5.0 out of 5 stars No more cables!
Published on August 24, 2011 by Bonnie Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Reader Only, no writing capabilities
Published on April 9, 2012 by TeamReveal

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Reader Only, no writing capabilities, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Sony Media Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo and SDHC/SDXC USB Reader/Writer (MRWF3) (Personal Computers)
I've been using this reader/writer for a few months now and I've been using it exclusively as a reader up until today when I needed to write some files to do a firmware update. Well much to my frustration and disappointment, I discovered that this only works as a reader on my computer. Anytime I tried to write something to the card I would get a message saying that the drive was read only.

I tried two different SD cards, 3 different computers(1 Vista, 2 XP), and a registry hack to force the drive to write. None of this worked for me (I also have USB flash drives and hard drives and I can read and write to those just fine). Finally, I realized that all I needed to do to write files to the card was to load the SD card to my camera and to use a USB cable to connect it to my computer, this allowed me to write to the card. It did take me a while to figure out that it was the reader and not something else. For the record, yes I checked the manual "lock" button on the card and the card was not set to read only.

This is still useful to me as a reader so it still gets 3 stars because it works fine for that and I seldom need to write to files to a card but its still a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more cables!, August 24, 2011
I REALLY hated having to hook up my Sony CyberShot HX-1 to my MacBook by cable every time I wanted to transfer pics to my computer. The Sony USB Reader/Writer was just what I was looking for, but none of the stores that I checked carried it, and no one I asked had even heard of it. I take a lot of pictures, and this makes it so much easier to upload them - such a cool little device! I'm going to order a spare in case the first ever gets misplaced - I wouldn't want to be without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Perfectly, July 6, 2011
The product worked exactly as expected, and its compact size really makes it easy to add to your computer bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, except it does not work on iPad, September 10, 2012
This works like a charm on the PC, however it doesn't work with the iPad. When connected (using the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (MC531ZM/A), an error message about not enough power is displayed. I still rate it as a five stars as the defficiency is due to Apple restrictions, not Sony's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Device!, August 26, 2012
Joel Glastetter "sillycar" (Rock City Falls, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This reader is great. I have a SimpleTech Bonzai SD card reader that I've had for a while and it won't read the newer SD cards that have recently come out so I needed something new. Some have said that this drive doesn't read or write with certain machines or operating systems, so I was a bit concerned, but I bought it anyway and I have used it with several different macintosh computers running multiple operating systems and it reads and writes terrifically with all of them. These are some of the machines I've tested (eMac 1ghz running osX 10.4, 2-Power Mac G5's both running osX 10.5, MacBook Pro 13inch (2010) running osx 10.6 and a Mac Mini running osx 10.7). I have only tested it with SD cards, so I can't speak to how well it works with the other types of cards it handles, but I would be surprised if it didn't work with them too. My only gripe about the product is that the cards hang out the end of the reader about a half an inch when they are in there and it would be cool if they fit all the way inside the device so that you could transport them in the reader without fear of damaging them. I only feel this way because my older reader (Simpletech Bonzai) holds the entire SD card inside and it makes it real easy to transport the device with a card inside with confidence. So with this new one, I carry my card in a separate case. Also, it isn't the most solid feeling device, but for the price, it's great, just don't sit on it or anything crazy like that... That's it. I love this device and you shouldn't hesitate to purchase one if you need one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Macbook Lion, February 26, 2012
Survi (Chicago, Il) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for an older camera that uses Sony memory stick pro Duo and wanted to have compatibility with my Macbook. It's running Lion 10.7.3 Absolutely no issues and I didn't need to download any software. The few photos I moved transferred quickly to iPhoto.

Only surprise was that this was a little wider than I thought. It's about twice as wide as a USB flash drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars sony media memory stick pro hg duo and usb reader writer, December 9, 2011
Laurie Baxter (LINCOLN, NE United States) - See all my reviews
my daughter always break things, she has a sony camera, the usb plug that goes into the camera and into the computer to transfer pictures to the computer, somehow she broke the part that connects to the camera, so basically the camera is useless if she wants to share her photos so i found this handy sony media memory stick pro-hg duo and sdhc/sdxc usb reader/writer(mrwf3) works the same way now she can transfer her pictures to her computer. thanks sony

5.0 out of 5 stars USB Reader/Writer, March 24, 2013
This is an excellent product hat is small enough for any gadget bag and helps to backup a card on a lap top computer - a must product for a person who needs ot back up their information

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for a short time and then stopped, March 2, 2013
Ron (Torrance, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I was using this with a Sandisk 64GB SDXC card. Was able to transfer pictures from the card reader to my PC with no problems for about 2 months. After that, the drives would show up in the PC, but the card reader would no longer recognize the media. Now it's just junk that can't do anything. It's not my Sandisk media, as I can transfer pictures just fine from the camera itself. Just a warning for those about to purchase this. I'm past Amazon's return period, so I have to look for something else now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, February 8, 2013
I am able to get all of the pictures off of the camera very easily now. Works perfectly for out needs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›