5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value - great sound, December 26, 2001
This review is from: Sony Mini System with 60-Disc MegaStorage Changer (MHC-GS100) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
For what it costs and it's size, this machine is great. Took me 5 minutes on christmas morning to set it up, attach it to an X-Box and my television (took that long only because my TV cabinet is huge and hard to manuver around). It holds 60 CDs; at first it is a pain to search for the right one, but once you start programming the CD info in, makes life a lot easier. The sound is great for the size. It does not have an EQ, but there are preprogrammed EQ settings that cover just about everything. I thought running a DVD on the X-Box, through the Sony would degrade the picture but it doesn't at all. And now, for a budget price, I have surround sound of sorts, which really does improve film watching enjoyment. X-Box games are also enhanced with the improved sound. Another added benefit, the cables for the game console connects in the front. This is a great piece to add to my 'home entertainment' center at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid all-around performer, April 26, 2002
Sir Bowen (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This is a nice unit for those who want a great basic stereo system. The sound is clean, and can nicely fill up a room. The tuner and cassette decks are good quality, and the controls are well-placed and easy-to-use.
The 60-CD changer uses a slick carousel mechanism that provides easy, front-door access to the disks. I was initially worried about how to keep track of that many CDs, until I found out that you can plug in a standard PC keyboard to the front panel and use it to enter labels for each disk that then show up on the display.
BTW, this unit has a game-sync feature for use with video games. If you want home-theater features, look for the similar "AV" model that has the surround speakers, extra wattage, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sound, CDs, GameSync, May 5, 2002
By A Customer
I got this system around Christmas and had been wondering how it would hold up, and how I would naviagte the 60CDs. I don't use the keyboard input because I found it a little too clumsy. Instead, I just made a list on my computer of each disc and its number, so now if I want a certan disc I can just scroll to it. I have also found it useful to leave 2 slots open because I have more than 60 CDs. The sounds on this system is AMAZING for the price. At 30 (the highest level) the room is shaking, and there is very little distortion. When I first recieved this, I thought that the GameSync would be useless since I do not like videogames at all. I found an incredible use though. I got a cord...that takes the audio output from my computer and spilts it so it can be plugged into the audio GameSync ports. Now I can play aduio off my computer, and it sounds great. The best use of this feature is definately DVDs, though. With a large monitor, and setting the stereo to the Dolby setting, you get an incredible picture and incredible sound. I highly recommend doing this if your stereo is in the same room as your computer. The only downside to this stereo is that it sounds a little "tinny." I just bought a budget subwoffer for ~$[money], and the system sounded much better, especially with action movies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, with some setbacks, July 4, 2002
ATN "atn_machine" (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Back in September 2001, I bought this stereo in Canada. I decided it was time to replace my old single-disc machine, and I wanted to find a way to not sratch up my discs. I now never have to take a CD out of my system. The MHC MG110 was a good buy for me.
It has a superb 60-CD changer and good radio. I haven't tried the tape decks yet (but with 60 CDs at my fingertips I won't need any tapes). This system features an audio in and GameSync, which is another audio in designed for the PlayStation. (I've used the audio in to hook it up to my computer.) It has optical out, so you could connect it to a receiver and just use the changer when you upgrade. I would suggest trying to find the MHC-MG310 if you want surround sound. Other than that, this one is pretty good, although the main unit is massive. It is very big, especially in depth. You should mesure before you buy.
I like the sound out of it, it goes quite deep, but still has great treble. I don't like my music loud, but this system has the power to make it enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars MHC-MG110, June 27, 2002
I just purchased this stereo for just under [price]. It has nearly everything you could want from a 2 speaker stereo. Without a sub, the bass is still quite decent. The only thing that it really should have that it doesn't is support for MP3 cd's, but for the price, I can't complain too much...

4.0 out of 5 stars Manual Needed, January 6, 2003
I bought mine refurbed and love it, but it didn't come with a manual. I want to learn how to use all the functions like cd text and keyboard entry.

Anyone know where i can get one or can anyone send me one?

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony MHC GS100 carousel CD minisystem, December 2, 2002
This looks to be a scaled down version of the Sony MHC-MG110, which I have. It has most of the features of the MHC-MG110, but not all. For instance, the 75 watts/channel has been scaled back to 50 watts/channel. I believe the speakers are not as large. Also, the MHC-MG110 has two cassette wells, on the front, one of them autoreverse. This model has no autoreverse and the well is on the top. Otherwise, the systems are similar. To me, it looks like a lot for the money in particular if you don't need to play at high volumes and you would like a carousel player. It supports CD-Text, which is very handy. To my knowledge, new disks that support CD-Text are still rare, so to take advantage of the feature you need to burn copies of your music CDs complete with CD-Text, which I always do anyway (I have a 301 disk CD carousel that supports CD-Text, too). I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my MHC-MG110 when the inevitable breakdown occurs. This can be gotten pretty cheaply at Amazon.com right now (12/02/02) - [money]. My MHC-MG110 works OK, but Sony really was out to lunch when they designed a lot of the features. The sound of my MHC-MG110 is very good, but I use it with real bookshelf speakers, not the ones it came with. Even with the stock features this shouldn't sound too bad, I figure (haven't heard it).

4.0 out of 5 stars Speakers, January 14, 2003
By A Customer
Does anyone know for certain if this system can be linked with extra speakers? My old system went caput, so now, this one being so wonderful, I would like this system... but need to know if it's compatible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back view of this MHC-GS100 Sony Mini System, May 5, 2003
Can anyone photo the back of this unit I need to know where to connect speakers. there are such contacts -- F-L,F-R,CEN,,R-L,R,R,S/W. but what they mean I dont know. Please if you know write which speakers should I connect there?
Thanks !

4.0 out of 5 stars Back view of this MHC-GS100 Sony Mini System, May 5, 2003
Can anyone photo the back of this unit I need to know where to connect speakers. there are such contacts -- F-L,F-R,CEN,,R-L,R-R,S/W. but what they mean I dont know. Please if you know write which speakers should I connect there?
Thanks !