Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony Media Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo and SDHC/SDXC USB Reader/Writer (MRWF3)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 9, 2012
I've been using this reader/writer for a few months now and I've been using it exclusively as a reader up until today when I needed to write some files to do a firmware update. Well much to my frustration and disappointment, I discovered that this only works as a reader on my computer. Anytime I tried to write something to the card I would get a message saying that the drive was read only.

I tried two different SD cards, 3 different computers(1 Vista, 2 XP), and a registry hack to force the drive to write. None of this worked for me (I also have USB flash drives and hard drives and I can read and write to those just fine). Finally, I realized that all I needed to do to write files to the card was to load the SD card to my camera and to use a USB cable to connect it to my computer, this allowed me to write to the card. It did take me a while to figure out that it was the reader and not something else. For the record, yes I checked the manual "lock" button on the card and the card was not set to read only.

This is still useful to me as a reader so it still gets 3 stars because it works fine for that and I seldom need to write to files to a card but its still a disappointment.
on August 26, 2012
This reader is great. I have a SimpleTech Bonzai SD card reader that I've had for a while and it won't read the newer SD cards that have recently come out so I needed something new. Some have said that this drive doesn't read or write with certain machines or operating systems, so I was a bit concerned, but I bought it anyway and I have used it with several different macintosh computers running multiple operating systems and it reads and writes terrifically with all of them. These are some of the machines I've tested (eMac 1ghz running osX 10.4, 2-Power Mac G5's both running osX 10.5, MacBook Pro 13inch (2010) running osx 10.6 and a Mac Mini running osx 10.7). I have only tested it with SD cards, so I can't speak to how well it works with the other types of cards it handles, but I would be surprised if it didn't work with them too. My only gripe about the product is that the cards hang out the end of the reader about a half an inch when they are in there and it would be cool if they fit all the way inside the device so that you could transport them in the reader without fear of damaging them. I only feel this way because my older reader (Simpletech Bonzai) holds the entire SD card inside and it makes it real easy to transport the device with a card inside with confidence. So with this new one, I carry my card in a separate case. Also, it isn't the most solid feeling device, but for the price, it's great, just don't sit on it or anything crazy like that... That's it. I love this device and you shouldn't hesitate to purchase one if you need one.
on February 26, 2012
I purchased this for an older camera that uses Sony memory stick pro Duo and wanted to have compatibility with my Macbook. It's running Lion 10.7.3 Absolutely no issues and I didn't need to download any software. The few photos I moved transferred quickly to iPhoto.

Only surprise was that this was a little wider than I thought. It's about twice as wide as a USB flash drive.
on March 2, 2013
I was using this with a Sandisk 64GB SDXC card. Was able to transfer pictures from the card reader to my PC with no problems for about 2 months. After that, the drives would show up in the PC, but the card reader would no longer recognize the media. Now it's just junk that can't do anything. It's not my Sandisk media, as I can transfer pictures just fine from the camera itself. Just a warning for those about to purchase this. I'm past Amazon's return period, so I have to look for something else now.
on October 27, 2012
This reader is easily as fast as using the cable that passes info from the camera to the computer. However, it does not have the difficulties that the plug on the cable has when it is plugged into the slot incorrectly. However, you could put the memory card into this reader incorrectly and perhaps damage it and thus loose your images and a more expensive piece of equipment if you use large GB cards. So far, it works well. You can match the contacts, gold side to gold side to place the card into the reader correctly. It is lightweight and smaller than the coiled up cord. It will not allow you to show photos on a TV unless your TV has a USB port. Both ends have covers, this keeps the device clean and safe. I would like it better if the USB male plug had a click to let you know its cover has snapped into place rather than just a friction placement.
on April 1, 2012
The Sony MS and SD reader/writer is an excellent product, both functionally and quality wise. I've had problems in reading my MS or SD cards several times due to the poor performance and fragile built of the more common interface devices. They get damaged easily and electrical contacts constantly fail. The Sony is very well designed and always works perfectly, it can even be used as a pen drive with interchangeable memory ( card ) due to its small size!
on December 9, 2011
my daughter always break things, she has a sony camera, the usb plug that goes into the camera and into the computer to transfer pictures to the computer, somehow she broke the part that connects to the camera, so basically the camera is useless if she wants to share her photos so i found this handy sony media memory stick pro-hg duo and sdhc/sdxc usb reader/writer(mrwf3) works the same way now she can transfer her pictures to her computer. thanks sony
on April 7, 2012
I bought this a couple of months ago at a local store (I verified the model # to make sure it's the exact same as this one). It worked fine for a while, then I started having trouble getting it to download the full images. It would appear to have downloaded the images, but after I disconnected this device only the thumbnails would show. When I tried to "open" the image my computer claimed it could not find the image. I ended up hooking my cameras up to my computer to get the images to download. After the first instance I tried it again and it worked fine a few more times. But now I am having the problem again. The images still transfer via my USB cable, so I'm confident that it is not a problem with my computer or my card(s). It's been very frustrating so maybe this review will save someone else the trouble.
on July 6, 2011
The product worked exactly as expected, and its compact size really makes it easy to add to your computer bag.
on September 10, 2012
This works like a charm on the PC, however it doesn't work with the iPad. When connected (using the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (MC531ZM/A), an error message about not enough power is displayed. I still rate it as a five stars as the defficiency is due to Apple restrictions, not Sony's.

See 1 answered question