Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now bgg

Package Type: Standard PackagingChange

on September 30, 2011
I own the previous iteration of this device which is now available for $50. I was so happy with the previous generation that I bought one for my brother and his wife for Christmas. The 1stGen product is great. For anyone who works out and hates headphone cables, it provides hours of music with reasonably thought-out controls.

When I saw that Sony had come out with a new and improved version, I had to have it. So far I have been impressed. Though the earpieces are fatter, they don't jiggle around at all, even when I shake my head hard. This is not really that important if you wear the device while cycling or rowing or anything else low impact, but I expect it will be a very helpful for running and boxing. I haven't taken it for a test run, but I expect excellent results based on initial fit.

Compared to the 1stGen, the fatter earpiece profile makes it look less like you are wearing two bluetooths when you work out, which is nice, and the band seems to be a little more secure. The controls are different as well: The old play/pause/forward skip/backward skip/zappin button is replaced by separate play and skip buttons on the right earpiece, and volume shuffle control on the left.

Only gripe: 1stGen used standard mini USB, meaning I could charge it with any of my cables that work with multiple devices. This one uses some kind of wierdly-shaped mini-usbesqe plug. Not convenient! That is the only reason for 4 stars. Otherwise a solid upgrade, and a great product. If you liked the old one, you will like this one even more.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2011
The Sony Walkman MP3 player is a God send having gone through countless wired headphones and the Motorola S-10 HD trying to find a comfortable headset that can hold up to my sweaty runs and exercise.

Design -

The biggest problem for most headphones supposedly made for running is the design. Bluetooth sets like the Motorola S-10 HD are made with rigid plastic that gives little slack to adjust to different sized heads. The speaker is WAY too big therefore making the ear buds impossible to fit snugly in the ear and as a result makes the sound quality poor. This Sony MP3 player solves the problem with the over the ear design which is best for securing the headset in place, coupled with a flexible plastic connector for best positioning. There is separation between the ear buds and main player allowing the device to hold up well even while you sweat heavily. Due to the comfortable design and over the ear setup the ear buds sit snugly in place during my 5 mile runs and sessions with weights at the gym.

The play, back, forward, volume buttons are well placed and easy to use. Mid jog/run you might dislodge the ear piece a bit while hitting the buttons and cause it to slip out a little but otherwise it sits in your ear all run.

Sound -

The sound quality is quite good because the ear buds fit snugly in your ear. As a result you get pretty good bass response and the music sounds full. The fit is so good that it blocks out a lot of sound with the music off. I often have to take one ear piece out to hear what my running buddie is saying. The volume gets pretty loud too.

Setup and ease of use -

I personally can't stand bloatware like Itunes. I love that I can drag and drop music files just by connecting the device. You can add folders or playlists to separate your music or you can just put it on shuffle. Switching between folders is a simple matter of a long button press. The battery lasts for quite a while and the device will go into power saving mode if paused for a while. LED light also lets you know your battery charge so you can plug into any phone or usb micro usb cable to charge. There is a reset button which I've had to use once because the device wouldn't power on right after I disconnected from my computer. Happened once and after hitting the reset button all was back to normal.

If you like running and need a headset that works well this is the choice. Bought one for my wife and buying 2 more for my running buddies as Christmas presents. No big mp3 player to log around, headphones work better than any headphones you can get for your mp3 player, good battery life and easy drag and drop functionality. Kudos to Sony. They knocked it out the park with this one.

Note: You can't fast forward/rewind/seek through tracks so if you are trying to do an audiobook and you want to move around a long mp3 file this will not work. Just FYI.
on December 3, 2011
I owned the previous model NWZ-W252 and it was a thing of beauty. The only draw back was that it looked like you are wearing two bluetooth ear pieces and people may look at you as if you are an alien. That aside, the convenience of having no wires to hassle with is priceless. It fitted perfect and never slipped off when I used it for running.

I upgraded to this new version NWZ-W262 and although it looks better, the primary function of it staying in place on your head is inferior. For some stupid reason, the designers did not include the critical TENSION ROD within the black band that goes around the back of your head like the previous version did. This rod slightly presses the ear pieces toward each other for a snug fit. Without this rod, the new version fits by having the black band fall loosely on top of your ears with only the ear plugs in your ear canals to secure it. The black band is simply a rubber hose with wires in it and offers no elasticity or grip on your head. Thus, the thing will happily pop out of your ears as you become sweaty. The different size ear plugs do not help and would have to be long enough to tickle your ear drums to make a difference. One must have a wide head for it to fit properly as it seems they designed it without consideration of different head types. A tension rod makes it versatile. Very disappointed.

Going back to the old version...

p.s. Perhaps one day they will think of creating one with a radio

EDIT 5/2012: Sony posted a possible solution for the fit issue. Search for C224292 on Sony's eSupport site. The solution involves twisting and bending the band near the ear pieces to better fit around the ear. Unfortunately, it is a temporary fix and will require repeated adjustments as it reverts back to its original form.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2012
I dont know about the people stating that this is a perfect fit item, but for me, I could not get these to stay on my ear. I was constantly having to stop and adjust them, and as soon as a little sweat got on them, it was impossible to stay on. It charged easy enough, and was easy to start using, but the fit ultimately made me give this item a 1 star rating. Surpringly, the previous model of this product, I had no problem with! anyway, I just ordered the plantronics 903+ bluetooth headset. I hope they fit better, and I can finally run without ahving to fidget with my headphones every 2 min.
on April 27, 2012
The quality is disappointing. Moderate use for 6 months and it no longer turns on.

Contacted customer support, and was told I need to pay the shipping + $30 labor to get it repaired, even when it is still under warranty!!! That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. No wonder Sony is going down. Goodbye Sony, another loyal customer gone.
on October 31, 2011
I almost bought these because they were included in an Amazon search for "mp3 swimming". When I checked the specs they were listed as "water-resistant". A quick check with Sony customer support confirmed that these are NOT for swimming! Otherwise, they look great.....wish they were...
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2011
As a member of Ambassadors Team Sony Walkman, I received this product to try out. I LOVE IT!! For anyone from an ultra-runner to a casual gym-goer, this MP3 player will be a worthy addition to your workout gear.

The best feature of this MP3 player is that it's wireless. That's right -- no more threading wires through your shirt or strapping on an armband in an effort to control wires that will inevitably get tangled. I frequently use my Walkman in the weight room, and now I never have to worry about free weights getting caught in wires and pulling out my earbuds.

The battery life is great, and I only have to charge it about once a week. I also like that it is sweat-proof and water-resistant. At first I was hesitant about the Walkman since I have previously purchased a lot of music in itunes. However, it was quick and simple to "drag & drop" my itunes playlists into the Sony Walkman music program. It took me a few tries to figure out the best position for the earbuds to hold in place, but it's been solid ever since.

Finally, the sound quality is amazing! As a former ipod user, I didn't even realize how much I was missing out on sound quality until I tried the Sony Walkman. I listen to mostly rap and hip-hop while working out... and you can get some serious bass on this MP3 player. One friend who tested it out exclaimed, "It's a party in my head!" Definitely a plus for getting you pumped up to workout!
on October 29, 2011
I love my Sony Walkman 262. Amazing, why I didn't buy them sooner, I don't know. It pretty much made my iPod useless. No wires to get in the way with easy access to the buttons without looking. Stays on my head without budging even during a hard track workout. It fits my ears great with the original ear buds, but it does come with a variety of sizes. If you have really small ears, they may not fit you.
on January 7, 2012
I used these for about 8 hours/day for two weeks so take my review for what it's worth. I have an average sized to larger head and also let another person with a smaller head wear them for a day and we both got the same results. The problem is that they pop out of your ears constantly! We both tried all three sized ear buds that came with it to make sure it wasn't user error. I even attached some form-fitting ear buds to the unit(nice to see it fits universal buds, +1). This helped reduce the popping out by about half because of the tension it created in my ear canal, also gave me a headache having to create this level of tension to keep the buds from popping out. Still, I had to try everything before I gave up on them.

What I personally attribute this to is poor design, just my opinion here after serious consideration and trial. It seems that the headphone parts are too heavy and lean outward and the band is not able to stabilize the unit properly on you ears to keep the buds in place. This happens when we were just walking or turning our heads, I can't imagine how annoying it would become if you work out with them or run.

Oh well, thanks to Amazon's awesome return policy I'm off to purchase a JLab "Go" 4GB waterproof version for the same price and will leave a review for those after 2 weeks if anyone is interested or on the fence. I will say I did like the sound quality and it did keep a good 10-11 hour charge so that was nice, it's why I gave it two stars instead of one, that and the universal ear bud attachability ;-)
on December 10, 2011
I bought the NWZW263BLK 4GB W Series Walkman MP3 Player because I wanted something wireless for when I run and go to the gym. They looked promising, and had mixed reviews, so I decided to buy them. It's been a week since I've been using them, and I'm better off using regular headphones attached to a MP3 player. These things DO NOT STAY in your ear at all. Matter affect when I bought them, first thing I did was put them on, and did a couple of jumping jacks to see how stable they were, and they kept flopping around, and would not stay in my ear at all. I was not even sweaty. This was a bad sign from the get go. I've tried using them at the gym, and on the treadmill, and it's a no go. I'm returning them until i can find something else.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse