Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

VINE VOICEon December 28, 2010
OK, I realize that as soon as you buy into the Sony NEX system, everything gets pretty expensive... but... sheesh!... this is essentially a thicker/stiffer version of a cell phone screen protector that you can get on eBay for all of a couple of bucks. That's really my only complaint: The price is much higher than I'd expect, even given the Sony NEX branding.

Now, as to the performance... while I haven't tried the other screen protectors as the other reviewer has, it does work just fine: It looks sharp, goes on easily, adheres quite well (but not so well you can't remove it if you need to reposition it), and looks as though it really will protect the LCD from anything up to about 25 grit sandpaper.

While the instructions suggest lining up the upper left edge of the protector with the edge of the LCD, I found that leaves the protector a bit to the left of center -- I suggest using the left and right borders of the LCD (which is ever-so-slightly narrower than the screen protector's transparent portion) and equalizing their widths to establish the true center.

I didn't see this product on Sony's web site, but I think it's a better idea that the one they show that's a thicker plastic that snaps around the edges of the LCD: That one doesn't appear to form an air-tight seal to the screen, so small particles such as sand might still manage to sneak underneath and scratch the LCD, plus I don't think it looks as nice, adding a bit to the camera body's thickness. (With this protector the tallest part on the back of the camera is still the ridges on the jog dial -- although by no more than a millimeter, I think!)
on January 29, 2011
Absolutely love it. I was using the thin stick on protectors, but they'd peel off every few days. This one fits perfect, stays on perfect and is crystal clear. Well worth it, in my opinion.
on December 15, 2010
I've tried a few LCD protectors for the Sony NEX 5, and prefer this one because it is cut to fit and not block the sensors. It fits perfectly and will protect the LCD from scratches. It's worth the investment to protect the LCD screen as I hear through the various blogs of how Sony users have scratched their LCD screens and I don't want to be in that predicament. It's worth the cost to set your mind at ease.
on May 4, 2011
After reading several reviews for different screen protectors for Sony NEX-3, I decided to buy this one even though I rarely buy anything from Sony because I can usually find products that are much cheaper. I decided on this because I don't have a bag just for my NEX-3 (I tend to just place it in my large purse) and I wanted to make sure the screen protector is really sturdy.

This screen is much thicker than I expected. So far I have only used screen protector that's just a thin layer which protect against scratches or fingerprints. This protector actually creates a thin space between the actual screen and the plastic. The black perimeter is the thick part. I really like this feature because then the plastic part doesn't touch the actual screen. Also the protector doesn't take away anything from the already beautiful NEX design.

As for visibility, the screen is still very clear with the protector on. I don't see any difference between before and after I put the protector on.

I would highly recommend this protector to anyone considering a strong, well-designed screen protector for their NEX-3/5! It is a little on the pricey side but we should all expect that since it is from Sony ;)

It made sense to me why it would be more expensive than the regular adhesive screen protector once I saw the actual product. Although I'm still not convinced that it should be THAT much more expensive... :P
on July 1, 2011
This protector has a thin strip of sticky foam tape that adheres it to the edges of the LCD, this leaves an air gap between the LCD and the protector, which is okay. Unfortunately, the strip does not go all the way around; it has gaps near the bottom corners so dust and lint get between the protector and the screen. Then it's hard to see the screen. Then you take it off and lose fifteen dollars. Then you have to spend another ten dollars on a traditional screen protector. I suggest you skip this protector unless you are okay with taking it off and cleaning it occasionally, but who knows how many times you can do that before the adhesive wears out? Alternatively, if you are willing to buy (or already have) some thin double sided foam tape, you can fill in the areas that Sony missed. I guess the success of that hack would depend on the thickness of your tape and your cutting skills... good luck either way. And no, I have not actually bought another type of protector for my NEX-5, it's going unprotected until I stop smarting from buying this one!
on December 5, 2011
really this product deserves no stars.

this semi-hard plastic lcd protector not only is expensive, but it actually hinders one from taking a photograph outside by the increasing the dreaded GLARE on the screen!

if i want to see a reflection myself I could buy myself mirror. haha

opt for a matt finish screen antiglare type protector. it is worlds better than this overpriced Sony option.

just trying to look out for someone to not make the same mistake.
on March 5, 2012
Just for folks considering purchasing this for the new Sony NEX 7, don't. I bought one and had to send it back because it's just a bit too small. The NEX 7's LCD is a couple of millimeters larger and it doesn't really give complete coverage!
77 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2011
I bought this for my Sony NEX-5 because of the investment I made in the camera, I felt that I should also make an investment in some of the protection as well.

Once you open the envelope this comes packaged in, you will notice that this protector is a lot thicker and harder than your typical screen protectors which may cost less. Although install was a bit tricky, it was still fairly painless. The trick is to make sure that the SONY letters on the film go right over the SONY letters on the camera screen. Make sure to start applying from an edge and not just laying the whole thing down at once. Using this method, I had no problems with air bubbles.

Once installed, the screen definitely feels protected.

There you go! If you made the investment in a decent camera, there is no reason you shouldn't protect it.
on October 12, 2011
Great buy, would not buy anything else

Pros:
-Thick enough to protect the unwanted fingers of those intrigued by the touch ability would poke at the touch screen with force
-Easy to put on, got it in one try and no air bubbles at all.
-Happy that there is the Sony logo.
-Does what it is supposed to do.
-No distortion.
-Touch is still accurate.

Cons:
-The bottom corners that aren't covered looks nice aesthetically but having a portion of the screen exposed shows the oils from the fingers and my camera is touch screen so fingers are inevitable.
-A little on the expensive side.

Conclusion:
-Great buy, works well and was easy to put on. Hopefully I don't need to get any replacements.
on May 11, 2011
Don't be fooled by the Semi-Hard Plastic in the title. This is in no way a shield for the LCD on the back of your Sony camera. It is a flexible piece of sticky laminate that I just paid $10 for and I feel I've been taken for a ride. If you want to save yourself some money just buy one of the many "LCD protector" products and cut it to size. You'll be getting the same value- it just won't say Sony on it and you'll have a bunch of leftover lcd protectors for the next time you need one and you'll have saved like $7. No need to thank me, just go buy a cheeseburger, have a coke and a smile.