Customer Video Review     Length:: 5:54 Mins
I have used so many headphones over the years that it's not easy for me to get too excited by yet another pair of them. These Sony MDR-1RBT headphones got me excited. Wow is an understatement.

Published 16 months ago by M. Erb

Published 10 months ago by Derek

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow... phenomenal headphones and equally great as hands-free phone, May 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 5:54 Mins

When you pay a lot for something, it's nice to receive the item in packaging that is reflective of the quality of what you've purchased. These headphones are presented very elegantly in the box they come in. When you open the box the headphones are on display as if in an art gallery. They are nestled in a tufted black cloth that just exudes quality. On the other side of the opened box is a compartlment that you flip open and inside there is the very nice carry bag and cables that are included with this headphone. A USB to microUSB charging cable and 3.5mm male to male connecting cable (5') are included. The connecting cable has gold plated tips to ensure good conductivity.

Specs:

-Power source: DC 3.6 V: Built-in lithium-ion battery
-Mass: Approx. 297 g (10.48 oz)
-Operating temperature: 0 C to 40 C (32 F to 104 F)
-Usage hours: Approx. 30 hours
Standby time: Max. 200 hours
-Charging time: Approx. 6 hours
-Charging temperature: 5 C to 35 C (41 F to 95 F)
-Receiver Type: Closed, Dynamic
-Driver units: 40 mm
-Frequency response: 4 Hz - 80 kHz

-Microphone Type: Electret condenser
-Direction characteristic: Omni directional
-Effective frequency range: 100 Hz - 4,000 Hz

Ahhh, the headphones. They are just so simply elegant. The headband and earcups are covered in a very supple and extremely soft material that looks convincingly like leather but I'm quite certain it's pleather. Comfortable is the key word here. The headphones themselves are very light in weight compared to others I've worn. These weigh in at 10.48oz and thay may sound like a lot, but once they are on your head, they are barely noticeable. There is just enough pressure to keep these closely pressed to your ears. The soft ear cushions and general construction of the earcup provide an amazingly effective passive noise reduction. I am not a fan of active noise reduction since it injects undesireable sound into the listening experience. Active noise reduction may be helpful in certain circumstances such as on an airplane where it will effectively diminsh the low rumble of engine noise. But even these do a fantastic job in that difficult situation. In most other situarions, these would be superior to active noise reduction since the sound is uncolored by that process. When I am in a room with people talking, while listening to these headphones, I literally do not hear them talking at all.

Sound quality is fantastic. If you're thinking of spending this much on headphones, then I assume you are astute enough to realize that MP3 music coupled with bluetooth is not an audiophile's dream of great potential sound. But these headphones make the best of a bad situation (MP3's and bluetooth) and when listening to high-bitrate MP3's you will be rewarded with about as good a sound as you could hope for. Bass was excellent... defined, not mushy and in your face, like the over-hyped Bose sound. The sound was very open, light and airy.

Controls:

The left earcup has a power button that also enables bluetooth pairing mode. Below that are the micro USB port and the 3.5mm jack which are both covered with a plasticy cover that is of questionable durability. It seems OK but I won't be surprised if someday it just cracks at the hinge point. We'll see. To the left of the ports is a tiny microphone which is used for the calling features of this phone. When used as a hands-free phone when connected to your smartphone, the clarity of the microphone is excellent. One thing you will have to get used to when using as a phone is that you cannot hear your voice in the earphones while you are talking. This is weird at first, particularly because of the excellent passive noise reduction. So what I do is when using with my phone, I'll just slip one of the earcups off my ear to enable me to hear my voice better and I can still hear the caller through the other earcup just fine.

The right earcup has the volume rocker button, a NFC on/off sliding switch, a play/pause/track sliding push-switch and a small phone button. If you wish to place a phone call or perform other voice control functions when connected to your smartphone, you give a single tap to the phone button and that will invoke Siri or Voice Control on an iPhone. I don't have an Android phone so can't comment on how it functions in that situation. A long press will redial the last number. And if your phone rings, a single tap will answer the call.

Pairing was very easy using the conventional bluetooth method. However this headphone has a little gimmick up its sleeve that utilized NFC. So if you have an Android device with NFC, you can simply(?) download an app (NFC Easy Connect) then launch the app. Next, turn on the NFC switch on the headphones. Once you've done that you simply hold the NFC area of your device to the outside of the right earcup and the headphones will automatically turn themselves on and bluetooth pairing will take place. You can then turn the NFC switch off on the headphones. I say it's a gimmick because it seems easy enough to just connnect bluetooth the old fashioned way and you don't have the additional chore of downloading an app to assist with this. But it is cool how it works.

Overall I am so happy with these headphones. They are comfortable, sound great and have the extra convenience of working really well with a smartphone as hands-free.

Not much negative to talk about. At this price, I don't like to see too much plastic and in that regard these let me down. You'd think they could use something more exotic like titanium or whatever. The sliding part of the headphones are metal so that's good, but the pieces that connect the earcups to the headband are plastic and I'd prefer metal of some sort. Plastic breaks more easily although this plastic does seem substantial... just sayin'.

Yes, these are expensive. They also happen to be excellent. Only you can decide if they're worth it. For me, I'd say they are. They provide an extremely enjoyable listening experience. Battery life is decent enough at 30 hours that you can't really complain about that. I love these headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars nails it on comfort and sound, November 7, 2012
Just received today my Sony MDR-1RNC headphones. A little about me so you know my biases. I am unapologetically an audiophile. Will spend more for the fractional improvement. I strive for neutral uncolored, but musical, reproduction of the music. I don't like tubby bass. I don't like shrill or edgy highs. I strive for balance. When it comes to headphones I am utterly unforgiving with what I expect sound-wise and comfort wise. But I am not a snob....The best buy ever for any headphone is the the Koss KSC-35. I own about 10 of these. Use them for working out, etc. .... great on the go set of cans for plugging into a nano or iPhone. At home I listen through VAC tubes and Magico speakers, and still spin vinyl on a Clearaudio Innovation table.

I have on my biz travels listened over the past few years to about 20 different "travel friendly" "noise canceling" headphones. I bought the PSB m4u headphones, and while they sounded great....it was like wearing a submarine on my head. None has reached the level of enjoyment and accuracy and isolation of my Etymotic ER4p headphones....until today. Enough about me.

When I put the Sony cans on today, before turning them on or plugging them in, I thought immediately, "wow, these feel good. they are really comfortable. thank you sony for giving a rip about something feeling really really nice around my skull."

Then I plugged them into my iPhone and played some Rhapsody songs....HORRIBLE. First thought...I'm sending these back. Then intuitively without reading the instructions, I reached for where I would want and expect an on-off switch to be. Viola...the power turned on (thank you sony engineers for ergonomic genius...from on/off switch, to simple but perfect instruction manual). Wow with the digital amp, NC, etc etc at play (thank you Sony I don't want to figure out what level of NC or amplification or equalization to activate), the sound became so so so so so so much better. Tight bass. Articulated highs. Pronounced mids. And above all, a soundscape...not a miniature in-your-head version of the musical event....rather a full-on, big bodied, spatial event. Thank you, Sony. Only watch-out....their amplification and EQ does boost the highs in a way that may be a bit un-natural sounding to some. But it is pretty neutral nonetheless. My verdict on running these with "off" switch....I'd rather Sony said to only run it with amp/etc on....it sounds that bad with it off...but I see benefit of being able to listen last resort if batteries run out. And I ran amp (head stage) in front of Sony's amplified signal.....verdict...sounds best without anything in-between. They made these to sound best turned on, plug-and-play with an iPhone. Without the amp on, even through an outboard headphone amp, they don't sound quite right.

My skepticism remained. I pulled out my Headstage amp (newest version) and Etymotic ER4P phones. Dialed those to their best sounding as I have had them 10 years. Then...switched to simple iPhone feed straight to Sony's......Sony's equaled the sound (almost) of the Etys driven by LOD Headstage...Etys win on harmonics and tone. Sony's win on impact, range and spatial cues (you are there). Etys equal detail and small presentation. Sony's equal big presentation and everything laid out before the listener. A little evidence especially in the high band of digital amp/eq. They are not analogue sounding.

I won't be selling my Etymotics. They are that good. But the Sony's are oh so incredible. Sony has packaged something in a user-friendly, simple, straightforward package. No muss, no fuss. I am impressed. And I am very picky. I will be keeping these. If Sony's aim was to cancel noise (yes, better than anything I have experienced on that front, and I have listened to just about all NC cans the past year), reproduce all the frequencies, and keep it easy and simple, I give them an A+. Nicely done. My favorite thing that I was most worried about was the NC levels they reference (train, office, etc.). It's automatic....their software does it for you. They should state that fact in their marketing materials. I was pleasantly surprised I don't have to slide a switch based on environment I'm in. It does it automatically. They state negative 25db noise reduction....I'd say that is very conservative. And all the while...a transparent, full-on, sweet encompassing sound.

Nicely played, Sony.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last..........AT LAST...., August 17, 2013
Carl Truth (Los Angeles CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDR1R Premium Over-the-Head Style Headphones (Black) (Electronics)
Finally! Sony MDR1R Phones. The BEST headphones I have EVER heard!

I am well over 50, so I have followed a lot of inferior bread crumbs to reach this conclusion.
These phones are intended for LISTENING (NOT MONITORING) all genres of music. PERIOD.

Of course, considering the tight initial, off the shelf build quality of these phones, they sound pretty crappy right out of the box. Give them at least a few hours for break-in period

Current Personal Equipment:
Zune 120gb Player
Sony NWZ F806 Player
Sennheiser 380 headphones
Grado SR60 (not inferior SR60i)
*Sony MDR1R Phones

Conclusions:
-unbelievable sound - check
-Beautifully rolled off highs, before any harshness can be introduced - check
-Wonderfully fat midrange - check
-Deep, (tight), moving, bass without muddiness - check
-Hearing new sounds and nuances in previously played tracks - check
-All the above even at low volumes - check
-No need for amplifiers or other peripheral equipment - check
-Sounds equally good when listened to from MP3 player, laptop, desktop, amplified sound system - check
-Really cool, high tech appearance with great engineering and build quality - check

-Reveals the shortcomings of the Sony NWZ F806 Player's sound chip (YES) - check
-Reveals the shortcomings of the Sennheiser 380 headphones - check
-Better, (unbelievable), better than my beloved vintage Grado SR60's - check

One of the most revealing tracks in my collection (believe me, they ALL sound GREAT!):
Donna Summer's "Love to Love You Baby" (Album: "The Journey") 16:45 min-256kbps
(full orchestra after the bass solo, high flute, horns, violas, strings, etc).

When playing this track (and others), I close my eyes and try to find my place in the auditorium.
I conclude that I am in the center, first row of the first balcony. Looking down on the stage, I can hear and place every instrument and voice in the orchestra, without so much as turning my head. I feel like I am at a special "Distinguished Guest" presentation. And I, (ME), I am the "Distinguished Guest".

Recommendations:
Get these phones - NOW - you will NOT be disappointed.

CONS: Not good for social interaction. Once you put these phones on and start listening to your music, others will consider you an uncaring, selfish snob, who has neither time nor compassion for lesser common folk.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Near Perfect Wireless Solution, January 1, 2013
J. Kim (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
[Update - Feb 2013: For whatever reason, the BT connectivity problems using iOS 6.1.2 on a iPhone 4S seem to have disappeared. Not sure whether the problems I was having was due to interference, what was running on my iPhone at the time, or a combination (or something else), but no problems anymore. I guess if I get the same problem again in the future, I'll just restart the iPhone and see if that helps. Sounds great, and great to use a headphone without wires!]

[Update - Feb 2013: Well, unfortunately iOS 6.1.2, at least on an iPhone 4S, has created all kinds of issues with this Bluetooth headphone. Skips, pauses, etc. It worked PERFECTLY with iOS 5.1. Hopefully, Apple will fix this, but if you plan on pairing these with an iPhone running 6.1.2, do so at your own peril. On the other hand, I highly doubt it's a problem with these headphones, as opposed to the iOS update Apple pushed out.]

I was hesitant to order these because some of the early impressions seemed lukewarm, but I decided to give them a try. After two days of using them to listen to music and watching a movie on my iPhone 4S and iPad (3 Gen), I like them so much that I kept them over a pair of Sennheiser Momentum headphones, which also are great headphones for their intended application. There aren't that many reviews of these on the web yet, so I'll go into more detail here because I'm really impressed with the MDR-1RBT.

Bluetooth headphones have had a mixed record to date (including the Parrot Zik), but these easily exceeded my expectations. Unless you are expecting audiophile-level sound (in which case you ought to be looking at a full-blown home rig, not something to be used with a portable device), the balance of convenience and sound that the MDR-1RBT provide is remarkable. It is hard to overstate how liberating it is to not be tethered by a cord. I can get up and walk around the entire first floor of my house (i.e., not line of sight to the connected device) without losing the signal, although at the far end (25-30 feet or so), through two walls, the sound does start to break up. No cord to get in the way or get tangled, but I'm still able to control the music and volume. Just really nice to experience (even if, in all candor, that is a real 1st-world problem). They worked fine as a Bluetooth headset for my iPhone; no problem hearing the person on the other end, and I could hear myself well enough to not feel disconnected from the conversation. But I don't plan on using these much if at all as a phone headset (although it is a nice option to have if somebody does call in the middle of listening to music).

Connectivity - I tried these with an iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1, an iPad (3rd Gen) running iOS 5.1, and an iPhone 4S running iOS 6.01. Other than the hassle of having to manually forget the Bluetooth pairing with one device to switch to another (and maybe I'm just not doing it right), zero problems with connectivity. I didn't even have to enter an access/device code to get the MDR-1RBT to pair with any of these devices. There have been some comments in other reviews about the Bluetooth connection stuttering/skipping when playing music and having some latency issues when watching video. I had no issues with stuttering/skipping on any of these devices. I thought, once or twice, that I may have missed the first second or so of the first song when I started to listen to music on my iPhone, but it was very hard to reproduce. Once you start listening, you can skip back and forth through different tracks and albums, and miss nothing. In terms of the audio to videos, I couldn't sense any latency issues. If there's a delay between the video and audio, it is imperceptible to me. Indeed, had I not read of this issue in one review, it would never have occurred to me to be a problem after watching a 3 hour movie. One note: As with my bluetooth headset, when playing music (using A2DP protocol, as I understand it), the volume control on the headset is independent of the volume control on my iPhone (or iPad). So what I do is turn the the volume on the iDevice very high (close to max, actually), and then use the volume control on the -1RBT to adjust the volume to my liking. It can get plenty loud enough for me, but I don't listen at high volumes.

UPDATE - I was able to experience some skipping, and it appears to happen very occassionally when I give my iPhone plenty to do (e.g., listening to music through the Bluetooth connection and surfing the web simultaneously) or unlock the phone while listening to music. But it doesn't happen if you are just listening to music or watching a movie. It's absolutely not an issue for me, but I did want to note it.

Comfort/Ergonomics - Other reviews are almost unanimous that the new -1R series of headphones (-1R, -1RBT and -1RNC) are some of the most comfortable full-size headphones made. I have to agree; they easily are as comfortable as the Momentums, which surprised me. Even though these are full-size/circumaural headphones, they are relatively light (although 50% heavier than the Momentums, which are real lightweights), do not exert a lot of clamping pressure, and are very comfortable. I had no issues using them with glasses. (At the other end of the spectrum, I tried out the Beyerdynamic T5p's for about a month, and although they are touted as a comfortable headphone, their size, weight and earpad shape made them just tolerable in comparison, particularly with glasses.) The -1RBT earpads are larger than the Momentums, which are in-between circumaural and supra-aural, so my ears fit inside them completely. Depending on the shape of your ears, they may touch the driver frame (i.e., not enough depth). The -1RBT is supposed to have deeper earpads than the -1R, but it still happens because the earpads themselves are so soft. I didn't find it a problem at all; others might.

Sound - I was surprised at how good these sound. They struck me as balanced, with less bass emphasis than the Momentums, but also less treble presence. Mids were very nice, particularly on vocals. In all, more detail and clarity than I had expected. To be clear: They sounded good enough that I kept these as a day-to-day headphone for use around the house, because the wireless advantage was so great. But, to me, they didn't sound quite as good as the Momentum, and not nearly as good as a custom IEM that is more than double the price. (And for comparison, the detail, space and clarity of the T5p's or my custom IEMs blow these away, although the T5p is bass-light unless, apparently, really well-amped.) My sense also was that the dynamic range of the music was slightly (to more noticeably, in some cases) compressed when compared to a wired headphone. (This actually may be a plus for some folks.) None of this should be a surprise given the wireless/Bluetooth connection, but folks shouldn't be misled. When I first heard the, my thought was, "Wow, these sound really, really good compared to what I was expecting." It was not, "Wow, these sound as good as if not better than the best wired competitors in this price range."

Build-quality/design - My view is that Sony made these very comfortable, with easy-to-use controls once you figure out where the various buttons are. So in that sense, A+ because everything else wouldn't matter if they were uncomfortable or difficult to use. The details are nice, too: for example, when folded flat, the frames of the ear-pieces touch, and there are these little rubber bumpers on the frame in those spots to prevent wear. And they are nice to look at. But in terms of luxury materials and over-engineering, some might be disappointed. Probably little metal other than the headband (even the dark chrome-like eadpad frame is plastic); the padding is pleather, not leather; switches are plastic and the start/stop/forward/back switch is somewhat flimsy feeling; with time, the cover for the USB charging port and the wired headphone cable is either going to break or fall off, etc. Compared to the Momentums, which really focused on luxury materials and finishes, the -1RBTs fall short. On the other hand, the material choices probably kept these headphones as light as they are (so I'm fine with them), and all the electronics packed into these headphones had to be taken into account for the price point. My view is that these are 2-4 year headphones, because by then, the technology will have moved forward enough to obsolete these, or something will have broken down, or the battery (which is not user-replaceable) will have reached the end of its useful life if you use the headphones regularly. $400 is not cheap for a pair of headphones, however...

Why - For $400, you start entering the territory of some really great headphones (e.g., Sennheiser HD-650). And I do think that the sound from a very-good headphone in the price range is going to sound better, objectively and subjectively. Also, it's hard to beat the simplicity of just plugging in a pair of headphones to your music device and pressing "play"; with these, you have to turn them on (and pair them, if you haven't already), remember to recharge them on occasion, etc. But you don't buy these headphones because you want the best sound, you should buy these headphones because they offer more than acceptable sound (very satisfying, actually) in a WIRELESS headphone that works great wirelessly. Whatever sonic sacrifices may have been required before with a Bluetooth headphone, those sacrifices are sufficiently minimized with the MDR-1RBT to make them a worthwhile tradeoff for the convenience of a wireless connection. If you don't want a wireless headphone, there's no reason to even consider these. But I would bet that many folks would be surprised by how enjoyable a good wireless headphone is. I was.

5.0 out of 5 stars TOP 4 things i Like & Dislike, January 4, 2014
This is how an over the ear headphone should feel. Soft and light. The sound quality on Bluetooth is great. It is a controlled clean sound. I have it synced to my tv so I can watch and not wake my kid up. And when he is up and about screaming and playing I put these on and listen to a podcast and it really filters out the outside really well. It mutes the outside world as good as my Bose qc3 and these aren't even noise canceling.

Top 4 things I love about these:

1) Comfort (especially for wear over an hour)
2) Noise Isolation
3) Bluetooth Sound Quality
4) Design (look, button layout, materials)

Top 4 things I dislike about these:

1) Lack of apt-x (which is fixed in the updated model (MDR1RBTMK2)
2) Lack of ability to pair to 2 devices simultaneously
3) Lack of Hard Carrying case (though the tote bag is of decent quality)
4) Price

The pros far outweigh the cons...far outweigh which is why I am giving it 5 stars. I am very satisfied with my purchase I will use these for a long time

4.0 out of 5 stars Video Review: Excellent Design and Sound, May 23, 2013
Steve Taylor (Only visiting this planet) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 9:45 Mins

Sony has created a really nice top-of-the-line mobile headphone. I realize this is a luxury purchase and therefore buying something you've never had the chance to listen to is taking a risk. Sony has a good reputation with mobile headphones but then again there are many on the market today that are good and may cost less. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is true in this case. These are not your average mobile headphones. Although they are not home audiophile cans they are about as good as it gets for an efficient low ohm set. Everyone that tried these loved them and I don't surround myself with yes-men so if they said it, they mean it. I hope this video helps you make your decision with a little bit better understanding of what you'd be getting. Note: There is a break-in time needed for headphones so give them at least 72 hours of playtime before falling in love with them.

The reason I gave these headphones four stars instead of five is because of the humming noise through the ports when outside in a breeze, the heat generated on my ears, the loose cable and because the padding in not replaceable. Five stars would mean they are perfect and they're not, but they're close.

PROS:

Beautiful design.
Comfortable and lightweight.
Sound ranges from very good to excellent.
Sweet highs and clean bass. No raspy sounds or muddy lows.
Small air vents allows bass to breath.
Good spacial imaging for a closed headphone.
Comes with two nice 47" rubber cables (one with remote for apple products).
24 ohms and 105 db rating which makes them extremely efficient (very little power to push them).
4-80,000 hz is more then the human ear can hear.
Earcups twist for a better fit and for placing in carry bag.
Attractive box for gift giving.
Good prices available on Amazon.
Lightweight for hours of listening.
Sounds good on home receiver even though not made for it (adapter needed).
Sounds great played from computer.
Closed design makes sound leaking minimal. Good for office use.
Deadens most outside noises but not enough to make one claustrophobic.
Sounds good at low volume.
Works well with Kindle ereaders.

CONS:

Makes a whooshing noise in the wind through the bass ports.
Earcups and headband padding not replaceable.
Needs a DAC for computer use to make them really sound great. (No fault of the headphones)
A good EQ app for mobile phones are a must. A mobile amp helps also.
Cable connector does not fit snug enough. Jiggles and makes a little noise.
Because of the closed design my ears get hot. And that's in the air conditioning.
Remote cable only works with Apple products.
Top band should be a little wider for better comfort.

Tested using:

HTC EVO 4G Android Cell Phone for Sprint
FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier
Fiio E10 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier
Plus a home receiver no longer being sold and a standard laptop.

If you have any questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST Bluetooth Headphones Available!!, March 8, 2014
Length:: 9:01 Mins

This is a video review from my YouTube Channel

First to give you some context, I have tested and listed to over many, many different bluetooth headphones such as: SoundBot SB240, Avantree Jogger, Avantree Hive, Bluedio Model R, AF32, Creative WP-450, Creative WP-350, Motorola S305, Rokit Boost by Swage, GoGroove Headbands, Jabra REVO and so on. So I have a real good idea of what you generally get sound, comfort and feature wise at different price points.

Bottom line, these are an incredible pair of headphones that have claimed a top spot among my headphone collection.

In my video review you'll see me talk about:

1. Sound Quality
2. Comfort
3. Call Quality
4. Features

If you want to hear a live sound leak test then refer to my original YouTube video as I wasn't able to keep the full length in this video.

These headphones are a little warmer in sound than the ATH-M50's. So if you're want a more neutral sound you may not like these. However, these still sound great with any genre of music, vocals sound particularly sweet (especially female vocals) and they have a surprisingly semi-open sounding soundstage.

I also LOVE that you can use these as wired headphones, and they are some of the most comfortable headphones you can buy.

ENJOY the video!

PS - You should totally subscribe to my YouTube Channel youtu.be/DTRKihZfFEs

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Sound! Rich Bass and over all WOW product., January 16, 2014
First of all, when I saw the BOSE AE2w and tried it I was amazed by its sound and comfort. So I have done tons of researches and see if it was best on its class. I saw this MDR-1RBT product on list on top bluetooth headphones. All of the feedback of MDR-1RBT was good and almost no complain about it. So I've decided purchased it. After I received it it was way better in terms of full sound especially the bass is very rich and deep compared to BOSE AE2w. After a month of use, I went to Bose and tried again the Bose AE2w and

Pros:
- Full Rich sound
- Full Deep Rich Base
- Battery is very Good! (I charged it only once after 1 month of use)
- No difference sound quality when wired and Bluetooth mode, only wired mode is louder
- Stylish
- Call is very clear wireless
- Very Comfortable (Bose AE2w has better comfort still)
- Easy to reach the control on right cup
- Secured fit
- Sound leak is minimal
- Good passive noise reduction

Cons:
- delayed sound around 0.1-0.2 sec when playing games on Ipad via Bluetooth
- a little heavy
- when wired mode, no control on volume/Forward/backward (useful when battery dies when traveling)
- bulky on head
- the 4hz-80khz is a marketing gimmick, we cant hear beyond 20khz and 4hz is inaudible
- a little hot/warm on ears

3.0 out of 5 stars If NC matters to you at all, you will be better off with an alternative, November 6, 2013
If you had done reasonable amount of research, you would know that this headphone, and its main competitor Bose QC15 differs mostly in terms of look&feel, sound quality and the effectiveness of NC. 1RNC is better looking, sounds better with less NC effectiveness. QC15 is less stylish, with mediocre sound but better NC. What you really want to know is how much do they differ in each category. I had a chance to compare them side by side in real world situations and would like to share my opinions.

Look&Feel:
1RNC is much better built, the ear cups are metal, the plastic used elsewhere feels high quality, the cable is thick and tangle free. It's already very good looking in the black/red accent, and even better if you can get the sliver version that is sold overseas. The leather used for the cushions are really supple. Some may mention that there are quality issues that leads to "Jack rattle", but that didn't happen to the unit I received. I assume the have sorted the production process out after a while. The headphone is quite large for portable use, about 30% larger than QC15 and much heavier. But it's still comfortable to wear, at least for 3 hours of flight time.
QC15 on the other hand, screams mediocre everywhere in terms of build and style. It very business looking, which may be a plus for its main audience, but not really a plus for me. The plastic parts used are really "plasticy", and the cable is thin and easier to tangle. There is also the problem with the Bose specific connector that can cost you much more to replace. The leather feel as good as those on 1RNC. The headphone is quite light and comfortable to use for long flights.

Sound quality:
I'm not going to talk too much about this as I'm not a experienced audiophile. But the main difference between the 2 headphones that stood out to me were detail and sound stage. 1RNC have much better separation and more realistic sound stage when NC is enabled. When NC is turned off, 1RNC is somewhat comparable to QC15 (which only works with NC on). The difference is quite significant and unmistakable. That being said, even with NC on, 1RNC is no where near the level of a good fullsized headphone, such as the HIFIMAN HE-400 driven by the schiit M&M stack I was using. You are getting a NC headphone for less money after all.

NC effectiveness on airplane:
This is truly where 1RNC fall apart as a package.
First the NC itself. 1RNC doesn't cancel out the higher frequency very well. As a result, you can hear other people's conversion. This may be a plus for when the flight attendance ask you for beverage choices, but not so much when you are sitting next to a couple of persistent chatters. Also, because of the lack of NC on higher frequencies, the background noise after NC is turned on sounds like a small waterfall (or pouring rain). It is much harder to bear than the humming sound produced by QC15 and takes away any additional enjoyment brought by the better sound quality.
Furthermore, the earcup of 1RNC is so large that when you lean your head back to the seat, the earcup touches the seat back and conducts the vibration of the seat/plane's body into the earcup. This interfere with the NC and makes the experience really go south. One would probably have to lift his/her head for the entire flight just to avoid this (or stop using active NC).
QC15 on the other hand, covers a boarder range and produces a more bearable low hum. And because of it, you can appreciate the music more even with lower sound quality. The earcup is small enough that it will not touch the seat back. Although it has a bright light on the earcup to indicate its on and therefore making it harder to go sneaky during take off and landing, with the new FAA ruling, it wouldn't matter anymore. So out of the two, I can only recommend QC15.

How about 10RNC:
I haven't tested 10RNC on a airplane, so I really can't talk about the NC part, which is arguably the most important factor in choosing this kind of product. But what I know is that it has much smaller earcup, and will not have the issue of touching seat back. The build is not as good as 1RNC, but still feels a bit better than QC15. And it's cheaper. If sony's claim of improved NC is true, then 10RNC is certainly another good choice over 1RNC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best over-ear headphones!!!!, November 14, 2013
As soon as I got the headphones I put them on and OMG! They are soooo awesome. Great bass and highs. looks great in package and carry bag is thicker than I would have thought. price is a little high for mostly plastic but for the sound quality its definitely worth it. I did not pay the 400$ but got them directly from japan by BuyJapan through amazon and I got them in 5 days and package looked in one piece. would definitely buy if looking for good quality headphones and are willing to spend the extra few bucks.

Rate and Discover Movies