5.0 out of 5 stars Sound is as good as Bose and Klipsch
These headphones are incredible!!!

Published 22 months ago by B. A. Bakken

3.0 out of 5 stars Fool me thrice?
For sound quality and comfort, for this price, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a better set of in-ear headphones. I could wear them for an entire work day without having any discomfort, and the sounds was crisp and clear.

Published on December 27, 2011 by Neal

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound is as good as Bose and Klipsch, December 5, 2012
These headphones are incredible!!!

I have a pair of Klipsch IMAGE S4 that I purchased for $89.00 from the Apple store. I thought they were good. They sounded better than all the Bose in ear headphones that I tried. I primarily used them with my iPhone 4. Most songs were good, but some songs sounded a little tinny, too much came through the headphones on the high end. This was especially true for older songs. The Klipsch rubber ear tips would not connect to my ears to make a great seal and stay in for long periods of time. My ears also began to hurt after I wore them for over 45 minutes.

Going the comfortable noise canceling route, I then bought a pair of Bose On-Ear headphones, model # 331394-0010 (they have been replaced with the new AE2 headphones). These headphones were extremely comfortable and sound wonderful. The speakers handle the highs and lows very well and truly cancel out the outside noise. The problem was the $150.00 I shelled out for them.

My wife was in the need of good, but "don't spend a lot of money" cheap, headphones. I found some Phillips and Sony headphones and tried them out. Most of them sounded horrible, so back to the store they went. Then I gave these a try; model MDREX58V. They sounded incredible. I could not believe the sound I was getting out of a $20 pair of in ear headphones. They easily bettered the sound of my Klipsch headphones. I ended up going back and buying another pair for myself.

KEEP IN MIND THAT NOT ALL SONY HEADPHONES SOUND GOOD AND YOU CAN'T GO BY THE PRICE. I tried more expensive Sony headphones and they did not sound as good as these.

Well, I have had these same headphones, and my wife has had hers, for about a year and a half now. I am not too rough on headphones, but they have not been handled gently all the time either. I usually shove them in my front pocket when not in use. They are holding up just fine and still sound amazing. They are extremely comfortable when you choose the right size rubber ear piece that comes with them. I have worn them on a trip to Alaska. 14 hours of flying and layovers with them mostly in my ears and they never started to feel uncomfortable.

The real test came last month though. My wife bought me the new Rush album "Clockwork Angels". She listened to it first from her iPhone with her headphones. She said, "You have got to hear this song, Caravan, with these headphones on. I listened and was impressed. The bass was amazing in the middle of the song. I told her that I bet it would sound even better with my Bose on-ear headphones. "They will blow you away" I said. I got them out of my storage drawer and she plugged them in and started the song over. She wasn't impressed. Said they sounded pretty much the same as the Sonys. I didn't believe her and tried it for myself. Sure enough, the Sony headphones sounded the same, and I would even admit, for the bass, they sounded a bit better then my expensive Bose. Needless to say, for $130 difference, I put my Bose back in my storage drawer and haven't seen them since.

These headphones are easily worth double the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best earbuds for the price, August 24, 2011
This review is from: Sony MDREX58V/BLK EX Series Earbud Headphones (Electronics)
I had a pair of Philips for around 3 months, today I bought these Sony's and they blew me away with their clear and rich sound. And on top of that, they cover your eardrums perfectly so that all exterior sounds do not interfere with the music you're listening. Totally recommend this product!

4.0 out of 5 stars best ear phones in their price range, September 12, 2011
clean balanced sound
energy efficient
very small size, comfortable for sleeping on side
convenient in line volume control
great value

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Price., December 13, 2011
There are the entry line Sony Earbud Headphones. I've had other Sony Earbud Headphones in the past, as well as the Skull Candy INK'd, and of coarse the iPod Headphones. For its price range, these are probably the best Earbuds I've heard.

First off, these are very comfortable Earbuds! They come with three different sized Silicon Ear Tips that are easily switchable. They have three different colors for the sizes, so they are easily distinguishable (Pale is Small, Green is Medium, Blue is Large). Personally I went with small sized Ear Tips. These Earbuds are very small and light. I mostly use the Sony XB40EX, so I was used to its heavy feel, but after trying these, I felt like I didn't even have anything in my ears. They're that light and comfortable. they also won't slip out of your ears easily like most other Earbuds, and you can easily put your head down on them.

The sound quality on these are also good, as you would expect from Sony Earbud Headphones. Its low ends and high ends are decent, and everything in between sounds good. It has a clear and rich sound, and the balance between the low ends and high ends is good. Overall they sound good, but don't expect them to be that great either. They get the job done well, but they're nothing special. It's exactly what you would expect from a Sony Earbud Headphone for this price range.

Other additions I like about these Headphones are the Gold Plated, L - shaped Headphone Jacks. Many times, my headphone jacks have come off, due to the conventional shape of the jacks, but with these L - Shaped jacks, you shouldn't have any problems. I also like the color coded Left and Right markers on the Headphones which are easily distinguishable. The wires also have a little clip where you can drag up and down the two Headphone Wires to prevent them from getting tangled, even though these Headphone wires are still prone to wire tangling, like most other small wired Headphones. These Headphones also come with a little volume control knob. To be honest, the knob feels really cheap and it feels like it's going to break soon. I wish they went with button volume controls rather a knob control.

Overall these are good Earbud Headphones for the price. For under $30, these are probably the best you can buy. The quality of it feels cheap, but the Sound Quality, Comfort, and Everyday Usability pays off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fool me thrice?, December 27, 2011

The problem is that I have now gone through four pairs of these in a little under three years. The durability is just not there. Granted, one of those four sets was lost due to me accidentally washing them, but the other three were the same issue each time - the rubber/plastic encasement around the actual jack came off and the exposed wires were damaged.

Like I said above, my experience in actually USING the product has been nothing but excellent. I just don't want to have to buy a new set of them every six months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, February 14, 2012
This is the third pair of these ear buds that I've ordered (I keep losing them), and I've never found any better. When it comes to ear buds there's a point where no matter how much money you spend, they don't get noticably better. I'm pretty sure these are right at that point. I'm not sure where the bass comes from in these little speakers, but it's there and more than decent. Also they may not have any "noise cancelling" features, but I've actually used them as ear plugs before so I'm pretty happy with the job that they do. So if you want great sound and don't want to pay $150 for a picture of a skull or some stupid rapper's endorsement, you should probably get these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice fit, great sound control., January 15, 2012
I use the smallest bud out of the three choices - which is usual for all inner-ear headphones. The changeable buds seem to be better made than my last pair of Sony's and seem to stay on well (vs. falling off and getting lost too often). The cords to the ears are of equal length - so not the kind that go behind your neck. Nice, simple volume control - nice for when some music gets too loud or soft. The plug in cord is L shaped - so it lies more flat to your device than sticking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, amazing sound!!, February 16, 2014
As someone who listens to a lot of music I was a little skeptical buying $15 earphones, but I trusted Amazon reviews (as I normally do) and figured what the heck!

My old pair broke, and I refuse to use Iphone earplugs (they sound terrible). Now I've only had them for 2 weeks, so I cannot attest to the durability of the headphone, but I can tell you they are thin, light, small, whatever description you would think for low durability. However, i'm always on the move between classes and going to work, or going out and constantly wrapping my headphones up and throwing them in my pocket, and nothing looks to have even worn down yet. And Yes I've had earplugs break within a couple days just from the use I go though, so that is promising!

Now the big part... SOUND!!! taaa ddaaaa

I read the reviews that the sound was THE BEST THING EVERRRRR.. but for $15 im thinking.. ya riight... However, from the moment I put them on I was actually very surprised! The first moment I put them in my ear I was shocked how noise cancelling they were, and thats always a great sign of fit. Not to mention they throw 3 sets of buds in. (Small, Medium, Large) I am still toying around between S and M to which I like best.

The sound quality is verry good. Im talking these would be a great mid level ear plug. Yes, I said it. These would compete with many klipsch, bose, beats, and others on the clarity of the sound. The bass is slightly low, and I use equilizer to boost it a bit, but I cannot bring it to blasting bass, but the bass is very clear and NEVER distorted!

No these do not come close to high end shure, westtones or etymotics, but those are $300 earplugs! what do you expect?! However you could save your self around 50-70 bucks with these, because they are a lot better than many (brand name) mid level earplugs! The high and mid tones are just so clear, and wonderful to listen to!

The volume adjuster is a nice tough, I don't use it often. ummmm, that's about all I have to say about these things!

My opinion... HIGHLY RECOMMEND .. based on: Amazing sound for Amazing price point. Amazon reviews got this one right for sure! Thanks guys!

2.0 out of 5 stars Here's the alternative I switched to, August 19, 2011
Reader Rabbit (Northern Calif., USA) - See all my reviews
Try the Sony MDREX86LP instead. They cost only a bit more, but have bigger magnets. So their frequency response is more balanced, with much richer bass.

The 86's have very low gain -- like these, and apparently like all earbuds with these directly-in-your-ear-canal design. They have no inline volume control (which isn't that useful anyway). And they have an oddly lopsided cord design -- see the MDREX86LP drawing/photo.

But they sound great. My electric guitar had been sounding disappointingly muddy when played through a Boss compact recorder, via low-cost Sony earbuds. When I swapped in the 86's, I finally heard the bright, balanced response I'd originally expected from good Alnico V pickups through a good amp model.

These 58's are plenty bright, but their low end is pretty feeble. Low gain + high-frequency bias = a recipe for frizzy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable!, March 1, 2013
My biggest issue with most headphones, stethoscopes and anything else that is supposed to go into your ear is lack of comfort. My ear canals are smaller and pretty sensitive, so if something doesn't fit right or is too rigid, it just won't work for me.

I ordered these headphones hoping to receive a quality product that was also comfortable, and these certainly fit the bill! I love that you can choose the size of the earbuds to accommodate your anatomy (3 different pairs come with the headphones). The earbuds are also tilted in a way that follows the natural curvature of the ear canal. Smart!

Sony MDREX58V/BLK EX Series Earbud Headphones