3,933 Reviews
 (2,157)
 (1,019)

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall quality sound
Generally, hardware with SONY written on the side of it performs well. This is certainly the case here as well. The overall sound quality of this set is great.
Published on August 3, 2011 by prostovtheov

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to Carry Along
Published on October 7, 2011 by SciPub

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall quality sound, August 3, 2011
prostovtheov (East Coast, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-ZX100 ZX Series Headphones (White) (Electronics)
Deep bass, yet not too overpowering. Vocals sound clear...not too much hiss in the highs. The range of sound is good...nothing really over powers anything else. When I first started listening I was afraid that the mid-range was high. However, this was likely because of how use to my *awesome* Apple earbuds i was.
Also, I listened to a pair of my friends dre beats solo phones. I would say that the sonys have a better overall sound...not the mention the price.
With the sound quality these things produce, you'd expect to pay alot more. The low price is actually a little ridiculous for these headphones (but I'm certainly not complaining.)
These aren't really "noise canceling" headphones, but they do a good job of isolating general background noise.

They are comfortable...i have a decent size head (cap size 7 3/8) and they're not too tight.
Love the red stripe on the right side for "red is right..."
The white finish is very glossy and done well.

**not really sure why they're classified as "outdoor" headphones?

1,080 of 1,182 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Truth be Told, June 14, 2012
This review is from: Sony MDR-ZX100 ZX Series Headphones (White) (Electronics)
Some people are pretty ridiculous.. I read some of the reviews about these headphones before buying them. People talking about the Hi's, the mid's, the low's... are you kidding me? $14 for a set of headphones and you want to feel like Celine Dion herself is singing in your ear?.. get real. Here's the truth. I am studying for the Florida Bar exam. Part of the studying requires me to hear extended hours of lecture.. and by extended I mean 3, 4 and 5 hours at a time with 10 min breaks. These headphones are comfy enough to do that. They are snug but so lightweight you can forget your wearing them. I also observe they reduce outside noise pretty well. Regarding the sound, it is clear. Sometimes it does sound the way something sounds from behind a closed door; a little distant- but not muffled. But, that could be me. So I rate 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable version of its older brother: Oh it delivers, May 17, 2011
I've owned a pair of the sony mdr-v150 monitoring headphones since I started college (dude....06-07 what?!) and I still love em. Indestructible and with sound quality to rival all those skullcandies and 'beats by dre' the younguns frequent these days. But beyond that, the point of my review is to review these badboys. To keep it simple, they're basically the smaller, lighter, and more portable friendly version of the v150 which is always a major plus. My only gripe with the v150 (if there were any at all) is the long cable and fair density that it has. Of course that didn't stop me from taking it anywhere, I'm just glad I managed to grab the zx100's for their portability factor.

Specs: the box really speaks for itself and if you've ever tried the v150's, you're basically getting the same quality audio: clear, crisp, tons of range, and very balanced bass. I love good bass and these guys deliver without being overpowering. As some of the other reviews noted, very natural bass.

The design is great: modern and a little bit more shapely for a modern look. I'm a little bummed they got rid of the swivel cups but that bummer was just about rectified by the outward rotation that allows them to lay a lot flatter (great for throwing in a bag or something). I actually prefer this over collapsible style that most earcup headphones approach portability with these days as laying it flat distributes the stress more evenly when pressed on. A little bigger when carrying around but that also means less chances to break it. Well done, sony.

The color schemes are not too special: I got the white ones but they're available in standard black too (duh). I was actually kinda bummed because like....an onyx gray would have been awesome....oh well. White stands out and looks pretty sharp.

Anyway to sum it up, these guys are nice. And with a price tag similar to its high quality brother, they're definitely a no brainer. I think any audiophile can enjoy these as much as any casual music nut. Sony does it again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to Carry Along, October 7, 2011
I bought these for throwing in the car or laptop case for trips. Sound quallity is not great unless eq'd - too little bass and treble. Overall fit is fine, headband not being padded can be uncomfortable, padded ears are fine, if small. Cord is around a meter. Basically, these are fine, solid, well designed (red strip indicating right is handy) headphones that are durable enough to throw in a bag, cheap enough that there's no worries about them, good enough when eq'd to forget about them and enjoy the music. Clarity and detail are good, considerably better than many headphones I've used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably Good Sound for the Price, August 31, 2012
This review is from: Sony MDR-ZX100 ZX Series Headphones (White) (Electronics)
I admit that I can be a total headphone snob and I own an array of cans, amps, and DACs which would certainly confirm that snobbishness. Indeed, when faced with a trip during that I knew would be abusive to any set of headphones (horrendous weather, constant stress on the cans' cable, and, perhaps worst of all, sharing my headphones with a 2-year-old), I bought these headphones with the assumption that they were disposable.

Well the Sony MDR-ZX100 proved me wrong on all accounts! They withstood all manner of abuse and came through without a blemish on them!

I was even more shocked that any headphones this inexpensive could sound so good. I choose the Sony's because I have enough familiarity with Sony headphones to know that they are very clean. The Sony MDR-ZX-100's were not only incredibly free from both distortion and from any artificial coloring to the sound that I was simply amazed. The staging, that is, the sense of where the sound is perceived was excellent: it was roomy and open. The Sony's mid-range and tweeter were rich and had more depth than I expected. The bass, although quite discernable, was not as pure nor powerful as the mid and upper ranges -- but I had no expectation that the bass would be as good as it is.

If you are locking for an inexpensive set of headphones for movie viewing or for listening to music at moderate volume, these Sony's are great. I would add that if your musical preference is for a rocking bass, no headphones in this price range will satisfy you. For the price, I don't think there is better headphone that the Sony. My only quibble is that, at these are not foldable headphones, some sort of storage bag would have been very much welcomed. Aside from that minor point, I am thoroughly delighted with my Sony MDR-ZX100 headphones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, October 19, 2011
This review is from: Sony MDR-ZX100 ZX Series Headphones (White) (Electronics)
I purchased these headphones because my dad wanted a pair of headphones when he went to work out and go about his daily routine. After doing some research for the best headphone at the best value ($25 and below), we decided to purchase this pair of headphones.

After testing it for a while, I must say, I am quite pleased with this headphones. There is no particular category that stands out with these headphones and while they lack quite a bit in comparison to Beats, higher-priced Sennheiser's, and so on, they're good value for the money.

First I would like to briefly discuss sound quality, the quality of the sound compared to the standard iPod earphones are a bit better and sometimes even a little more depth. Compared to the standard earphones, these are pretty solid. When you listen to any song, you can occasionally hear background instruments or percussion very well, this can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on the way you view your music. I tested this out on quite a few genres; Hip Hop, rock, ambient, slow rock, rap, and a few others. I have to say I'm not taken aback by the sound quality itself, but it's not disappointing for the money you've pay for it.

I also use these headphones when I'm on the computer; I've watched a few interviews online and it's interesting what background noises these headphones pick up. I tend to better hear the background noise during an interview (such as cars and buses and pedestrians) than the ongoing interview. Personally, it's not a distraction to me but I can see it being an issue for others.

Finally, the earphone fits well on my ears, I'm about 6'0 and I felt comfortable wearing them. Although when I first put it on, my ears used to itch a little bit, but that's something you get used to in a while. After using it over an hour, I can feel the pads stick to my ears, and that can get annoying.

Overall, if you're not on a budget, feel free to purchase more expensive headphones that may better suit your needs. However, for those who have are on a budget or just want a better alternative than the average earphones, this is a good, almost great buy.

Thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones for cheap, October 21, 2011
This review is from: Sony MDR-ZX100 ZX Series Headphones (White) (Electronics)
These headphones work great. They block out outside noise, very good looking product, light, very good and clear sound.
Would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones, worth the low price!, August 15, 2011
Cisco (Sunnyvale, Ca, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR-ZX100 ZX Series Headphones (White) (Electronics)
So far I've been using these headphones for different kind of music: rock, pop, rap, etc.
The sound is good and what I expected for the price.

You can have better coverage of your ears (=better sound isolation), better comfort and better sound quality for twice the price (if you're listening music only on your laptop or computer) but these ones are way better to be carried and go outside (rotating earphones so that they become flat and fit in your bag).

For long listening, I can feel that the headphones press my ears and they become uncomfortable. I should get used too quickly.

I really like the white design, they seems solid and not cheap at all.

Also, nobody mentionned it, a (very) short limited warrantly of 90 days is provided.

I am pretty happy of these headphones :) Definitely a good deal!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, October 29, 2011
This review is from: Sony MDR-ZX100 ZX Series Headphones (White) (Electronics)
What did you expect? It costs 13 dollars on amazon, with free amazon prime shipping. Whoever says these headphones have excellent quality sound is full of it. I bought these headphones because they looked nice and for 13 dollars I wouldn't mind walking around with these and if they break, oh well. On the box it said, audiophile headset or something laughable like that.

I would recommend these as a backup set, or if you're just going to rock them for style. There is barely any bass, the mids are decent, and the highs are not too great. You can't differentiate much between subtle sounds (while listening to music).
If you listen to music that isn't bass intensive or you don't really care about getting much bass, get these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent cheap pair of headphones, seems sturdy, folds a bit, July 9, 2011
echoe "111111" (Chicago, IL, far away from you most likely) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of Sony V6's to listen to music at home, and then broke something like my fifteenth pair of earbuds. So I thought: Hmm. What to have -not- break. Someone suggested buying a pair of headphones instead of IEM's, and I was in a target one day ruiing the loss of my earbuds and bought these. It's been three weeks or so, and so far I've noticed a couple things:
-The earcups fold flat, which is mainly why I got them [more portable!]. This makes a massive difference in portability. It is awesome.
-Sound is not as good as my V6's, though usually I am on a train, so whatever. They're better than the Skullcandy 2XL's that I was replacing like Pez ... when I can hear them. Which isn't very often, but eh.
-The strap and pads get uncomfortable for me after about an hour of use. It's extraordinarily annoying, and I'm considering buying a new pair as a result of this particular feature [was looking at the PortaPro but I think I need a noise canceling phone, sadly, which pushes the price up a bit high].

Overall: decent headphones, obviously they're $15 so they're not great, but they do good enough. My pair hasn't broken yet and I drag it with me 5 days a week in a bag, where it's crushed ("") by an iPad, book, folder, and apple wireless keyboard, and then I yank on it to get it out even when it's stuck. So they're probably doing -something- right.

Sony MDR-ZX100 ZX Series Headphones (White)
$19.99 $14.75