4.0 out of 5 stars Sony Alpha SLT-A35
Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16 MP Digital SLR Kit with Translucent Mirror Technology and 18-55mm Lens

I've had the Sony SLT-A35 for a couple of weeks now and after some testing and two in the field photo shoots, I think I'm ready to review it. I'll outline Pros, Cons and Matters of Preference.

Pros:
The photo quality is very good, what you would expect...
Published on August 22, 2011 by Dave R

3.0 out of 5 stars I love this camera except for one problem.
This review is not extensive but does cover what I consider the most important pros/cons I discovered during my time with the Sony a35. I did not test the video performance, so all comments below are about photos.

I really like SteadyShot, Sony's in camera image stabilization (IS). This means you can use lenses without built in IS, such as primes, and still...
Published on October 22, 2011 by Serious Sam

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Great camera, July 22, 2013
I like the ease of handling and weight. Pictures are great. I'm still experimenting with it. All my Minolta lens work quite well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Photos!! Love the Size and Features!!, April 9, 2012
Marleck (Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Alpha SLT-a35 16 MP Digital SLR Kit with Translucent Mirror Technology and 18-55mm Lens (Electronics)
I took the time to learn how to use this camera and I absolutely love it. The size is smaller and the viewfinder is convenient as it automatically changes from the LCD screen to the small eye viewfinder instantly. The panoramic feature is very useful for me. I also have a Canon DSLR, but use this one more frequently due to the size and multiple image features. PLUS, the image stabilization is in the camera itself, so lenses are less expensive. I have three now. It makes shooting fun! BTW - The video is AMAZING!

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera makes me, a noob, look good., September 19, 2011
I stepped up from a point and shoot to this; and while I have not exploited the full "dslr-ness" of this camera, it has already proven easy to shoot awesome pictures. I don't have experience with other dslr's, but I found after a quick read of the manual I was fairly familiar with how to use the features of the camera (and it has quite a few). Now it's up to me developing my knowledge of basic photography and getting some time behind the viewfinder to even attempt to extract the potential this camera has. I'd say the biggest cons are the autofocusing noise during video recording and the lack of a articulated screen. Even then, I think for the money this is a great buy. When it comes down to it, you can always wait another year or spend a few hundred dollars more to get the newer or better option. I don't regret buying the A35 the first day it was available, and I think that says something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony SLT-a35, September 7, 2012
I love this camera. It's image quality is very nice and this camera is a perfect camera for a hobbyist picture taker. It has many built in features and it can take up to 7 shots per second. This is in the same class as Nikon's d5100 I believe, and It performs much better in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Alpha SLT-35, June 20, 2012
This camera is really really nice. I have been using it about a month now and it has performed flawlessly. With the included 55mm lenses I have taken photos of friends and mountains. It is fully automatic and allows for complete user control of settings. Its supper fast when shooting fast subjects (birds) and also shoots full HD movies as well. It has a nice feel to the camera and is solidly built. I spend hours reviewing this camera and the Nikon 3100. I decided to go with the Sony for the lenses. The Sony has built in image stabilization where the Nikon has image stabilization built into the lenses. This means the lenses are more expensive for the Nikon and the Sony will accept old lenses, meaning that I can buy used lenses for a fraction of the cost of brand new ones.Sony Alpha SLT-a35 16 MP Digital SLR Kit with Translucent Mirror Technology and 18-55mm Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera for the price range., April 30, 2012
If you are thinking about the Canon T2I/550D, do not get the 550d! Get this amazing product. If you are getting this for video, it has automatic auto focus. It is also VERY good with photos with 16.1mp.

This camera > T2I

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, great photos., March 3, 2012
This is a great camera that has all the features an amateur photographer may need. The camera is quite compact and light, which in my opinion is a great feature. Contrary to other SLRs, this camera allows you to use autofocus while making movies. Other interesting features are the high quality large screen, the ability to take multiple shots in a row (3.7 shots/sec) and the high definition sensor with 16 MP (including the ability to make full high def movies). I bought this camera body and the 16-50 mm 2.8 lens from Sony and I couldn't be happier with the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera I've ever used, February 11, 2012
Arrowcatcher (Silicon Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is the best camera I've ever used, based on its technology and performance. I bought it after buying the Sony HX100V superzoom and discovering how well it works. I sold my Olympus DSLR and all its lenses and figured I'd be as happy with the A35 as I am with the HX100V.

Don't want to write a long essay duplicating all the "pro" comments to date, but I'm most intrigued with the HDR and image "stacking" capabilities for low noise. Very enthusiastic about the fast auto focus, great image stabilization, and low light performance. Although the translucent mirror loses some incoming light, that loss does not show in the low light performance. In the Amazon images I posted a shot I casually took in my driveway of Orion's Belt using a Sony 75-300 kit lens and no tripod. You can see the 3 Belt stars and as well a few background objects that I couldn't see with my eye. The background is inky black - no confetti color noise at all. Looking forward to using the A35 with my telescopes.

In the "con" department, I wish the A35 had an articulated LCD viewfinder. I fairly frequently use that on my other cameras such as the HX100V. Also, the EVF is noisy in low light. It fools you since the actual stored image will not have any of that noise. The EVF is handy for aiming the camera but not so much for making detailed judgements. That's fine. Also, you should buy an extra battery or two. The battery life is acceptable, but particularly when shooting video, the juice goes pretty fast. I have the original and two spares. The OEM charger is pretty slow.

I can strongly recommend the A35. I've never enjoyed a camera so much, and I guess I'm hooked on the Sony brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alpha 35 SLT DSLR, December 7, 2011
The Sony a35 SLT Digital SLR at this price mark is well worth the money. Like most SLR owners I was driven to the Sony because of the myriad of Alpha/Minolta mount lens I already own however that did not deter me from researching what was available to me at this price mark and up to 1000. The camera has a fast shutter speed (1:4000) as well as the ability to shoot 7 frames per second. The Smile shutter is very cool (the camera will begin taking pictures after the subject smiles if they stop smiling the camera stops taking pictures (the kids love it)). In addition it features 15 focus points (in a picture of five people this helps with the issue of one person being in focus while the other four are fuzzy). Do not get me wrong I am very pleased with this purchase however there are a few things I had to settle for that the a65 had that I really like, 1. Fully articulated screen: 2. GPS (is able to plot location of picture on mapping software): 3. 24 megapixel images.

Whether or not you are buying the a35, a55, or a65 the camera only excepts 32 gigs of memory and is class 10 rated (I purchased SanDisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 (30MB/s) 32GB ( these are not cheap however the 30MB/s is a must to take advantage of the 7 frames per second))

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Entry level SLR, November 5, 2011
Bought a week back to replace my old a350. Tried to capture most of the snaps under low light and got pleasing shots.
Very satisfied with the camera.
Poeple who are looking for entry level, then go for a35.
Cost effective with much much more features than any other competetors.
Picture quality is superb.

Rate and Discover Movies