Published on December 4, 2009 by marketingdude

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent for the price, about what you'd expect
Purchased these as a replacement for an old, old pair of midrange Sony MDR-something earbuds that served me well for ~4 years. So old that the model number rubbed off long ago, and I have no idea what it originally was.

Published on December 23, 2009 by B. Park

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with iPhone 3GS - sounds great - cost half of what I thought I would have to spend., December 4, 2009
These are great! Comfortable fit. Better range (6 - 23kHz) than ANY other buds under $75. Microphone. Full control over my iPhone 3GS (and newer iPods) functions, including volume, play/pause, next track, previous track. Make and take calls. Voice commands. Voice recorder. I think they contain the Apple control chip, because they function as good as the controller on the stock Apple earbuds, but fit and sound AWESOME. I was just about to resign myself to spending over $99 for buds that sound good and control my new iPhone 3GS, when I found these babies for under $40.

Many people also miss the fact that when you double- or triple-click for track forward/reverse you can HOLD the final click for SCRUBBING forward or backward at high speed. Of course, the controller has less functionality on non-Apple players and older iPods, since they are designed for newer iPod/iPhone.

Hands-down the best upgrade/investment I have made to go with my iPhone. Buy. These. Now!

*** Note that, as in ALL earbuds, the wires are fragile. You do have to TAKE CARE OF THEM. Wrapping cords around your player and stuffing into your pocket WILL cause a short eventually. Use the included cord winder and/or included draw-string cloth baggie. I still have a pair of an earlier model Sony buds Sony MDREX36V/BLK EX Earbud Headphone (Black) that are working just fine because I do not abuse the wire.

UPDATE 2010-05-10:

Been using for 5 months now and they are the best I have ever owned. Microphone is clear, too.

I've read a lot of negative comments about these in-ear headphones. All I can assume is that those with a bad experience (who think the sound is too loud to surrounding people, too soft in their ears, or too much treble/no bass) have missed the CONCEPT of IN-EAR headphones.

They must fit SNUG in the ear canal in order to work correctly. I know that ear sizes vary, but go ahead and try the (3) different size ear buds to get a better fit. Mine sound awesome. Yes, just as good as other Sony buds I have had in years past. I have a drawer full of other brands/models that...what's the technical term...oh ya...they suck.

BONUS HELPFUL HINT: Someone's review mentioned switching L/R (placing the left bud in the right ear and right bud in the left ear). I tried this and found distinct advantages: The inline control/mic works better for me on the right-side cord. The angle of the buds "tuck" into my ears better when reversed. This "tuck" means the buds stay seated firmly in my ears longer, even when sweating or the cord is lightly tugged. I just had to get over my obsessive compulsion ("but...that one is labeled L and the other is R, how can I ignore those directions?")

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent for the price, about what you'd expect, December 23, 2009
B. Park (New York, NY) - See all my reviews

That said, I figured it was worth going with a Sony headset again. The fact that this is one of the few reasonably-priced sets I've been able to find which offers both iPod/iPhone functionality + volume controls, plus Sony's reputation, sealed the deal. (Please note, I'm not a Sony "fanboy" or anything; just noting that they're an established company, so there is some consumer comfort level there.)

I won't really speak to the fit of the earbuds, because obviously it will be different for everybody; except to say that the medium earbuds fit fine for me out of the box, and I suppose that I have relatively normal-sized ears. I've used other in-the-ear buds which felt better, but these were acceptable to me.

The headphones measure 48" from earbuds to headphone jack. The mic/volume control sits 6" below the LEFT earpiece (the first review which criticized the effect of sweat seems to indicate that it's on the right side...) The Y-split is another 10" below that (so 16" down the right wire), and has a sliding plastic piece which allows you to "choke up" the slack, if desired.

I've only had these for 1 day, but I do feel that the treble is rather harsh. Especially noticeable listening to metal (and similar music). I test-listened to other genres as well - just pointing out metal because the highs were noticeably shrill. As per another reviewer's advice (somewhere else on the Web), I set my iPhone's EQ to "Treble Reducer", and that seemed to help. Perhaps they need to "break in" a little bit, I don't know. I do NOT find them to be bass-heavy, although they are certainly better than stock earphones. Sound insulation is average.

The controls work mostly as expected on my 1st-gen iPhone, which is a pleasant surprise:

- 1 click to pause/play
- 2 clicks to fast-forward
- 3 clicks to restart the current song
- mic and audio work fine

However, the volume up/down controls do not work (on the 1st-gen iPhone). I assume this is because it's 1st-gen.

Also tested these headphones with a Droid Eris. Audio works normally. Sadly, the mic does not work. Volume buttons don't do anything. "One click" to pause/play functions as expected, but more-than-1-click in the Music widget apparently tries to dial the last number called (?!). Perhaps the Android OS will be updated someday to support iPhone functionality, but I'm not holding my breath. I did not find an EQ on the Android, but I might have missed it.

The click button itself feels rather small and flimsy, but at least it's there. I haven't gotten any use out of the volume buttons, although I trust that they'd work OK with the appropriate devices.

Back to the audio quality: these are not the best-sounding headphones I've ever used in the $30-50 range. My old Sonys were better, as were $20 (on sale) Sennheiser CX-300's (albeit no mic for either). v-Moda Vibe's sounded substantially better (at ~$80) when they worked, but that's another story. All of the above fit slightly better, which may have something to do with it. On the other hand, I'd say that these Sonys both fit & sound better a little better than the 1st-gen Apple in-the-ear headphones (not the stock 'phones, but I haven't tried the newer Apple earbuds either).

Overall, a decent product considering the iPod/iPhone controls, but there is room for improvement. Given what I know now (mainly, that the volume control doesn't do anything for my old iPhone or Eris), I'd consider a single-button headset like the Griffin TuneBuds Mobile for ~$20 instead; but +$10 for future iPod functionality seems acceptable. As best as I can tell, though, this is Sony's only current "iPhone-compatible" earbud offering. Perhaps they are testing the market. Perhaps there is a better option. If music is your primary concern, I'd say that there almost certainly are better options in the same price range. If you want/need the iPod-style buttons too, though, the MDR-EX38IP isn't bad.

EDIT: For reference, a small white sticker on the box states:

Remote supported only by:

iPod nano (4th generation)
iPod classic (120GB)
iPod touch (2nd generation)
iPod shuffle (3rd generation)

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I'm ordering another pair!, May 30, 2010
Raymond S. Ramirez (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDREX38iP/WHI EX Earbud with iPod Remote Control (White) (Electronics)
I don't write reviews for items hardly ever but this pair of headphones deserved some positive praises from me. First let me say that I've been enjoying MP3 players since my first RIO back in 2000 or whenever, way back when. I've tried on so many different headphones over the years and have observed many different fits and sound qualities. I'm a big fan of dance and electronic music, so having a low frequency response with my headphones is definitely important. I've paid more money for a supposed high quality brand only to be completely disappointed that I don't like risking low bass for low (or high) money. That being said, the bass on this isn't bad at all! Sure, it's big, it's not deep, but it does what it needs to do without sacrificing treble or the mid range.
***TIP #1: Currently I use a iPhone 3GS and I compensate for the low bass by setting the EQ setting to Electronic or Classical.***

Also, for the many designs that I've tried over the years, the ear bud tends to be my favorite (although I plan on purchasing Bose over the ear headphones sometime within the next year). The two problems with ear buds in general are that, #1-the rubber buds pop out a lot on accident, and #2-they fall out of the ear. I'll go on record by saying that these ear buds have hardly ever popped out at all!
***TIP #2: If you switch the ear buds by putting the right bud in the left ear and the left bud in the right ear, they are MUCH MUCH MORE STURDY and stay in place really well.*** No more having to fidget by readjusting the ear buds every couple of minutes.

And finally, the little handy remote. I love being able to control the music, switch tracks, pause tracks, and control the volume without having to take it out every single time.
***TIP #3: Plus with iPhone 3GS the built-in microphone inside the remote lets me talk on the phone without having to hold it in my ear!***

I will say that this is also the reason why I gave the Ease of Use rating a 4 star, because something happened with the remote and now the remote buttons seem to be stuck and I have to push extra hard to use the functions. Not a good sign since it hasn't been a year yet :-( So why am I buying this again? Well, I lost my previous pair and instead of finding another set of headphones with all these features I'd rather go with this because the price point is worth it and next time I'll plan on being more careful with the remote to make sure it doesn't get broken again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised. Works with iPod Touch 3rd gen, November 30, 2009
Despite other reviews of incorrect fit or earbuds slipping out I have not had any problems with them. The fit is really good and comfortable. Once in, the earbuds sound really good. The sound tends to be towards the "bass-y" side. Listeners who enjoy hip hop, dance, or any type of electronic music will really appreciate bass reproduction on the lower end (without using EQ). Don't let this prevent you from trying them out if you are into other types of music. They sound great when listening to Jazz, Classical, and Pop music also. Some headphones have poor bass reproduction so this is a real plus. I also have a pair of Sennheiser CX-300 but they don't fit as well so bass reproduction is troublesome.

Aside, from the sound, the iPod volume/mic works great. It works very well with iPod Touch 3rd gen (firmware 3.1.2). I am able to place VOIP phone calls and use Apple's Voice Control without any problems. If you are looking for mid-priced earbuds with iPod voice control then these will do the job. If you want to exercise with these then look elsewhere since earbuds and sweaty ear canals will never work together. They will always slip out of your ears.

These come with a headphone bag that you can use to clean your mp3 player, large and small replacement ear buds, and a cord adjuster to make your cable length just right. Look at the picture I submitted above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, March 30, 2010
I finally found exactly what I'm looking for. If you're like me and are searching for in-ear headphones that are noise isolating (to reduce hearing damage) with a remote AND microphone for your iPhone, then these are perfect. Every other option is around $70 and are of the same quality. I had Zagg Buds and these are better than those. I am glad an affordable alternative finally came out. Thanks SONY.

4.0 out of 5 stars The SONY EX38ip : are Great, June 10, 2011
So I bought the following from AMAZON with hopes of finding one pair that would be better than the stock I POD ear-buds. all in one order....

1. SONY DR-EX300ip top of the line Sony w volume control.

2. SONY EX38ip mid range Sony w volume control.

3. JVC HA-FR50-p Marshmallow remote

1. the Sony EX300ip : are Incredible..... The BASS and HIGHS are 100% distortion free at all volume levels, the EFFICIENCY : A+, is awesome at half volume they feel and sound much louder then any thing I've heard. the clarity of the sound is Monitor studio quality. you can listen to these at full volume and you will not feel any fatigue. if you want the better than BOSE sound at half the price look no further...

2. The SONY EX38ip : are Great, The BASS and HIGHS are 80% distortion free which is very good; the stock Apple ear-buds are about 60% distortion free. So these are fantastic for the money, the bass is clean up to %70 volume and then begins to break up a little... EFFICIENCY : B+, to hear loud music you need to crank the volume level past 80% levels, at 80% you hear the same thing that you hear with the Sony EX300ipa at 50%. I don't want to say anything negative about These, but they seem like they were built with some resistance in the wires or the drivers..but for $27 bucks these are FANTASTIC...

3. JVC HA-FR50-p - Marshmallow remote : are Amazing.....The BASS and HIGHS are 95% distortion free which is very good; the bass is clean up to %95 volume and then begins to break up a little. and becomes a little harsh to deal with causing a little fatigue. EFFICIENCY : A+, to hear loud music you only need to crank it up to 60% volume and they sound like a you have a 8" sub stuck to the back of your head...simply fantastic Bass response...for $27 they reproduce an amazing clear mesmerizing sound that will absolutely rock your world....

A little about me: I have been in the hobby of building clean competition quality Car Sound systems for 20 years, I only use Diamond Audio AMPS and MB-Quart components.

I am very happy with all 3 sets....not a dud in the bunch....

NOTE : I bought two pairs from the apple store and returned both; a Sennheiser Adidas PMX 680i and a pair of Philips headphones, " Both Horrible sounding, they had no bass , no highs, sound was muted and distorted ". I did however love the incredible sounding BOSE at the local Bose store, I didn't buy the Bose because I though there has to be something that sounds better for a better price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, just what I was looking for - iPhone 4, November 4, 2010
I am VERY picky when it comes to my ear buds and the sound must be very good with nice rich bass. I had the Bose Earbuds, and yes they are good, but I have small ears and they would not stay in my ears (even with the smallest attachment) and hurt my ears. I have had a pair of sony ear buds that I LOVED and have used them for years. Great sound, comfortable, good bass, etc... but since they are outdated did not have a Mic or volume/track controls. I read the reviews of these and decided to buy them. THEY ARE PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!! They have the same perfect sound as my old Sony earbuds plus the additional benefit of making phone calls, handling volume, etc... without having to take the phone out of my pocket.

******* PLEASE READ ****** My biggest fear was of all the reviews I read saying they had "no bass" and sound quality was poor, etc.... Well, it was for me too at first! I used the smallest attachments and the sound was horrible. Zero bass, poor sound. Then I put in the medium ones and Zam! Perfect sound, rich bass. THE KEY IS USING THE RIGHT SIZE!! They act as a seal with your ear and create a perfect sound.

Trust me, I am a tough critic when it comes to my sound, and I believe you will love these! At the price, this is a great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Closest to the Original iPod/iPhone Headphones, November 21, 2010
These Headphones are the best replacement for your original apple headphones.
They are white, but the feel of the plastic doesn't match the high quality rubber of apple.
The controls/remote and mic work withouth a problem the controls are even better smoother (better press-presure-point, better feedback)
The Play/Pause button lagas half a second behind (like the orginal.)
The earbuds are great but the get dirty fast (but then, they are easier to clean.)
You get a (free) pouch included which is nicer and more useful then others.
Not that its important but the box it comes in is rreally nice and it has official signs saying
"Made for iPod"
AND
"Works for Iphone"
You get the three typical sizes:
S, M, L (nothing new)
They are of high quality, they will not fall apart like some fake ipod headphones.
The sound is good to the bass not overdone.
It is the best solution to the orignals (I have bought and sent back about four other heaphone)
Good job SONY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very good for the price, June 24, 2010
I bought these two days ago and got them because I had tried a pair that my friend had.

They are WELL worth the $20(EDITED: They were $30 when I purchased them). I have many headphones and these are just as good if not better than some earbuds that are upwards of $70. I also have some noise cancelling Sony's that are $300+ over the ear headphones and these do almost as good of a job at isolating. They aren't really sold for their noise cancelling, but they still do a great job.

Also, the controller and packaging look a little different from the picture. On the front of the box it says "Made for iPod" and "Works with iPhone" "Headset for iPhone Calls, Remote for iPod Track and Volume Control." I'm not sure which iPods this works in, but I have an iPhone 3GS just like another reviewer, and the remote and mic work very well with my iPhone 3GS. I've got iOS 4 and it works just fine with the new software update.

These headphones are very comfortable and I've worn them for hours at a time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with iPhone 4, January 10, 2011
The hadphones are nice and controls work fine, just like they do on the original Apple headphones. My only two complaints are minor. When I move, the sound of the cords moving goes right into my ears. Maybe all earbuds do this. Second, I've received a couple of complaints that my voice is hard to hear when using mic. I've received more complaints than I did with the Apple headphones, or with my Jawbone Icon.

Rate and Discover Movies