1,835 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars your better-than-average headphones
Published on November 16, 2004 by C. Eltman

3.0 out of 5 stars About what you'd expect
I was looking for some small, lightweight headphones that I could wear while running and working out. Ruled out, of course, were the normal earbuds, which have a tendency to fall out at the gentlest breeze, or at least at the slightest tug or jar. So, to that end, I picked up a pair of Sony MDR-J10 h.ear clips.
First, the good. They're very light and reasonably...
Published on January 4, 2004 by Ikonomi

3.0 out of 5 stars About what you'd expect, January 4, 2004
Ikonomi (Houston.TX.USA) - See all my reviews
First, the good. They're very light and reasonably comfortable for something that's sticking just into your ear. No problem. The clips work very well -- no matter how hard I work I can't get them to fall off. It might help that they tend to get tangled in my hair. I personally prefer the clip style to a headband -- this way, there's absolutely nothing to bounce around while you're running. I should also mention that they look very sleek worn.
The cable features an adjustable restraint, above the normal fixed thing that marks the beginning of the dual cord, so you'll never have too much cord flying around your neck.
Second, the bad. The cord is a bit shorter than I'm used to, but hey, no problem. The sound from these features a whole lot of midrange without a lot of bass or even treble definition. You have to remember, however, that the drivers in these things measure in at like thirteen millimeters, so if you're expecting Sennheiser clarity, you're looking at the wrong headphones.
Overall, these earclips are quite satisfactory. They do what they need to do: They stay on no matter what, and they transmit music from your walkman/discman/MP3 player to your ears. If you're looking for headphones to wear while doing active things, then these are great. It needs to be mentioned that, with music playing all up in your eardrums, these things do a startling job at blocking out other noises, so be careful not to jog into a moving van or anything. Safety first!

4.0 out of 5 stars your better-than-average headphones, November 16, 2004
C. Eltman (Jerusalem, Israel) - See all my reviews
I got these headphones to replace the ones that came with my iPod mini; those were very uncomfortable. I wanted a small, comfortable, unobtrusive pair that wouldn't leak any sound and bother my fellow commuters (or at least advertise to them what I like to listen to!). I almost didn't buy them because all I saw in the store was orange, which sort of defeats the "unobtrusive" idea, at least for me. But I found them and bought them in basic black.

They are definitely small, and I like the design. They hook completely over your ears, and the ear piece goes inside your ear. Once I figured out how to slip them on, they stay on, no falling off or sliding around. But they're not so tight that they give me a headache or hurt my ears, thankfully. The earbuds are fairly comfortable- some days they need adjusting, other days not.

These headphones leak hardly any sound! I've performed a bunch of tests with friends, with me asking "can you hear anything now?" I wasn't anywhere nears as cool as the guy in the cell phone commercials, but everyone I asked did assure me they couldn't hear my music, even when I played it pretty loud.

They have one neat little feature I didn't consider when buying but certainly appreciate- the "tangle-free cord." Most headphones are made up of one cord which splits at a fixed point. However, that point, or junction, is not fixed on these, which means you can pull up the little piece of plastic to join the two loose strings for easy storage. Or, split the cord entirely, all the way down to the jack, and give an earphone to somebody else.

These fit the bill if you're looking for a comfortable, cheap, easy-to-store pair of headphones, and even though they're not quite the perfect ones for me, they're a solid buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars I bought a few different brands ..., October 14, 2005
Ace2010 (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Even after reading all the reviews, I wound up buying 3 different models ... Sony MDR-J10 Black, Sony MDR-J11g, and Koss KSC22.

Both Sony models are similar in sound, but the MDR-J11g has a better quality feel to it, and the plastic housing seems stronger. They both fit my ears good, and speaker fits into the ear canal and stays there no matter how much jumping around I do. I can't see these falling off during a jog.

However, the Koss seems a better choice out of the three. The sound is clearer and the earpiece has a foam cover which makes it comfortable when I'm wearing it for extended periods. Also, the metal clip is easily bendable so I can make it conform to my ear perfectly, and it won't fall off no matter what.

I tend to lean toward Sony products when purchasing electronics, and the Sony headphones have a nice, futuristic appearance. But I have to go with practicality, good sound, and comfort on this review ... so Koss is my favorite of the three.

1.0 out of 5 stars The greatest earphones I've had... five or six times in a row., September 26, 2007
The good part is that I can rely on Sony for making a product that has great sound quality in a small package. It is elegantly designed so as not to be lodged in your ear with an annoying fuzz protector that collects earwax, but rather plastic that slides naturally within your ear, and then handles that keep it steady around your ear, rather than wiggling about.

It is easy to fold up, and small enough to slip in your pocket, as well as producing high quality bass boosted sound that often makes my computer speakers seem tame!

By far, it is the best earphones I've ever had in life... about four or five times in a row.

Just like another reviewer, the EXACT SAME PROBLEM has occured to me in EVERY SINGLE PAIR I'VE OWNED! For about $10 lowest retail price, $12 dollars highest, these things have lasted at least 3 months, and at most a year, until the LEFT earbud simply shuts off. The wire leading in to the earbud either comes loose, or dissolves with use. If I held the wire at odd angles, the earbud would work, but otherwise it is simply finished.

My first pair was blue. The second was orange. The third was blue. The fourth was black. The fifth was lime green. This last one, which broke the record for how long it has lasted, was blue. Not one of these pairs have lasted longer than a year (except for the most recent pair) and they have ALL SUFFERED THE EXACT SAME ISSUE---THE LEFT EARBUD BREAKS.

In some cases, it had been justified---one pair I had was crumpled in my backpack, causing the left earbud to come apart---but it STILL worked. For most of the others, they had endured no rough conditions that normal earphones shouldn't easily rupture from. Even airport headphones have lasted longer!

For ten or twelve dollars, this is simply a ripoff. While I had the same earphones for almost eight years now, I have ended up spending almost 60 dollars for it, in the end.

I'm still sticking with Sony earphone products, but never again this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Durable, January 10, 2007
As you work out and sweat, these headphones will move around, but not nearly as much as other ear-wrap headphones on the market. Great sound, plus, they allow you to still hear traffic and other outside noises. No headphones last forever, but I've had mine for quite a while now, and they're still going strong. Very comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars great headphones, January 11, 2005
They have a very sharp, clear sound. I used them to edit my writing on computer, using a program called ReadPlease. It's a great program that reads text back to you. With the earphones, I can work no matter what is going around around me.

The wire is very limber, with a rubbery coating instead of more plastic. I have had two pair built along these lines, but the wires are wrapped in plastics covers which made then less flexible, causing them to kink. This soft rubber coating, left you move around without worrying about bending or kinks in the line that could ruin them. The rubber cover wire is virtually tangle free.

The ear wrap is very comfortable. On the other two pair, I was aware of their pressure and after long hours of working my ears would be slightly sore. I barely notice these and have not had any lingers soreness as I did with the other two.

So for comfort, easy use and prices, this is a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!! :), September 13, 2007
Since I'm in a college, I'm very tight on my budget and didn't want to spend more than $30 on the headphone. I've tried many types of headphone/earphones around that price range and I can say this one is my absolute favorite among the ones I've tried.

It is affordable and VERY comfortable. You don't get any pain you would get if you use the earbud type earphone. And if you own an iPod and you are suffering from the pain from the earbuds that came along, I recommand this earphone for everyone. I'd give 6 stars if it is available, seriously. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars great for running, January 9, 2007
I also have small ears and all the other earplugs would pop out. However, this model actually is great. I do all sorts of activities without them coming out.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 years of music, February 14, 2007
Yatzko (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
I find these more comfortable than any other in-ear headphones I've tried. I've had them for almost 5 years now and the integrity of the wire is only just beginning to degrade - only natural when you take them with you as much as I do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Cheap Headphone That Stays Put!, October 10, 2005
Mark (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
I have been searching for years to finally find a headphone that doesn't fall out of my ear when I run and begin to sweat. Well, I've finally found it! The MDR-J10 has solved my problems.

These little headphones slip on behind your ear and the driver slips in your ear aimed at the back of your ear so the ear canal picks up the sound. The clip that goes behind your ear is secure enough without being obtrusive and yet I've never felt as if they were going to slip out of my ear or fall off. Being designed they way they are, you can still hear outside sounds as long as the volume isn't turned up all they way which is good if you need to be aware of your surroundings as well as listen to music.

The overall sound quality of these is good but, not great. They're a little tinny and lack any real depth to the bass or warmth. With that being said, I've found an EQ setting on my ipod which makes these sound pretty good and distortion free at all volume levels and cranked all the way up, these are loud.

My one complaint is the cord length which I wish was about 6 inches shorter but, that I can live with.

For what I paid, I consider these pratically disposable so, I have no ill feeling getting them sweated up or putting them in harsher circumstances than I would a more expensive pair. I've finally found a pair of headphones that I can comfortably jog with and not worry about them falling out that has decent sound quality! Give them a try, you won't be sorry.