4.0 out of 5 stars Music on the go
Published on March 10, 2007 by Kindle Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had saved my money
Published on October 23, 2010 by Magnum

4.0 out of 5 stars Music on the go, March 10, 2007
This review is from: Sony SRF-S84 FM/AM Super Compact Radio Walkman with Sony MDR Fontopia Ear-Bud (Silver) (Electronics)
I normaly had very little need for a pocket radio...however when I landed a new job which caused me to use public transportation it became a "thing to do"...I wanted something small that I could keep in an inside pocket & also that would be simple to operate without a lot of extra "Bells & Whistles"...The Sony is perfect...Its really small...simple to understand ...and has great sound...I have to say that I take the train & work in a downtown area so static can be a problem...It handles it fairly well...It uses (1) AAA battery and gets more a good deal of mileage from it...I would recommend it as a pretty good buy

5.0 out of 5 stars THE PERFECT TRAVELLING COMPANION, June 15, 2008
bryan catmull (melbourne, victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
having owned previous sony models such as the SRF49 I was intending to buy the current version the SRF59, however the SRFS84 was available at a big discount, and I purchased without having checked it out in store, there was no need for concern, as this little gem has surprised me with its performance both on AM and FM, both bands come in strong and the tone is from my point of view perfect, there is a bass boost if the program you are listening to is deficient in that area, I live in the inner city area and all major stations on both bands come in excellently, you may have to rotate the radio for some am stations, to align the internal ferrite bar, in all ways a far better performer than the SRF49,
as for size its perfect, tiny enough to be easily slipped into even a fob pocket, all in all a bargain for both its tiny size and big performance

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound!, June 3, 2008
I bought this little radio sight unseen. It was quite smaller than I thought it would be. It is one of the tinest walkman I have ever seen! What an incredible sound! The FM is as clear as a bell, the AM is sometimes not quite as clear but both bring in a lot of stations and local stations are very clear. The MegaBass doesn't really help the sound that much, but I was so surprised at the clarity of the sound and the clear signal, you really don't need it. I don't use earbuds so put a regular pair of earphones in the unit and they work fine. Rating this four stars instead of five for the ridiculous price of this unit. Hint: shop around. I bought mine on eBay--shipped directly from Hong Kong for about $30 and only $5 shipping. For that price, it's a steal! Buy one, or stock up. You won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony SRF-S84 (S86) Long range canon, October 10, 2009
A Kid's Review
It is a small receiver and doesn't have anything to play around with to strengthen reception of signal. No tuning leg, no synchronous detector, nothing.
The small knob makes it hard to operate. For first time I was disappointed until that moment when I started use this radio more often. With the stock earbuds, I received mediocre sound, but I enjoyed far better fidelity using my Audio Technica head phone to equalize sound quality for maximum.

Reception:

I had impressive results for such a small radio. I compared AM sensitivity on my SRF-S86 with one of my favorite digital Electrohome Lunchbox. The Lunchbox is able to pick up more than seventy stations in Vancouver BC area. Electrohome has digital read out and that was important, I was able to see where I am on Sony. SRF-F86 received almost all stations like the Lunchbox. In the Sony's case, some of the signals were louder and stronger.

With practice and patience on my part, the Sony SRF-S86 (SRF-S84) began to provide me a long-range "list" of signals from different locations: Sacramento, San-Francisco, Tacoma, and Calgary.

I had the pleasure to pick up some weak stations in my area, like 560 KPQ.
With good AM reception, super portability and sound Sony SRF-S84, S86 could be good companion for AM enthusiast.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had saved my money, October 23, 2010
I purchased this Sony SRF-S84 radio for one purpose only and that is to get one AM talk show. Even though AM is mono, I liked the fact I could get sound in both ear buds and the size was perfect. I read in one review that it was difficult at first to dial in a radio station. I figured I could get use to it as the one man did. Not yet. The radio works ok outside as long as you don't turn your head. The signal drops out. One of the stations this talk show is broadcast on is located in the city I live and still the reception drops out every time I turn or turn my head. I have tried to find the one sweet spot to keep the station in tune, but I have not found it yet or it does not exist. Once I enter a building, the reception is almost nothing and a lot of static back round noise. Sorry I spent the money on this radio. The 12 dollar Sony ICF-S10MK2 I purchased at the same time works much better, but the size makes it a little more difficult to carry while I work. Can't really say anything about the battery life because I have not been able to use it that much. But so far, still using the first battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Little Radio!, December 10, 2012

I was looking for a small AM-FM radio about the size of my iPod, primarily so that I could listen to news & sports talk, and baseball games (and occasionally listen to music) while on my daily walks.

After looking at a few models online, based on its features and customer reviews, I decided to go with the Sony SRF-S84 over the less expensive Sony SRF59 (which also received excellent reviews). I chose the SRF-S84 because of its slightly smaller size, the fact that it had the Bass Boost feature (for the times when I'm listening to music stations), and because it came with ear-buds as opposed to headphones.

My biggest concerns/questions were would it have adequate reception and reasonably good sound quality out of the box? The answer to those questions are that the reception is far more than adequate,as it is great on both AM & FM and the sound quality is superb as well (even with the stock ear-buds - which are far nicer than I expected). I've found that this little Sony holds stations really well on my walks and I have had no issues at all with stations fading in & out. In fact I am amazed at how well the SRF-S84 pulls in and locks onto even distant stations.

Another huge plus is its very small size which is perfect! - It is not even as wide or as tall as my iPod Nano (4th generation), and not too much thicker/deeper (enough to accomodate the one AAA battery that powers it). I find the analog tuner to be easy to use and has fantastic sensitivity to tune-in the station you are searching for even in areas with many stations close together on the dial. All other controls are simple, straight-forward and intuitive. I must also mention that even the belt-clip appears to be very sturdy. This tiny gem of a radio is just what I was looking for.

To say that I am pleased with this little marvel would be an understatement. It not only meets my expectations, it exceeds them. The SRF-S84 is a great little AM-FM radio, and would make a great gift as well! I would have to say that this was one of my best purchases of 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the money, July 12, 2013
great reception for a little unit,even works great if its in your pants pocket,even gets stations that are far away

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect small radio for my walks!, February 12, 2013
It's perfect size: small enough to fit into my pocket or attach to my coat.. The radio picks up small stations [I listen to PBS stations while walking] with good reception and it only uses one battery that seems to last for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony mini AM/FM radio, August 28, 2011
JT (Honolulu, HI, US) - See all my reviews
received on the date promised; sound quality excellent; especially happy with the reception as we can't receive certain sports station on other radios we own

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor AM Reception, February 17, 2014
I purchased this miniature radio hoping to be able to listen to baseball games on the AM band. It is by far the worst AM radio I've ever bought-the reception of even powerful 50,000 watt clear channel stations is miserable. Strange because the FM on this set is just the opposite-very good. I will be returning this item.