them once over a week ago and still sounding great. I like that I can use any AAA battery when it runs down on charge, so I don't need for it to charge to use it, but if I place it in the charger/base once a week it keeps the charge, no problem with that at all.

On and off button on headset is a big plus, no need to get up to place on base after each use.

The sound quality is great and clear, even when watching TV and using my Wireless laptop, they don't interfere with each other. They are comfortable, not tight so that could be a problem for some people but I like them like that. If you want to walk around the house or go out in the yard while listening to music, these are not for you, these are for getting clear, great sound in the same room without interference. Once you walk out the door and have a wall in between you and the base you will loose the sound.

Get these if you just want to watch TV or listen to music while in the same room as your equipment. I loose the signal at 20 feet away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, October 3, 2011
I bought this primarily so I could sleep while my wife watches TV. I was very surprised by the sound quality-as good as home theater. The ease and comfort is another big plus. My wife loves them, and I get to sleep early.

2.0 out of 5 stars Died after 1 year, January 22, 2005
SFHandyman (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
I loved these headphones. Lightweight, never had to worry about charging them. You did have to stay in line of site with them, which was a little irritating. But my pair was flawed. After a few months the right side started to short out. The problem was in the volume control. It would short out at some levels. The right earpiece died completely at about 8 months. Now a few months later, both sides have shorted out. I bought them in December 03 and now January 05 they are dead. When I contacted Sony during warranty, I was given the choice to send them away for repair (I pay shipping). Seemed to be too much work and expense to save these headphones. Too bad. I liked the design.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product stopped working, November 9, 2006
The first unit worked OK for about a month but then just stopped transmitting, if you unplugged it and plugged it back in again it would work for about 5 minutes and then stop again. Returned it for a replacement and the exact same thing happened in 2 weeks. Returned second unit for credit and will buy something else. Both units had a lot of static, even at low to moderate volume levels

3.0 out of 5 stars Treadmill Interferes with Headset Reception, October 19, 2003
By A Customer
I bought this headset so I could watch a TV while using my Pacemaker treadmill. However, as soon as I turn on the treadmill I either get so much static I can't hear the TV or the sound disappears all together. There is no way to change to another frequency that might not cause as much interference. When the treadmill is off the sound quality seems good and the range is reasonable.

Rate and Discover Movies