4.0 out of 5 stars Sony Alpha SLT-A35
Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16 MP Digital SLR Kit with Translucent Mirror Technology and 18-55mm Lens

I've had the Sony SLT-A35 for a couple of weeks now and after some testing and two in the field photo shoots, I think I'm ready to review it. I'll outline Pros, Cons and Matters of Preference.

Pros:
The photo quality is very good, what you would expect...
Published on August 22, 2011 by Dave R

3.0 out of 5 stars I love this camera except for one problem.
This review is not extensive but does cover what I consider the most important pros/cons I discovered during my time with the Sony a35. I did not test the video performance, so all comments below are about photos.

I really like SteadyShot, Sony's in camera image stabilization (IS). This means you can use lenses without built in IS, such as primes, and still...
Published on October 22, 2011 by Serious Sam

5.0 out of 5 stars Avoid the seller "Bionyx LLC", June 22, 2014
This review is from: Sony Alpha SLT-a35 16 MP Digital SLR with Translucent Mirror Technology (Electronics)
Good Camera. I've taken over 2000 photos on mine. Avoid Bionyx LLC, I tried to upgrade to a Sony A65. They NEVER shipped it, and I had to wait 20 days for Amazon to complete the cancellation of the sale. Meanwhile, all the cameras in the lower price ranges sold out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the extra features, June 14, 2013
CamGuy (Cowden, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this camera body to supplement my Alpha a230 and kit lenses. I liked the extra mega-pixels, Live View and several additional features the a230 doesn't have, plus the ability to have each of the 2 zooms on a camera ready to go without breaking the bank. Found a good deal on a Used-Like New model on Amazon. I haven't tested extensively, but I like the single color settings and the menu arrangement. The smile triggered shutter setting seems a little hit and miss, but I was just playing around with it and haven't read the instructions to see if I was using it incorrectly (I wasn't holding the camera in a normal shooting position). This camera body is smaller than the a230, and I seem to be one of the few people who is not a fan of cameras getting smaller resulting in less room to hold the camera without accidentally hitting some of the controls, but it wasn't even immediately noticed, so not a deal breaker by any means. I'm just a hobbyist shooting for fun. Anybody in that class or maybe a little higher would be very pleased with this camera.

UPDATE: I returned this camera after about a month due to consistent underexposure and soft focus issues. My a230 model was taking obviously sharper pictures with same settings and shooting with same lens. I'm assuming it was just this particular camera, but have not made any replacement to compare yet. Really did like the features and Amazon was superb with the return. Debating whether to purchase another a35 or possibly upgrade to a 55 or 77.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent value, January 28, 2013
This camera model was purchased for my teens as an entry into photography. It is compact, light in weight, and loaded with functions that will likely delay their understanding of photographic principles. It captures RAW, RAW+JPEG, JPEG. If you have any intent of digital darkroom work, RAW format is essential. It also captures HD video at 60 fps.( I suggest you use Serif software for the HD editing.) The advantage of this (Sony) system is the availability of purchasing used Minolta Maxxum autofocus lenses for a song. Minolta optics can be superb (go to[...] for lens reviews). As the Minolta system was sold to Sony some years ago and is the basis of Sony's current photographic system, the lenses are interchangeable.

The deficit of the camera is its digital viewfinder. The image provided is of somewhat low resolution for someone used to optics.

But for $350 new, with warranty, lens included, one can not quibble too much.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first DSLR, January 27, 2013
The Sony a35 is my first DSLR or DSLR-like (technically is not an actual DSLR), I had a good HP point and shoot until it died on me. I have had it for 6 months now, since I still have not learned to use it well I get high noise in my indoor photos, even at 400. But I'm working on it, the DAvid Busch book for it is very good so far and I can see its not necessarily a camera issue. I have problems with indoor photos, sometimes they are sharp but they have this orange "glow" or "tint" that I cannot get rid off, my friend's Canon Rebel t3 did not show this issue, I will appreciate any advice about it.
I have small hands, for me this is a perfect fit, I held several Nikon and Canon cameras about the same price range, and I cannot hold them comfortably, especially if I'm trying to switch between settings. Since I'm a baby level photographer I also like it has short explanations when you switch between options. I definitely love the built-in stabilization and the 7fps (at max. speed), I like to take family photos, and for me its a must. I usually frown upon cameras with very high Megapixels, since for most people no more than 10 are needed, but I have noticed sometimes I do need to crop a lot of the image, and then those 16MP come really handy!
Since I'm considering to get a couple of lenses, I'm glad I can order old Minolta ones for a lot less than Canon/Nikon lenses. If you are a beginners, do invest in a good manual like David Busch's, since Sony its fairly new to this segment, its a little hard to find help for specific set up questions.
Update:
The orange "glow" in indoors conditions can be "removed" if you play around with your exposure settings and/or white balance, the camera can do its own white balance calculations using the function menu. Images are sharp and it works well with Minolta lenses from the 80's (I even found one for $14!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, awesome features, incredible performance, December 6, 2012
I received this last night, so I haven't had much time with it yet, but my initial response is amazement. Excellent camera. I'm very impressed by it's low-light performance. I miss the optical view finder, but the speed of focus and shooting more than make up for it. I can see it being a bit difficult when trying to manually focus in low-light, as the electronic view finder gets grainy in low light, but it's easy enough to take the shot, adjust focus, and reshoot as needed. The on board HDR option is amazing at first look. It is a little small, making lenses feel heavier than they did on my Alpha 100, but adjusting my grip and putting my pinkie under the body rather than on the grip seems to help.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price was the best buy., October 26, 2012
Image quality is good and the control is not dificult. The lens was not expensive and has some options. Is not a perfect camera, but for the price was the best buy and increase a lot on my photos. It's a good camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than I spected from the seller and the product, September 28, 2012
The seller send me a use but in perfect condition item and the item are more than I spect. Very nice camera, very very fast auto focus system. Easy to use menu....

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful HD, June 16, 2012
I had quite a good point and click that had manual options that I was just starting to learn. I am no expert at all but decided I wanted to upgrade to try my hand at better photos and also movies. I found that my previous cameras were too slow to capture my dog before she moved and that video was not good quality.
This camera arrived 2 days ago and I am so excited. Even with just the auto features I have gotten great photos and just played back some video on my HD TV and the quality was wonderful. I could either just plug an HDMI cable straight from the camera to the TV or pop the SD card into my DVD player and view the photos and movies on the TV.
I found it easy to get started even though there are all sorts of options in the manual and the book I also bought. I also liked that it had a view finder.
I compared it to other DSLR cameras in the same price range and it is fast and has a ton of features. If you are a happy snapper like me looking for your first "serious" camera this fits the bill.
It came with a CD but I then got the option to download some newer stuff and I even managed to mess around and produce some "creative artwork" from my snaps and also print some good photos too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for the buck, June 11, 2012
Kenneth (ROSEBURG, OR, United States) - See all my reviews
I am totally impressed with this camera. The pictures I have taken just in the auto mode are absolutely superior to what I was taking before. I have yet to learn all the manual functions this camera offers, but the few I have resulted in very clear and interesting shots. Great bang for the buck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes Beautiful Pictures., April 4, 2012
This camera is light weight and takes beautiful pictures. Happy I got it. Don't forget to get a case for it because it doesn't come with one.