4.0 out of 5 stars Upgrading from stand alone DVD player

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Product, Bad Customer Service
Published on May 16, 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Product, Bad Customer Service, May 16, 2004
This review is from: Sony SLV-D350P DVD / VCR Combo (Electronics)
When I first bought this, DVDs would freeze at times and the image would decay to pixels at times. I contacted Sony customer service and they said that it was due to finger prints or scratches on the DVDs. After I had the machine for about 2 to 3 months, the DVD player stopped reading DVDs completely. I again contacted customer service and they told me to ship it to Texas and that they would send me a refurbished machine for ninety dollars. Actually, ninety was the minimum cost for labor since the warranty only covered parts. It could cost more if any of the parts were not covered by the warranty. Considering the cost of the machine, this was not a good option. I am stuck, but I hope that others won't make the same mistake and buy this machine. Also, after I ran into problems, I looked on Amazon for reviews of similar Sony DVD players. Sure enough, others had the same problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Starts skipping and has happened with other Sonys, September 21, 2004
This review is from: Sony SLV-D350P DVD / VCR Combo (Electronics)
I had the same problem with this DVD player and another Sony DVD player, that cost twice as much. They both seemed ok at first but started skipping after just a month or two use, and it became progressively worse. First just a skip or two, it made me think maybe the DVD was scratched. Then, would freeze up and skip certain scenes. Finally it got to where it wouldn't play any DVD I own all the way through, and wouldn't even recognize certain DVDs- it would just keep spinning and saying "No disc".

We bought 2 $99 Panasonic DVD players and threw away the Sonys, and to my surprise, the Panasonic ones have been playing perfectly for over a year now, NO skips or other defect or quality problems. I recommend Panasonic DVD players as being the best, and advise anyone to stay away from the overpriced Sonys.

Read up some other reviews and see for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Upgrading from stand alone DVD player, August 3, 2004
This review is from: Sony SLV-D350P DVD / VCR Combo (Electronics)
I bought this unit to replace my stand alone Sony DVD player, I picked this one since it had optical out and I could reuse my optical audio cable. This is not a component style device. The volume button on the remote does not control the stereo, it does the television instead. My Television does not have an optical input so I went into the menu and adjusted the outputs. Still no way to control the audio on the stereo. It does however have some neat features. You can lock the dvd door to keep kids out, but not the VCR door. You can zoom in on the picture up to 4X's on DVD's. The old Sony DVD remote works so I can watch movies and control the stereo's volume. You can watch DVD's and VHS through the RF making this a simple plug and play device.

You cannot use both the DVD and VCR function together.

1.0 out of 5 stars Conveniently broken after 13 weeks, September 21, 2004
This review is from: Sony SLV-D350P DVD / VCR Combo (Electronics)
I bought this DVD/VCR combo from Best Buy about 13 weeks ago. The DVD player worked fairly well until the screen froze while watching The Ring. I could not get the unit to stop, play OR eject. I tried this several times with the remote and buttons on the unit over a few day period with no luck. Best Buy didn't want anything to do with it since it was over the 30 day return/exchange period. Sony now wants to charge me $29.95 to exchange it for a refurbished unit or $59 for fixing and returning my unit. So in summary, I spent $159 for the new unit, $29.95 for a refurbished unit and the associated shipping charges. Let's hope that Sony can get it right the second time around. I would not recommend ANYONE buy SLVD350P from Sony.

2.0 out of 5 stars DVD Problems, September 16, 2004
C.M. Hogan (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony SLV-D350P DVD / VCR Combo (Electronics)
I've had this unit for a little over a month and it completely stopped reading DVDs. It still reads audio CDs and the VCR is decent. I'd steer clear of this combo.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great player until..., December 22, 2004
This review is from: Sony SLV-D350P DVD / VCR Combo (Electronics)
This player had everything I was looking for...progressive scan/component output, CD-R & R/W support, MP3 support, and the selling point...advertised DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW support. I make a lot of my own DVDs (not pirated movies) and wanted to make sure the new player could read them. Problem is that it only reads them for a few minutes, then you get digital breakup and the thing eventually stops playing! I've returned the product twice hoping I just had a bum machine - no luck! I'm convinced it's a design problem. Never had a problem with production DVDs, just consumer-created ones. If you play a lot of personally recorded DVDs, stay away from this thing. You'll be greatly disappointed.

For the record, the failing DVDs were verified against a 6-month old Toshiba portable (with the same advertised features as the Sony) and a 7-yr old Panasonic set-top (that doesn't even claim to support DVD-Rs!) and all of the discs worked perfectly. Go figure...

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING, December 12, 2004
This review is from: Sony SLV-D350P DVD / VCR Combo (Electronics)
This is an excellent product for the price. I own one. The DVD and CD player is good. I send the sound to my home theater receiver and it sounds wonderful. The VHS portion plays better than my other stand-alone SONY VCR. What I really liked is that this unit has Quasi-S Playback so I can play my S-VHS tapes. The picture is good. What I found amazing was that the EP record mode (6 hour) looked better than the SP (2 hour). I played some EP recordings made on this unit on my parents' JVC and the picture was outstanding. My only complaint with this unit is that the remote is too small and too "busy" with all the buttons very close together. If you want to watch DVDs, record and play VHS tapes without going beyond that I would highly recomend this SONY unit.

2.0 out of 5 stars What's in a name?, December 23, 2004
This review is from: Sony SLV-D350P DVD / VCR Combo (Electronics)
This item LOOKS great and has the SONY name...but its performance is definitely lacking. Upon engaging the machine, a buzz is heard. Watching a DVD is best. Only a slight buzz and the picture quality is adequate. But inject a VHS tape and the machine's buzz goes into overdrive. It is EXTREMELY loud and it will buzz along with the movie like an added track of unnecessary white noise.

I'm still looking for a good replacement. I was ready to send this back the day after I bought it, but held onto it and will probably donate it someday soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Money, November 28, 2004
DC Reader (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony SLV-D350P DVD / VCR Combo (Electronics)
This is my first purchase of anything by Sony, and I am very happy with it. I originally purchased a dual unit by GoVideo, but returned it the next day because of the poor playback quality of the VCR side. I am quite pleased with the playback quality of the DVD's and VHS tapes on this machine. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is because the buttons on the remote are small and make it difficult to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed out of the box, December 19, 2004
Searcher (Erie Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony SLV-D350P DVD / VCR Combo (Electronics)
I selected this unit over other similar units because of the brand name. Out of the box, the unit could not load any of the movie DVDs that I tried. After a long delay, it would report an error saying that the disk could not be read. These DVDs all worked in my other DVD player. I took the unit back and exchanged it for another of the same model. Brought it home and it had the same exact problem. I then bought a different brand of combo unit and it worked just fine. It looks like Sony has a poor design or extremely bad quality control. The other brand had the same features and cost $50 less than the Sony which I bought on sale. Don't even bother trying this DVD combo.

Sony SLV-D350P DVD / VCR Combo