Published on January 2, 2010 by Kevin Currie-Knight

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems in sunlight kill usability
I bought the PRS-900 mainly for documents in pdf or doc (MS-Word) format. I really like some of it, but as the problem issues added up, I have decided to return it.
Here are the things I liked the most:
1. Excellent metal body with good tactile feel. Included cover (leather?) is good quality.
2. Stylus is useful when using the touch screen, and you want to...
Published on April 4, 2010 by Mohit Sharma

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Ebook Reader on the Market (from former kindle user), January 2, 2010
This review is from: Sony PRS900BCKIT Reader Daily Edition (Black) (Electronics)
I owned a Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation)for about a year and a half. When I bought a Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition - Black (PRS600BC), I kept my kindle but found myself reading the sony most of the time. Now that this daily edition is out, I bought that and sold both other devices. The sony is quite superior for several reasons (and this is a turnaround from when I gave the sony touch a 3 star review a few months ago).

First, many folks have noticed the increased resolution of the new sony screen. The daily edition recognizes 16 shades of grey and the print is simply much more defined than either the sony touch or the kindle. Yes, the touch screen necessitates a bit of shininess on the screen, causing occasional glare, but I have never really had a problem with this. Nothing a small turn of the wrist can't easily solve.

What really sold me on the daily edition, though, was the bigger screen. I could have spent more for the kindle DX, but the device is really large and not very portable. This 7.1 inch screen is a good sized screen, big enough to be more like the size of a "trade paperback book" (the size larger than the supermarket paperback), but small enough to be portable and feel good held with one hand. The screen recognizes about 32 lines of text - again, about as much as a "trade paperback."

And those who read PDF files will really like this machine. While the screen is still a bit small to read a pdf regujlarly in portrait mode, it is a perfect size for reading PDFs in landscape mode. The only drawback is that it takes three "pages" to equal one PDF page (each real page is broken ino three thirds). But this is not a problem for me, and I read PDFs a lot. And unlike the kindle and even Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device (9.7" Display, U.S. Wireless, Latest Generation), one can annotate, zoom in on, and look up words in, PDFs with the sony. One can even change the font size albeit with mixed results.

As with past devices, one key benefit of the sony is its open format. Neither the Barnes and Noble NOOK ebook reader nor the kindle support the industry standard EPUB format, but the sony does. This allows you to buy from many online ebook stores and even borrow ebooks from libraries (all of this is readily available in EPUB). It also gives you ready access to the entire googlebooks public-domain library.

The wireless access is decent, but is not a huge selling point for me. The wireless cannot be used as a web-browser and only accesses the sony ebookstore, which is just as easily accessed by computer with a USB cable (the way the previous sony devices operate). While it is nice to be able to order books without the hassle of being at your computer, I hoped that Sony would follow amazon's lead in allowing you to store not only your books but your annotations on the software via wireless syncing. In order to sync (thereby saving your annotations), you must still do it the old-fashioned way: with a USB cable.

One last "pro" needs to be noted about this stellar device: it comes with EVERYTHING! The PRS900 comes not with one, but two cases: a travel case and a leather case reminiscent of the kindle 1 case. [Contrary to a review below, the leather case removes from the sony daily edition; it "unhooks" from the notches on the back of the device.] It also comes with a charger that plugs into a wall outlet. And unlike the kindle 2 and the previous sony's, the battery for the PRS900 IS user-replaceable.

The only real "cons" that I can think of is that the books still tend to be more expensive for the sony (which lacks the pull with publishers of amazon or barnes and noble). Even with the ability to shop at multiple sources, sony readers will still often pay a few dollars more for their books. Another slight con is that while sony's customer service is decent, it is nowhere near amazon's first rate service. Lastly, I will caution that page turning is slightly awkward if you hold it in your right hand: the 'page turn' buttons are on the left of the device, and the touchscreen "forward page" swiping motion is a swipe to the left that is a bit awkward when one is holding and turning the page with the right hand. Small matter, though.

Conclusion: while I really wish sony would ease up on the price, this is simply the best ereader on the market. It does most of the things any other reader can do, but is still the only one to have a touch screen and the really awesome PDF capabilities. It is also the only reader to have the open file format, allowing the owner to get many files from many different sources. If you have the means, why not get the best reader out there?

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems in sunlight kill usability, April 4, 2010
Here are the things I liked the most:
2. Stylus is useful when using the touch screen, and you want to not use oily hands.
3. Pretty good pdf reader (though it had problems in zoom mode).
4. Portrait and landscape orientations, including 2 page view in landscape.
5. Screen, and reading experience is better than computer screen, with little eye fatigue. Not as good as a book though, this is probably because of lower contrast between text and background.
6. Extensible storage using SD card.
7. It has many other features like note taking on books, search, dictionary, a collection of memos, a collection for b&w pictures, an audio player.

Here are the negative issues that I encountered:
1. a. The pdf software has zoom mode, where you can slide to the zoom that suits you best. However in the zoom mode there are always 4 arrows and the zoom slider on the screen. This distracts from the text, and gives the ambiance of a "preview mode".
1. b. As I moved from page to page, the zoom shifted to smaller text size. It seems the zoom was remembered only at the page it was set.
2. The audio player can be played while reading. It froze at some stage, and the document also got stuck to the current view. I think this happened when using the zoom on pdf document.
3. I could not find a way to organize the audio into playlists. This could be because I did not use Sony software to transfer my audio files from the PC (instead used regular drag-and-drop).
4. The device is advertised to be readable in sunlight. However in direct sunlight, the ink thins out, making the text hard to read. This can be avoided by having the reader under a shadow. Simply resetting the page by the power button, or up/down page navigation restores the ink. But neither is a practical solution. Please see the customer photos for the sunlight issue.

As for the glare, the best lighting for the reader is bright and coming from one of the sides. The worst lighting position is from the top.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, I love it, February 22, 2010
Every e-book reader out there seems to be a compromise in one way or another. For me, the Sony PRS-900 is the best out there at the moment (Feb 2010).

* Why I like it:
It's very portable yet has a good sized screen. Memory card support and a user-replaceable battery. The built-in cover works well and will protect the screen. It even comes with an extra, very tough, hard case. The unit is elegant and fits in a large jacket pocket, just like a paperback would. The touch-screen was important to me since e-ink displays are slow: with the touch screen you can very quickly select a word to see the definition or make a note. The battery life is awesome: I charged it at the wall three weeks ago and I'm still at half charge. In the intervening time all it's had are a few very short top-ups when I've connected via USB to transfer books. I've been reading on it daily. The unit could well last the claimed two weeks under heavy reading.

Critical for me was the PDF support. I own a lot of books as PDF and this reader copes with most of them very well. In particular, the margin-cropping feature is key to improving readability. I find I don't use landscape mode very often but is nice to have it there.

* Screen:
If you read elsewhere about this device you will see a lot of comments about the screen glare. Glare originating from the touch screen reduces contrast slightly and creates reflections which can make it impossible to read in certain situations. What you need to know is that the glare will bother some people but not others. Personally, I find I can always angle the device to read comfortably and doing so doesn't bother me. You have to give the unit a fair chance under the conditions in which you normally read. My reader was on a 30 day trial (I bought from Sony) and after the first day I hated the screen and was considering returning it. Two days later I hardly noticed the screen glare. I've now had the unit for 3 weeks and I certainly wouldn't return it: it's advantages outweigh the screen glare issue. I have been able to read quite happily in all the conditions I'd normally read a paper book. This said, I would certainly prefer a screen without the glare and it is because of the glare that I subtract one star.

* User Interface:
Sony's PC software for interfacing with the reader is rubbish. I use the free "Calibre" instead. The software interface on the unit itself is easy to use but does have a few annoying quirks:
- When new books are added it strangely re-sets the ordering of previously read books (this may Calibre-related, however). The margin-clipping feature sometimes re-sets itself following certain user actions.
- When you press "back" from a book category page to return to the list of categories you are returned to the start of the category list, not the page containing the category you last viewed.
- Can't change fonts in epubs.
- Books are marked as "read" if you just open them once: why no option to mark as read yourself?
- There is no easy way to enter the dictionary from within a book view to look up a word not on the current page. You have to go back to the home page, click applications, click dictionary. You can also just look up a word on the page and then press "change" to look up a different word. Both ways are indirect.

* Book store via 3G:
This works fairly well but even with a high 3G signal strength it's terribly slow. Why not just add wifi? I find that about 30% of the time when I press a button on the book store page it appears to register it (button "depresses") but then nothing happens unless I press it a second or even third time. I have bought one or two books on it and the process is fairly painless although the first book did take several attempts to download.

One gripe: When you power off the 3G you are disconnected from the store and signed out from your account. Ok... So you connect to the store, you find a book that you like and click "add to wish list." But you find that you are no longer logged in... So you're sent to the login page and, having logged in, are not then passed to the wish list with you book added. Instead you return to the home page and have to enter the search again. This is annoying at the best of times and doubly so on a slow e-ink display.

* Conclusion
The screen glare is one issue. The other is the sloppy user interface. One doesn't interact with the UI much when reading a book and so I have decided to only subtract one star for the screen. Nonetheless, Sony needs pull up its socks regarding the UI. Sony, please release a firmware update to remedy the UI! I know I've listed a lot of problems with the PRS-900 but these don't really detract from the overall experience: I enjoy reading on it.

For the record, I tried out the Nook at B&N and didn't like it because it was very slow. I didn't buy a Kindle because the screen size is small compared to the size of the unit and the PDF abilities lag behind the Sony. The Kindle is more "closed" than the Sony, meaning it is awkward to get books from sources other than Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arguably the best e-book reader in the market!, August 22, 2010
Vidura Gamini Abhaya (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
I bought the Sony PRS-900 Daily Edition, after a month long research into what's available in the market. While there are some really great products out there I had a specific set of requirements that I used, to evaluate all the readers I considered.

My primary requirements in the order of importance were,

*) Support for PDFs (both single and two column PDFs as I read a lot of research papers especially in the two column format)
*) Portability - I wanted something that I could carry along easily in my backpack and read easily on the train on a flight and easily carry it anyway I need.
*) Annotation Feature - When I read especially research papers and technical documents I may want to make notes and I need to do it easily without spending an awful lot of time.
*) Price - My budget was limited but was willing to stretch it a wee-bit for a good product
*) Battery life - Most readers have descent battery life but this becomes important specially if you read PDFs as you may zoom into portions of an actual page on a document, reading one physical page on the e-reader with 5+ virtual page turns as a result of the cropped vision by the zoom.
*) Build quality - I wanted to be able to carry it without worrying too much in my backpack together with thick books and a laptop.

Although these are the requirements that I started off with, I built up a secondary set of requirements as I researched. They are in no particular order,

*) Ebook formats supported - I read fiction and non-fiction in my spare time a lot. Therefore I wanted the reader to support many widely used formats
*) Dictionary - I'd like to have a dictionary to lookup a word when needed and having one in the ereader also means that I'm carrying an electronic dictionary wherever I take the reader with me.
*) Shades of Grey - The more shades of grey the better a book looks (although some many not agree with me on this. Even simple text looks slightly better on a device with 16 levels of grey compared to 8 levels of grey). Some diagrams and photos on technical documents are rendered with more clarity with higher shades of grey.
*) USB charging - Being able to charge the reader up through a standard USB cable is a bonus especially when I travel as I don't need to take a power adapter with me.

With all these conditions I evaluated the Kindle's, Nook, iRex, Kobo, Sony's and every other possible reader available. Since I wanted a reader with annotation features, I filtered the list down to the ones having the feature either through a touchscreen or through a keyboard. However, I still kept the Kobo reader in my list as it was the easiest and the cheapest to buy in Australia (where I live). If you want to read a lot of PDFs, the 6" screens will definitely give you a hard time. Some readers like the Kobo reader does not allow you to increase the font sizes on a PDF, instead you could only use the zoom feature. Even on landscape mode, the 6" screens lack readability with PDFs. Therefore, I was tempted to buy a reader with a larger screen.

Having large screens make the devices physically large and if the device is the size of a A4 paper, it feels more like a magazine and to me, a reader of that size was lacking a bit of portability compared to a 6". However, the Sony PRS-900 is a 7.1" screen which was exactly the right size for my need. It's width is the same as the PRS-600 which is comparable to a paperback. It achieves the 7.1" screen with its longer length. PDFs look really great especially in the landscape mode and it gives me great readability even with a dual column PDF at the default text size. Moreover, the special features that makes the PRS-900 stands out as a great performer with PDFs is the ability to change text sizes on any PDF document and the built-in margin crop feature which increases the text sizes tremendously. I could easily read a single page of a dual column PDF on the landscape mode with 2 page turns. PRS-900 also has a 2-page view in landscape mode that allows you to quickly skim through a document or a book. All-in-all the PRS-900 is a great performer with PDFs.

With the annotation feature, I wanted to make simple notes either handwritten or typed on a document or a book. The important thing for me was the efficiency at which I could do this. Here I refer to the efficiency as the amount of time I spend in making a note rather than writing or typing speed. I'm sure the Kindles and the other devices with physical keyboards are easier to use. However, I hate the design of having a keyboard on such a small device. I liked Sony's design of making the most of the real-estate available for it's screen and achieving a small form-factor with the largest possible screen. I'm happy with the on screen keyboard where I could type something and even though it maybe slower than using a physical keyboard, it still does the job. I don't see myself using an ereader to type a letter or something long. I'm more than happy with using even a single finger on both hands to type on an on screen keyboard. On the PRS-900, the on screen keyboard works decently. I managed to type faster on it than the screen responses and still get all the letters in without any problems, even with the lag. I really like the annotation feature on the Sony models where I could use either the stylus or even my fingers to highlight or write something on screen on any page of a book or document. The only thing I can advise to anyone interested in this feature is that give a thought to both the types they come in, in ereaders. The Sony uses touch screens where its sensitive to any touch. There's also several devices based on Wacom tablets (BeBook Neo, iRex iLiad etc.), where the screen is only sensitive to a specialized stylus. I preferred the Sony's because I liked the fact that I could do page turns just swiping my finger on the screen from one side to the other. But I only realised one disadvantage of Sony's touch screen only after I received the product. When you do any annotation, if you're using the stylus (or your finger) you have to ensure other parts of your hand doesn't touch the screen. If you do the writing might be messed up due to that. I believe it's not the case with the Wacom based devices.

The battery life on the Sony PRS-900 is really great. It lasts for 12,000 page turns as per the specifications and that's a plenty compared to 7,000 - 10,000 page turns of the others. Equally important, I consider the user-replaceable battery a great feature, as on a bad battery I wouldn't have to send the device for repairs and spend a lot of money for the labour even if it's out of warranty.

The reader is built like a tank. With the quality of it's construction, I have no problem having it in a bag with other things like heavy books. It's screen does have a bit of glare compared to a reader without a touch screen. However, it is not as bad as it's reported. Personally, I've had no problems with it. Whenever there is a glare, you can easily tilt the reader a little to move it away from the screen. For most users, who simply would like to purchase and read books off an e-store might be a priority. In my case it wasn't. That was one reason I went for the PRS-900, even though the 3G coverage does not work in Australia. The PRS900BCKIT comes with some additional goodies such as a hard case that protects the reader well and a wall charger that charges it in 2.5 hours. All these makes it really worth for the price you pay for it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Screen kills it!, September 23, 2010
I very much Wanted to like this item. It's got the best options of any larger-screen reader on the market with its superb PDF support and user-changeable battery. But when I booted it up after the charging and such, I just couldn't read it. The contrast is horrid. I owned the PRS 300 and could read it just fine, but with this one (the PRS 900), the background screen is a dark grey instead of a very-near-white. The contrast makes it nearly unreadable unless I up the font so much that not many words fit on the page. I understand sacrificing a little bit of glare for the sake of touch screen, but making the screen actually difficult to read for the sake of it seems to defeat the purpose of a READer. I'm very disappointed in Sony =(.

Editing this review to add that in November of 2010 Sony will be releasing the PRS 950 at the price point of $299 supposedly. Those who have had a chance to get their hands on the 950 to review it say that they've totally resolved the glare and contrast problems they've had in the past with their touch screens. All of the readers are getting a remake in touch screen mode; the PRS 350 and 650 are already out, and I'll be keeping my eyes peeled WIDE for the 950 to hit shelves!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sony misses the main point, October 17, 2010
Sony Reader has lots of advantages like touch screen, taking notes, good re-flow of PDF and epub compatibility but the most important thing that Sony did not care about readability. It is even impossbile to read the screen outside because of the glare and the situation does not differ indoor. If the light is coming from different angels, maintaining the right angle for avoiding glare becomes a hard task and it distract my reading. I can not believe how the Sony company decided to put that item into market due to its obvious failure in th quality of reading. Ebook Readers are designed for reading, not for playing with the touchscreen that increases the glare.

I can only use my reader as long as I have just one source of light in the room which is not directed to the screen of the reader. Also the screen is very gray and much more dark than a standard page of a book. I wasted my money for that item, and it is just useless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre e-reader at best, September 28, 2010
I did a lot of research on ereaders before I chose the Sony PRS-900. I like the large 7" screen, format support, external memory slot, touchscreen capabilities (originally), and liked the look of the ereader. Unfortunately the one aspect of this reader that pushed me over the edge and made me choose it over other ereaders is what has led me to really dislike this reader. The touchscreen. It's nice to have a touchscreen and write notes. Unfortunately the touchscreen creates a horrible glare that makes the reader unusable indoors. Outdoors there is strong enough ambient light that the glare is either nonexistent or minimal Not so indoors. When I read indoors I can see my reflection in the screen. Barely moving the ereader from side to side is a distraction because of the moving reflections on the screen. Unless the wall behind where you're reading is a solid color, you'll be distracted by its reflection. The touchscreen capability and resultant glare takes away from the main purpose of this product - reading books.

Its too bad - the touchscreen is why I chose this reader over others and its the touchscreen's glare that has made me dislike this product. Please don't do what I did and underestimate all the reviews saying the glare is horrible. And I tried an anti-glare sheet over the display and it didn't work. Another $30 down the drain. Find a different ereader.

Also, lack of page turn buttons on the side of the reader would have been nice to have now that I've tried a friend's Kindle and can appreciate the side buttons. Also, the only wireless access you get with the PRS-900 is access to the Sony Bookstore. At least the Kindle let's you access webpages other than the Kindle Store.

Now that the Kindle isn't so ugly and comes in a nice graphite look, has really good contrast compared to this ereader, has quicker page turns and a UI that isn't so clunky, I'm changing to the Kindle. I'll just have to reconvert all my saved books to .mobi format which I'm not thrilled at doing, but at this point, I think the Kindle is the best e-reader out there so that's the direction I'm heading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great E-Reader, March 23, 2010
R Scott (Honolulu, HI USA) - See all my reviews
I made the move to E-books late 2008, in part because I travel and wanted to cut down on my luggage space and I'd just moved from a house into a condo and needed to clear up some living space. For perspective, I'm both a Star Trek & Star Wars fan - having collected first editions of every book published for both universes (and if you're a trekkie/treker, Yes, I mean that book and the other one, but not those books)...so I was making room by clearing up nearly 1500 hard & soft cover books; on top of that I also had a few other "series" which put my total up closer to 2000 books. An avid reader and collector...each of the books was like a child (some I'd had longer than my children) so it was tough giving them up...but as an avid reader and collector, once I made the tough move to e-books, I loved the portability, being able to take my entire collection with me on the road, and not worrying about someone spilling something on a book or it got creased in travel - having multiple backups safe at home.

I didn't jump into e-readers, instead opting for a Netbook because of the multifunctionality of the device...I quickly discovered that while the netbook was fine for reading books - it was ackward to hold and if you wanted to read while riding a stationary bike or walking on the treadmill, it just didn't make the grade.

I had a friend with a Kindle and while it was a good device (sorry Amazon) - to me it felt cheap, flimsy and to be honest, a bit ugly. My friend loved their Kindle, but I decided to look at other devices and when Barnes & Nobles started the ads for the Nook I took keen interest. Based on ads and discussion groups I'd went so far added the Nook to my cart a half-dozen times, each time deciding to take "one more look" at the Kindle or Sony Readers and finding a coworker who had both the Sony 505 & a 600 I got a chance to play with both of them - but I waited so long that I got caught up in the extensive delays on the Nook and in the end decided to wait until I could peck at one in my local BN.

Over about three weeks I tried nearly every ereader device I could get - and after elminating the Nook, the Kindle (sorry again Amazon) - I'd decided on the Sony PRS-600, even though I really wanted the PRS-900 but wasn't willing to pay the higher price. So, with a discount coupon that would knock off 10% from the price I went to the store to buy....only to arrive and find a stack (like 20) of returned 600's sitting on the shelf. According to the sells associate - they'd been returned for one reason or another (many had "wrong color" listed as a cause for return) and supposedly all had been tested and worked (many were still factory sealed). However - the stack gave me pause and though the price for the 900 was higher...it had been my first choice and when the associate kicked in a 2G SD card...I bought the 900.

I've used the 900 every day for over 2 weeks - and can't believe I didn't make the move to e-readers sooner; this device is great!!! I probably average 50 pages of a book a day and am still on my original charge (with only 1 bar down).

Like many people who hit and pass the big 40...my eyesight isn't what it was and the 7.1 inch screen allows me the flexibilty to setup the zoom without causing me to "flip" between too many extra pages. I've used the landscape mode, and about the only thing I'm using it for is some technical manuals I have that include larger "fold-out" type pages.

I've not had a problem with the wifi connection - I quickly setup and registered my device and just a easily downloaded two books...maybe because I'm use to internet speeds (or the lack of speed) while traveling outside the continental US, I don't see the connection speed as all that bad - of course it's not supposed to be a highspeed internet browser anyway and worked just fine for what it was designed to do.

I set up the touch screen and find it a useful tool - though I think if there had been a 900 touchless version I'd have been just as happy. However, having the ability to touch one of the visible books and have it open up to read makes it quick and easy to use.

The big plus, at least from my perspective is that the 900 doesn't have the feel of a toy. It doesn't feel like cheap plastic and when compared to the other devices seems much more solidily built. I'm not saying I'd do a drop-test with it, but it doesn't feel like it'll come apart in my hands either.

I only have a couple of "hmmmms" I should mention:

While I've used the device in multiple locations in varying degrees of light and haven't been bothered as some by the "glare," what I have noticed is that the lack of reading light means you have to buy a small lamp to use it while on an airplane (I find it most annoying when the person sitting beside me decides to share his/her reading light with me and a half dozen people around us...) or other low light conditions - but a small $5 lamp I picked up works just fine and actually came in useful for other things (like a power outage).

As mentioned, the device seems solid and well put together - however, the On/Off switch has stuck a couple of times - refusing to "click" back into the normal position. Might have been because I didn't catch it just right - and when the screen didn't go off, I tried again and it worked. Could be minor (new switches and all that) but it's something I'm watching.

Summing this review up - I'd have to say that if the device was $100 cheaper...I'd buy a handful more and gift them to some friends and family.

...oh and with the new ST movie out, I found good homes for all my books and haven't really regretted the move from paperback...not really. ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars PRS-900bc Daily Edition eReader, March 15, 2010
I purchased this reader after about two weeks of searching out the different makers and models. I have read that the Kindle has a better book selection--maybe in pay-for books, but not in total usable books. There are several sites where you can get books, for free and pay-for. The Kindle limits you ability to gather in some of these free gems. If you plan on using your eReader for "scholarly" pursuits as well as pleasure reading--you definitely want the Sony, if you just want an ereader because you like gadgets or whatever-buy any piece of junk you want to.

Now, the Sony does have a few issues:
1. The fully-charged battery only lasts for about 5 days when you use 4-6 hours a day.
2. The downloads for Sony's eReader library is entirely to fast at downloading and way to easy to use.
3. The included magnetically closed cover requires that the user close it to protect the screen. (This is very annoying as I think it should close itself.)
4. The fact that the automatic shut-off feature can be set to personal preferences is ridiculous. No reader should offer such conviences.
5. The memory-stick slot and the flash memory card slot on the Sony 900bc (which allows you to increase your memory capacity to, currently 32bg each, just about all you'll ever be able to use)should not be included as they make it so that you will probably never have to remove a book from your reader.
6. All joking aside--sometimes the screen does reflect (uhh-so alter the position of the reader by a mm or so), and the reader can take 30 to 45 seconds to connect to the eStore, you need to purchase a "kandle" light (its name, not a misspell) and place it on the right hand side about 1/3 of the way down to lite to screen in dark conditions, it is a little more expensive (?).

I guess that is about all folks. The Sony Reader daily Edition PRS-900bc is, in my opinion, the best of several good products. If you want and/or need an eReader, I don't believe you can go wrong with this one.

By the way, I bought mine from the Sony website for warranty purposes (use a credit card to double the manufactures). It is the same price but, the site is very good and offers alot of information.

UPDATE: March 25, 2010---After using the reader for awhile now I would like to add some things. I will admit that I do not own one of the other readers but I did research them and I cannot imagine one better than this. While I am reading a book I have the ability to take notes both, ON and OFF the page. I can hand write on this PRS-900bc. The note taking ability really does work great, I use the included stylus as a pencil, small around but easy to get used to, and I can write any thing I want to and save it. Margin notes, note taking, lists, whatever. This thing is great.
One thing though, get the Kandle that I mentioned above as this screen can definitely present problems in low light conditions. The Kandle fixed them, it isn't heavy either.
You do need to practice with the library program as it does so much that you need to work with it to get the full extent and use. Especially since I added a 16gb memory stick for added memory. Way less difficult than Microsoft word. Run with it. Good Luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars A high quality eBook reader, February 10, 2010
I had a Sony PRS-600 touch edition which I received as a surprise gift. I liked it fine, but was holding out for the larger-screen, G4-enabled PRS-Daily Reader edition. I am glad that I was easily able to sell the 600 on eBay and make the switch. This is an extremely well-constructed unit, very professional in every aspect; a nicely crafted aluminum frame around it. The size is much better than the 600 for PDF's, reading newspapers, etc. The download function from the Sony Book store is fast and trivial to use. Since this unit accepts many formats (but especially the now standard EPUB) you can easily shop around to one of numerous sites and download the book to your computer, and easily get it on the reader via. the Reader Library program and USB cable connection. I must admit my biggest problem with the 600 was the well-known glare issue of the touch screen, which is frankly easy to deal with in ambient lighting conditions. About the same level of light is needed for reading a paper book. NBD. However, night reading is an issue which I did not find especially satisfactory. The SONY lighted cover for the 600 was only barely acceptable, so I'm not going to chance it with the 900 version. I've ordered the "Kandle" light w/ hopes that will be satisfactory and will report later. I believe the screen on the 900 is perceptibly better than the 600; the availability of 16 vs. 8 grayscale tones really improves the image. The touch screen allows for a larger viewing area than the Kindle. Operation is intuitive in every aspect. I found the Nook awkward in every aspect. This unit has risen to the top of my pile. If I had the option to rate it 4.5 stars out of 5.0 that would be pretty much right on the money. (Sony: How about a visible clock on the screen for the next firmware update?)

ARRAY(0x9f9738c4)

Sony PRS900BCKIT Reader Daily Edition (Black)
Used & New from: $49.95