5.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Go Wrong with this Lens
Published on December 7, 2010 by Ray

3.0 out of 5 stars Great lens but with limitations
Although I did not buy this lens from Amazon, I did rely on Amazon reviews of this lens to make my decision. So as a way of saying thank you to Amazon, I am sharing my own review of this lens. Please be aware that this review is oriented mostly towards amateurs like myself because this is essentially an amateur lens.

Here is what I liked about this lens:...
Published 21 months ago by Syiem

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Go Wrong with this Lens, December 7, 2010
This review is from: Sony SAL30M28 30mm f/2.8 Lens for Alpha Digital SLR Cameras (Electronics)
All I can say is that after shooting many, many photos with this little guy, I've come to the conclusion that this is the easiest macro lens recommendation I could make for the alpha user. The image quality is surprisingly good, often bitingly sharp, with wonderful depth of field, and good color. In fact, when I reveiew the images, I can't make myself believe they came from a lens that is under $200. Way to go, Sony!

The lens is also very light and compact. It is all-plastic construction. But it does not feel cheap; the lens is simply light due to construction materials. But the real issue is the image quality, which, as I say, is surprisingly good. This is a great entry lens to start experimenting with macro photography.

One minor drawback is that the mechanical focus mechanism is relatively noisy. When you get into focus hunting, which inevitably occurs with macro shots, you'll get some fairly loud focusing sounds from the device. But this is about the only drawback I've come up with so far, and its pretty minor, considering the plusses.

Great lens at a really reasonable price. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great lens but with limitations, November 22, 2012
Syiem (Delhi, India) - See all my reviews

Here is what I liked about this lens:
1. Price: this lens is really cheap for a true macro lens that provides 1:1 magnification. Most likely, this is the cheapest macro lens around.

2. Excellent results:
This lens is extremely sharp. Since I have owned mostly amateur grade lenses so far, I was amazed to see the sharpness on this lens. At 100% crop, the pictures taken with lens look tack-sharp.

3. Makes a great general purpose lens too:
Many first time buyers of macro lenses often believe that a macro lens is good for only macro work. Contrary to that belief, this lens makes a great general purpose prime lens too. On an APC-C sensor, this lens acts as a 45 mm lens, which is equivalent to a normal lens and is great for casual outdoor shots, portraits and even landscapes. Because of the wide f2.8 aperture, I have been able to capture much better portraits with this lens as compared to the 18-55 kit lens.

Here is what I did not like about this lens:
1. Poor low light focusing capability
I see this lens struggling to focus in low light conditions a lot more than any other lens I have used. The kit lens beats this lens hands-down in this department. So most of the times, if the light is not sufficient, I just switch to manual focus.

2. Noise:
This lens is really noisy when focusing. So if you are meaning to capture that little butterfly with this lens, better switch to manual focus or you'll scare it away with the noise.

3. Working distance too small:
Well, let's face it. This lens may be cheap, but the focal length of this lens isn't the most appropriate for macro work. To get full magnification with this lens, you'll need to get within an inch of the subject, which makes this lens unsuitable for photographing live subjects.

4. No focus limiter switch:
This lens has no focus limiter switch. Focus limiter switch on a macro lens lets you limit focus search to a part of the focusing range so the lens searches for focus within that range only. Many of the more superior macro lenses (including the Sony 50mm f/2.8 Macro) have this switch. The absence of this switch on this lens makes auto-focusing really difficult, as the lens travels from one inch to infinity in search of perfect focus - sometimes without success. Yet another reason I resort to manual focus while using this lens.

So is this lens for you?
The answer to that depends entirely on what kind of photographer you are and what you expect from this lens. If you are really passionate about macro photography, especially about capturing small insets, you are likely to want to upgrade to a quieter and faster macro lens that lets you stay within a convenient working distance of your subjects. In that case, I'd suggest you to go straight to one of the other lenses such as the Sony 50mm f/2.8 Macro Lens for Sony Alpha Digital SLR Camera or the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens for Canon SLR Cameras.

If you just want to experiment with macro photography and don't want to spend too much for it, you'd enjoy using this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a small world !!!, November 27, 2009
I have always loved macro photography and I was using another lens that wasn't a full macro. This one is Sonys first dedicated macro at an affordable price. It does not disappoint! With a minimum focus distance of 4.1 inches you can get very close. Both my friends and myself are amazed at the quality of the pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars 30mm Sony Lens, March 17, 2010
I have used this twice since I purchased it, and both times I have been impressed with the sharp results I have achieved. I have only hand held it during this test period, and even then it has performed very well. I love the depth of field. I would definitely recommend this for anyone's camera bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first dedicated macro lens, July 1, 2010
This is the first dedicated, specialized Macro lens I have ever bought, and I am not disappointed. It is lightweight, focuses easily, automatically or manually, the images are sharp and detailed, and the price is low.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens, June 2, 2010
Great lens, great price point.

Light, easy to mount, and extremely sharp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little lens, July 27, 2010
This 30mm 2.8 lens is an excellent macro and indoor lens. I'd love to have wider aperture but for the money this is unbeatable. Very happy with the quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice prime lens, September 27, 2011
D. Ockrassa (Tacoma, WA USA) - See all my reviews
While not the fastest prime lens, I got this one for its macro capability, and when shooting macro you're usually stopped way down for greater depth of field anyway. Very happy with my selection, it's "tack" sharp edge to edge, with good color rendition. Small and light weight, it still seems to be solidly made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal 30mm Macro Lens, March 31, 2011
The Sony SAL30M28 is a phenomenal lens. The 30mm fixed focal length is not the best for enlarging tiny objects but does an ok job at it. However, it is great for portraits. The specs say the minimum focus distance is about 5 inches but I've been able to focus on objects that are only 1 inch away from the lens. The 2.8 aperture is decent for low light, however the lens has a hard time focusing in low light. Either way, the photos it produces on a Sony Alpha A500 are awesome. Excellent clarity and very nice bokeh. Definitely a great buy for $200.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is so cool, March 28, 2014
First time I have used a macro lens and it is great. Taking pics of painted miniatures is so easy now. you need a table top tripod to make it steady or you will get blurry results.
I am so used to regular lens, with distance markings of 10ft to 50ft and so forth, looking a the lens i noticed that the distances were 5.1 inch 5.2 in on up to 12 in. that is just to cool, gonna be playing with this for a while.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›