4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice!
Published 22 months ago by Tunes

3.0 out of 5 stars Head's Up!!! **** Updated ****
This is a lightweight, very portable unit. I had an old Sony DVD player and loved it. It had a swivel screen which I prefer, but can live without.

Published 16 months ago by BarbZ

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice!, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Sony 9" Portable DVD Player DVP-FX97 / DVPFX97 (Electronics)
After lots of online research, decided on the the FX 950 because it had a detachable battery and 2 headphone jacks. But when I had the opportunity to SEE and HEAR these 2 players side-by-side, the FX97 had a much crisper and vibrant picture quality as well as sound quality. So if these are your most important considerations, my recommendation is the FX97. If you're factoring in the other features, the picture and sound are very good on the FX950 - just down a notch from the FX97.

3.0 out of 5 stars Head's Up!!! **** Updated ****, August 22, 2013

I downgraded this, because the battery life is a joke! I can barely get through an hour and forty five minute movie. You should expect max battery life of 2.5 hours (... and since the entire power cord is 3'4" including the plug, watching plugged in is probably not an option.). If that's OK with you, then this unit shoud suffice, but I'm amazed that no one has mentioned this in their reviews. I only got confirmation after I asked via the question area that others are seeing the same thing.

The picture quality is terrific, but I don't yet know if this will play through a lengthy film. I'm going to test it to find out.

The controls are touch controls and are difficult to manipulate when you are playing the film (it's tough to see what's what, where my previous unit had individual buttons, so you you could easily find them). I would not buy a similarly configured unit without a remote.

I'm torn, owing to the picture quality, but I may return it.

**** Update 8/29/13 ****

I turned down brightness at the suggestion of another owner to see if it would improve battery life. I saw little, if any difference. I ran a two hour movie, and had very little battery life remaining.

**** Update 11/14/13 ****

Love the picture quality, hate the battery life! The light (low battery indicator) started flashing before the movie was done. I didn't think I'd be able to finish it, but did so by a very narrow margin. So... needless to say: no improvement! Otherwise, it's a nice device.

**** Update 12/4/13 ****

Having noticed that the price is now $149, I wanted to add that I paid around $90 for the device. At $149, I would not purchase the device. The combination of the clumsy to use touch controls and limited battery life make the $149 price not justifiable in my opinion.

**** Update 1/14/14 ****

I now use the device on the plug the majority of the time. I bought a long cord surge protector, so I am able to plug it in near where I watch my movies.

I wanted to reiterate that the touch controls drive me crazy! I'm constantly hitting the wrong one, and jumping the movie or doing something else I didn't intend to do. I am going to configure the remote and stop trying to use the device without it.

The picture is still gorgeous, though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, July 22, 2013
Great screen, great sound, and a great DVD player overall. I've used other brands, but this far exceeds my expectations. If you're looking for a nice reliable portable DVD player, look no further, this is the one you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, August 5, 2013
We bought this Sony player to replace another brand purchased at Wal-Mart.

Pros: The screen is bright enough for sunny car trips, and the sound can be ridiculously loud - plenty loud enough to overcome road noises at highway speeds, unlike the model we replaced. The screen has enough pixels to represent a DVD well, also unlike our old unit. The remote is like a full VCR remote instead of a cheap car stereo remote and takes common AA or AAA batteries. All of the controls are touch-sensitive and are on the top of the unit, so no remote required. It includes AC and DC power cables plus a semi-proprietary A/V out cable, but no carrying case.

Cons: The Sony player is surprisingly thick and bulky. It is fine for our use in a car or occasionally in a bedroom, but this isn't a small and light player for air travel. There are no A/V inputs for a game system.

I haven't tried out the battery. Overall, our daughter is very happy with it and I'm not disgusted with the picture. Win win!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sony Portable DVD Player DVP-FX97, October 29, 2013
This larger screen (9" vice 7") DVD player is a disappointment. The charging cord is extremely short (I just went to Radio Shack to get a longer one), and the (heat? touch?) buttons don't work easily (much like sink faucets nowadays). It also doesn't seem to hold a full four-hour charge like the previous one I purchased from Sony. What happened?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sony Quality, October 12, 2013
I wanted a small but excellent DVD player for my wife and I to enjoy classroom lectures on DVD during our meals. (Don't laugh. We've been married 50 years.) I wanted a make and model that would be quality. Obviously Sony came to mind. It has met all our expectations. Works like a charm, no problems. Before this, I had set up a laptop to do the same. Nothing but problems with the laptop, like eating the DVD and refusing to let go of it like a dog holding onto a chew bone. I'm too old for that nonsense. Love all the articulation / controls too. But, first and foremost the reliability. Recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery run time not as advertised., September 22, 2013
dave o. (st croix valley, mn, usa) - See all my reviews
For a unit as thick as this one is, it should be able to deliver its advertised battery life. It does not. The documentation specifies 4 hours of run time or two movies. In tests, the most that I was able to achieve was 3 hours and 20 minutes. The worst was when my grandson tried to watch a movie (Cars) and with a couple of stops - lid closed, it was not able to show more than 2/3 before it had to be put on the charger. Very disappointing for a Sony product. Image quality is excellent, sound adequate, but this is a *portable* player and as such, should live up to the battery run time advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Husband Loves it!, July 14, 2013
We got this for my husband for Father's Day- he is on the road a lot with limited wireless accessibility. This DVD player has allowed him to enjoy his DVDs on the road. He loves the high quality picture and sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars SONY DELIVERS MORE OFTEN THAN OTHERS, December 20, 2013
I received this product on Oct 16, 2013 and after using this product for nearly 2-months...I am pleased with the Sony product, as in times past. They do provide the consumer with good quality products. I would have given this product 5-stars, but it looks like Sony dropped the ball with the functions on the remote control. To this date, I have not discovered an on/off function for the remote, which almost renders it useless in my opinion. Okay...I can manipulate the player with the remote, but since I still need to get out of bed to turn off the DVD Player is just a bit rather distasteful to me. Other than that complaint...the product itself seems to be performing to the high quality SONY standards. If I need to update my review in the future, I will do so at that time. Maybe the on/off function is in an inconspicuous spot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware!, November 17, 2013
After about an hour of playtime it will start making a loud noise, then it keeps pausing itself. If I press on the cover where the DVD is, it will continue playing. If not, it keeps pausing then playing. I have had another Sony portable DVD player for over 2 years and never had a problem with it. Stay away from this model! I am very disappointed with it.