Published 20 months ago by SlowCooker Uncle Ben

Published 21 months ago by Rick Bennette

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure that it's best on the planet ... but it is very very good!, December 1, 2012
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 (DVD-ROM)
I've been using video editing software, not professionally, but for home use (grand kids, weddings...); and this is, by far, the best I've ever seen. The learning curve might be a little steeper than other software applications I've used in the past; but it is time well spent. In the two months or so that I've had this, I've produced 5 or 6 videos, made up primarily of slideshows, video clips, music, text overlays, video overlays and voice ... all in HD for burning on blu-ray. I haven't had a crash once. Other software I've used before would take hours and hours to render a video, more hours and hours to burn it ... only to see the whole project crash just a few minutes prior to completion. Does this sound familiar? Well, I have yet to see any of these problems with Sony Movie Studio. DVD Architect Studio that comes with the suite has to be one of the easiest application I've ever seen when it comes to building menus/chapters for your Video production. Again, nothing is evident at first, and the learning curve is a little steep; but once you're past the initial two or three days, this software is a real gem! I've also used SoundForge Audio Studio to extract the audio from video, and use bits and pieces of the audio in other productions with hilarious results! This is my first experience with a software like SoundForge; so no doubt that there are other products out there that can do the same. All I can say is that these three applications included in the suite work hand-in-hand without any hiccups.

3.0 out of 5 stars SONY VEGAS Movie Studio Version 12 Doesn't quite make the cut., October 10, 2012
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 (DVD-ROM)
I've been using Sony Vegas Movie Studio since version 9, and I have always been happy with it. In fact, I've been a huge proponent of Sony Vegas Movie Studio over all other editing software for it's innovative and time saving design. I have switched many editors from using Final Cut Pro to using Vegas Movie Studio because it was so much faster, yielded a better final rendering, and ran on a machine half the cost of a Mac.

Version 11 works flawlessly on all of my machines without crashing. I recently replaced my 5 year old dual core PC with a quad core i7 64 bit DELL Movie Studio series PC. Version 11 worked OK on the dual core with some stuttering in preview mode, but no other issues. Ver 11 works flawlessly on the new Dell, but it's only 32 bit software running on a 64 bit system. Version 12 is a 64 bit version of Vegas Movie Studio that should, in theory, work even faster than V.11. In version 12, when I hit the full screen preview mode, it completely crashes the computer to the blue screen of death. If you accidentally hit the full screen button instead of project setting button (located right next to it) it will go into an unrecoverable crash, it will reboot the machine, and you will lose your unsaved edits. It does the same thing on both of my new Dell machines (both the same i7 64 bit Dell Studio), so it isn't my equipment that is at fault. Version 11 still works fine on all of my machines, the old as well as the new Dells.

Stabilizing video clips used to be a one click affair in version 11. Not so in in version 12. Stabilizing is now a time wasting seven clicks per segment, and you can not run them in batch mode. In addition, the stabilizing effect is not as smooth or as good in version 12. It also takes much longer to apply to each clip. This is not progress in my book.

Please keep in mind that if you don't need to use the full screen preview mode, then version 12 is solid and does not crash. If you don't need to stabilize your videos, then that feature won't matter either. For rendering a finished product, version 12 is about 50 percent faster than version 11. That is the only advantage I see in v12 over v11. There does not seem to be any other noticeable improvements in using Movie Studio v.11 vs. v.12, so if 11 works, I see no need to pay for an "upgrade" to v.12. It seems v.12 only serves to keep Sony in a continuing cash flow.

It should be noted that I have also tried v.12 Pro version, and it has the same problems as the Platinum version. So much for going Pro.

Sony has failed to respond to any issues regarding these Vegas Movie Studio bugs. Sony just does not care once they have your money. I have removed version 12 and have gone back to using version 11, even though it's only 32 bits. Perhaps the new patch (since my original review) in version 12 may solve some of these issues, but I have no need to try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Royalty-free soundtracks are an underrated feature, November 17, 2012
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 (DVD-ROM)
This product shines in a lot of ways as described the other comments. I just want to point out that the included royalty-free soundtracks are an underrated feature since you cannot upload a video to YouTube or Facebook that includes music from your favorite CD or MP3 download. Music can make the difference when the video you shot doesn't include any interesting dialogue or is saturated with annoying background noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Consumer level video editing software on this planet, August 20, 2012
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 (DVD-ROM)
Movie Studio 12 is the best consumer level video editing software ever. Value for money and functionality is unbeatable. The most appreciated and anticipated feature of Movie Studio 12 is 64 bit support. Red Giant Magic bullet quick looks plugin offers ready made 100 plus templates of different video effects to choose from (This is probably my favorite feature of version 12). With Movie Studio 12 you can go as far as your imagination goes and do wonders with your video footage. Buy the suit version instead of buying just Movie Studio version as the extras you get with suit are well worth the price. Sound forge audio studio is excellent audio editing software you only get with suit version. New blue Fx video effects and magic bullet quick looks plug-in are only part of the suit version. I have already made some beautiful movies on our recent vacation trips. Thanks to the Movie Studio 12, I am the Director of my home movies...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing quality, January 6, 2013
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 (DVD-ROM)
This is the third video software suite I have used and by far the best. It is faster and produces higher-quality output. Most important of all, it is completely stable and reliable. My first project was essentially jumping into the deep end of the pool: a nearly 2-hour 1080p blu-ray. Everything went smoothly and amazingly quickly, given that I was learning to use the software in the process. I have since completed other projects, all without a hitch.

The software is so inexpensive that the casual user could easily justify the cost. It is so powerful that professional results are possible. I would recommend it as the first choice for nearly anyone who does video editing. Only someone making money from their work would need to put out the cash for Vegas Pro.

Hint: Be sure to buy the suite in order to get the complete package, including the separate program required to put your work onto disc.

Hint 2: Download the manual for Vegas Pro 12 from Sony. It is nearly 600 pages of detailed info, most of which applies to Movie Studio.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Liking this software more and more., November 1, 2012
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 (DVD-ROM)
After installing and test driving the free trial, I liked it so much I purchased the suite. To be safe I uninstalled the trial then installed the paid version. Upon the very first launch of the program I was greeted with an error message, "Movie Studio Platinum has stopped working" with the option to "Send" or "Do Not Send" details about the problem to Sony Creative Software for troubleshooting. Clicking either option closes that error message window and then the application shuts down. If I ignore the message window (leaving it active in the background) the application will launch after about 2 minutes and will work, as long as I leave the message window active in the background. If I dimiss or respond to the message window, the application shuts down.

I don't have a lot of hope that Sony can fix it. The error code (Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)) is not so uncommon in software and somewhat generic.

At the same time, it may be an exception and this software may work fine for others. After all, the free trial worked without a hitch.

I'm afraid that I'll soon have to look for another software package. CyberLink's, Adobe's or, ....

-------------------------------------
UPDATE !!!!!!
Nov. 3, 2012. Redemption !
Sony has made everything right by me. I feel my issue was more the exception than the rule. After a couple of days of their technical support suggesting a multitude of complicated steps, uninstallations, installations, patches, registry edits... and more; the software is working exactly as I'd hoped. I'm a beginner with video editing but, after trialing PowerDirector 11 and Premier Elements 11, I found Movie Studio PS12 more intuitive and featured than the other two, partucularly Elements. I did not much care for Elements Catalog feature (bloatware)or its' UI. So happy to have my Sony software up and running now. Can hardly wait to learn it in depth.

now ***** Five stars for Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12

1.0 out of 5 stars Well if you plan on editing serious HD video..., July 17, 2013
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 (DVD-ROM)
Well if you plan on editing serious HD video...

You may want to seek a different product because depending on the number of clips you load the 64 bit version has memory address issues that prevent it from functioning in a reliable manner. I have a video I keep trying to edit and every time I open the video in Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 the program crashes. I have downloaded the latest update but that still did not fix the problem. And I keep forwarding the error reports to Sony and have to receive a response after sending in at least 20 error reports. So, I would suggest if you editing a project over 20 minutes in length that you seek an alternative product because the memory addressing in the 64 bit version of this product can't handle 16 GB of memory and 2 GB of video memory on my NVIDIA card. And the support from Sony thus far has been less than optimal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely full-featured, now 64-bit, December 22, 2012
Alastair Dallas (Los Gatos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 (DVD-ROM)
I suspect that the negative reviews are either competitors or people using under-powered or odd hardware. I've used Movie Studio 9, 10, 11, and now 12, so I guess I've spent $200+, but it is full-featured software, comparable (and superior to) Adobe Premiere 5, 5.5, and 6 that I spent a lot more buying years ago. I have also owned Pinnacle, which is fine, but toy-like. (The current versions are probably much improved, but I have no reason to leave Sony.)

12 adds a couple of tiny timeline editing tweaks that gave me an immediate speed boost. I like the new timeline selection highlighting, and the natural way the insertion point moves with 'F'. Editing means a lot of repetitive motion--these small improvements are huge. Also, the preview window now makes full use of the screen real estate.

I'm running a 4-core Win7 machine that 12 finally takes full advantage of. No crashes...certainly no blue screens.

The NewBlue titler is a tad annoying. It's a video event filter, not a generated media, and it does animation completely different from any other part of Movie Studio. It looks jaggy in preview, so I was ready to ditch it. But, wow, does it render beautifully.

Sony tech support is truly miserable, but I haven't needed it. I would recommend this software to any one--novice or pro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 Suite, August 6, 2013
Ok here it is.
Sony platinum 12 HD Suite is the ultimate BOMB in editing software. No, I don't work for Sony, ( wish I did) but I am an old skool editor dating back to the Video Toaster 2.0 days. (Y'all know what that is??????)
I've sampled/trialed most of the new HD editors out there and my conclusion is that Sony is by far the best prosumer software.
Reason being:
1.Ease of work flow. 2.Ya git a bunch o tools with the Platinum 12 Suite pack.(sweet!!) 3.The color correction apps. 4.Super frame accurate editing. And 5 (Here's the best) Once you've mastered Movie Studio, then it's a straight shot to Vegas 12 Pro. (Which comes with the fantastic video scopes.) (Low koin kept me from buying Vegas 12 Pro at first ,but that will happen soon).
There are tons of stuff you can get that will work with Sony MS and a lot online for free.

My main money making editor was AVID Liquid 7.2. but AVID killed it when HD became popular and with the intro of Windows 7. Sony MS Ultimate & Vegas workflow reminds me of my old Avid LQ 7 days with the uncluttered UI and ease of use. I am not knocking other software, but some seem to be programed for tinnie boppers. When a client looks over my shoulder while editing his/her masterpiece, I don't want him to see an interface what looks like it was designed for 7th & 8th graders. No useless bells,whistles & boaring fluff. Just straight ahead editing tools. This is what I absolutely LOVE about Sony Movie Studio Ultimate 12 Suite.

I suggest GET THE PLATINUM 12 SUITE.... Sorry for shouting ,but GET THE SONY MOVIE STUDIO PLATINUM 12 SUITE !!!
Go to Amazon. They gots the bestest price you'll find. I've been on my Sony since day one. At times,I will edit 8,10, 12 hrs (taking my required breaks of course.) No hick ups and no crashes. Once ya log in to Sony then you'll get all the updates.
Also, MAKE SURE Y'ALL GOTS A KICK AZZ SYSTEM. (opps shoutin again.) I'm running Win 7 OS-AMD 4130 Quad core 3.8 ghz A3+ processor with 8 gigs memory. Nvida GeForce GT 620 graph card w/2gigs. And a 550W pwr supply. I edit on my bouncing sailing yacht with narry a prob.(Pirate talk...Arrr,Arrr)

Ok,I,m done. And PS: As a side note. I purposely used misspelled words and phrases just to add a tad of street cred and "REAL" to this review. Happy Sony Movie Studio Ultimate 12 movie making......
Randell Briggs

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, June 15, 2013
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 (DVD-ROM)
I purchased this package a few months ago, with the aim of editing my camcorder videos, and also digitising cassette recordings of our church services. So far, it is useless.

Firstly, I have not had any need to use the dvd program, so I have nothing to say about that.

I sat down last week, all ready to start work on my first video masterpiece. At least I was, until I found out that the program will not open the AVI files produced by my camcorder. Every other program I have will read them with no problems - Windows Media Player, Windows Movie Maker, Irfanview... Not this program. I contacted tech support to be told that my files must have a "non-standard or unlicenced video codec". So how come everyone else can handle them??? Maybe I am ignorant, but I thought that AVI was a windows standard. They tell me that it is all dependent on the codec, blah, blah, blah... Seems to me that their advertising should say that the program can edit *some* AVI files. Their suggestion is that I purchase some other software to convert my files into a format that this program can handle. There are about a thousand programs advertised on Google which can do this - complete with a watermark in the middle of the screen unless you register for around $50.

Sound Forge. Now, I have thought of this as one of the top audio-editors out there for a long time. Hmm...
As I stated above, I am trying to import audio recordings of our church services. A simple job, I would have thought. The audio level coming from the cassette overpowers the program. I am taking it directly from the line-level output of the cassette player, so there is no control available there. It seems that Sound Forge has absolutely no capability of controlling its input volume levels. None. Tech support has told me to use the Windows mixer to control the level. In order to *Not* overpower the recording, I have to have the Windows mixer slider set to just a hair above 0%. It is so close that it is very difficult to physically set it without turning the volume off altogether. I cannot believe that a program such as this has no control over its own input level, it just boggles the mind! Tech support have been their usual helpful selves - use another program to control the volume level prior to feeding it into Sound Forge. They even suggest using a full-fledged DAW (digital audio workstation). If I am going to use a DAW, then why do I need their program??? They even suggested I contact the 'recording engineers' about "their problem". This is coming from a simple church audio system. It has not seen an engineer since it left the factory!

Every issue I have raised with them comes down to "buy another program to process the data so we can use it". I drive a school bus, and I am not made of money. Their software was supposed to handle this. Nothing I am doing is in any way 'clever' or 'special'. Simple home movies and straight-forward audio input. To say I am disgusted would be an understatement.

I sent a message to their customer support department, pointing out how I felt. I received an almost word-for-word copy of the responses I was given by tech support. It looks like they are taking their responses straight out of a book. Oh, and of course the obligatory links to articles in their knowledgebase which do not usually even fit the issue at hand.

I do not review every product I buy, and I don't like giving negative reviews of something which maybe just doesn't suit me or my style of working. My experiences with this package - and their support - have been so pathetic that I feel I have to warn people. There are many good reviews here - I based my own purchase on them - but be warned that your mileage may vary. If your camcorder doesn't produce a flavour of AVI that this program likes, you too will be dead in the water.

Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12
Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 by Sony Creative Software (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista)
$129.95 $39.99