4.0 out of 5 stars Sony Alpha SLT-A35
Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16 MP Digital SLR Kit with Translucent Mirror Technology and 18-55mm Lens

I've had the Sony SLT-A35 for a couple of weeks now and after some testing and two in the field photo shoots, I think I'm ready to review it. I'll outline Pros, Cons and Matters of Preference.

Pros:
The photo quality is very good, what you would expect...
Published on August 22, 2011 by Dave R

3.0 out of 5 stars I love this camera except for one problem.
This review is not extensive but does cover what I consider the most important pros/cons I discovered during my time with the Sony a35. I did not test the video performance, so all comments below are about photos.

I really like SteadyShot, Sony's in camera image stabilization (IS). This means you can use lenses without built in IS, such as primes, and still...
Published on October 22, 2011 by Serious Sam

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes Beautiful Pictures., April 4, 2012
This camera is light weight and takes beautiful pictures. Happy I got it. Don't forget to get a case for it because it doesn't come with one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level, and lots of room to expand., February 18, 2012
So this is my first review of the first ever DSLR Iv'e owned, so I hope this can provide some back bone to new comers of photography and video.

first off I would like to say that i bought this camera mainly for the high video quality, and the fact that I had a good deal with 2 others lens I had up for grabs at the time, (they were free) so this one was the best choice.

I am very satisfied with the way this product works. It's design is nothing short of a good DSLR, and is very simple to manage around, as I had no trouble betting to any switches or buttons when holding it in my hands. It's light weight, but still has a bit of weight to it for it's size, so it feels sturdy, but not a hassle to hold or carry around. I find that this camera fits better in my hand than any other DSLR's that I've held, like the Nikon D3100 or the Canon Rebel T3i for those models felt a bit more bubbly in my hands, and I felt that they were to light for the size they were, so even though its just a personal preference, I find that this camera fits in my hand just perfectly. it's important to have comfort when taking a picture or shooting video, so keep that in mind.

As far as image quality goes, it takes excellent pictures, with very accurate and vibrant coloreds. It is fun to mess around with the different filters and camera styles, but if you're like me, you won't use any of them much because most of those can be done when you upload the picture to Photoshop. I think the main advantage to the affects of this camera is the sweep panoramic mood. its a very smooth and natural process, so I thought it was a nice little feature they had in there.

Shooting video is really a blast with this camera, the only problem I have with it though is having a lot more manual control with it. I know this camera isn't the best be shooting video's with, but as a film maker, I use it a lot in my projects and productions, so it would of been nicer to have a bit more manual control over the picture of the film. Either way, this thing shoots great 1080p video, and will satisfy anyone who wants to start making films.

All in all, its a great camera, and is a reasonable price for this sort of quality. if you're looking to spend any kind of Money on a DSLR I would highly recommend you check out this model because it is just a great camera packed with a lot of features, and can produce high quality photos and videos.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Buy, February 8, 2012
It was delivered fast and efficient. The manual is in good design and great quality, especially I also can get it from the WEB site, and make the content larger, easier to read and navigate with all those links within an e-copy manual. I did lots of shootings in the Super Bowl party, and am very satisfied with its performance.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was better than i expected, May 10, 2012
I am more into videography so i had to make a switch to Canon. The picture quality with the kit lens is amazing. One neat feature i liked was convenient button for video right by the thumb. You can shoot video at any of the modes selected. If you don't plan on color correcting the videos it's great but it lacks functionality for lowering the contrast and sharpness to be able to make greater post production adjustment.

3.0 out of 5 stars sony a 35, March 29, 2012
after buying this camera we shot few pictures with my friend who has nikon d 5100.Why doing personal photos on balcony under cloudy conditions, sony a35 photos had half faces shaded ,while nikons looked more uniform,no shading.Colors looked more dull on sony.Doing close up photos of flowers, detail was better with nikon.Photos inside apartment were almost equal,with nikon having only slight advantage.I think problem is with sony translucent mirror, that does not allow all light to get to sensor.Seeing this difference I immediately returned sony a35.In order for sony to compete with dslr they need to remove translucent mirror.Too bad nikon/canon in lagging behind in mirror-less cameras.I am surprised that consumers report/photo magazines did not report this issue.I liked size,speed of sony.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Mix Of Features for Novice to Advanced Users, August 19, 2011
This review is from: Sony Alpha SLT-a35 16 MP Digital SLR with Translucent Mirror Technology (Electronics)
PROS:
Very fast focusing in Photo and Video
High photo image quality
Screen image quality is fantastic
Great build quality
Small and light but is easy to hold.
Auto+ mode is really good. It auto detects what mode should be used and typically does a good job.
7fps works very well and

CONS:
Fixed screen
Small screen - Even though the documented size is comparable to other cameras, the aspect ratio used here makes it look smaller.
Image quality is low within electronic viewfinder and image looks washed out. Also, the image doesn't take up the entire viewable area of the electronic viewfinder; there is a black border all around it. It has the pixels there (because there is backlight bleed all over it, and a few icons appear in that space).
Too much shutter noise. You would think that since the mirror doesn't move, it would make less noise.
Functionality severely limited in RAW mode. Many features are not useable when camera set to save RAW or RAW/JPEG.
HDR mode should have an option to make an artistic HDR opposed to just the simple dynamic range adjustment. What they call HDR just makes the image look more grey.
Screen blacks out between shots, especially noticeable when doing HDR.
Sweep panorama feels like you are using a machinegun. It's not smooth at all and
Image stabilization should turn on when using manual focus assist. It's great that manual focus assist is there to begin with, but it would be 100x more useful if the built in image stabilization would also be there to assist.
No GPS like A55.
No built-in wifi. Cheap phones have it, why not latest cameras?

This is true for any manufacturer:
(1) For those that use a hand strap instead of neck strap, put a place to attach the strap UNDER the camera body. Now we have to use the tripod mount to secure the BULKY handstrap under the camera.
(2) Photos taken in burst mode should have a special file name suffix or a field in EXIF data to make it easier to find groups of photos taken in burst mode.
(3) Open source firmware.

1.0 out of 5 stars My Camera Broke After a Year and 2.5 Months!, December 4, 2012
I'm never buying a Sony again. Words cannot describe how disappointed I am in Sony. I've owned Sony cameras all my life and never had any problems with them. In August 2011 I paid around $500 for a Sony A35 body through Amazon. I was extremely happy with the features, especially the handheld feature. In November 2012 my camera stopped working (it won't turn on). I tried every fix I could find on the internet. Even called Sony Service, they could only suggest troubleshooting tips I already tried from the internet. Then, after two minutes of trying, Sony Service said sorry, your camera is our of warranty and you'll need to send it to Texas (from Hawaii!!) to have them look at it. $250 for Sony to look at the camera...that doesn't include the repair.

I'm still in shock. I've never dropped the camera or got it wet. I take very good care of it. I bought two lenses for it, a full range lens and a prime lens as well as other accessories.

The camera broke on day one of my vacation in November. Extremely disappointed. Don't purchase this camera unless you want a headache. My brother in law bought the same camera after trying my camera...he purchased his one week after I purchased mine and just today his camera is having the same problem as mine.

After a quick search on the internet, turns out I am not the only one having this problem with my camera. What a huge disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not better than a point and shoot or iPhone in some respects., April 10, 2012
David Zamula "Sham wow" (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
While this camera is easy to operate and smaller and lighter than most DSLRs from Canon and Nikon, the picture quality is deficient in one major area: color and exposure. An Apple iPhone 4S will produce better images in many cases.

If you are taking pictures in high contrast situations, the colors will be washed out and muted. In other conditions the colors will be steely and dark if there is a broad dynamic range. Turning DOR off seems to help quite a bit but I hate to start tinkering with settings so early in the game. I have seen pictures from the NEX-5 and they appear to have the same problem. Of course, you can touch up afterwards and the editing software that comes with the camera is sufficient to get better results, but having to increase the saturation on most photos is not for me.

In general, the image quality is inferior and it is because the colors are muted and faded. The biggest deficiency is in the pink/red/purple spectrum. However, as many have noted, the autofocus is incredibly fast. To prove that point, I put on the 55-200 zoom and took pictures of motorcyclists passing by on the highway. The focus is very good. The Canon T3i can not approach the SLT A-35 in either autofocus speed or for burst speed, so this seems like a good choice for the action photo types.

Back to color. If you are taking a picture of a dog for instance, it might be acceptable. But my sample pictures, taken in good lighting conditions, are not what I expect. Out of some 250 snaps I took in Carcassonne, France last year maybe a dozen were acceptable.

Finally, now that the A37 is coming out, it is noteworthy that the initial offering price for the A-37 will be a hundred dollars under this camera and yes many bought the camera when it was $699. At $499 it is acceptable but $699, no way. Note that the A37 has a downgraded LCD viewer, this one is better in that respect.

I guess the lesson is to be wary of Sony cameras in general. Also be wary of the professional paid reviewers who constantly promote Sony products on this site. If they say this camera is nearly perfect etc or offer "pros" and "cons" then the big "con" is the review itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars LCD with problem, November 7, 2011
The LCD of my camera is geting a black spot that grows more every day....Sony Alpha SLT-a35 16 MP Digital SLR Kit with Translucent Mirror Technology and 18-55mm Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Camera!, December 1, 2011
I am pleased with this camera and surprised by its capabilities. I replaced an Alpha 100 with this camera and find it to be very easy to use and it takes great pictures. The 16.2 MP makes for much better pictures.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›