5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good to Excellent Lens
Lens was examined with SLT-A57. Surprisingly this is a decent lens.
- It's body is plastic with a metal mount and it is Made in Japan.
- It covers the 27-200mm range for Sony's APS-C 1.5x crop factor on the SLT-A37/57/65/77.
- The zoom ring is smooth and barrel did not slide open when pointed down.
- The focus ring is free turning since it is made for...
Published on August 9, 2012 by AG

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Published on October 30, 2012 by david costa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good to Excellent Lens, August 9, 2012
This review is from: Sony SAL18135 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens (Electronics)
Lens was examined with SLT-A57. Surprisingly this is a decent lens.
- It's body is plastic with a metal mount and it is Made in Japan.
- The zoom ring is smooth and barrel did not slide open when pointed down.
- The focus ring is free turning since it is made for direct manual focus, but there is no distance scale.
- Autofocus is fast and quiet, close to the 16-50mm f/2.8.

Compared to the Sony 16-105mm:
Tt appeared that the 18-135mm had more distortion on the wide end, but perhaps that had to do with in-body correction.
The resolution compared well at the other focal lengths. I didn't pixel peep, but jpegs looked sharp on both lenses.
I didn't see any noticeable fringing. The 18-135 seems a bit larger in diameter, but lighter and keeps the 62mm filter size.
If you don't have the 16-105, then this is a lower price alternative although you trade the 24mm equivalent perspective for 27mm.
After seeing this lens, the 16-105mm isn't good enough to justify the price any more.

Compared to the Sony 18-250, this lens beats that one optically, AF, and in build quality. There is no question.

In video mode on the A57, this lens beats both 16-105 and 18-250 with faster quieter AF and smooth zoom.

The lens design is very improved and provides an excellent general purpose focal range kit for Sony's SLT Alpha line.
Even though I mostly use Canon, I've never tried the EF-S 18-135 to provide a comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well exceed my expectation, September 5, 2012
This review is from: Sony SAL18135 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens (Electronics)
Wasn't sure this long zoom lens would deliver the image quality that I like. First, coming from Canon DSLR with multiple lenses, 17-85mm, 24-105mm, 50mm F1.8, 85mm F1.8, 70-200mm F4. I was totally sold on Sony system when I purchased NEX-5N with 18-55mm kit lens last November. The image quality produced by the camera surpassed all my Canon set up, especially at 18-45mm range. At 55mm, the lense is some what soft. Later I bought a Sigma 30mm lens, which is a super sharp lens.

Since Nex-5N does not come with viewfinder, I found myself miss it very much. Since I don't like the imge quality of Nex-7 as much as Nex-5N(softer at 24M), and it also costs $600 more, it is ruled out early. In the meantime Sony is also coming out with Nex-6 soon, with 16M and viewfinder. Not sure its selling price at release time, but adding a walk around lens with more reach than 18-55mm leaves no choice but Sony or Tamron 18-200mm, it alone costs about $800.

Luckly saw Sony A57 and 18-135mm combo on Amazon, at price that is just little more than a nex lens alone. Ordered it and tested it. The result is that image quality with 18-135mm even surpasses NEX-5N at 18-55mm, sharp, contrast and artifact free. The image quality at 30mm is very close to Sigma 30mm. This has been a nice surprise and total joy for me. I do recommend it without any reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a NICE lens, September 9, 2012
This review is from: Sony SAL18135 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens (Electronics)
I used this to photograph a friend's wedding. I am very happy that I bought it. The photos came out great and the zoom range (18-135) was perfect. Not too skimpy, not too large. Just right. The lens is substantial. Does not have that "cheap" feeling that some other lenses (including some SONY models) have. To top it off, it was MADE in JAPAN - Bravo! I think Japanese optics are the best. I don't know if all copies of this model are made in the same factory, but mine was made in Japan. I recommend getting a 62mm UV filter to protect the front of this valuable investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST lens for the Sony A77! :), March 30, 2013
This review is from: Sony SAL18135 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens (Electronics)
I love this lens, this is my "go-to" lens
and my "walk around" lens.
First of, its one of the few Alpha lens that
is made in Japan. The Quailty is there, and I like that
it matches the black finish of my Sony A77. Unlike other
lenses I've tried, this one balances very well with the
Magnesium alloy body of the A77. (not heavy, not light either-just right!)
I'm a hobby photographer, and this lens well exceeded my expectations.
I'm also very amazed of how QUIET the SAM motor is compared to the
SAL 18-250 lens. This translates to a very usable lens for video using AF or Manual mode.
I also like the fact that you can go from AF to Manual focus without
using the switch, by simply adjusting the lens focus ring.(not a lot of lenses have this feature)

4.0 out of 5 stars thinking about reselling, February 21, 2013
This review is from: Sony SAL18135 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens (Electronics)
The lens has a nice feel. Sam II auto focus is still a little noisy and wants to hunt unless in bright sunlight.
Thought it would be sharper than my Sigma 18-250 HSM but it is not. Will stick with the Sigma as the IQ
is as good as the sony 18-135, it has more range and the auto focus is much better,faster and pretty quiet.
But the 18-135 is a good lens if you don't have any thing other than a OEM 18-55

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - should be about 4.7 stars, September 1, 2013
This review is from: Sony SAL18135 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens (Electronics)
This lens comes close to rating 5 stars for anything except professional landscape scenes on full frame cameras. I was lucky enoughto get a good used copy on Amazon. It's as sharp as the best of them in the center and along the sides (camera in landscape orientation) of the image. Only the corners are slightly soft if you "pixel peep" at 100% magnification, but in normal use this will never be noticed. It focuses much more quickly and easily than my Sony Zeiss 16-80Z lens or the Sony 55-210 E mount lens I had (and returned). Colors and contrast are excellent. It has no internal image stabilization, but that's not a serious limitation unless you feel the need to hand-hold the lens at shutter speeds "slower than the focal length". For shutter speeds equal to the focal length (example - focal length 100mm, shutter speed 1/100th second), I can hand-hold this lens and get sharp images reliably. I'll be 80 years old in a few weeks, so if I can hand hold it, so can you. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for an A57 over the kit lens....wow what a difference...., February 21, 2013
T. Hawkes (Salt Lake City, Utah) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony SAL18135 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens (Electronics)
I got this at Christmas time when Sony and Amazon were offering this lens for an extra $200 compared to buying the A57 camera with the kit lens. I'm so glad I did. The extra money was well spent. I can make this comparison because I had spent a lot of time playing around with the kit lens at my local camera store (I brought in my own memory card and I took lots of pictures in the shop and then went home and looked at them). I was happy with the camera with kit lens, but not ecstatic. So, I did some research. I fairly quickly found that this lens gets much better reviews as well as offering more zoom range. I think its very nicely made and sized, and overall fits the camera well. Put together the camera and lens seem to be a perfect match.

By the way, I also bought Sony's 50mm f/1.8 prime lens (a real bargain at $150) which I think is very nice supplement to this lens because it is both brighter (i.e., for shooting in low light without flash) and is somewhat sharper than this zoom lens when set to 50mm. In summary, if I had to do it all over again, I would not hesitate to spend the extra money to buy this 18-135mm lens over the kit lens. I decided to buy an A57 over both the A37 and A65 because I felt the 57 has the best feature set at the best price (i.e., best overall value for $750). This step-up lens really helps the A57 to show off its capabilities. Buy one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great focal length, December 10, 2012
This review is from: Sony SAL18135 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens (Electronics)
This is a great little lens, good bokeh at the long end, perfect match to the little a65 when I don't want to lug ZA and a99. This replace the 18-250 and 16-80ZA, This lens along with the fantastic little 35/1.8 and a65 is my lightweight kit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, October 30, 2012
This review is from: Sony SAL18135 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens (Electronics)
This lens had very few reviews as it is quite new. I bought it for its focal range, and Sonys track record with optics, for use on my A77. Unfortunately, this lens is very soft at mid and long telephoto ranges. It does give relatively sharp images at wider angles, and when taking images of things within 40 to 50 feet. I ended up getting rid of it, and purchasing two mid 80s Minolta lenses. The Minolta lenses are superb, and give tack sharp images across the frame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice and Useful Lens, October 4, 2013
This review is from: Sony SAL18135 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens (Electronics)
I bought this lens for my a65 Sony camera.
I had previously used the stock 18-55 and 35mm + 50mm primes for this range (the primes are sweeeet!).
A year earlier I splurged on a 70-300G lens, and was happy with the hefty lens and its 62mm filter size.
The G lens was purchased to get rid of CA and purple fringing with the cheaper telephoto lens, and it worked.
The 18-135 was purchased just 'cause I could, and I have been very happy.
Lens is sharp, colors are rich, lens range is very useful for me on APS-C.
The one surprise is that it seems (to my eyes) that the 18mm end gives a wider angle than what I was getting with the stock 18-55 lens. Maybe an illusion, but an unexpected plus!
If I had just purchased the G lens, and this lens, I would probably have been happy and saved a bunch of money!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›