4.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE the sound, but Sony made one mistake in my opinion
Published 19 months ago by V. Nayak

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK
I'm keeping it, but do agree with some reviews: Sounds super distorted when cranked to high volumes. But it's loud enough for the space it is used at my house. Some of the big drawbacks. Only sounds good at mid volume or less with iPod eq set to "bass reducer." Only 3 foot of super thin speaker wire permanently attached with modular plugs that connect speakers to main...
Published 22 months ago by Phillip Box

4.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE the sound, but Sony made one mistake in my opinion, March 15, 2013
V. Nayak (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony MHCEC609ip iPhone & iPod Shelf System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
The sound from this system is incredible. I have put this in my 1200 sq ft Basement, and even at half volume, the whole place is filled with deep, rich sound. The Bass is deep, and if you close your eyes, you would picture a much bigger system. The iPod connection works well. However, there is one major problem with this system in my opinion: It does not have an AUX input!! This means that you cannot connect ANYTHING OTHER THAN an iPod or older iPhone. You cannot even connect Sony's own MP3 Walkman to this system! I also happen to have a Droid phone. I thought that I would fool the system - I bought an adapter wire on the internet, which converts the output from the phone's 3.5mm headphone jack to the iPod Adapter. It did not work, because the Sony Sytem seems to be designed to detect the presence of an actual Apple device. I cannot understand why Sony would make a device that only accepts Apple products, and nothing else, as input. That is why I took one star off.

4.0 out of 5 stars This player rocks!, March 13, 2012
We picked this unit up at Kmart on sale for $99. Hooked it up very easily and plays CDs, radio and iPod with amazing sound! Well worth the $$. Stylish looking and lightweight.

5.0 out of 5 stars sony mini system MHCEC609i, May 21, 2012
I have had this for a little while now and i love the sound from the speakers it sounds like they are bigger woofers cause the bass is not bad. I am glad sony finally put the ipod dock permanent in place so it doesn't get damaged folding up and down. It has a CD RADIO IPOD DOCK also comes with a remote and radio antennas.

The only problem is that the speaker wires are not very long so i had to splice into them with more wire that matched in color and the wires have a special connectors on the end of them so thats why you have to cut in the middle of the wires this might void your warranty not sure but u will only need to take the stereo in for repair so they will never see the speakers LOL

yes i would recommend this costs me 149.99 in canada at future shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stereo!, May 12, 2012
I love this stereo! It sounds great and the price was good too. I got it as a gift for my birthday, and I highly recommend getting it for someone Or yourself. You won't be disappointed, I promise!!

5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW of stereo, July 29, 2012
Elizabeth Dierks (NEWTON, KANSAS, US) - See all my reviews
Excellent and easy to set up. A little bit longer speaker wire would be great but WOW! Sound is wonderful and for the price, I think I got a great deal. It even arrived earlier then expected. I was impressed and would go for the 500 watts HI-Fi if I had a bigger place but this one, Love it!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, July 31, 2012
I have been using this stereo for about a week and it is awesome. The sound is great. The remote control changes the song from my iPhone 3GS. I have been incredibly amazed with this stereo. I have it in my basement, where none of our phones get service, yet the radio stations still come in crystal clear. I would definately recommend buying this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Need younger eyes, August 20, 2012
Steven A. Ross "Steve" (Long Beach, California) - See all my reviews
This isn't a bad little stereo but it's got way too much bass, which is almost impossible to eliminate, regardless of the equalization setting (I mostly listen to talk radio and old radio shows in MP3 format). The display is rather small but is easy to read. Overall, it's not much to look but it does the job. One other thing is that the remote is small and it hard to read, I'm thinking of adding my own labels to it. I do like the ability to play MP3 disks, very nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony MHCEC609ip iPhone & iPod Shelf System, November 17, 2012
This product arrived 2 days after I ordered it, and the quality far exceeded what I expected! The sound is quite good, and I was able to set it up with no problems within minutes. I had originally planned to get the 3 or 5 cd disc player, but to optimize space, decided upon this after reading other reviews. I am very glad I did, and am very satisfied with this product! I highly recommend this to anyone with small space living rooms, as the volume can be adjusted accordingly, but to test it out, I went across the house and turned it up, and could hear it quite clearly without any distortion of sound! Great sound for such a small price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Unit, Unbeatable Price!, June 9, 2013
I purchased this unit from a local retailer. Before I opened the box, I read some of the reviews on here and noticed complaints about the sound, the bass not being loud enough and the difficulty in connecting the speakers. I was beginning to wonder if I had made a mistake in purchasing it and if I should return it?

I decided to try it out. First of all, I have never had a stereo where the speakers were so easy to connect! The speaker plugs just fit right into the little sockets on the back of the unit. No twisting of tiny wires trying to get them into the unit to deal with.

The sound of the unit is incredible! I had recently purchased a smaller CD shelf unit (more expensive) from Sony that was not very loud. I ended up putting that in my bedroom and replacing it with this larger unit down in my basement. I was very impressed with the sound. I own a lot of CDs and many of the CDs that were pressed in the 80's and early 90's were mastered very low and it's hard to find an inexpensive unit that you are actually able to listen to these CDs where the volume is loud enough. Really, the sound is so good on this unit, I can hear it throughout the entire house (I live in a 2-story house and this stereo is in the basement). I can turn the sound all the way up with ZERO distortion. I'm not really understanding why some people are saying there is not enough bass with this unit. The original setting had the bass set so heavy, I had to turn the setting to "Flat" because the heavy bass was giving me a headache, even on the softer songs. So, unless you are looking to play music for your entire neighborhood or in a dance club, the bass is more than sufficient for normal use on this unit.

I can't comment on the Ipod dock because I more than likely won't be using that feature since I only use my I-pod for workouts. I purchased this system strictly because I was looking for a great CD player at a reasonable price. I found exactly what I was looking for in this system. Also purchased an extended 3 year warranty for under $20, but, hopefully, I won't have to use it. I highly recommend this unit for anyone looking for a great CD stereo system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, June 11, 2012
A nice, solid unit. Easy to assemble. The features are simple and easy to use. The remote is nice, solid and heavy and works well. The stereo unit has a good sound. If anything, there is TOO MUCH bass. I thought I would never say that. But some of the professionally-mastered stuff I have listened to on this unit sounds really clunky in the lower register due to all of the bass. Certainly, the bass boost feature is unnecessary. In fact, I have the Sony set on "Pop" eq setting, lightest on the bass, to help minimize this effect. Even without the boost and on "Pop", the bass is still loud and clear.

I don't know, though, if most people would consider that a bad thing, that there is perhaps too much bass.

Otherwise, a cool unit. I got it for about $130 with shipping, it seems reasonable.