5.0 out of 5 stars Love this sooo much
This reader has seriously changed my life. I have read so many books since getting it. I bought my wife the pink one and she loved it so much that I had to get a silver one for myself. We are both nuts for them. Amazing purchase.

Published on January 14, 2011 by G. Farnsworth

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it!
I own this product and I simply don't like it at all compared to Sony's earlier PRS 500 and 505's both of which were great e-readers.

First of all I really dislike having to use the touch screen and stylus to select books.

Second, I detest the smaller screen.

Published on December 5, 2012 by Conor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this sooo much, January 14, 2011
This review is from: Sony PRS-350 Reader Pocket Edition Pink (Personal Computers)

People pretty much know what an e-reader does. It reads books. I'll direct my comments to why this was the best e-reader for me and my wife.

============== The Good =================

1. It's small enough to fit in my shirt pocket. There is no wasted space to speak of around the edge of the screen. If you look at other e-readers there are large keyboards and other miscellaneous wasted space. That makes it a pain to take around. This is small enough to fit in a shirt or coat pocket very easily or be held in the hand, but still sports the five inch screen (which is one inch smaller on the diagonal than the Kindle, for example).

2. Touchscreen. The reason this doesn't have to have any nasty buttons is that it has a touch screen that works very well. You tap a word twice with your finger to bring up the definition. You brush your finger across the screen to silently turn the page. Brush across and hold to scroll quickly through the book. I wouldn't have thought the touchscreen was an important feature but it turns out to be extremely valuable. By the way, the touch screen isn't a second layer of plastic or something as other touchscreen devices tend to be. It uses some kind of infrared sensor. Anyway it works well. You can draw pictures and take notes with a stylus if you want to. Double tap at the top right of the page to "dog ear" the page, leaving a bookmark there.

3. The screen is very clear and looks great. It's that pearl display. The new kindle also has that. Faster and better contrast than early models. The resolution is amazing. It looks like it was printed on a laser printer.

4. This can read epubs. In case you don't know, epub is the standard format for ebooks. It's the format you get free (public domain) books in and it's the format your library will check a book out to you in. The kindle won't read epubs and that's the main reason I started looking at these. It's amazing how many epubs are out there and they are pretty easy to make myself out of whatever document I may want to open.

I don't have any big bones to pick...I'm a very happy customer...but here are the things that are suboptimal or you may not like:

=============== The Less Good ========================

1. There's no wifi. You have to use a computer to put books on. I actually don't find this annoying. How often do you put books on? And each book is only a half a meg and this has 2 gigs of space. So that's 4000 books. How often do you need to connect. Anyway it doesn't bother me, but some people want the wifi. Actually this machine is awesome because if you just plug it in it acts like a usb drive and you just copy stuff over. No need to use the sony software. Freedom!

2. The silver one is too shiny. The borders around the screen reflect more light than the screen does. If there is a light behind me I find this annoying. It's not a problem with the pink version. I wish they had black. I eventually ended up covering my borders with clean-release tape to stop the glare.

3. The home screen displays the last book you read and the three books you most recently copied on to the drive, not the three you most recently read. This cannot be changed. It seems like a small thing but it gets really annoying when you alternate between two books and neither of them was among the last three copied onto the device. You have to dig into your collection and find the book if it wasn't the last one you read.

4. Battery life is 2 weeks or so. That's pretty good, but not as good as the kindle. And the battery is not easily replaceable (same as kindle). We have yet to see how long the battery lasts. At this rate, probably a really long time.

5. This machine is no good for pdf's. I don't think any e-readers are except maybe the kindle dx. You can read them but you have to zoom in to see anything and the zoom facility isn't real convenient. Also, I've had the device lock up while reading several pdf's. Rebooting is easy but I hate buggy things like that. My advice is not to mess with pdfs.

=========== Closing Comments =============

Sonly makes this model, a 6-inch model, and a long-narrow model. I am an academic and would REALLY like a good e-reader for reading academic pdfs. I really wish some manufacturer would make a simple e-reader that will read epubs (unlike the kindle) and has a big enough screen to read a normal pdf page (unlike everything but the kindle dx). I guess I'll have to wait for that.

In the mean time, this device is perfect for reading novels for entertainment, particularly old classics that are in the public domain (i.e., epubs).

4.0 out of 5 stars Smaller, lighter, better!!, September 27, 2010
C. Faull (Detroit, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I upgraded from the PRS 300 pocket reader. I love how small, thin and light the new pocket reader is. The 5" screen size stayed the same. For the most part I like the touch screen, although it is easy to accidentally turn the page. I really love that there is a dictionary now on the Pocket Reader and with the touch screen, looking up definitions is a breeze. The new e-ink makes the print easier to read. Also, you now have 6 font size choices, which I like. Overall, I recommend this new PRS 350 Pocket Reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Library in your Pocket, January 27, 2011
Jaylia3 (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I never thought I would want an e-reader, but after I got an Android phone I tried several reading apps and discovered there are thousands of out-of-copyright books I could download for free. Just using my phone I read all 900 pages of Fanny Burney's novel Cecelia and then I started borrowing e-books from my library. I was hooked.

After doing a lot of research online and then going to stores to compare it with the Nook and Kindle I chose this e-reader and have been extremely happy with it. It's small and light weight, and it feels beautiful with its almost satiny metal finish. The screen is amazingly clear, so bright I took it into a dark room to make sure it wasn't actually back-lit, and considering the dimensions of the reader the screen is quite generous in size--the navigation buttons are small but easy to use and the the only keyboard is virtual so it doesn't waste space that could otherwise be part of the display. I take a lot of notes when I read and the on-screen keyboard works fine. There is a stylus that slips securely into the side of the reader which is very useful for typing and even navigating, though most of the time I just use my fingers.

Like all e-readers, the 350 holds hundreds of books. To keep track of them you can order the books into collections, which are like computer folders. Since I am usually reading several books at once I created a "Currently Reading" collection to make it easier to find them. One of the features I like best about the 350 is how simple it is to look up words with the built in dictionaries--you just tap them twice. You can also take notes, highlight passages and bookmark pages. There are 6 font sizes to chose from so any book could be a Large Print edition if you want it to be. It does not have WiFi and I know that will be a negative for some people. For me it is almost an advantage. With no internet distraction it's easier to to have that lost-in-a-book experience that I thought might be missing with an e-reader. I believe not having WiFi also helps the battery charge last longer.

There is now a Sony Reader app for Android so any book you buy for your reader can also be downloaded to your phone. It's still a rudimentary app at this point. There are no page numbers which is a problem since the 350 does not have WiFi so it's not possible to sync pages. To start reading on your phone where you left off on your 350 is not as easy as it would be if you had a Kindle or Nook. I haven't minded that because the 350 is small enough that I just about always carry it around in my purse. I bought a case--the Sony Reader Touch Edition PRSA-CP65--to protect it.

I chose the 350 instead of the Kindle because so far it is not possible to borrow library books with the Kindle. I have bought a few books from the Sony store, but most of what I read comes from Project Gutenberg, Many Books, Google Books or the library. With the Nook it is possible to borrow library books, and it does have WiFi, but though the reading part of its screen isn't that much bigger than the 350 the Nook felt over-sized and clumsy to me.

UPDATE/CORRECTION about the Sony Reader App for Android: It turns out there are page numbers you can access when reading Sony books on your Android. Tap the bottom of the page to display them. Use a quick tap because a longer press activates the highlighting feature. Page numbers are displayed with a bar you can swipe to navigate forward or backward in the book. The bar and page number cover up the last few lines of text on the page so you wouldn't want to keep them there--tap the top of the page to get rid of them--but the Android page numbers coordinate with the ones in the 350 so at least it's possible to continue reading where you left off.

Currently Apple has not approved the Sony Reader App for its devices.

FURTHER CLARIFICATION: If you buy the Sony 350 you cannot buy your e-books from Amazon--the Kindle format is incompatible with any other brand of e-reader. The easiest place to buy books for the 350 is the Sony Reader Store and from what I've seen so far its selections and prices are similar to Amazon. Buying from the Sony Reader Store is a one step process because it puts the books directly into the 350's reader library on your computer. From there you move them onto your 350 via the included USB cable. There is only one extra step if you want to buy from Google's new book store, or from Kobo, Borders or, I believe, Barnes and Noble. When you get books from those online stores you first download them to your computer, and then import them to the reader library. After that it's the same process of moving them onto your 350 with a USB cable.

I was used to buying my books on Amazon, and if they also offered the ePub format the other e-readers use I probably still would. It will be interesting to see if Amazon moves into that market as non-Kindle e-readers become more popular.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved, November 3, 2010
Janey (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
I had the pocket PRS-300 which I really liked, but decided to upgrade. The PRS 350 seems better in every way. Lighter, smaller and the text is even easier to read. I really like the touch screen feature over the push buttons of the PRS 300. My friend had the older touch screen 6" model and it had a lot of glare and the text didn't stand out very well. This model doesn't have the glare issue and the text is darker and stands out from the background better. I also like that this model has a dictionary and search feature. I mainly use the reader with the public library and haven't had any issues with putting both epub and pdf books on the reader at the same time. I am very happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving my first e-reader, February 24, 2011
Wasn't in a hurry to buy an e-reader, but thought it would be great to find one that was compatible with our local digital library. Decided on the Sony PRS-350 based on compatibility and also on the positive reviews, and I am very happy with my purchase.

The size is great and the screen has good contrast. The font options come in handy, especially if my glasses are not readily available. The color is lovely [more of a rose color than pink] and it is refreshing to have something other than the silver/grey/black of so many electronic devices.

The battery charge lasts quite awhile [of course this will vary depending on each person's usage], and you can use it while it is charging. I have taken it on two trips and will be taking it on a third next week; even though I also have a Kindle now, I still enjoy the Sony and take both readers with me when traveling.

Like that it is a dedicated e-reader; I spend enough time on the computer as it is and don't need a reader for that.

Note: The cover is worth buying; it provides protection for the screen, looks very nice and has a flexible built-in light with two settings. The light runs on one AAA battery that lasts a good while [again this will vary based on usage]. The reader easily fastens into the cover.

Still definitely recommend as of this update, 12/28/2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wife loves it, January 1, 2011
But this for my wife instead of the kindle and i am glad i did. My Aunt got a kindle for christmas and it froze after 15 minutes of using it and she had to return it. My wife hasn't had any problems with it, and she uses it every day for at least three hours. Very easy to use.

Update: 2-11-2011
My Aunt has gone through three kindles since Christmas. They have all had the same problem of freezing up on her. Mywife has not experienced any problems. She had trouble with her E-books staying in the right folders, but she dinked around with it and solved that problem. It has been a good a purchase so far. I am very glad i didn't buy the kindle. Sorry Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have two!, August 7, 2013
BUY THIS!

When Borders began going out of business I bought my husband a "brand new" display edition of the PRS-350 in silver. He had been asking for an e-reader for awhile and was really dubious about this one. After about 3 months from him I heard no complaints and he took it everywhere. It was always in his pocket on standby when he needed it. When he went overseas I met him there and he left his reader with me when I stayed on after he came home. He was forlorn! He missed it so much that I immediately went on Amazon and bought him the same exact one to be sent to the house. He didn't want a different version! I could only find it in Pink :)

Anyway, I began using it and fell in love with it. I took it everywhere! To me, I appreciate NOT having WIFI. Perhaps I am too easily distracted and I know I would spend too much money buying books I may never get around to reading. You can put almost any format on this thing except for the .mobi kindle files. When I got home I confiscated the pink reader and gave my husband his silver one back. The touch screen is very responsive. It holds a ton of books. The battery life is absolutely fantastic. We had an old mini-usb cell phone charger that works great and you can plug in the wall and read at the same time it charges. This little guy is seriously legit.

I'm writing this in August of 2013... years after the model came out! I have no complaints. Great job Sony! You won't find any reader like this on the market. None are this small and attractive. My only wish is that Sony makes a next generation of this model for when these finally do wear out in 5 or 10 years ;)

BUY THIS!

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it!, December 5, 2012

Second, I detest the smaller screen.

Third, I also don't like having to charge the reader via the USB cable and having to wait while it charges. Why Sony no longer has a port for a wall charger is beyond me. With the wall charger I could read while the battery charged. Further with the wall charger used by the older models the unit was still functional after the battery was no longer able to hold a charge which is how I used my PRS 505 for roughly two years after its battery died.

In summary the PRS is too small, too expensive,and lacking in too many features to make it worth purchasing. In the future when I need a new ereader I intend to buy something else and in all likelihood it will not be a Sony.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony e reader PRS 350 review - good product, bad batter, October 10, 2011
I love the Sony E reader, it is light and easy to use. Everything works as it should. It is easy to load the books onto it. My only complaint would be the short battery life. Nothing like the time or number of page turns advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony PRS-350 Pocket Edition Touch Pink Love It!!!!, October 18, 2011
Twinszz "twinszz" (Memphis, tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
I have had my pocket edition touch reader for about two months now. I absolutely love it. I have the 950 as well and love it as well. I recently bought the T1 and the light weight of it and being able to download books directly to it, have me picking it up in stead of my 350.

However, when I have certain books I want to read on it, I grab the 350, which is so compact, fits in my purse or pocket with the pink cover witha light, it is perfect. I can one hand it and read it that way far better than my 950 or T1 as it has a better design for it than the T1 and it is sssslightly lighter than the 950.

The page turns on it are perfect and loading books onto it is a breeze. Loving this little piece of joy.

Choices, choices, I lovvve this little reader.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›