Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Sony NEX-5N loves batteries, it drains them pretty fast. It uses the battery very quickly when it is plugged into the computer for file transfer. On a typical shooting day for me I use two batteries, on a good shooting day I use three. So I have a large collection of batteries that I travel with, as well as both car and AC recharger.

I found that the best battery (and by that I mean price/performance ratio) is Wasabi pack Sony NPFW50 Rechargeable Battery Pack Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Sony NP-FW50, Alpha SLT-A33, SLT-A35, SLT-A55V, NEX-3, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-7, NEX-C3. I charged both batteries side by side they took approximately the same amount of time to charge. When I use them they both work for approximately the same amount of time. I have used both types of batteries for 7 months now on rotational basis and I am equally satisfied with them. However, Wasabi battery pack is a great deal by comparison to an OEM battery. For less money that one OEM battery Wasabi pack includes two batteries, a recharger, a car charger and European plug converter.

Side by side photo attached under customer photos.

A note compatibility: Sony has a special chip in every battery. When a new SONY camera comes out older batteries labeled NP-FW50 (from SONY or third party) they are chipped for different versions and do not work. The older version of NP-FW50 compatible batteries do not work in SONY NEX-5N. When buying any SONY battery one has to check that the offering lists SONY NEX-5N on the compatibility list (i.e. we cannot rely on the battery number alone). I learned this from personal experience and talking (well, complaining) to the manufacturer.

OEM SONY battery gets okay rating of 3 stars based on price/performance evaluation.

Ali Julia review
review image
44 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2012
The battery comes in authentic looking Sony packaging but do not be fooled. This battery weighs a fraction of the genuine battery and its life is even worse. If using on a full charge, you will not even get 10 minutes of video recording out of it. The battery does not hold a charge either, so its usefulness as an emergency backup is worthless as well. I really hope Amazon can weed out these forgeries. Also, it does not eject from my NEX-5N with out assistance, ie it gets stuck. Buyer beware, you may want to shop from a reputable dealer or Sony directly for these.
review image
on January 1, 2012
I purchased this battery as a backup battery for my Sony NEX-5N camera. It came in legitimate packaging and is labeled a Sony NP-FW50 battery. However, once I put it in my camera the screen displayed an error message saying that the battery was not compatible with my camera. After further inspection and comparison of this battery with my original battery I now see many differences on the color and sticker design on the front and back of the battery. They say that they are the same model but clearly this item is a knock off and does not work with my camera. I guess I should have known by the very discounted price but then again I expected it to be as advertised. Very disappointed. I didn't want to give this product any stars since it's totally useless to me but I had to enter 1 star to post.
55 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2012
I ordered this original OEM from Sony from Amazon. When I put it in my NEX-5N I got incompatible battery - use correct type error message. The original battery that came with the camera worked fine, but this one didn't work. I thought that I was getting the official OEM from Sony. Apparently there is a problem with the battery and the C3 and 5N with battery handshake with the chip in the battery. It works for 30 seconds then shows the error and locks up. The battery looked legit and the packaging was official - I just could not believe that it wouldn't work. I returned it.
on December 19, 2011
I ordered two batteries, one for $36 sold by "Digi Acc" and one shipped and sold by Amazon directly for about $55. Retail price is $80+ which is insane. The one for $55 was the real deal. Accepted by camera and exactly like the one shipped with the camera.

The $36 one, is a fake. It has all of the Sony labeling including the packaging. The label on the battery is mostly black instead of mostly white like the original. Sure, labels can change over time but it is also much lighter in weight than the original battery. You can tell the difference blindfolded. Sounds more hollow too when you set it down. Camera confirmed it is a fake. It would not accept this battery. I don't know if it will work with other camera models but it will not work with the NEX5N. Now I'm attempting to return. The store generally has good reviews so hopefully this won't be a problem.
on May 8, 2012
This product is labeled, "Sony NPFW50 Battery" but it is not. It is not made by Sony, and as many have reported is not even accepted by many Sony cameras. It's a fake. That would be fine, knock-offs are common, but this is labeled as an actual Sony battery. Isn't that false advertising?
on April 8, 2011
It's a Battery. It works and seems to work better than the off market brands. The Sony A55 is a big battery hog and drains the original battery after about 250shots. The spare works about the same. The generic that I have was only good for about 100 or so shots even though the specs were the same. In the case of the Sony A55 I think that I would stick with OEM battery on this camera.
on November 11, 2010
I bough this to use with a Sony Alpha SLT-A55V, in addition to the one one bundled with the camera body. Lasts for aprox. 350-400 exposures without flash (mixed use between viewfinder and live view). Charges in about 4 hours I think.
The thing I liked the most is the apparently accurate reading of the battery charge level, which is very uniform, without surprises or flunctuations. Recommended.
on February 7, 2015
With all the talk about fake batteries I was concerned that I may not receive the geniune article. I've attached photos of what I received (from Amazon, not a third party) having been removed from the blister pack. It matches the original supplied with my a6000 in weight (42g) as well as feel of the plastic (slightly thin on the side saying infolithium), dimensions and all visual/manual inspection. It fit perfectly, charged fully in about the same time as the original, reports percentage charge and seems to function as expected (in my relatively limited use so far). If more excessive testing yields negative results I'll try and remember to update my review.
review image review image review image
on July 8, 2015
Questionable for sure. I noticed some difference with the one I bought from Amazon and the one that came with my camera (Sony Alpha Nex-5T)

1. OEM is definitely heavier than the one from amazon
2. OEM says "Made in Japan" vs the one from amazon is "Made in China"

Check photos posted. The one on top with obvious wear is the one that came with my camera. The one at the bottom is from Amazon.
review image review image review image review image