2,176
Color Name: RedProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$27.28 + Free shipping

on December 28, 2011
Color Name: RedProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
First I tried the SONY MDR-ZX100 headphones that were on average $10 cheaper. They sounded really good as well for the price. I read in many reviews that if you upgrade to the SONY MDR-ZX300 for about $10 more the overall sound and base is much better! I am happy to say that it is very true, the volume level and total sound spectrum is MUCH better. The highs are crisp and the base is in fact richer (deeper) and not at all muddy. You will also notice that the mids are very well balanced and is actually very surprising in this price range! I decided to go with the red version of the SONY MDR-ZX300 headphones because they just look really GOOD!!!! In my opinion this may be the best headphones value on the market bar none! If you need really good headphones that look, sound, feel and perform great in the $20-$30 price range look no further you just found them!!!!!!

UPDATE: I like these Sony MDR-ZX300 headphones so much as everyday beater headphones that I just purchased ANOTHER pair yesterday 2/13/12 in BLACK. I am a headphone Guy and I really have to say SONY hit it out of the park with the MDR-ZX300 value wise!!!!
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 27, 2013
Color Name: RedProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
So i got these headphones out of the box and plugged them into both my phone and my computer.

The good:
The sound was banging, great frequency distribution (the sound range is awesome) and they are really loud. They look awesome, and definitely feel sturdy enough for long term use. Adjustability and comfort was also really good, they can fit any size head.

The bad:
Unfortunately for me, there was way more bass coming out of the right side than the left. I'm pretty sure I just got a bad pair. so, I sent them in to Sony all the way to Laredo, TX. I hope they get there and get replaced. I'm out 5 bucks for the shipping. Kinda seems pointless to do for only a 25 dollar pair of headphones. Hopefully others aren't experiencing this.

** Update 1/29/13
I sent them into Sony and got another pair in exchange. This pair is not defective and I can confidently say now that I'm happy with these headphones. Great buy for 25 bucks.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 26, 2013
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I was talking with a bunch of guys on an audiophile forum I frequent. Sony is known for having some bad quality products but we all agreed for the price range, these are a fantastic deal. I own a pair of ATH-M50s which definitely sound better but this isn't too far off surprisingly. I use my MDRZX300 when I'm commuting since I won't be losing too much money if these break or get stolen. Regardless for the price these are absolutely incredible. I honestly didn't think products that sounded this good in this price range were possible but apparently I'm wrong. These definitely sound double the price of what headphones are worth on average, which is a fantastic deal. Definitely grab these if you're looking for a good pair of headphones in this price range.

The Good:

- The cord is quite thick which does wonders to make sure it doesn't tangle. You can throw these in a backpack and not have to worry about the cord totally tangling up.
- The cord also seems very durable which is a nice feature considering the fact many less durable cords will just render your headphones useless within a month if you don't take care of them.
- Very light. They're great for traveling and taking them with you since they're not very bulky. You also don't look like a complete idiot either instead of wearing headphones that encompass your entire face.
- Sound Quality: Sounds nice and clear. Has a nice range of balance between frequencies unlike many headphone manufacturers that market "MASSIVE BASS = Better" *ahem Beats*.
- It seems to be quite durable as well. I've owned these for over 5 months and I haven't noticed any changes in the quality of sound.
- It's cheap. Cheap as hell actually. Even double the current price is a fair statement for these headphones. Seriously, if someone is planning on robbing you just buy him these as an early birthday present or something and get it over and done with.
- It sounds better than my bro's "Beats", that sound like absolutely over the top distorted bass almost like you're slowing killing yourself with a massive kick drum. It's true though, even $2 headphones will sound better since you can't hear anything else apart from the overly exaggerated bass with Beats. So it's not much of an achievement, rather an extra.

The Bad:

- Flimsy. The headphones are a bit flimsy and would probably break if you threw them off an 8 story building. If you're not planning on doing that, it shouldn't be a problem. Main point is though, these headphones are not bricks, you do need to take minor good care of them.
- Comfort isn't very good, I'm not really digging the entire fake plastic leather pads; it feels really cheap. It is wearable though, you can easily wear these for over a few hours without any complaints.
- Sound leakage. There is some sound leakage even at moderate volumes but unless you're listening to your music at maximum volume at your library it shouldn't be a problem, and what were you expecting with over-the-ear headphones anyway? A perfect seal between your ear and these headphones is a bit unrealistic.
- I feel like I'm stealing. Yes, it's that good and I'm serious. It's just so damn cheap. Honestly, skip your $400 beats, save yourself the money, buy these instead and celebrate with a $380 Starbucks Coffee Marathon. Or just pocket the extra money and buy yourself something nice. :)
on March 30, 2012
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
These are high quality headphones for the money. First of all the free shipping was very fast, it came two days ahead of time in a protected box. Second my friend has the new Beats by Dr.Dre and i had a bet that mine had better bass and sound.We got our other two friends who tried each one on, they said that mine had better bass and clearer sound.His tremble was only a little bit better, mine won though.Finally they are durable, they got dropped down my flight of steps by my nephew and didn't even have a scratch, just great.

Update

After the time from the original review they are still going strong with no distortion in sound and no wear from daily use. They are still in mint condition after using them every other day, it just goes to show that Sony is the brand that will last the ages. The only thing I seemed to notice is that they fit a little looser to the head than when they were brand new. Beside that I stand behind what I said, if you buy these headphones you will be impressed with the quality and the sound for a terrific price.
review image
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 25, 2012
Color Name: RedProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I have a very hard time concentrating and focusing while I study. Someone suggested classical music with over the ear headphones. After looking around and reading reviews I decided on these (starving student). I am amazed. So far I am able to drown out noise, which is a surprise because they are not advertised as noise cancellation headphones. The sound of the classical music is amazing. It sounds like I am at a concert.

As a female with small ear lobes, they fit perfectly. The cord length is perfect for me because I am just using them while at a table or desk.I have tried them to watch movies, tv, on my ipod, ipad and mac and they are pretty good for the price.

Snobby "audiophiles" shouldn't be buying these in the first place, therefore their critique will always be snobby.
review image
Color Name: RedProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
THE SHORT REVIEW: Good value for price, comfortable, good design/styling, somewhat clinical sound - but not bad. These are not for bass addicts.

THE LONG REVIEW:
I just got these yesterday. I needed headphones for long walks, didn't want my ears completely enclosed yet I hate bud headphones too. The price and design of these was appealing and then the word "outdoor" caught my eye. That influenced my purchase - I have the hope / belief that the drivers in these headphones would be more immune to rainy days when my head is sopping wet on a outing.

SOUND QUALITY / CHARACTERISTICS: Clear, ungrating, neutral but it's not that totally warm immersive feather pillow sonic environment. Good midrange intelligiblity, unexaggerated high frequencies. No native (by design) "scooped EQ". Nothing is obnoxious or grating. The bass is NOT exaggerated. It's "enough" for me. Those who want the metal/rap bass overkill - you can forget it. Applying Bass EQ will help - up to a point - but it will NOT make these headphones bass machines (something they are not.) Now don't bail on these because of this observation: OK, so you are NOT getting the bottom octave of bass or exaggerated bass. What you DO get is clean and less prone to ear fatigue. These do NOT have the real bottom octave output of say an $85.00 closed cans headphone set. You shouldn't be surprised at that. The sound is experienced as coming at you somewhat -- it's a "document" not a "World". You don't get a totally immersive world at this price. ---> That being said it's not bad. <---

LISTENING FATIGUE: I can listen to these Sony MDRZX300 for a long period without a lot of ear fatigue. I tend to run my player at moderate volume to avoid hearing loss.

OUTPUT LEVEL: SUPER efficient. I can't turn up my discman (remember those?) more than halfway. This means longer battery life for various portable usage scenarios (iPod, laptop, etc)

DESIGN: - They look cool (I bought them with the subdued red metallic look). You don't look like a total "shut out the world" self-absorbed doofus wearing them.
- The "cans" swivel easily and most important for glasses wearers: You can get them immediately on and OFF your head with NO drama.
No glasses caught in them and a tangled mess crashing to the floor.

- Headband adjusts easily - no hassles. Smart designed in ridges for your fingertips to make contact with headband for adjustments.
- Basically you put these on and adjustment-wise: set it and forget it. No big deal with trying to get things "just so".
- Cord is shorter than some: 48" from the plug to the base of the drivers.

COMFORT: Fairly high comfort. Comfortable for at least a solid hour or more. No "head-in-vice" sensation so far. Compared to my old Koss UR-20 economy headphones these are WAY more comfortable.

SUMMARY: These are "honest" portable "on the go" comfortable headphones at a particular price point (I paid around $22.50). They are well made and sound reasonably decent. They have a honest audio equalization which is hard to find in the lower price points. Power consumption efficient (high output). They don't hog your life (space) or your head (space on your head : ) I have(over many years) heard and suffered through bad,harsh sounding, boomy, etc overpriced headphones: these are not. For their scope & function I feel good about value received for what I paid for them. If these were to cost 40 bucks then I'd say they were way over priced. If they were 15 bucks I'd call them a steal. I'll use more expensive headphones for critical listening. That's about it.

P.S. Decent alternatives / suggestions you might consider: the original Koss "Porta Pro" lightweight foldable headphones $36.00. Surprisingly clear unexaggerated sound and can be made VERY compact for travel. Comes with a drawstring travel pouch. These are my work headphones. (Koss makes all kinds of headphones, both crap and great by the way - you just have to be selective). Finally: I almost bought the JVC HAS600A (enclosed ear, foldable) based on reviews, for $33.00 - I may still buy a pair. Over and Out.
on October 21, 2012
Color Name: RedProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I got tired of wearing earbuds and they were starting to start my ears. But I love to listen to music while studying and relaxing. I've been eye-ing Beats by Dre headphones but I'm on a moderate college student budget. Then I saw these! They have good reviews, they're pretty, and they are 1/10 of the price of Beats so I brought them and I couldn't be happier with them. I listen to all kinds of music and they all sound good with these. They are also comfortable on my ears (but I'm used to wearing earbuds). They do leak sound even though I keep the volume between 25%-50% on whatever device I'm using. You can tell what song I'm listening to if you're standing close (But I don't care).

I'm glad I brought these instead of Beats because I've never really own a pair of "over the head" headphones and the only thing I dislike is that I wear glasses and sometimes when I'm wearing these, the arms of my glasses hurt the side of my head/back of my ears but that's a nerd problem I guess.
review image review image review image
on March 3, 2012
Color Name: RedProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I just received these headphone today and right out of the box they have amazing clarity. The sound is crisp, clear, and even. I can't get over how comfortable they are on my head and how easy they were to adjust. The red color is great and gives these headphones a great look to go with a great feel and sound. The bass on the MDRZX300's is smooth and deep, not poppy or snappy. I suggest these to anyone that wants to save some money and still get a great pair of headphones.
on November 7, 2012
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard Packaging
I would like to begin by stating that these headphones are THE MOST durable piece of cans that I have ever owned. I usually go through headphones every 6 months because of my busy lifestyle and high mobility. I am very mobile and use these headphones for working (ambient music sometimes helps me focus), casual listening, and even listening in the gym. I cannot tell you how much I abuse headphones (hence why I go through them every 6 months). These headphones take the cake in durability, I have used this for a whopping 2+ years.
The sound quality is amazing. I prefer headphones over earphones because of their quality and comfort. These Sony headphones are not the most portable, but it's nothing to run away from. Trust me, these cans will give you the most bang for your buck at $30. I owned the Koss headphones (died on me after 5 months) which is more expensive and popular than these headphones. I can say that the bass is deeper and clearer, while also being better in crispness and depth. I feel that that the stereo or 3D range is better on these Sony headphones, while the Koss seemed more mono, less stereo, and less 3D.
Like I have said, I have owned these headphones for about 2 years so I have a considerable amount of experience with it and the headphones have been efficiently 'burned out.' Burning out (for those audio newbies) is when you use the headphone for more than 100 play hours. After this amount of play hours, the diaphragm in the headphones 'melt' into their intended state. For some headphones, the burn out effect is low, and for some is high. These headphones don't have a drastic difference, but the difference is noticeable. Upon burning out, the range is increased especially when it comes to bass. At first, I felt that the bass was a 'one hit wonder' with a limited frequency. But now, the bass is much more dynamic. The treble is noticeably lower now that the headphones have been burned out, but before I felt that the treble was unnatural. Basically, the headphones were more 'metallic' with high treble and low bass range before, and after burning out the sound sounds much more natural with a much greater range and dynamics.
Again, these headphones are a little more bass heavy, but nothing uncomfortable. Im very sensitive toward bass, but feel that these headphones did have more bass than I originally thought. Below is a list of pros/cons:
Pros:

-Very Durable
-Very natural sounds when burned out
-the wire cable is VERY durable (half of my previous headphones died because the aux end of the cable malfunctioned)
-the wire has some coating that makes it less likely to tangle (not very pronounced as others that have a tangle free wire)
-one side of the headphone has a red marker so that you know which side is for your right ear. Does this very well
-looks sexy, not showy (ahem, ahem, beats) and looks professional, non gimmicky (ahem, ahem, skullcandy)

Cons:
-portability is okay, not great.

Possible Pros&Cons: (depends on your taste)
-bass heavy (for me it's slightly more than what I want)
-high initial treble before burning out (Im impartial, but I enjoy the low, natural treble more)

All in all, this is a great buy. The smartest headphone purchase I ever made. Great gift, or just for personal use without looking like a hipster-teen or hoodlum with beats.
on October 16, 2012
Color Name: BlackProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingVerified Purchase
I had forgotten what it was like to listen to headphones that weren't crammed into your ears. I admit that I'm not one to be ridiculously picky about speakers/headphones, but it has been years since I listened to the old fashioned over your ear headphones and I can't believe how nice these sound for the price. I opened them up as soon as they were delivered (arrived in less than 24 hours with Prime free shipping) and I haven't taken them off since. I'm going on almost 2 hours and they are still extremely comfortable. I know someone mentioned noise cancelling, but I'm not sure I'd take it quite that far unless you want to listen to them cranked up so loudly that you'll eventually not need noise cancelling due to deafness. That being said, I have the volume set at about 50% and they drown out the background noise fairly well as long as it isn't a quiet song. I had looked through a lot of the inexpensive headphone reviews and decided on these because they seemed to do well for both comfort and sound. I have to say, I am definitely not disappointed. The only additional thing that I would like to have is a volume control on the cord, but I can live without it for the price. Highly recommended if you are tired of the poorly fitting ear buds and would like to have comfort and quality for not a lot of dollars!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations