4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect
Published on May 4, 2010 by Wade Padgett

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Not As Good As The Bose SoundDock Portable !
I purchased the Sony RDP-XF100IP a couple of weeks ago and I really put it to the test !!!! I compared it along side of my Bose SoundDock Portable! I had read so many good things about the Sony RDP-XF100IP, and some even dared to compare it to the more costly Bose SoundDock Portable.

So how does the Sony RDP-XF100IP sound ? It sounds really good and for the...
Published on November 17, 2010 by Earl Stone

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect, May 4, 2010
Wade Padgett (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony RDPXF100IP 30-Pin iPhone/iPod Portable Speaker Dock (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I had agonized over the ideal dock for my iPod Touch with the stipulations that it had to be a reasonable size (I've lost some interest in big component systems.), and it would need at least an FM radio. While I've wanted to try HD radio, my understanding of availability in my area was that it could be if-y. So, good FM access would be fine. It seems like a small thing, but I'm legally blind and don't drive, so casual access to something like a car radio is fairly rare for me. My first, and most familiar, choice was a product that I had some familiarity with - the VERS system, with newer models incorporating a highly visible FM tuner. I had eventually tired of shipping delays for this device and gone to Best Buy to find the Sony.

Not only did the Sony dock have better sound than the VERS that I once owned, it was smaller, stylish and has the best receiving FM tuner that I've ever found in a portable or non-portable device. I've tended to live in older homes with older wiring and cloth wrapped interference bleeding electrical systems. The reception on the Sony dock is unlike any that I've ever owned, even with the convenient telescoping antenna in the stowed position. And the sound is rich and vibrant - certainly comparable to the similar Bose device that sports no FM tuner at twice the price.

The controls at the top of the dock are easily accessed and perform all of the functions found on the remote. As I noted above, I'm legally blind, but depend just enough on the tiny amount of eyesight that I do have to make use of digital displays. This one, unfortunately, and while not a deal-breaker, is terrible. It could be larger, though it's not unreasonably small. The problem is that it's abysmally dim - of almost no use to me. If this was an adjustable - and it wouldn't have hurt if it was larger - the dock would have received 5 stars from me.

In all, the RDP-XF100iP dock is not just a fine dock that does what I'd expect a dock to do, but is a nicely put together package that represents Sony quality first represented for me in my first Trinitron to my latest HD television. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compares with Bose, great product for the price., May 9, 2011
J. Pappan (Northern California) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I think this review comes down to one question, how does the Sony dock compare to the Bose SoundDock Portable? Here's my answer, based on a few days of testing.

I have a friend with the Bose dock, so I had a few days to mess around with that, so I've spent equal time with each unit. At the time of writing, the Bose rechargeable SoundDock was $359, and this Sony unit was just less than half the price. So the price tag has a huge margin, definite plus. Craftsmanship doesn't appear to be anything but top notch on both units. On the Sony, the actual dock recesses so it's flush with the unit... Bose does the same thing. The Sony has an FM tuner, Bose doesn't. The Sony's rechargeable battery pack can be replaced, and as far as I know, Bose does not offer that (at least to the average customer). Another minor pro with the sony, is that it has a small LED screen, forward facing, so it tells you what function you're using (FM, iPod), and volume... its nice to get positive feedback when changing the volume. The screen also tells you battery life remaining, or charging status. Bose doesn't offer that. Both have remotes, and are very easy to carry around due to small cutouts in the back for a nice grip.

Down to sound: The Bose has superior sound to the Sony, period. You're not going to get the same sound for half the price. Having said that, many of you may not notice the difference, or may find the difference negligible. In my experience with both, the Bose has a crisper sound; better highs, with comparable lows. The Sony seemed to put a lot of work into the lows, which sound great for a small box, but didn't clean up the high end as much. You audiophiles out there would describe both as having a LOTS of woofer frequency bass, with sub frequencies (60Hz and below) becoming inaudible. The Bose unit won't produce these either, FYI. You really need a powered sub for this. 30-60Hz are the frequencies that shake the room and make the good party songs sound GOOD. Both units will crank out volume... they will both play very loud, inside and outside. The reaction to turning on both units for the first time is, WOW.

Bose uses the same formula for all of its sound. Deep, clear lows, and bright, crisp highs. They don't leave much in the mid-range, and this frequency separation sounds good to most people. They did the same with the Bose dock. Sony puts a little more in the mid-range (a flat frequency response), and so you don't have that frequency separation, which make the sound seem "muddier", or not as clean in the high end. Which is truer sound? It depends on who you ask. The Sony does have built in EQ's if you want to take out that mid, and it does improve the sound a bit.

It comes down to this: if the Bose were rated a static 10 for sound, I would rate the Sony at 9. For all of the other options and features, including price, the Sony would be a static 10, and the Bose would be 8. At low volumes, you won't notice the sound difference. At high volumes, both units will produce very good music that will typically impress, rather than annoy. To someone with a decent ear, the Bose will sound slightly better. Is it almost $200 better? Not in my opinion. I chose the Sony and I'm pleased with my choice.

Based on the full package of quality, price, features, and sound, this product gets 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the Bose but a lot cheaper!!, August 6, 2010
I have an Ipod touch 3rd generation 32mb. I have been looking at several docking stations and the cheap ones sounded like cheap ones and the expensive ones (Bose) sound awesome but are 4 to 5 times the cost ($399). The Sony came out just recently and it definitely sounds just as good as the Bose and is at least $150 less expensive. The bass is full and deep and the highs are crystal clear even at high volumes. Besides a cheaper price, another bonus this has over the Bose is the FM tuner, which the Bose lacks. It is portable and the battery can easily run 6-7 hours straight. Bottom line is if you are willing to spend a little more for the Sony over the cheaper ones, you will not be disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Not As Good As The Bose SoundDock Portable !, November 17, 2010

So how does the Sony RDP-XF100IP sound ? It sounds really good and for the money and the size of the unit it sounds great! When I was in "Best Buy" I listened to the Logitech s715i and I compared it to the Sony RDP-XF100IP, the Sony won hands down, the Logitech s715i sounded a little tiny and weak compared it to the Sony RDP-XF100IP !

But still I can say that the Logitech s715i sounds better than any portable speaker it's size that I have ever heard ! As far as the Logitech s715i goes I would never buy that unit because when it is ran by battery power it cuts the bass in half and it also cuts the volume down, to me that is a deal breaker,but if the Logitech s715i gave me a choice to turn off the battery saver mode, I would buy it in a heartbeat !

I hate the fact that when you run some units by battery they automatically go into battery saver mode and then they cut the bass and volume way down "Harman Kardon's Go + Play" does the same thing and I hate it !

I used my mp3 player, playing the same songs, when I compared the Sony RDP-XF100IP sound to the Bose, I noticed at first that the Sony,s mid-range sounded a little colored, you might say a little dark or bass heavy, while the Bose sounded perfect. After I adjusted my mp3 player and removed some of the bass, the Sony sounded almost as good as the Bose, and with some songs just as good if not better. But I must say over all I think the Bose sounded just a little bit better !

But for half the price I think Sony did a really good job!
I also compared the over all volume of each speaker !
This is where Bose beats the Sony hands down !!!!

When I was indoors the Sony played reasonably loud but when I went outdoors around a lot of traffic, and playing the Sony at "Full Volume", the Sony got drowned out!!!

For some reason the Sony can't play really loud !
On the other hand the Bose can scream,I have taken my Bose around heavy traffic many times with no problem what so ever!
Matter of fact the Bose gets so loud until I'm afraid I might get in trouble for disturbing the peace !

If 10 was the loudest volume the Bose could play at , I would say in comparison, the Sony plays at about 6 1/2 to 7 !

Now lets talk about the Rechargeable lithium-ion Battery's !
The Sony comes with a very small Battery that fits inside of the unit, on the other hand the Bose has a very large Battery that fits on the back of the unit!

The Sony battery lasted less than 2 hours while playing at a high volume for the Sony !

On the other hand I have played the Bose for 5 and six hours "with battery power left over" at a louder volume than I played the Sony at for less than 2 hours!!!!
The Bose battery is far superior to the Sony's !!!!!!

The comparatively low volume and the weak battery life of the Sony was a deal breaker for me, so I returned the Sony !
But if you can put up with the volume of the Sony and the weak battery life you could save $200 !

You have to decide for yourself !

Now lets talk about the Bose a little more , I have owned the Bose SoundDock Portable for about a year now and it is without a doubt the best sounding portable speaker for it's size !!!!! There are a few larger portable speakers that sound a little bit better than the Bose when ran by AC ! To name a few that may sound a little better, Harman Kardon's Go + Play, Kicker iK501, Altec Lansing iMT800, Bowers & Wilkins'Zeppelin, iPod Hi-Fi, Altec Lansing inMotion iM7 !

What do all of those speakers have in common? They are all much larger than the Bose, about twice as large!!!! None of them run on a long lasting Rechargeable lithium-ion Battery like the Bose does !

Bottom line is Bose is the Best "Pound per Pound" battery powered portable speaker system for it's size !!!! I have the Harman Kardon's Go + Play, I had the Altec Lansing inMotion iM7,the Sony RDP-XF100IP, plus I have many others and I can't find a small "around 5.2 pounds" speaker system for any price that beats the Bose !!!

I don't want to carry around a unit that is larger or heaver than the Bose SoundDock Portable, so if you think you know of a "Better" Battery Powered Portable Speaker System that weighs around the same or less than the Bose with the battery included, please let me know, I don't think one exists at this time !

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats the Bose, September 8, 2010
I compared this radio to the one from Bose that lists for $399 at Best Buy. I wanted a unit that had an internal rechargeable battery, remote, and the ability to have high volume without distortion. The Sony delivers on all three for $150 less. Plus, the Sony has a fm radio built in and the rechargeable battery can be replaced unlike the Bose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony RDP-XF100IP - Just right!, December 28, 2010
I narrowed my choice of iPod/iPhone speaker docking stations to the Logitech S715i, the Bose SoundDock Portable, and the Sony RDP-XF100IP.

The Logitech S715i has gotten good reviews and is $85.00 less than the Sony (sale prices), but my iPhone 4, with the Apple Bumper Case, would not dock unless the case was removed. That's a deal breaker for me, and I suspect it's a feature that's over-looked by too many users. Do you really want to remove your case each time you dock your iPhone/iPod?

The Bose SoundDock Portable sounds great, and accommodates the iPhone with the bumper case on, but it cost $160 more than the Sony, with less features (no built-in radio, no equalizer).

So like Goldilocks, I finally chose the Sony RDP-XF100IP. It was just right. The price is reasonable, the sound is great (almost as good as the Bose, maybe equivalent), and my iPhone 4 connects to the dock with the Apple Bumper Case installed.

One reviewer made the comment that the Sony is not compatible with the iPhone 4. I don't understand why he said that - I've used my iPhone 4 with the RDP-XF100IP numerous times for many hours, and it's worked perfectly each time.

In addition, the remote control is fully functional (not all remotes can claim this); the dock runs several hours on it's lithium-ion rechargeable battery, and the built-in radio tuner has good reception.

I highly recommend this speaker docking station.

5.0 out of 5 stars sony rdp-xf100ip great for outdoor/indoor use, July 14, 2010
I was looking for the ipod version of the 1980's boom box of my younger days for bicycle rides with friends here in Iowa. Weight and dimensions are considerations. I bought the Sony from my local best-buy after having listened to the Bose sound-dock portable (great but too pricey at $400), several models of inmotion Altec, Logitech pure-fi and a few competitors. all but the Sony (and the Bose) had sound that was either muddled, lacking power, or lacking bass or lacking high frequencies. The Sony comes very close to the Bose, nearly as crisp and very good overall. I also checked out boom-boxes by Sony and others which were too bulky and heavy for a bicycle handlebar rack. I finally looked into the JBL portable speakers which were a bit too small and lacking power for the great outdoor (3 watts only). Best-buy did not have the latter so I could not compare their sound quality. ilounge is very positive about the JBL portable speakers and Altec inmotion products. The focus with ilounge is probably more on indoor use (my guess).

The pros:
The Sony rdp sound with solid bass and good mid-range and highs. It blasts quality sound like a much larger boom box (20 watts of power help).
The Sony has 5 equalizer settings from flat to jazz, etc.
The rechargeable battery feature (just plug it at night between two rides and everything is recharging (ipod and sony battery). I have not yet checked how long the battery lasts but it is supposed to be around 7 hours.
The unit is small enough to fit between the handlebars in a basket.
The remote works very well and has most of the ipod functionality with menu choice (menu then arrow up/down instead of the dial motion) etc.
The unit is light (4 lbs with the ipod classic docked and without the power adapter). Amazon says 8 lbs but that must be for shipment.
The instructions manual is simple and short.
The Sony has a on/off switch on the unit itself unlike the Bose which is handy to make sure the battery is not being drained when not in use.
The unit sounds great inside of course and I found myself using it around the house instead of the larger home stereo system.

The con: The only minor drawbacks so far are that
1. you have to be facing the unit or be on the top right of it from the back for the remote signals to be picked up by the unit.
2. Led controls cannot be seen in daylight outside unless you are in a shady area.
3. I added velcro tape to the back of my ipod classic to secure the ipod against the unit during rides. the docking base pivots to be flushed in the unit when not in use and it feels a bit flimsy, hence the velcro.

The known unknown:
How long will the battery last before withering? A new battery has to be ordered from Sony according to the manual.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive Paperweight, July 31, 2011
Died after less than one year - displays "error" then shuts down. Sony says there is no way to reset it. I enjoyed it while it worked but bought this after having poor luck with Sony products and with some reservations - will not make this mistake again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with iPhone 4, October 28, 2010
Sounds good and works well with iPhone 4 in spite of "non compatible message" first time plugged in iPhone. Noce capacitive touch control layout and it does charge the iPhone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Budget Audiophile Perfection-need 6 stars ******, September 13, 2010
Toad S. Hopper (High Springs, FL) - See all my reviews
Went to Costco today and saw a bunch of ipod docks that my wife wanted to carry around on her ipod to listen to [...] books while she works with out headphones. Tried the various ones there but really wanted to go to Best Buy to really check them out. We saw the tiny Octiv. Asked if we could check out and the Best Buy guys were right there. Not like the Circuit City guys who would have been out front on the perpetual smoke breaks but you know where they are now. Anyway the Octiv did not work so we started to look around-of course played with the Bose Sound Dock and wow-what a sound. The one we wanted was 399 but had no FM radio, not a problem if you have wifi or a 3G signal to stream radio off the net. Saw the Sony and could not believe the quality of sound..It is as good as the Bose. We got it on sale even and paid 199 for the last one in the store and I know why now. I hooked it up to my old Sony TV the bedroom one, small screen with one speaker. We have been listening to it for 11 years. I ran a mini jack wire from the headset jack on the TV to the Aux input on the Sony and hit the top button for Aux input. ZOMGWTFBBQ (kid talk for it's wonderful) I flipped through to the 2012 movie and it was like being at the movie theater. Wow what sound, sonic rumblings and earthquakes were like totally amazing. Next was Dexter, I had never heard the show like that. It's like getting a new TV. Whats next for us a flat screen? Anyway the unit is well built and it has the Sony presets for sound adjustment-Rock-vocal-flat and Jazz-they do make a difference, you only have to slightly touch the button not mash it. Ipod sound is great and you have some control of the ipod from the top of the unit or from the small included remote. I have gotten at least 6 hours of play from the battery and it was still going. This is worth buying. For such a small unit the range and tonality are great. I am very happy so far with this purchase. The FM radio reception is also amazing even with the included built in antenna not extended. Radio set up is a little clunky to tune but the sound is not. I have a Bang and Olufsen unit and this sounds very close at 1/25 the price.

Rate and Discover Movies