5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome lens!!!
Short version: This is a great lens... very well made, effective, versatile, and performs impressively. A great investment for anyone wanting a lens that really can 'do it all'.

Published on January 21, 2008 by Bazuro

3.0 out of 5 stars Very practical lens, if it wasn't for purple fringing and zoom creep
My wife and I used this lens with pleasure for several months at the beginning of 2010, riight into the summer, on a Sony A100, A300 and A330. We didn't know what purple fringing (CA) was and didn't know about many other image quality aspects either, so we didn't look too closely. But you learn and get to be more demanding. Somewhere in the summer I was trying to...
Published on January 13, 2011 by MVesseur

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome lens!!!, January 21, 2008
Bazuro (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sony SAL18250 Alpha DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 High Magnification Zoom Lens (Electronics)

Long version: I got this lens as an upgrade from my original Sony 18-55 lens, since I wanted a lens with a little more zoom capability (and some close-up as well) without having to switch back and forth between the 18-55 for wide angle and a bulky telephoto for higher zoom.

I was worried a little bit by reviews of the similar Tamron 18-250 lens because some reviewers claimed it had slower focus times and zoom slip.

Well, with this lens, I've not noticed any difference in focusing speed or had any problem with the zoom slipping; the zoom itself is tight and the autofocus is spot-on (I have mediocre eyesight, so AF is pretty important for me). Colors are vibrant, the view is clear... everything is good with this lens so far. I'm very pleased and not at all remorseful about dropping the cash for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but not magic., May 3, 2008
I've only had a chance to take a few hundred shots with this lens so far, but I'm fairly impressed. It's an excellent zoom lens considering the large range it covers; making it a very good "all-purpose" lens. It's clearly better than the kit lens in their overlapping range, focuses pretty quick, and offers much greater zoom, but there's still some noticeable barrel distortion at 18 to 21mm or so, and some softness and light loss at the tele end as expected. You can definately beat this lens with the right smaller range lenses or primes, but you'll pay a LOT more and have more to carry around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best superzoom for Alpha series cameras (APS-C), May 12, 2011
I was initially torn between buying this lens with an A55, or buying the 18-55 mm standard kit lens and having a little bit less flexibility but a lot less weight. Although the weight is sometimes a burden, I certainly appreciate the 14 X zoom range, from moderate wide-angle to pretty decent telephoto without having to change lenses. I haven't seen a lot of problems with chromatic aberration, but I haven't shot too many exposures with the lens all the way out (largely because its just too soft there). These long range zoom lenses are always compromises between the convenience of having such a wide range of focal lengths, vs. the sharpness and accuracy of a single focal length lens. Overall, and on balance, I highly recommend this lens to people who value not changing lenses (nothing worse than missing a great shot while you're fiddling with your equipment). If you are thinking about getting this, I recommend getting it with the camera and saving some major money over buying it later. At $599 (list), it's not cheap. Its effective cost when bought with the A55 camera body is a lot less (~$300) - this is a great deal (typically $1050 for this lens and the A55). See great review at Imaging Resource for details on sharpness, CA etc. That review suggests that it is a major improvement on its predecessor (the 18-200 mm), and generally pretty sharp for this type of lens.

Pro:

1) 14 x range from moderate wide angle to moderate telephoto makes this a very convenient package
2) good but not great sharpness, esp. if stopped down a bit (f5.6 up to about f8/f11 where it reaches its max sharpness), and particularly sharp at wider angles for a large zoom
3) good build quality and solid construction - won't compete with G series pro lenses, but still quite well made and good value
4) fast focusing (at least for big lens)
5) Not bad CA, distortion and vignetting (UPDATE - when used with the A77 or A65, these are effectively removed by the firmware-based corrections, which are quite effective in cancelling out CA, and corner shading effects are virtually eliminated too. (See my review of the Alpha 65

Con:

1) Not impressive sharpness at telephoto end - wouldn't recommend if you plan on shooting a lot there (120-250mm), even stopped down
2) Some troubles with chromatic aberration, esp. again at telephoto end (but again virtually eliminated by A65/A77 firmware)
3) Heavy (might overwhelm small, light camera bodies like the A55/A33/A33 - works better with bigger bodies like A65 and up)
4) Wish it traded some of its reach at the telephoto end for going down to 16 mm at the wide-angle end

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect match, February 20, 2008
My wife uses the Tamron 18-250 on her Alfa 100. The results are good no more, no less and it is difficult to focus when there is not enough contrast.
I must say I used this lens on my Minolta 7D. I got faster results with this camera but again the pictures were good, no more no less.
With the Sony 18-250 on my (new) Alfa 700, this is another story. This couple is damn fast; only in a few occasions did I have some difficulties to focus. I shot already 1000 pictures at the sea side, in mountain areas, in a desert; I am happy to report that I got accurate colors (those I actually saw) and distortion free pictures.
If you want to travel light, the couple Alfa 700/Sony 18-250 is a must. It is a kind of standard lens along with the Sony 11-18 that I rate 5 stars too.
Simply amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAR Superior to the kit lens, January 5, 2011
I have this lens on a Sony SLT-a55. I read many reviews that described the various kit lenses as worthless. I tried the kit lens out in the store and found that what people were writing was true. I then compared the 18-200 to the 18-250. All the clerk in the store had to say was that the 18-250 was a little more expensive. What I noticed immediately was that the 18-250 felt like it was made by a different manufacturer...the zoom and heft felt more significant and of a superior quality. Indoors it was difficult to see much of a difference between 200mm and 250mm, but the quality difference was obvious. The 18-250 was by far taking better pictures without softness around the corners, and even when zooming at 250mm standing a few feet away from a flower gave amazing depth of field and clarity where it was needed. I bought this lens on here and have been very impressed with the results I am getting. I highly recommend this over the kit lens (so just buy the body and use the extra $100 towards this:), and I also recommend it over the 18-200 which feels super cheap and gets sloppy past 150mm. Hope this helps.Sony SAL18250 Alpha DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 High Magnification Zoom Lens w/Lens Hood

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb "walk around" lens, March 10, 2009
I purchased this lens in July. It's rarely been off of my A700 since then. It covers such an incredible range for the shooting I do-mostly landscape and nature photos. I've already taken over 3500 shots with it. I have no problems with the focus speed. I haven't used my 18-70 or 75-300 kit lenses for more than 10 shots since I purchased this lens...there's no reason to.

If you're considering this lens, I recommend it. You won't regret it.

Update, 31 JUL 12: I've had this lens for more than four years now...it's still my favorite. I'm using it on my A65 now. Still have my A700, but I don't use it as much.

The lens has been on my cameras for more than 30,000 photos...my next most used lens is a 500mm mirror that has about 300 shots. I think that you can tell I like this lens. A couple of friends have taken a look through the lens and were extremely impressed...and I agree with them.

You won't go wrong with this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is an awesome lens!, April 18, 2008
While many people are happy with the Sony DT 18-200 zoom lense, the DT 18-250 is even better. For just a bit more this one has stainless steel mount and longer zoom. The size is surprisingly compact almost the same size with the DT 18-200. It is an awesome lens, I am happy with mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great "basic" lens, February 4, 2009
Ray T (Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
I have a number of lenses for my Sony A350. This is my "everyday" lens. It has a wide enough range to take wide angle to telephoto shots. The only minor flaw is that it is not the fastest lens out there in terms of aperture, but in the midrange, it is fast enough for most shooting. If you are only going to get one lens, seriously consider this. It works flawlessly with the a350 (and my friend's a300.) It weighs just over a pound and considering the zoom range, that isn't bad. Also, when locked, it is fairly small and fits easily into camera cases/pockets. I have taken about 1000 shots and it produces very good results. I only gave it 4 stars because of the aperture, but I wouldn't really hold that against your "basic" lens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Zeiss, but very, very good., November 11, 2010
Having owned the Sony SLT A55V for about a month, I was sufficiently impressed by photos generated by the kit lens that I immediately decided to purchase a "better" quality lens without having to sell a kidney to do it. The SAL 18250 was my choice as it satisfied two criteria. I needed a good all purpose zoom lens and I wanted something better than the kit 18-55 lens that came with the camera. This lens was a very good choice.

There are many reviews on this lens all over the web, so I won't belabor points better made by others. But let me say that this lens has to be the perfect companion to any Sony Alpha (I have owned two). I would rate it a 9 out of 10 and the only only other lens that I could imagine out performing it would be a Zeiss and even then it would be a rather close comparison to some.

This glass is superb and will absolutely do what it advertises. I recently took it to a birthday party held in a large banquet room and was able to stay stationary while taking some very lovely candid "close up" portrait shots from far across the room. Really as good as I have ever produced. Color was perfect as was the exposure and focus and the lens was fast. I had to work very quickly as to not be obtrusive and ruin the candid nature of the photographs and the SAL 18250 performed flawlessly. Later in the day I took the rig out to photograph a historical Victorian mansion in our area and again the SAL 18250 impressed. In every light environment it performed extremely well.

This is a great all purpose lens and I can genuinely and highly recommend it. It is money well spent!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Lens, June 14, 2012
Love this lens. Using on Sony a77...

Pros: Great for taking stills - sharp, in focus and the zoom range is very versatile.

Cons: The only cons I have are minor though cause enough to earn a 4 rather than 5 rating

- while shooting video the auto-focus noise is recorded so I wouldn't recommend this lens for video
- the auto-focus is a tiny bit slow and occasionally hunts
- the zoom, though smooth, is a bit too 'frictionless' and thus gravity causes zoom to extend to 250 mm if not locked

Summary: Even with the cons I would still buy this lens as it takes excellent pics