Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on January 10, 2013
This is the Sony CFD-S05 listed under a description rather than a name. I have had it for several weeks and it does exactly what I need it to. I have it sitting on my desk so that I can listen to a CD, tape (use Type I normal tape only) or the radio while I am working or moving around. I have used all three media and I love it. The sound is good, and all of the controls are on the front and are at my fingertips. I particularly like being able to set my CDs to repeat so that I don't need to be bothered pressing the "start" button unnecessarily. Since I am in a small space I don't play the unit loudly so am not concerned with the volume that it will crank out. The specifications sheet states that the CD player produces sound in the 20HZ to 20,000KHz range, but I am sure that the small speakers don't produce that range. However, you might get it from good headphones. Still, it is pleasant and more than acceptable. I have played a range of types of music on the CD player and listened to two hours of Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion on tape. I initially tried to play a decades-old cassette tape on it and found it difficult to close the tape player lid. However, I had no such problem with new tapes. A couple of things that could be improved include having the headphone input on the front of the unit, and having a larger indicator for the CD play mode (such as repeat, shuffle or random play) -- I need to use a magnifying glass to read the setting. However, I find this to be a good unit and heartily recommend it.
2626 comments| 379 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2013
I needed something that could pull in distant FM stations, play some of my many old cassette tapes, and of course, the occasional CD audio disc. Plus, I wanted something that did not sound tinny because of its small sized speakers. This unit fills the bill perfectly! I am very pleased with the sound quality and versatility of this Sony product. Thank you for offering it for a convenient sale.
0Comment| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2013
I have an 800 dollar stereo with a round table a cd player and cassette player.
But needing to make more room in the house, I decided to try a smaller version but was afraid of losing the quality of the tone, But this little baby does just fine. I can hear it all through the house while I clean. Love it.
0Comment| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2013
I was looking for a portable CD player for my dining room/kitchen area, and was thrilled to find a Sony product that included the radio, cassette player and ipod/mp3 player audio jack for this price. The quality and sound are excellent. It's easy to program and operate, and it looks great in any room.
0Comment| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2013
This Sony Portable Digital Turner was a Birthday present for my daughter. She was very pleased that it had not only a CD player, but also a tape cassette feature (she has a lot of tapes). She was very surprised that it also had an AM/FM Radio. The sound quality is excellent. The main reason I choose this Sony for my daughter is because over 7 years ago I was given a Sony with all these same features and have enjoyed it very much. The sound quality is just as good as the day I received it.
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2013
I purchased this to transfer info from old audio cassettes to my computer and then onto CDs. This was a good alternative to purchasing a very expensive machine that would do it in fewer steps. The sound from this unit is great. Once I'm done with my cassette project I will thoroughly enjoy playing CDs.
The only drawback is that there really aren't any directions for what I wanted to do. Thankfully, I have a very smart husband.
22 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2013
It has sharp, clear sound, even with headphones. Small enough to travel with yet large enough for a great sound. Very versatile, since it plays CD's, cassetes, and radio
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2013
This is the Sony CFD-S05 listed under a description rather than a name. I have had it for a couple of months and it does exactly what I need it to. I have it sitting on my desk so that I can listen to a CD, tape (use Type I normal tape only) or the radio while I am working or moving around. I have used all three media and I love it. The sound is good, and all of the controls are on the front and are at my fingertips. I particularly like being able to set my CDs to repeat so that I don't need to be bothered pressing the "start" button unnecessarily. Since I am in a small space I don't play the unit loudly so am not concerned with the volume that it will crank out. The specifications sheet states that the CD player produces sound in the 20HZ to 20,000KHz range, but I am sure that the small speakers don't produce that range. However, you might get it from good headphones. Still, it is pleasant and more than acceptable. I have played a range of types of music on the CD player and listened to two hours of Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion on tape. I initially tried to play a decades-old cassette tape on it and found it difficult to close the tape player lid. However, I had no such problem with new tapes. A couple of things that could be improved include having the headphone input on the front of the unit, and having a larger indicator for the CD play mode (such as repeat, shuffle or random play) -- I need to use a magnifying glass to read the setting. However, I find this to be a good unit and heartily recommend it.
on August 2, 2013
I love it and I think I will buy another one,...just to make sure I have one in the future if mine wear out and the ipods have taken over the market! Powerful bass,...and great volume. This unit plays CDs my old unit could not. My main purpose for buying it was for the CD player and the cassette recorder. I really could care less about the radio,...but it plays well too. I transfered many CDs to cassettes,and play them in my auto stereo system. POWERFUL! Get one.
on March 24, 2013
So far this player has yet to malfunction in any way since I haven;'t really listened to it much in the few days I have had it. The sound quality is poor, meaning hollow with no clarity. It sounds almost muddled. I don't know why people rate these pieces of garbage with a four star and claiming it sounds so good...it doesn't! Sounds like crap. I guess when you're used to knowing what true quality sound is, then the rest just sucks.

I will provide another update once I listen to it more often and try out the CD and tape portion more since that was the purpose of buying it. Not interested in the radio. One plus is that you can add a digital mp3 player to it. Other than that, and because of the poor sound that it gives, I give it 2 star.

Update: This boom box sounds flat. I tried different cds, tapes with equalized recording and it just sounds flat, NO BASS! NO CLARITY! Just muddle. After a few minutes of listening I felt I needed a hearing aide although my hearing is excellent. The sound may be suitable for most, but not for me. I enjoy listening to clarity not muffled sound. That defeats the purpose of playing CDs don't it? In my opinion it just plain sucks. I am giving it away and purchasing a real Sony boom box with some real sound like treble, mid-range and bass.