5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome lens!!!
Short version: This is a great lens... very well made, effective, versatile, and performs impressively. A great investment for anyone wanting a lens that really can 'do it all'.

Long version: I got this lens as an upgrade from my original Sony 18-55 lens, since I wanted a lens with a little more zoom capability (and some close-up as well) without having to...
Published on January 21, 2008 by B. Rose

Published on January 13, 2011 by MVesseur

5.0 out of 5 stars Great zoom without suffering in quality!, January 18, 2013
This review is from: Sony SAL18250 Alpha DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 High Magnification Zoom Lens (Electronics)
I have purchased this lens to replace the stock 18-55mm lens for my Sony A57. This lens offer me great zoom so that I can take pictures from afar. I have tried it in zoos, bird parks, airports as well as landscapes and it failed to disappoint me in these conditions. I yet to try it in airshows and F1 races.
The colour still looks good at maximum focal length and the image also appears sharp. At this price, its performance is superb. I never use other lens except when switching to macro lens. It can be used as a all-around lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick!, September 17, 2012
I bought my A57 with the kit lens, and while that lens exceeded my expectations, I knew that I would want something with more flexibility. The photos from the SAL18250 are very good (I consider myself an advanced amateur, though I would buy a Zeiss lens if I had the $$. Of course, if I had the $$, I wouldn't be using an APS-C model, but I digress.) Overall, it does exactly what I want, and combines the flexibility that I had with my DSC-HX1, with the image quality of the APS-C sensor. I needed something faster than 3.5, so I purchased a 50mm 1.8 DT lens to use along with this lens.

Pros:
Color and sharpness match the kit lens, no regrets there.
Range is everything I need. (Matched with the excellent digital zoom capabilities of the A57, I was able to take some great moon shots last month.)
The perspective distortion at wide angle is noticeably better than the kit lens, though still present. (The A57 also quickly and intelligently makes adjustments to the photo to correct some of the remaining vignetting and distortion).
Zoom and focus action are smooth (Internal focus ring doesn't affect front element.)
Lens lock switch is located on the barrel, though I have never had to use it.

Cons:
The lens feels well made, but adds considerable heft to the camera. One handed photos are more difficult.
The screw-drive autofocus is not as quick as the built in motor of the 18-55, though it is a touch quieter.
Still some distortion and a small amount of fringing (chromatic aberration) against bright backgrounds.
Price. $650 is a bit steep compared to competitive and similar models, though I bought mine at a great discount from an independent Amazon seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lense, March 17, 2012
I had used the Minolta 18-200 lens for many years, and really liked it. For travel and general use you just can't beat having one lens that does it all. I probably shot 30,000 pictures with that lens.

I recently broke the lens ( my fault) and replaced it with the Sony 18-250. My initial reaction is very positive. The lens seem to focus very well and the pictures are sharp and vivid. Having a lock will be helpful since I often ride a bike wearing the camera, and the old 18-200 would periodically extend while I was riding. So far I'm very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, July 11, 2012
Conrad (BEAVER FALLS, PA, US) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased a Sony a57 DSLR camera with a 18-55 lens. The 18-55 lens was not enough. I wanted a lens that was 'all purpose' and capable of utilizing the camera's potential. I read countless reviews of lesser lenses but none seamed to measure up. I decided to go for the higher quality Sony 18-250 lens.

With this lens, I feel that I am finally able to take exactly the picture that I want. It is a high quality, quiet, precision instrument. This is the lens that should have come with the camera! I could not be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great buy, November 29, 2010
This is the best lense I have ever used. I dont miss shots anymore because of changing lenses and it significantly reduces the weight of carrying two lenses. Just spin the Tamrac velocity 9X sling pack around under my shoulder, lift the cover, pull put the camera and get the shot without having to change lenses or unload the pack. I am very happy with this lense and camera bag also available from Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great multi Purpose Lens, October 30, 2012
If you can only take a single lens, this is the one to take.
With the higher speed new DSLR's this lens give you a very wide abillity to image whatever you wish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sony Walk Around, August 7, 2012
Excellent Image quality & very versatile for stills & video. No lens creep issue on mine. Should be a kit option.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very practical lens, if it wasn't for purple fringing and zoom creep, January 13, 2011
My wife and I used this lens with pleasure for several months at the beginning of 2010, riight into the summer, on a Sony A100, A300 and A330. We didn't know what purple fringing (CA) was and didn't know about many other image quality aspects either, so we didn't look too closely. But you learn and get to be more demanding. Somewhere in the summer I was trying to photograph a sapsucker in a tree with the lens fully extended and aperture at 6.3. Looking at the result, I could hardly find the bird for the purple/dark blue in the picture. Then zoom creep started to set in. Before the lens would lose value too much, we sold it again. We now use a Sigma 70-300mm APO for telelens and have to switch lenses more often, but CA is a thing of the past. Definitely not as practical as before, and I will consider a hyperzoom again for practical reasons, but not this particular model. A newer Tamron model may have better lens coating.
Sigma has its own issues, especially with build quality, so make sure you keep your Amazon receipt for warranty claims if you want to go that route.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, quick and easy, November 1, 2013
Anuar Alarcon Ayub (Mexico, D.F. Mexico) - See all my reviews
I am an amateur photographer, no huge experience on the field, but this lens really make a great difference when taking pictures. Not being so technical on it, but it simply works as supposed. Forget carrying a lens for zooming out, and another for close takes, this makes the job easier. The compact size, the zoom and the versatility of the function is what makes this lens a great option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money., August 16, 2013
Great lens for the money spent. If you have the A65, it will love you for it. And you will love your pictures even more. Don't think about wether you will like it or not. You will love it.

Rate and Discover Movies