1,117 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine super-portable am/fm weatherband radio
Comments for prospective buyers:

1) PLL (Phase locked loop) digitally synthesized, am/fm/weatherband radio with very low noise, i.e., very good sensitivity as well as good selectivity (the ability to distinguish between adjacent frequency, interfering signals).

Published on May 15, 2008 by Ann E. Revelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Tried It, Went Back to Sangean
Published on August 27, 2008 by Tj Pierce

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine super-portable am/fm weatherband radio, May 15, 2008
Ann E. Revelle (Los Alamos, New Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony SRF-M37W Walkman Digital Tuning Weather/FM/AM Stereo Radio (Black) (Electronics)
Comments for prospective buyers:

2) This radio can only be manually tunned by pressing the + (forward/up) or - (back/down) frequency tuning button. It will even advance semi-automatically if you hold the button down and you will hear the stations as the radio sweeps through the frequencies so you know how/where to locate stations (unlike Sangean pocket radios which mute during automatic scan and seek functions). Thus, there is no fully automatic, press and scan or even a seek function, but I have found this manual tuning capability totally adequate because of the simplicity of the five preset tuning buttons for each band (with 2 sets of five presets on the fm band). It is quite silly that Sony didn't take the time right now to also add 5 more presets on a second set of am bands just as they did on fm on the SRF-M37V for example which has 25 presets available and not 20 presets as on this newest model. This is especially because the am reception on this radio is quite exceptional in addition to all of its other very nice features.

3) It is as good as the Sangean pocket radios that I have recently tried as well (including the famous DT-200VX). It remains to be seen if the new (June 2008) Sangean DT-400W (with NOAA weather coverage and broadcast alerts) will compete with the Sony SFR-37W.

4) It has a one year limited warranty and clearly not just 90 days as listed on numerous websites, including Amazon.com. This time limit is clearly listed on the instructions with the radio (the included Sony warranty certificate comes attached to the radio instructions).

5) I get excellent reception here in the mountains of New Mexico for a super-portable am/fm/weatherband radio receiver with 20 presets (5 on am/10 on fm and 5 for weather) that lasts 30-54 hours on one AAA battery. Weatherband signals are weak by the nature of the short range, low power NOAA transmitters and you must turn up the volume to adequately hear them and then adjust it back down for most am/fm stations especially.

6) All presets are very intuitive and extremely easy to use (a one button press system) as well as very easy to set. They are also easy to change as needed, especially if you travel a lot. Also, as long as you change the battery within 3 minutes of removing it, no presets will be lost (fortunately changing the battery is a snap).

7) The SRF-M37W is as extremely durable and well made and should last a very long time. In fact, my son's SRF-37V (its immediate predecessor) was extensively chewed 3 years ago by his young puppy (whose name is his gal Friday since he first got her on a Friday) and it still works quite well! Also, the battery cover is normally hinged to the radio so that it can't be lost (unless excessive force is used when it is opened and in this case it is designed not to break, but instead to simply pop out, but can easily be reinstalled as shown in the Sony manual). It also comes with a belt clip that nicely and firmly attaches to the radio for convenience. It also has a lock switch to keep all settings unchanged (except for the volume control) with an LCD screen indicator for the locked position as well as a battery level indicator, etc.

8) When using it inside a building go as close to the windows/doors as you can to get the very best reception. Radio waves do not penetrate very thick structures well so the best reception should generally be found outdoors for hiking, jogging, just plain walking, etc.

9) As others have stated you probably will want a better set of earphones to fully enjoy listening on all bands, but the supplied pair is certainly adequate for most purposes. In addition, however, I have found that if you use a set of headphones with a longer cord (such as the ~1 m cord on the Sony MDR-Q22LP clip-on earphones), substantially improved fm reception results since the cord acts as the fm antenna on these radios.

10) For those like me who will use this device near a computer, some degree of RF (radio frequency) interference (static on both the am and fm bands) can be expected. The RF interference is substantially reduced the further you move away from the computer or if you hold the radio in your hand or if you can extend the headphone cord fully.

This Sony is my personal update for an old analog Sony radio (the SRF-19W am/fm stereo radio Walkman) from the late 1980's that is still working (also with no speaker and with a DX RF (radio frequency) gain switch even way back then)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio., June 10, 2008
RLA "Rallen" (Wilds of Wyoming!) - See all my reviews
I bought this Walkman for mowing the lawn and have ended up using it all the time, riding my bike two miles to work, while putting around my shop,and mowing the yard. The reception is crisp and clear, and even here in "Radio Free Wyoming", I can pick up several F.M. stations and the weather band. It is like having a mini-stereo system.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tried It, Went Back to Sangean, August 27, 2008
I'm a talk radio buff so AM reception is primary. Most of the things I could say about this radio have been covered already in the reviews here: strong, good AM reception (but not inside steel frame buildings and under fluorescent lights, of course), good FM reception, rugged build, good ergonomics and intuitive presets and tuning. Ann E. Revelle's review is particularly detailed and helpful.

Less discussed is the sound quality of the SRF-M37W, a primary consideration (along with reception) when I'm buying a radio. Here's my take: compared with two other pocket radios I have owned--the Sangean DT-110 AM/FM Digital Pocket Radio and the Sangean DT-180V AM/FM/TV Digital Pocket Radio--I would have to say the sound quality is a little less bright and immediate. It sounds as though Sony has filtered quite a bit, perhaps to lessen high-frequency static and hiss, or perhaps it is a function of the low-wattage power architecture.

At any rate, I like the brighter Sangean sound more, although I did not like the fact that the headphone jacks on both of my Sangeans went bad long before the end of their overall life (the little DT-180V only lasted about a year), particularly since they cost a lot more than the Sony. I ended up with two speakerless radios that are unusable. Hence I decided on a brand change and bought the SRF-M37W.

Anyway, after about a year, I decided to go back to the little Sangean DT-120CL (the clear plastic one). I missed its bright sound and it fits in my jeans pocket, which is not doable with the Sony. I'm happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars AM Radio Delight, September 3, 2009
Karl J. Zuk (New York United States) - See all my reviews
The Sony SRF-M37V is a palm-sized Walkman type radio that requires headphones. It uses one AAA battery providing reasonable battery life. It is quite superior for AM listening and has become a favorite with hobby DXers. If you are trying to hear a distant talk show, this radio is a great choice. The FM section is average in both selectivity and sensitivity. Your headphone cord doubles as its FM antenna. You'll hear local stations but don't expect miracles. Weather band reception was an afterthought. Sony's engineers did not add narrowband circuitry appropriate for receiving weather band stations. By using the same broadband circuitry used for broadcast FM, you'll hear nearly all seven weather frequencies at once regardless of which channel you have chosen. Unless you are fairly close to a weather band transmitter, do not expect to hear anything on this band. The radio does include a time-of-day clock, but it can only be read when the unit is off. Finally, all the pushbuttons on the unit are quite sensitive and can be accidentally pressed especially the power on/off button. Learn to use the button lock-out switch on the top of the set. It will cure your aggravation. Instead of the SRF-M37V, I would highly recommend the very basic Sony SRF-59 all-analog Walkman radio. It's half the price, works just as well on AM and sounds better. The only thing you will lose is the convenient pushbutton presets offered on the SRF-M37V. Either way, you can't go wrong. Both Sony models are good values.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this thing!, September 27, 2010
If you're going to get this, understand that you're dealing with something that picks up radio waves - geography and positioning of the antenna (built into the unit for am/the headphone cable for fm) are important. I listen nearly 100% to am talk radio, usually I get clear reception, but there are times when I have to move the radio from the front of my shorts (stomach area) to the side (hip area) in order to get a clean signal. This is clearly written in the manual (yes, one's included!), and WORKS! So if you take it on runs like I do (and listen to am), expect to adjust its positioning as needed. Eventually you'll find what works for you and your path.

One feature I kept reading on here about it lacking was a light - true it doesn't have one, but it does have a location finding bump on the "2" button. The layout is easy enough to figure out in the dark or when not looking - you just feel for the "bump," (giving you "2") then move right or left to go to preset 1 or 3, down for 4/5 or the weather band.

Another thing I love about this is the belt clip, although not really a clip like the Sansa Clip+, or ipod shuffle, it just as well attaches securely to my running shorts waist band! No arm band or anything else needed!

My only gripe with it is that the "clock" button doesn't seem to do anything aside from initially setting the time. I would love to be able to listen to a station, push the "clock" button, and have the time pop up briefly on the screen...maybe my radio is defective, but the "clock" button does absolutely nothing. The time is only viewable when the radio is off, and when it is, the clock is constantly on.

And of course I would recommend upgrading the headphones to something of better quality such as the Koss Portapros. They're portable and open, but have a lifetime warranty from Koss and provide better sound quality than what Sony includes here.

In conclusion, I love this thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Radio- sketchy packaging, December 29, 2008
This ended up being even smaller than I had pictured it. It's an amazing radio (no speaker, which is obvious, but just an FYI). So tiny- and I love the idea of digital tuning. Manual can be a big pain. The headphones were really old school, like the ones from the old sony walkman. I just used my ipod headphones or my computer headphones, and they were much more compact. The only weird part was the packaging. It's not manufacturer packaging, but it came on a cardboard backing wrapped in plastic. Kind of sketchy if you ask me. This makes me think there isn't any manufacturer warranty, but it works great, and is pretty cheap for all it has (including the sony name). Highly recommend (my boyfriend loved it!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for AM Talk Radio, July 17, 2009
I bought this radio for one purpose---to listen to AM Talk Radio. I figured it could also be nice for FM, but I already have an MP3 player with a built-in FM radio. The problem is that AM radio requires a much bulkier antenna than FM due to the lower frequency. Take it from an electrical engineer, these tiny MP3 players will NEVER include an AM radio.

There are some really expensive and smaller AM radios, but I just couldn't fathom spending $100 or more for an AM radio. There are some less expensive ones, but they all use analog tuners (a dial), and those often lose their tuning when jostled in a pocket. So I wanted AM reception, small, digital tuner, and not too expensive.

This radio works great for all of those. Remember---this is not some million dollar customized receiver with precision filters. If you are inside a building, your chances of getting decent AM radio reception with anything general purpose that fits in your pocket are low. There just isn't any signal to receive.

But I have found I get great reception wherever it is reasonable to be able to get reception. Uses only 1 battery, so it isn't too power hungry, and the hold switch prevents accidentally turning it on while in your pocket. Plus the FM radio works quite well, and I like having the weather stations for emergencies.

My only complaint---it should include earbuds, not headphones. Otherwise, great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what I want, August 15, 2008
I've used this radio almost daily for 2+ months while outdoor walking and indoor gym use. Reception is good. Battery life is below the radar (infrequent replacements - I use recharables).

The headphones shipped with this radio are much better than average.

I'm a happy camper.

5.0 out of 5 stars What I Was Looking For, August 5, 2008
N. L. Jaroch (Modesto, CA United States) - See all my reviews
First off I don't own the previous version of this radio. From what I can tell, the difference (besdides $20) is no tv. Which you will not be able to receive after February 2009 anyway. I have a Sony SRF-M85V S2 Sports Walkman Armband Radio that I use for running. I like it's timing features for running but the reception is lacking. I used it for 49ers games last year, and it left me looking for more (the radio and the team). I just got my new Sony Walkman Digital Tuning Weather/FM/AM Stereo Radio (Black) in the mail today. It is a step up in reception from the Sony SRF-M85V and has larger controls that will make it easier to adjust on my belt without looking. And still in a small package. Although it won't be game tested until next week, I think this is what I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 'ol AM radio, June 27, 2008
OK, I'm at that age where the music has died. I just don't get it, I need something to listen to. Talk radio? That's it! I looked around for a "modern" personal music player and discovered they just don't "do" AM radio. What to do? I had a 20 year old Sony Walkman with analog tuning, VERY small thumb wheel and very difficult to tune your favorite station while walking. This modern Walkman offers digital tuning with simple push button memory selection and believe it or not, large buttons. Out sweat'n with the oldies? Just push the memory button and switch from Bortz to Rhodes!
Great radio, great price, and best of all, very easy to operate..