1,677 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wireless Headphones
Published on October 7, 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Planned obsolescence
Why I liked my old model MDR-RF925R headphones.

Published on October 28, 2012 by Rob

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wireless Headphones, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF Headphone, Black (Electronics)
Have owned Sony Wireless Headphones Model MDR-RF970R for several years and love them. Decided I needed another set for a TV in my office, so I got the newer version MDRRF985RK and they are perfect. I have difficulty hearing the TV and it is not the volume, but the clarity of the dialog. These wireless headphones are perfect. They block out other noise and make watching TV a pleasure again. I can go into another room and still hear the TV clearly. The set up is very simple. I have recommended these headphones to many of my friends who want to control the volume at which they listen to TV while others watching can tune the TV to a volume that is comfortable for them. I have never had a problem with static. It is great that the battery recharges as it sets in the transmitter cradle. Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF Headphone, Black Update. Now that I have used the headphones for a while I have to say that they are not as clear as the Model MDR-RF970R which were the first headphones I purchased. Wish I had gotten that model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, November 7, 2012
This review is from: Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF Headphone, Black (Electronics)
Two major problems with this headphone.
1. Very small transmittance range. If I walk to a different room just 30 feet away from the TV, the sound in the headphone starts breaking.
2. There is no access to the battery compartment. I contacted Sony customer service about this, and they confirmed that the batteries are not user replaceable. If I need to replace them, I have to send the headphone to the service technician. So their specs published on Sony official website is deceptive. It states that this headphone can use both Ni-MH and simple AAA batteries.
I would not recommend this product to anybody unless you are going to use it next to the TV and dispose it in two years when your original batteries go bad.

Update. After using it for almost two years I would like to change my rating from 2 star to 4 (maybe 3.5)stars. The problem with battery replacement still exists but my battery is still good and shows no signs of going bad so far. Hopefully it will last a few more years. The limited transmittance range is probably a problem of my house (other people have no complains). The quality of materials is good and the headphone is still looks like new.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Overachieving pair of "cans" from Sony, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF Headphone, Black (Electronics)
This is an overachieving pair of headphones from Sony. The purchase price is low and the returns are substantial. Meaning, you get a lot for your money. Another excellent product from Sony.

These "cans" will work with a wide variety of sound sources. You can use the included audio cable to accept signal from RCA jacks or from a single 3.5mm minijack. An adapter is also commonly available if you want to connect to the larger 6.35mm jack on professional audio components. RCA jacks are typically what you would find on a home audio component, such as HiFi Receivers, CD players, etc. The 3.5 minijack, introduced by Sony in 1979 for the Walkman, is what you would normally find in portable audio (mp3 players, Walkman, iPod) as well as just about all computers. The larger 6.35mm jack is less common today, but are still present in some professional audio equipment. You will need to buy an adapter for use with the latter type of jack, the 6.35mm.

I bought this for use with my computer. I watch YouTube, listen to iTunes, and I also edit a lot of video footage. These headphones are much more than capable for all of those. The whole system consists of four very simple components: power supply cable, audio cable, base/charging cradle, and the headphones. Connecting the base to your computer is a very simple process. The whole process of connecting the base to the computer's audio jack and to the power outlet took less than a minute. After that, simply put the headphones on top of the base for the initial battery charge. The Very First battery charge will take 3.5 hours, just like with any other rechargeable battery system.

The sound quality is excellent. You could get fooled into thinking you are listening to a pair of higher-priced units. Sony products are known for overachieving, so this should come as no surprise. I do not think you can find much to complain about when it comes to sound quality. I am an old-fashioned audiophile who prefers his music to have that smooth, warm sound. And I admit, these headphones do not have that warm sound. But then again, unless you spend thousands of dollars on your home audio system, you would not have that either. So yeah, do not expect these to sound like a pair of KEF Reference Series speakers driven by a McIntosh amp! No headphones will do that, unless you spend hundreds (multiple hundred!) of dollars. However, the sound quality of these will easily equal if not better the quality from units costing more than twice as much. What do these give up to units costing many times as much? To me, those $400+ (Sony MDR-DS 3000, Sennheiser R220) units have deeper, tighter bass. Obviously, those are what you should consider if you are seeking that type of sound in a wireless unit.

Do not let the fact that it is wireless scare you. Wireless technology has come a long way during the last 16 years. I recall listening to a pair back in 1996, and let me say that there is absolutely no comparison. Current technology means you no longer have to compromise sound quality or signal reliability.

The signal quality between the base and the headphones is very solid. I have not experienced any drop outs inside the house. I have not tested the maximum range because extended distance is not that important for my use. However, let me say that I have strayed 25 feet from the base and did not experience any signal loss. Also, I have never experienced any interference from other wireless equipment. But if you should ever do, there is a small switch behind the base that allows you to change to three different channels. The signal is very solid and very reliable. And the full-size headphones are lighter than they look. They are deceptively light and well-balanced for their size. And they are comfortable, although also quite large.

This is an excellent product. However, know in advance what you are getting and consider if it is the best choice for your needs and wants. Many times, a lot of otherwise good products get a lot of negative reviews simply because the purchaser failed to carefully evaluate their needs beforehand. This is a full-size, circumaural, fully-enclosed pair of headphones. The units do not have an open back. That means you will be insulated from outside noises. If you're expecting pizza delivery, turn the volume way down so you can hear the door bell. And if you watch YouTube at work, you might not hear your boss sneaking up behind you! For the very same reason, you won't hear your spouse walking up behind you when you watch those adult videos on your home computer! You might also get a shock when you see yourself in the bathroom mirror for the first time while wearing these. Yeah, they are large.

This unit works very well on my computer. They also work very well with my iPod. I can recommend this without any reservations.

2.0 out of 5 stars Planned obsolescence, October 28, 2012
This review is from: Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF Headphone, Black (Electronics)
Why I liked my old model MDR-RF925R headphones.

When the included rechargeable batteries (2 aaa batteries in a case that turned them into a single "battery")degraded to the point that I would only get about 2 hours of performance before needing to charge them again I replaced them with 2 rechargeable aaa eneloop batteries (without the case) and was able to use them for 9 days (tv watching) before needing to put fresh eneloops into them. This was done very easily by pressing a button to pop off the battery cover. The fact that the eneloops would not charge from the included inductive charger without being inserted into the original battery case (would have been difficult) did not bother me at all since I have a smart charger for my eneloops anyway. The higher capacity of the eneloops combined with the smart charger preventing the batteries from falling out of condition (as the original batteries did) kept me very happy through many charging cycles until the headphones' "self-adjusting strap" (an automatic on/off switch)finally died.

Why I will return my new MDR-RF985RK headphones.

Reason #1
There is no battery cover on these and no obvious way to get them out (I don't want to risk damaging them & rendering the product un-returnable). The instruction booklet refers the customer to the store they were bought from or to Sony itself to see about replacing the "battery" (presumably still 2 aaa's in a special case but I am not actually sure about that). If I am incorrect and it's a different type of battery then that gives me double reason return these headphones (over and above just the lack of convenience due to lack of a pop off battery cover) since I would not be able to use my rechargeable batteries and smart charger after the original battery(s) falls out of condition (guaranteed with the "non-smart" type of charger built into these devices).

Reason #2
While the old model had indestructible earpad fabric the new ones are covered with a shiny brittle plastic that will wear down easily over time. I have had in the past non wireless headphones with earpads covered with the same substance it just didn't last at all. While the instruction book gave no info at all about replacing the battery (to get more service revenue?) it did make sure to mention that replacement earpads will be available (would never have been needed on the old model).

I am disappointed that Sony would do this especially since the new model is significantly more expensive than the old model. I have received less for more. That's going in the wrong direction.

Gee whiz thanks Sony!
You have lost me as a fan

P.S. I know that people without rechargeable batteries and smart chargers may not care so much about this post but I am posting it for those who would care. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Darn Good, November 12, 2012
Goose Man "Guzmon" (Jacksonville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF Headphone, Black (Electronics)
My last wireless cans, Sennheiser, were great electronically but very bad ergonomically - any small movement of the head and they would fall off - no 'spring action' at all. These new Sony cans fit great with proper 'spring action' to keep them from falling off your head. Electronically, I have not had the static problems reported by other users, these play clearly with no noise. I have only 2 concerns: 1) they don't go as loud as the Sennheisers - with the TV speakers turned off I have to turn the TV volume up to 100 - with the others I turned up to only 80. On any low-volume program these may not reach a satisfying volume level, and 2) apparently there are no user-replaceable batteries. The manual does not address this in any way. My concern is: when the batteries go bad what do you do? Seems you have to throw away the cans and buy new ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This!, February 6, 2013
Bdub (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF Headphone, Black (Electronics)
Some reviewers on here seem too picky. Yes they are big (what were you expecting, Earbuds?!) Yes they work better if you have line of sight (not outside mowing your lawn). People, these are wireless headphones for under $100, don't expect to do laundry in your basement while listening to TV upstairs and not have static. That said, if you want great sounding, wireless headphones for watching TV in bed or on the couch, these are perfect. I picked these up because I liked the look and the price. Very impressed with the sound quality, like being in a theater! Crisp treble and great bass. I use them with my home theater and XBOX so I can play games while my GF watches her TV shows in the loft. I even hear little details in the sound I didn't hear before thru my surround. They cover your whole ear so it blocks outside noise as well. Yes, I can still make runs to the kitchen or bathroom with very little static, so these are mobile - within reason. Tips for use: leave headset volume on low to medium and turn up the volume on the sound source (this will eliminate the hiss), fully charge them first before use, don't have the stand next to your amplifier or router as it could disrupt the signal. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value!, February 23, 2013
This review is from: Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF Headphone, Black (Electronics)
I found these headphones by accident when I was looking for "TV Ears". These cost a lot less, but have the quality sound that you come to expect with any Sony product. I usually use them in the same room and I have never had any problems with reception.

One quick hint if you are using them for watching TV, they need to be hooked up to the cable/satelite box, not the TV, in order to work!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hope this helps others that are looking for a wireless headphone setup, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF Headphone, Black (Electronics)
I did A LOT of research when looking to buy a wireless headphone kit for my dad whose hearing is not what it used to be. The volume on the TV is too loud for my mom but, at a lower volume, my dad misses words. He gets the gist of a conversation, but what fun is missing the actual words. Anyway, the idea for this purchase came about when my mom suggested "TV ears" based on what a friend of hers told her about a similar problem between her and her husband.

So... I ruled the TV ears out immediately since they resemble airplane headphones (which my dad dislikes). Next was the Sennheiser RS line. Reviews were spotty and what ultimately swayed me was the reviews about the ergonomic design - they would slip off if the head moved forward. That brings us to these Sony headphones.

I've tried them and they sound really good. Not AMAZING, but a pretty darn good when listening to a satellite radio channel on Dish Network. The average use is about 15 feet and they have no static whatsoever. They get some hiss if the headphone volume is all the way up and the TV is loud as well. To test the range, I walked to the corner of the house. The signal had some definite "static/hiss spots", but it was a strange feeling to hear and understand all of the words through three walls about 60 feet away.

I gave the set four stars because I don't like the cheap looking/feeling exterior of the headphones (I find them comfortable to wear so this is purely cosmetic) and I am not a fan of anything that uses proprietary/non-replaceable batteries.

I hope this review helps someone who is on the fence about purchasing something like this. I can't give a true opinion about competing products, but I can tell you that my dad is very happy with this Sony set. Happy shopping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Working well so far, January 4, 2013
I received these today and have tried them for about 10 minutes or so. I didn't experience any of the negative aspects that I have read in other reviews. I didn't have any noise issues. There were no interference noises or sound cutting in and out, etc.

One thing I noticed they look a little different from the picture on Amazon. There isn't a separation of the inner and outer headband like the photo shows. They are more intertwined with each other in person if the visual of the headphones is important.

They fit fine, but heavier than my Bose noise cancelling headphones. I am only using these to watch TV in the bedroom so my wife can sleep while I watch TV.

The only negative so far is not directly related to the headphones per se, more so the TV. When you plug the headphones into the TV headphone jack it cuts out the internal speakers and pushes sound to the headphones with no option to switch between the headphones or the internal TV speakers. So if we want to watch TV together or my wife wants to watch TV without the headphones, the headphones would need to be unplugged from the TV, which is kind of a pain based on how our TV is mounted.

Once again, not a function of the headphones. This is a TV function. None the less, kind of a wrinkle in how easy it is to use wireless headphones with a TV in general.

I will update if anything changes substantially with more usage, however so far so good and no issues or complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great around the ear headphones for the price., November 17, 2012
This review is from: Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF Headphone, Black (Electronics)
I think if you want a cordless headphone set that is under a hundred bucks this is your best pick, especially if you want something that surrounds your ears. The sound quality is solid and clean and they are light and comfortable. The adjustments are easy to get to. I wish they would have a bass and treble adjustment but you you can do that in your TV adjustments. Other reviews people complain about static but I haven't had that problem with mine. The feature that I really like is how you can easily sit them on the stand and they start charging. Good pick.

Update, I really like these Headphones and I have found out if I do have static all I have to do to get rid of it is to push the tuning button on the headphones and it goes away. I love the charging dock a lot and the also sound full at a low volume which is good if I'm watching something while I'm sleepy. The only thing I can say bad about them is they are a little bulky but without any added weight.

Sony MDRRF985RK Wireless RF Headphone, Black