5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a long time NEX user
Published 10 months ago by Josha D. Schwarzenbach

Published 6 months ago by Ed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a long time NEX user, September 13, 2013
This review is from: Sony NEX-5T Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera - Body Only (Electronics)
I have been shooting with the NEX system for a couple years now, starting with a NEX 5n. I am thankful I found this system because NEX is the reason I am so into photography today. Since the release of the original NEX 3 and NEX 5, Sony has done an excellent job at building a strong ecosystem with high and low end models for every type of shooter and every budget. The NEX 5 series is famous for being the best compromise in price and performance of all the other NEX cameras.

Standard for the NEX 5 series the 5t has the following advantages vs. other cameras in its class:
-Small size, yet powerful "big camera" performance.
-Some of the best low light capabilities thanks to the Exmor sensor and 16 megapixels
-High speed 10 FPS shooting for action/kids
-Wifi and apps
-Very fast auto-focus
-Excellent video performance
-A great lens lineup that keeps getting better each year

This model, the NEX 5t, is another incremental upgrade for the NEX 5 series. It brings some cool and innovative features to the table. This year's model take all the great features from last year's 5r and adds NFC and changes the kit lens to the 16-50 power zoom, making this system even more compact. The NFC is really cool because for those with android phones equipped with NFC, it means quicker pairing between the two devices. The only real drawback is for those NFC equipped laptops, windows doesn't support large file transfer. The new kit lens is a welcome edition.
Now the NEX isn't a perfect system, but Sony has worked hard to introduce new features with every new release. The only problem with this is Sony decided it would be a good idea to release these features in incremental upgrades every year, rather than release big upgrades over a longer period of time. Those looking to upgrade from a NEX 5r will find themselves with mostly the same camera. Going from a NEX 5n, this may be a worth upgrade however. I really think the 5r and the 5t could have been the same camera.

Sony's aggressive release cycles don't affect the performance of this camera, which is nothing short of amazing. Sony put a DSLR sized sensor in this tiny body, making for a potent but tiny camera. It has 10 FPS, faster than most canons/Nikons. It has quick autofocus. It has extremely good dynamic range (most people call this better picture quality). Sony's sensor has some of the best low light noise performance of any camera in its class, largely due to its 16 mega pixel count. One mostly unknown fact is that lower megapixels tend to have better low light performance, and high 24+ mega pixel sensors are historically nosier due to pixel density. I applaud Sony for keeping it at 16, and do not wish for the NEX line to move to 24 any time soon (excluding NEX 7).
The NEX also has a very small distance between the lens mount and the sensor. This is a huge advantage because it allows for a wide range of adaptors to be made for the system. The Sony A mount adaptor offers all functionality of the alpha lenses on the small NEX. After market dealers have even created canon/Nikon mounts for the NEX, allowing the use of those lenses, minus the electronic functions (like autofocus). This is important because older lenses can be found for cheap on the used market, and gives the NEX one of the largest list of lenses to date.

But no, even the NEX 5t isn't perfect. There are some small, but noticeable flaws with this system.

-Small buffer, it can take 10 photos each second, but it can only do this for about 2 seconds before it slows down to fill the memory card. This is historically a problem with all Sony cameras, or any camera of this class.
-Occasionally inaccurate auto focus. The AF system isn't quite up there with DSLR's, but its getting closer and closer each year.
-Average battery life. I recommend a spare battery for long days.

These shortcomings are all pretty minor and expected in a camera of this class, so I do not hold them against it. All 3 of these problems are due to its small size, which alone makes up for it.
If you're coming from a smart phone, or a standard point and shoot, this camera will be a HUGE upgrade. Size alone makes this a worthy choice over larger DSLR's. The 5 in particular is the best price/performance compromise in the NEX line. For those a little strapped for cash, but still want similar performance look at the NEX 3n, mostly the same camera just much slow, plastic build, and weaker video performance compared to the 5t. If you want a little bit of an upgrade, look at the NEX 6, offering a viewfinder and a hot shoe.

Feel free to ask me anything regarding this camera or any other NEX camera in the comment section, and I will try to respond quickly. I hope my review helped with your buying decision.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great photos and video if you're willing to overlook some annoyances, December 27, 2013
Ed (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The NEX-5T is Sony's midrange-ish mirrorless camera. It's not as compact as the NEX-3, but is still much more pocketable than a lot of interchangeable lens cameras. I've had the older NEX-5N for a couple of years and never really took to it, even though it produced great photos and videos. It was just too much of a chore to use most of the time, so I ended up taking photos with my smartphone camera or my dSLR. I had high hopes for the new NEX-5T, especially with its Wi-Fi support, but alas, the 5T is probably destined to sit in a bag most of the time too.

PROS
- Excellent photo quality
- Great video quality
- Very compact for an ILC
- Articulating LCD
- USB charging capability
- Reasonably fast autofocus

CONS
- Not enough physical controls
- Proprietary "accessory port"
- No built-in flash
- No external battery charger
- Wi-Fi feature is just so-so

DESIGN
I really like the design of the NEX-5 series. It's smaller than most mirrorless cameras, has a good grip and is pretty easy to carry around. The new 16-50mm power zoom kit lens is much smaller than the old 18-55mm lens, making the whole kit just that much easier to carry around. The power zoom lens takes a little getting used to and I'm not a huge fan of the power zoom, but it's fine.

The LCD is nice and bright and articulates. In addition to being able to shoot above your head or below your knees with the aid of the LCD, you can now also shoot selfies with ease. The external flash does get it in the way, however.

There are more physical controls on the NEX-5T than was on the NEX-5N, but it still lacks a PASM dial for whatever reason. Sony included a new control dial for aperture value and shutter speed, but I personally would've preferred a shooting mode dial, like on the NEX-6.

The NEX-5 series is the only NEX camera that still uses the old proprietary "accessory port." If you don't use a flash and don't want an EVF, then this might not be a big deal for you. I personally avoid flash photography whenever possible, but it's not completely avoidable. I actually have the larger flash unit (HVLF20S) from when I used my 5N, but it is a pain to put on and take off. Leaving it on all full time takes away the compactness of the NEX-5, which is one of the primary benefits of having the NEX-5 in the first place.

One neat thing about the NEX-5T is that it can be charged via USB. So you could essentially charge it with your computer or maybe even your smartphone charger (microUSB). The downside is that Sony no longer includes an external battery charger with the NEX-5, which is unfortunate.

PHOTO & VIDEO QUALITY
Photos and videos look very good with the NEX-5T. I've taken more photos with the 5N than the 5T, but I haven't had any complaints with either of them in regards to the quality of the shots. I've been happy with the detail and color in nearly every photo I've taken. I shoot mainly in RAW for the occasional exposure fixes, but I don't do too much in the way of post processing with Lightroom or Photoshop. Videos also look great most of the time and I mainly use it to record my kids at recitals, pageants, talent shows, etc. I normally use the 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 lens for those occasions.

WI-FI
I don't use NFC so its inclusion in the 5T isn't a big deal for me, though, I suppose it might be for some. I was, however, pretty excited about being able to use Wi-Fi to send photos to my phone or PC so I could share my shots on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. I previously used an Eye-Fi card in my 5N, so to have built-in Wi-Fi and be able to use a high performance SD card was enticing. Unfortunately, the iOS and Android apps aren't that great and its implementation isn't as intuitive to use as I would've hoped. Beyond that, most of the downloadable in-camera Sony apps cost money and you're required to use a Sony account to download them -- no thanks.

CONCLUSION
The Sony NEX-5T takes terrific pictures and video and at $600 for the lens kit, is a pretty darn good deal. However, if you can put up with a slightly larger size, the NEX-6 might be a better camera for only $150 more. For one, it comes with a built-in flash and a real hotshoe for accessories. It also includes an EVF, so when you're out in the sun and can't see your LCD at all, you can take the guess work out of it and get your shot. Did I mention that the NEX-6 also has a physical PASM dial? Yeah. I think Sony has one too many NEXs, and the 5T is the one that really doesn't seem to have a proper place in the lineup.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like the Sony NEX-3NL more, December 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a white NEX-3NL I purchased last summer that I'm happy with, so I was very excited to try the NEX-5TL, thinking it would be a substantial upgrade over the 3NL. Personally, I don't think it is.
Sony NEX-3NL/W Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera Kit (White)

Not to say this is a bad camera, especially if you want Wi-Fi and NFC, which the NEX-3NL does not have. I don't own anything that uses NFC - Near Field Communication - (such as a newer model Android phone or tablet)-- and while the Wi-Fi feature is OK, I can live without it. The Wi-Fi connects easily if you use the WPS button on your router, otherwise you will be entering the password on the screen manually. But the actual file transfer from camera to PC is slow, may be partially my network's fault, but I find myself just popping out the SD card and inserting it directly into my computer to get the photos off much quicker.

Comparing the NEX-3NL with the NEX-5TL, a few points I'd like to make about each camera:

LENS:
* The cameras come with the same kit lens, the SELP16-50 (16mm to 50mm).

FLASH:
* The separate flash with the NEX-5TL camera is a pain to attach and limits your use of the articulated screen. That is, if you're lucky enough to get it connected with that tiny screw which doesn't grab hold 1/2 the time, you can't move the screen much with the flash attached.
* The NEX-3NL has a built-in flash which can be held upwards to bounce the light. Although this flash also inhibits the use of the flip-up screen if trying to do a selfie with the flash. Still preferable to me because the flash is always there and ready, just push the flash button and it pops up. No need to attach the flash.

PRICE:
* The NEX-3NL is, as of my review date, $150 cheaper (but pricing can change from day-to-day on these cameras).

LCD SCREEN:
* The NEX-5TL has a touchscreen. I tried it for a couple days, and then disabled it in the Set-Up Menu. I hate greasy screens and it used substantially more battery power.
* The NEX-3NL does not have the touchscreen feature.
* The NEX-5TL has a better-looking screen over the NEX-3N, 921,000 vs. 461,000 pixels.

RANDOM NOTES:

If you are wondering what the difference in model number is:
* NEX-5T is the camera, body only.
* NEX-5TL is the camera with the kit lens included.

* The older NEX-5RL is the same as the 5TL, but doesn't have NFC. Not having NFC on the NEX-5RL is the only difference I can find, and the NEX-5RL comes with a choice of lenses, either the Sony NEX5RL/B 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens and 3-Inch LED (Black), or the Sony NEX-5RK/B 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lenses (Black)

* There are many Scene Settings, but no Pet Scene setting like my cheaper Sony Cyber-shot cameras have. Yes, I could probably tweak some manual settings with this camera for the same effect, but it's hit or miss when you have a fast-moving pet that won't hold still on command.

* Neither camera does well at very close-up macro shots with the kit lens. I guess you need to buy another lens for macro, or back-off the subject a bit to get "focus".

* This is a well-built line of cameras, no matter which NEX you choose. My NEX-3NL has been used constantly since I bought it last summer and I've had no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars **BUYERS BEWARE!** Awesome camera BUT ORDER FROM SONY instead!, May 5, 2014
Everything about this camera is amazing. Sharp quality, compact, good battery life and quick shutter speeds and it does what I need it to do and happy with the results. I am giving it a 5 star considering that this is a product review and I'm not going to knock off any stars because I had other issues.

***THE "OTHER" ISSUES***

As far as the seller that my camera was shipped from, which was Focus Camera, my product seemed to be in used condition, it did not come with the manufacturer's seal, product tags with info or stickers. For the most part, unless it is an open box item or display item, it will have all those things in the box. My shipment also did not come with a battery and the top right part of the LCD screen is warped like someone had pressed really hard on it and did not retain the shape. I kept this product and complained to Amazon Customer service and they had sent me a replacement product within 2 days. I received the second shipment and come to find out that it was the same exact issue, used condition with all the product labels, tags, etc. were missing and on the bottom of the camera there are scratches on the part where you would screw the camera onto a tripod. Same LCD issue with a bigger warped area more on the middle right hand corner where there is supposed to be an orange sticker if the product was brand new. I had even gone out of my way to go to a local Best Buy store and even their floor display had orange stickers all over it with the product tags. Their product was in perfect condition even though it was a display, no screen warping whatsoever so BUYERS BEWARE.

This is not acceptable if you are paying for a BRAND NEW ITEM. I've never had a problem with Amazon products so I'm used to ordering stuff on there so I didn't think to order it anywhere else and I've never had a used product sent to me. I am in the process of returning both cameras and ordering it directly from Sony which is what I should've done in the first place, but I hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, with a few quirks., December 31, 2013
C. Weaver (Franklin, TN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Sony NEX-5TL is a fantastic mirrorless digital camera that supports multiple lens. it has a large sensor that produces great photos in low light especially with the optical image stabilization. This large sensor also produced really nice quality HD movies. With built in WiFi and NFC sharing photos is also fairly quick and fairly easy although the WiFi capabilities with the companion PlayMemories Mobile application is pretty basic. The remote viewfinder is a great way to frame and take a shot on a remotely tripod mounted camera giving the shooter an easy way to be a part of the photos while still maintaining control beyond a simple timer.

I was especially impressed with the quick and accurate auto focus, even in low light. If you need more light the included detachable flash will light up your subject, although a bit too much if the subject is close. It would have been nice if the camera had a basic LED flash for adding just a little light to close subjects without the full size flash being attached.

The camera has a few neat apps you can download, although a couple are free such as a flickr add on and the smart remote. Sony has taken this too far by charging $5 and $10 a piece for capabilities like motion shot, time lapse, lens correction, multiple exposure and bracket control. This was a great idea to have apps you can install and add capability to the camera after it was shipped and keep the camera from getting too complex with apps you wouldn't use. I am not happy with the price which currently is over $50 to add all the available apps.

The camera is a bit confusing to use at first with a mixture of touch screen, dynamic physical buttons (screen shows function) and dials that are physical and screen based. After a bit of use I warmed up to the controls and have been able to take control pretty well. At times annoying but helpful are the on screen help pop ups that describe each function and setting. No need to run to the manual to look up what some setting means or how it works. Best of all the touch screen is very responsive and works as well as your tablet.

As with most mirrorless cameras there is no viewfinder included but the touch screen display is easy to see in all but the most glaring sunlight. It also tilts out and allows you to use the camera down low or overhead with the screen angled for easy viewing. I found this to allow me to take a lot more candid photos as the camera rested on my chest so I didn't cause the subject to strike a pose whenever I pulled the camera up to my face. The display also flips all the way around for perfectly posed "selfies" UNLESS you have the flash attached. Sure you don't want to use the flash for a close up selfie but you won't want to be taking the flash off and storing it every time you take one. And speaking of flash, this is a proprietary connector, not a standard DSLR type hot shoe.

The built in microUSB based charging is a really nice feature for on the go charging, No need to carry around a base plate and charging cord when you travel. However it also means no external charger to keep a second battery topped off as it takes about 2 hours to fully recharge. Fortunately you can buy a charger with extra batteries.

I have mixed emotions about the lens. It has both a dial and slider to control zoom, but both are motorized. The dial zoom ring is awkward as you don't have direct control of the zoom, you turn the dial which activates a motor, which adjusts the zoom. I feel a major disconnect of control with the function. Strangely enough next to the dial is a slider control to zoom in and out. This I liked for movies as it gave smooth control for the zoom and made a professional looking zoom with the ability to control the speed by how far you pushed the slider. I just wish this was a hybrid so the dial gave me direct control for quicker zooms when taking photos.

Overall this is a great camera and I highly recommend it as the photos are great and it is easy to use. The minor issues listed above would not keep me from choosing this camera again as the image quality and ease of use more than outweigh any opportunities for improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good camera, September 30, 2013
I have not used a DSLR before and was in the market to get a camera that is comparable to SLR. My wife wanted something that is not too big to carry around. My previous camera was a Canon S90, which is good, but I wanted something better than that. Picture quality in NEX 5T is very good, it is easy to handle like a point and shoot. I read some complaints about Sony's confusing menu, but I didn't have any problems with it. The Power zoom lens is good, it gives a point and shoot feeling (good thing). There is barrel distortion at the wide angle. Need a software to correct it. So far I have used only iAuto and iAuto+ settings and the images came out good. I might add a fixed length pancake lens later.

If you mount the flash, you may not be able to use the LCD to take self portraits. I didn't try the NFC transfer, probably won't be a big deal for me as I dont have an Android phone. I will post some pictures later (shot mostly with iAuto or iAuto+). I couldn't find the software for Mac in Sony's website. However, the PlayMemories app in my Windows pc works just fine. Also, I couldn't register as the product is not showing in Sony's support website menu yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars LCD Screen Tilts Up, Forward for Selfies AND Down for Overhead Shots, November 4, 2013
DC Jakel (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
No need to repeat what others have praised or faulted with Sony's NEX compact camera system.

Overall, I am very pleased with the features and performance of the 5T. My favorite feature with this compact camera is the ability to tilt the LCD screen down allowing the user to hold the camera overhead in order to shoot downward.

Highly recommended.

I purchased a Case Logic SLMC-200 Compact Systems Camera Case from Amazon. The case provides good protection and has room for the camera with power zoom lens attached, spare battery and a couple of lens filters.

EDIT November 26, 2013: Downgraded my overall rating from 5 stars to 4 stars. I continue to enjoy using the NEX, but the WiFi features, particularly the ability to transfer photos from the camera to an iPhone, is clunky and slow. What should be a simple process is confusing and slow. Sony, look at the app PhotoSync to see how easy photo transfers should be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent offering - but consider the NEX-6 instead, December 16, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very competent performer - quick startup, excellent low noise images, very intuitive to use, great build quality, and awesomely compact.

In fact, this camera would rate 5-stars from anyone who had not used the NEX-6.

Unfortunately, the features missing from the NEX-5 are precisely what made the NEX-6 such a joy to use:
1. The NEX-6 has a hugely useful mode selector (PASM) - rather than the soft-key based selector on the NEX-5.
2. The NEX-6 has a very usable control screw on the top - rather than that on the NEX-5.
3. The NEX-6 has a built in strobe - the NEX-5 has an ill-designed add-on that interferes with LCD motion.
4. The NEX-6 has an extra assignable hard button (AEL) - the NEX-5 does not.
5. The NEX-6 has an external strobe hotshoe - the NEX-5 does not.
6. The NEX-6 has an optical viewfinder - the NEX-5 does not.

Whether these options are worth the extra price premium is a personal decision, but I expect the answer to be yes - especially given that the target segment for these cameras includes photographers who desire DSLR style performance in a compact package.

Final notes:

The NEX-5 suffers from the same software quirks as the NEX-6. There still is a strobing issue on the LCD in AF-C mode; and it still lacks the Auto ISO mode with min/max limits (which is amazing on the A99.)

Finally, the two features unique to the NEX-5 are a touch screen LCD and Near Field Communications.

Of these, I found the touch screen particularly useful when using Tracking AutoFocus (a huge improvement over the NEX-6). On the other hand, NFC does not fit into my digital workflow - so I cannot speak to its utility or function.

Happy photography!
~A_E~

5.0 out of 5 stars A well crafted camera with interchangeable lens, December 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Sony Alpha NEX-5T is the updated version of previous NEX-5R. NEX-5T is the camera body and NEX-5TL is the body plus a 16-50mm lens kit. NEX-5T is virtually the same as the 5R with the addition of NFC radio.

Having owned the Cyber-shot RX100, I'm pleased to have the opportunity to try the NEX-5TL. Loosely speaking, RX-100 is a compact point-n-shoot camera while the NEX-5TL is a rangefinder camera. With NEX-5T, you have over a dozen E-mount lenses to choose from, as well as an optional viewfinder. With RX-100, everything is self-contained in the camera body. At the end of this review, I'll highlight some key areas that I observed between the two cameras. For Now, I will focus on the NEX-5TL.

The NEX-5TL is fairly compact and light. The body is mostly smooth, save the textured grip. The body is so small that any lens attached to it would dominate the whole camera. The on/off switch is a thumb flick switch surrounding the shutter release, as opposed to a button located elsewhere on most compact cameras. This is handy since you can quickly flick the switch and start pressing the shutter release like you would on most DLSR cameras.

The LCD screen is crisp, spec'ed at 921,600 pixels. It's vivid and bright (but still hard to see in direct sunlight). It is articulated and can be tilted up by 180 degrees for arm's length self-portraits (caveat: can't do this when the flash is attached - more of this later). The touch screen LCD is of capacitive touch, so you can install the official semi-hard screen protector over it without problems. By the way, the touch screen is a finger magic. It probably would require wiping often enough that a screen protector is recommended to avoid scratches.

There is no built-in flash. However, an external flash is supplied and can be attached to the camera via the Smart Accessory Terminal type 2 shoe on top of the camera. Attaching the flash with a lens already attached can be a challenge since the barrel of the lens is higher than the shoe, providing less clearance to engage a screw to secure it to the camera. Do expect instant attachment at the last minute when you need the flash. Once attached, the flash can be flipped down and remain low in order to maintain portability. When needed, the flash can then be flipped up at 45 degrees.

The video mode features its own button next to the command dial. Pressing the button would start/stop filming video immediately, regardless of what previous shooting mode you were in. Mic are located at the top of the camera for stereo recording.

NFC connectivity is useful for transferring your pictures to your NFC enabled smartphones and uploading to your social networks. If you have an Apple iDevices, you will have to revert back to the WiFi connectivity, which takes a little more effort to set up. I don't have an Android device so I can't test the connectivity.

When it comes to performance, NEX-5TL fairs pretty well with compact DSLR's. The bundled lens isn't the greatest or the sharpest but it is very compact when retracted. The Hybrid AF system is very fast and accurate. In low light conditions, the AF system still hunts occasionally. The Hybrid AF only works with compatible E lens (I think there are currently 2 lenses that don't support it, in which case the AF defaults to phase detection). You can also use direct manual focus as well and the camera provides manual focus assist (enlarge port of the frame) for you to fine tune your focus. You can also have the camera auto focus and then do your manual fine tuning.

Low-light shooting is excellent. I can shoot in the city night light conditions at up to ISO 3200 with great results, thanks to the large sensor and optical image stabilizer in the lens . However, any settings beyond ISO 3200 become very noisy.

Pros:
+ APS-C sized sensor
+ interchangeable lenses
+ fast Hybrid AF system (phase detection and contrast detection)
+ articulated, high resolution LCD with touch control
+ full HD @ 24fps, 60fps
+ NFC & WiFi connectivity
+ SD/SDHC/SDXC & Memory Stick Pro/Pro-HG Duo memory cards compatible

Cons:
- external flash attachment
- flash attachment obstructing LCD articulation

The NEX-5TL is a great camera, compact and light, and yet rivals entry level DSLR's. Comparing to the RX-100, which is similarly priced, I would go with the RX-100. RX-100 is smaller, lighter and has a built-in flash and a 3.6x lens. It is pretty easier to carry the RX-100 in one's pocket all the time and do candid shots when the occasion rises. The NEX-5TL, although small, is not exactly pocket sized, and its external flash would create some challenges to being fully portable and always ready. This is not to say that RX-100 trumps RX-5TL. Both takes excellent pictures and perform comparably well. But I prefer the former for its smaller size and being fully self-contained. If you want a rangefinder type camera with interchangeable lens, NEX-5TL is a great choice to consider.

5.0 out of 5 stars Former compact digital camera user review, December 16, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This review is for those who, like me, have never before used anything but a compact digital camera for their photography needs. Sony NEX-5TL is an upgrade for me from Samsung 12.2 megapixel camera with 4.6X optical zoom. That being said, this is not just an upgrade, this is a huge leap forward into an unknown territory for me. I was both excited and nervous at first. Excited because I heard these cameras have much-much greater picture quality. And, nervous, because I thought I’d have to take a course in professional photography to get the full benefit out of this camera. I am happy to tell you, that I was both right and wrong, in that order.

On Day 1, I have mastered all of the camera’s features w/o referring to the manual. All of the functionality, all of the options are well explained on the 3.0 inch touchscreen LCD. So, as you scroll through the menus and go through the setup, you will learn all the ins and outs of what this camera can do. And it can do a lot! But I’m sticking to its automatic features for now. It’s easy to use. The quality of pictures is superb. The camera is a great upgrade and I give it 5 stars. The most useful feature for me is transferring pictures from camera to my Mac over WiFi.

Some Things Worthy of Noting:
1. This camera could use a better, more comfortable neck strap. It looks and feels cheap.
2. There is no internal memory in this camera. You’ll need to purchase an SDHC memory card.
3. The external flash, when installed, will prevent the screen from tilting all the way to the front. So, if you are in a low light area and want to take a picture of yourself, well, you’ll just need to ask someone to take it for you.

On Day 2, I have bought a new lens - Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 lens. Yes, I feel ready to upgrade and I want to be able to take great pictures when zooming in on distant subjects. This lens fits NEX-5T and provides a wide focal range of up to 315mm. This is ideal for sports and nature shooting. I’m sure you are aware by now that Sony NEX-5T accepts Sony E-mount lenses. This opens up a world of endless creative options.

On Day 3, I have bought a case. I recommend Case Logic SLMC-201 for your Sony NEX-5T. It’s cheap and will protect your new investment in memory foam-lined interior and plush padding.

On Day 4, I have sold my old Samsung compact camera.

Day 5 and Onward, I am very happy with this camera and I’m never going back to compact digital cameras.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›