5.0 out of 5 stars Best Deal You'll Find
This Sony unit is absolutely a delight. I would stack it up against my Velodyne any day of the week. Having been an audiophile for 30+ Years and a Home Theater nut since before they invented the term, I've gone thru a lot of equipment over the years.

Published on August 2, 2006 by Your Uncle Willie

3.0 out of 5 stars Have 2 of these. One is dead the other is fine.
**Update: I recently repaired the non-working sub. The amplifier IC went out. I read a post somewhere that this has been an issue on some units. Only cost me $34 shipped for the IC. Some de/re-soldering and it was good to go.

Published on January 20, 2007 by usaf_drew

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Deal You'll Find, August 2, 2006
This review is from: Sony SA-WM500 150 Watt Active Subwoofer (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

This unit produces smooth, clean and tight bass, period. I would disagree with some of the other reviews in that I find this unit to be both a great movie sub as well as a great music sub. The only thing I could even ding it on at all would be the exposed back, which is kinda ugly but as long as you place it near a wall, it's mostly hidden.

When I installed this in my almost completed basement home theater, I needed to run my system for several hours in order to break in the other speakers...let me just say that at moderate volume, as my wife and I sat upstairs and watched a movie on our family room system, I would at times hear a low rumble that sounded to me like thunder outside. I finally realized it was the Sony downstairs doing it's job. Yes, it's that good.

Don't debate it..for a buck fifty, it's a deal and a half. I'm seriously thinking about another for a matched left and right pair.

I will also add that in most cases, a sub does not need to cost mega money if you get a quality unit. Although there are plenty of golden ears out there that would disagree, I find that the low frequency is the least likely area where a user will find big differences from one sub to the next. That being said, you don't want a "one note sub" and the Sony is certainly NOT that. Bass notes are easily distinguished.

Have fun, enjoy your sound system and don't agonize over this purchase. Uncle Willie

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - Value and quality in one package, December 23, 2005
Jon Byrom (Layton, Utah, US) - See all my reviews
This is a very impressive active-subwoofer that proves you can get more than what you pay for. I had some unanswered questions when I purchased the Sony but now am glad I bought it; I hope this review helps anyone who has the same concerns. I added the Sony SAWM500 to compliment my home theater system consisting of a Panasonic Receiver pushing 100 watts per channel, ESS AMT 1D (Pyramid) main speakers, Bose VCS-10 Center-channel, and Bose Model 100 Rear Surround speakers. The Sony completely altered the character of surround sound and music - adding a near subterraneous level of bass that simply wasn't being reproduced before. The Sony is so powerful that I set the cut-off a little under 100 hz and output power level only about 25 percent, thus adding only the low, rumbling, air-thumping bass that doesn't muddy up that of the existing system but created an added spaciousness not previously experienced. The SAWM500 excels at increasing the lower end depth of the spectrum with incredible ease yet allows me to tweak it ad-infinitum (so-to-speak) to my own personal taste. Not boxy or muddy. Confirmed it will rattle anything that isn't tied down in your house - if you want it to. I haven't noticed any delays in response while in the auto mode,as some other reviewers noted; but if that's a concern then consider leaving the auto switch in the "on" position and plug the Sony into a switched outlet or power strip that you turn on when using your system. The good thing about the Sony is that it enables such flexibility; well designed, compact, attractive and worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars after some simple modifications, November 1, 2006
Didn't purchase this unit at amazon, but found one on Ebay for a song and just couldn't resist purchasing it.

First off, I am not a home audio nor bass expert, this review is based upon one amateur afficionado's experience with the sony SA-WM500. The first thing i couldn't help but notice was how the unit's enclosure vibrated, whether on carpet or tile floor, it didn't make a difference. Information i found online led me to believe that these vibrations color the sound in a negative way. If you were to place a wineglass on top of the sub it would vibrate noticeably, and knocking on the top and sides produced that characteristic "hollow" sound, all clues that the box wasn't reinforced enough internally. So personally what i did next was open up the unit by removing the speaker and began to reinforce the inside of the sub with 6 sturdy but thin dowel rods, cut to fit. I wedged two of them horizontally and two vertically and then wedged the other two from the front to the back of the enclosure. I then added a little polyfill stuffing to the inside walls and corners since this can further enhance sound quality. The manufacturer had added some polyfill already but only a strip in the back and bottom of the box. In case anyone is curious the box is built with 3/4" mdf and the port is located in the bottom rear, so placing the back end too close to a bare wall or corner would "normally" not be recommended.

The result of the modifications? Nothing short of spectacular. It sounds like a different subwoofer, very little box vibration, much less booom, sharper and more detailed bass. My next big improvement came with better room placement, which is necessary to help even out bass frequencies throughout the room and to further avoid boominess. For just $7 worth of modification materials and little labor i ended up with a subwoofer that i really enjoy listening to.

Edit: Still have this subwoofer, I've since moved it into the my basement theater room but it still gets used at least 4 days a week. I rarely turn the bass up to ear bleed levels but i do tend to keep the volume moderate to high. I'm surprised the amp hasn't gone defective after all this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completed my system, March 17, 2005
I bought a Sony home theater system with a passive subwoofer and it just wasn't enough bass for me. I added this subwoofer and it did complete my system. It actually delivers all of what is promised in the item description. My speaker stands did not arrive yet and I have my front speakers on the top of the entertainment center. With the sub at full power it was vibrating my speakers off the entertainment center. If you love music and movies I would not hesitate to recommend this subwoofer. I have not tried all of the subs, but this one delivers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Have 2 of these. One is dead the other is fine., January 20, 2007

I had two of these subs, but recently one decided to not power up. I took them both apart and swapped the woofers. Woofers worked fine. Then checked the bad one's amp for signs of burnt or loose electronic components. None. So I would guess one of the solid-state components just failed. What a waste of a good sub. The other works great though. That's why I give it 3 stars out of 5.

But this is a great subwoofer to have for a medium to large sized room. I had 2 of them in my living room on the LFE channel of my 5.1 receiver. They made awsome bass in movies when tuned right. One of them really didn't do the trick. I ran them through a bass frequency test CD and they performed the best around 40Hz range, but went down to 30Hz.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good bass, not so good response., January 29, 2006
This sub hits hard, but it leaves me desiring more control in the high bass areas of a movie. I was watching Star Wars III and the scenes in space when a massive ship would come by sounded bad. I do have a high quality monster cable (which greatly improved the sound) but it is still lacking the good sounding bass. The ships flying by hurt my ears more than pleased. The sub sounds great with explosions, but when there is a constant bass sound, it isn't as clear as I would like.

If you are looking for a sub to give you a lot of bang for the buck, this is perfect. I love it, but I know what to look for now when I go to upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent subwoofer., November 3, 2006
This sub costs around $150 from most stores. It sounds as good as or better than most subs costing over $500. For our normal listening use, it is much more than needed. I would have gotten the SA-WM250 if it had had the auto turn on feature. There are better subs out there but I have heard none close to this one for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turn Up the Bass!, November 7, 2006
O. Pomakov (Buffalo, New York) - See all my reviews
Wow, this is a lot of bass.

When I had all the controls on my Receiver set, I turned this baby to about 1/4 of the total bass level and I saw all my pictures on the wall vibrate, and I could hear my oven that must have been about 20 feet away vibrate with the beats of the song! The sound is so clear, some of the noises it outputs, I have never heard before in the songs I listened to.

In movies,(especially action movies), my house shook and I was worried about waking up my neighbors. I think that there is no reason going to the full 250 watts when you can't even use the full level with this one!

Overall, good buy. only problem is that I don't get the little switch in the middle called "Phase"

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock the house, March 3, 2006
S. A. Smith (Fairfield, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This is my first subwoofer, and so far, I think it's fantastic. The LFEs really come through on DVDs now. It's about half felt, half heard. I have the level set to about one third. I think it could hurt me if it wanted to.

I wanted a 12", front-firing sub, and this is the most reasonably-priced one I could find. It's easy to setup, has lots of adjustments, and is a Sony! Which means you probably love it or hate for that reason alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Sub! With repair info, January 24, 2014
Had this thing for ten years with no real problems then it croaked. The final as stated before was shorted. The following info is try at your own risk there is high voltage inside this device. If you don't know what you are doing then don't mess with it.
The original is obsolete so here is the new replacment STK404-140N-E and you can get it through mouser electronics.

Cheap fix and also C706 was bad and needed replaced as well and is on the same board as the final. You should have less than 20 bucks in the fix on this great sub.

When you first turn it on you should hear one relay click then 5 seconds later you should here another click. If you don't hear that second click most likely your final is bad.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›