5.0 out of 5 stars Better than your ordinary TV!
This TV is great! There are some mixed reviews out on the internet about this TV but the reality is, most TV's can not do what this TV can. There are some limitations to what the TV can do and some down side to the actual specifications of the TV but the positives out way the negatives by a lot. I will start with the negatives:

The first major negative for me...
Published on February 15, 2011 by CMack

1.0 out of 5 stars Input lag, read update at bottom (Will not work with PS3, XBOX360, Wii)
I spent a long time shopping for a new TV and turned down a bunch because I wanted something cheaper. Once I saw everything Google TV had to offer, I ended up deciding to spend more.

Picture: I have seen some complaints about the picture quality but have not had the same feelings myself. I am in love with audio and good sound, an audiophile, but not a big "Nice...
Published on April 9, 2011 by D. Maxon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 415 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy customer, September 16, 2011
This review is from: Sony NSX-40GT1 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LED HDTV Featuring Google TV, Black (2010 Model) (Electronics)
I have had this TV for a month now. I wanted to wait a bit to get a good feel for the TV before sending in a review.

The picture quality is awesome.
The remote took a bit to learn but I was fully expecting that. You get new equipment with new technology, you will have a learning curve.
It was fun learning to use the browser. It can be a little finicky at times but as a sports freak, it is fun watching the game and having the browser open for stats.
The set up was quick and relatively painless.

I have read the reviews talking about lag with gaming systems. I don't know what they are smoking. I use an Xbox 360 with the TV. The picture is crisp and the response time is exactly the same as with any other TV I have had.

The sound quality through the speakers wasn't the best but I have it connected to a sound system and it works perfectly.

This is an awesome product and I hope it sees a wider adoption that what it has seen so far.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if you are looking to use apps, September 8, 2013
I've had this TV for 2 years now and use it without cable. My review is based on the fact that as a smart TV it simply fails.

The layout for Netflix is actually very limiting, so when browsing for movies they only show you a handful of selections. So you can use pretty much any other internet access to Netflix to get a real understanding of what movies are available and then search Netflix on your Sony Tv to find them. Apple TV and Samsung Smart TVs both have a much better design.

The worst aspect is that HBO GO app is just a link to Google Chrome. Literally no user interface effort put into the HBO GO app in over 2 years and the streaming is spotty at best. Renting movies is also a process and never easy. Sometimes I can rent movies from YouTube and sometimes I can only pay to rent a movie, but can't watch it. Amazon renting doesn't always work either. Surprisingly, if the Sony movie rental place has the movie you want, it works.

I just spent a weekend with a Samsung Smart TV to realize how terrible Sony and Google have been married. It is almost like Google and Sony put together a half-assed product, and in their failure decided never to improve it. Due to this fact, I not only recommend avoiding this TV if you are looking for a smart TV, but will definitely never be buying a Sony/Google product again, knowing that they can just leave a cool product design like this to slowly fade on their customers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Video Game Consoles Will Lag!, August 26, 2011
I hooked my Xbox up to this Sony Google TV and notice terrible lag. After talking with the Sony rep, who was helpful, told me that all Sony Google TVs will lag when an Xbox or PS3 is hooked up to them. She explained that the hardware is not fast enough to handle video games properly. Other than that, the TV is great.

1.0 out of 5 stars EPIC FAILURE!!!, December 8, 2011
Jason "Peeps" (Littleton, CO, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this TV to be the centerpiece in my media room/office. Meaning it will be used for movies, gaming on my Sony Playstation 3 and as my computer monitor. I figured with the so called advanced processing circuitry and the fact that it was specifically designed to access and display web based media that it would be the clear choice for my needs...WRONG! From the second I hooked it up to my computer (it's running a six core processor, 8Gb of ram and a Nvidia GTX 570. I just listed that so you wouldn't thing it is my computers fault) there was an immediate and unfathomable amount of input lag from what the mouse was doing compared to what the cursor on the screen was doing. The input lag was so bad that it made it even hard to try to open a desktop icon because I kept passing them up. I checked and rechecked everything and found everything to be set up and connected perfectly. I then tried the PS3 and found it had the same issue making any game I tried virtually unplayable. I decided to browse the forums looking for NSX-40GT lag and found this to be a HUGE and documented issue with this TV. I thought how does Sony put out a TV that you can't even use with their own product, the PS3. Disgusted, I contacted Sony and spoke to three different drones over the course of an hour that kept repeating the same thing...

"Users may experience a slight lag or delay in response time when connecting the Internet TV device to a game console. This is a natural result of the advanced processing circuitry in the Internet TV device. This is normal operation."

...Lag is "NORMAL OPPERATION"?! and they call it 'advanced circuitry"...wow. After beating my head against the wall I threw my hand in the air disconnected the hunk of plastic they call a TV and will be returning it in the morning. Sony's attempt to cover the obvious flaw in the engineering of this TV by updating the status of this issue as "normal operation" should be criminal. Do yourself a favor and stay away, far away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV-Needs Manual, January 12, 2011
We have had this set for about two weeks and love almost everything
about it. It is very hi tech and has an endless amout of features.
The main problem is there is very little documentation. The help
menu is not easy to work with and the internet help information
is limited and has poor indexing. If this set came with a good,
detailed manual it would be the best you can get. If your patient
with the internet part of the setup you will be happy. If you don't
a little tech inclination and patience, well you know.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good - but DO NOT for video games, October 27, 2011
Hello! I've had this model for about a month, and love it for youtube, vimeo, and netflix. Looks good, too.

But I was really disappointed to learn that for gaming, I had serious issues with "lagging". The screen runs about half a second behind your controls. I have a wii--I'm not even a serious gamer, but learning that there's nothing I can do to fix it is a big disappointment, especially because this is my first HDTV. I just wanna play some mario--but this problem renders mario unplayable. I tried switching to a component cable, but no help.

Other TVs have a "game mode" that corrects this problem, but not this TV. They have no plans to fix it, and you can see Sony's official stance here (they call the problem "normal") [...]

I bought the TV based on google and sony's brand names. Hop they fix it someday with a software update. I should have done more research on the subject before buying.

I'll just keep playing mario on my 18 inch old as heck TV with built in vhs deck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tv I have ever used, August 19, 2011
Vic (connecticut , usa) - See all my reviews
I really don't know how to explain. The only negative ( and is same for all tvs) is you have to buy at least an hdmi cable which is not cheap. But once you have your tuner running through hdmi or other digital connections you will be seeing tv for the first time. There is no clearer picture out that I have seen. On the real hd channels you will notice some of the pretty people , well, aren't so pretty. And hd is there enemie. Very easy to use, the only difficulty is going through all the apps and options so you can bookmark your favorites. I have a very slow network and I still have no buffering issues ( hbo go aside ,no matter what it buffers) Netflix runs smooth and initial setup is a guided process made easy. You will want to adjust as your needs and familiarity of tv/cable/wifi systems are more defined . But as I said is fairly easy to fine tune. This being said by someone who is a technical dinosaur! All I can say is hdmi or higher connection, then sit back and enjoy tv like never before!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, tons of potential!, March 9, 2011
I spent months looking at different tvs, trying to figure out which was best for my first HDTV. I figured despite it's lack of 120 Hz like a lot of other tvs, the picture quality would be great and I could never tell the difference anyways. The picture looks great. I believe setup would have been a breeze, but somehow I also got a mixup with Comcast, so the channels wouldn't switch with the remote, not a knock on the tv though.

I saw a bunch of reviews about this tv and they were mixed, but anything that was negative was some quasi-professional nitpicking. Overall I find the remote to be different and fun, the home screen and search experience makes you feel next generation of viewing. Netflix worked like a charm, and I could view Dexter in HD, which was gross, but awesome at the same time haha. I haven't had this TV for 24 hours, and I'm really looking forward to learning it more. And with the updates and impending addition of google app market, this should keep anyone busy for sometime.

Overall I love the design, the metal bear-trap stand and the internet capabilities. I have had no problem with the browser, it is responsive. I believe any knock anyone has written on it has a internet-speed issue, not a tv issue. I'll try to update this as I learn more to give any negatives, but with the gift card special included, this was a very good tv to buy, and I'm happy to support the upcoming Google TV community. I believe the more the better experience this will be for all. It's definitely not an ordinary tv, it feels more than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginning, February 14, 2011
Just got my 40 inch Sony google tv.
Excellent quality,friendly user interface and android compatibility.waiting for many more updates and apps.
I would suggest it to anyone who's looking for a TV with internet/or someone who is about to buy his first one.
Great price for an LED/LCD tv with internet,and on the top of that it's SONY.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do more research, do not waste money, February 14, 2013
I did little research before buying this TV two years ago. I had actually not even owned a TV for over a year before buying this one, so it seemed very cool at first with the wi-fi streaming. It was fun at first watching Netflix and using Pandora without a lot of wires and additional boxes. BUT, you CANNOT use the Pandora app anymore, I have to go to Google Chrome and pandora.com to login to listen and that takes about 5 minutes to get going. Netflix locks up all the time. I contacted Sony about my google TV and they said my internet was too slow. REALLY? Works fine with ipad and either of my laptops, and was okay for the first 1-2 years. I disconnected everything wireless to make sure I was not drawing down the bandwidth. Still bad. SO, I upgraded my DSL to 3megs after Sony suggested I do so, and still crappy. Pandora app still not working, Google Chrome worse than dial up, Netflix still chokes. TV was okay for about a year, now I am NOT happy. And, I am also paying $25 more a month for faster internet that I did not need. Oh, I also cannot watch Hulu. Another waste. Oh, and when I put a photo card in, I cannot view the basic jpeg files. I could go on and on. YouTube will no longer work, really making for an unhappy two year old! I am not tech savy, but the TV was okay for a while, now it is just a regular TV to me. Will research Apple TVs next time and read a lot more reviews.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 415 | Next ›