5.0 out of 5 stars The Sony STR-DN840 is sure to be a crowd pleaser
The "Product Description" and "Product Features" sections above report conflicting Wattage ratings for this receiver. The product description states 165W a channel. The product feature states 150W a channel. The correct Wattage for this receiver is 150W a channel. The STR-DN1040 is rated at 165W per channel.

The current trend in modern A/V home theater...
Published 14 months ago by Paul S. Remington

2.0 out of 5 stars Good receiver, annoying problem
Published 7 months ago by PJ

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sony STR-DN840 is sure to be a crowd pleaser, May 28, 2013
This review is from: Sony STR-DN840 7.2 Channel 1050-Watt A/V Receiver (Black) (Electronics)

The current trend in modern A/V home theater receivers is to embrace every possible form of modern technology that enables users to get the most out of their audio needs. This includes all forms of media, both online and in an enthusiast's personal collection, regardless of the digital or analog source. Sony has taken this into consideration with this new receiver but only for newer devices. Sony has been slow to add features such as AirPlay, Bluetooth, and WiFi to their receivers. Both the STR-DN840 and the STR-DN1040 now offer these features and they are a welcome addition. The Sony STR-DN840 and STR-DN1040 are both very nice receivers with some limitations that I'll describe below. They are designed to satisfy those who will integrate current technology, but are sparse in their support of older technology.

The STR-DN840 is a 7.2 receiver that delivers 150W at 8 Ohms into each of the seven channels. Frequency response is 20Hz to 20KHz with total harmonic distortion (THD) at a nominal .9%. The amplifier portion of the unit supports bi-amping and can handle 4, 6, or 8 Ohm speaker loads. These specifications are pretty typical for an A/V receiver and they support enough power to satisfy most consumer installations.

As far as connectivity, the STR-DN840 has six HDMI inputs; two AV inputs (one front and one back); two analog audio inputs; one coaxial input; two optical inputs; and one AM and FM antenna input, respectively. There is no phono input, so don't expect to add a turntable without a separate phone amp. Outputs include two pre out, one HDMI out, one composite video out/monitor out, and one headphone out. Network connectivity is provided by one Ethernet jack on the rear panel and integrated WiFi. Both 3D over HDMI and an audio return channel are also supported.

While the STR-DN840 offers a nice selection of inputs and outputs, it's not an appreciable amount of connections for those with a number of devices. For those with a TV, VCR, CD/DVD, Roku box, turntable, cassette deck, video camera, and Wii gaming console, the STR-DN840 doesn't offer all the connections needed to attach each of these devices. The lesson here is to list all your items with associated connections to be sure you'll be able to connect all of them to this receiver. In contrast, the STR-DN840s bigger brother, the STR-DN1040, supports a larger amount of connections. If you're interested in the STR-DN840 and find it doesn't offer all the connections you need, take a look at the STR-DN1040 and see if that better suits your needs. If you have a number of older devices to connect, manufacturers like Yamaha integrate a number of older-style inputs into their receiver; you might want to keep looking around.

The one feature that stands out for a receiver at this price is integrated Bluetooth and WiFi. Onkyo and Yamaha both offer these features at a higher price point than the STR-DN840, which is a nice selling point for Sony. Both the STR-DN840 and STR-DN1040 offer wireless capabilities with Bluetooth and WiFi. Some receivers offer network ability, but a WiFi adapter has to be configured separately to get wireless access with a local network. Sony integrated WiFi into the STR-DN840 and the STR-DN1040 and this is an excellent feature.

Another nice feature is 4K video pass through and upscaling, which supports the latest generation of 4K televisions. Upscaling ensures media at lower resolutions display on the 1080p format. Sony assumes you'll have this receiver for a number of years, so 4K video pass through is a nice feature. It allows the receiver to grow with you, if you plan to upgrade to this new breed of television.

Additional features supported by the STR-DN840 are iPod and iPhone connectivity by USB. You can also freely download Media Remote and Network Audio Remote apps to use your iPhone or Android device as a remote control. This is a relatively new feature many manufacturers are beginning to integrate. In addition, Sony has integrated the ability to sync to other Sony BRAVIA devices utilizing an HDMI CDC connection. These devices include Sony Blu-ray Disc players, BRAVIA HDTVs, and Sony home theater equipment.

Network services built into the receiver are music streaming through Music Unlimited, Pandora, Slacker, and vTuner. Music can also be streamed using Airplay. This opens the receiver up to a new world of musical content that extends far past the typical terrestrial AM/FM radio stations.

In terms of sound processing, the STR-DN840 has a number of sonic fields build into the unit. These sonic fields emulate the acoustic characteristics of different ambient environments, such as a jazz club, Berlin Philharmonic Hall, or a live concert. Some find this feature a novelty while others love it. It's an added feature worth exploring. Yamaha's RX-V line of receivers integrates a larger number of sonic fields. If this feature is important to you, you might want to also take a look at Yamaha's receiver line and compare it with other manufactures before purchasing this Sony receiver.

The STR-DN840 also supports the usual array of decoding formats required to reproduce many types of audio playback.

One feature missing is the addition of zone 2 playback, which would enable a second set of speakers to be installed in another location, like outside on the deck, downstairs in an office, or in some other room. Zone 2 coverage would make the remote app much more important because it could control the second zone from a different location within the living space. This feature is available in other receivers in this class range, but absent in the STR-DN840.

An additional feature missing is a phono input for those of us who still enjoy vinyl and want to connect a turntable to the receiver. This can be overcome by the purchase of a separate phono amp. These range in price from $50 for cheaper ones to hundreds of dollars for audiophile amps. The STR-DN840 isn't as accommodating for legacy (older) equipment and Sony obviously assumes most consumers are integrating newer, modern devices with the receiver.

Sonic quality is excellent for a receiver of this class. It has plenty of punch and power to drive a surround sound system and hold up against the workings of a decent subwoofer. Turning the volume down doesn't result in an appreciable loss in low end, as is common with cheaper receivers. Dynamic range is also good. Don't expect a thin and homogenized reproduction of sound. Music and movies play well with nicely detailed reproduction.

The STR-DN840 has a reasonable-sized footprint for having as much packed into it as it does. It measures 16.9" x 6.14" x 12.97".

Sony did the right thing by integrating Bluetooth and WiFi directly into the STR-DN840. These are very important features to many consumers and they make this receiver quite attractive. The STR-DN840 contains a nice selection of features at a very attractive price. It lacks multizone coverage and is a bit anemic in terms of connections for those with a number of components. It is also lacking in terms of support of legacy equipment, such as a turntable. For the average consumer, it has all the latest technological features built into it, ready for use. Sonically, it performs well as a consumer-grade receiver. It has clarity and detail that will certainly make it a crowd pleaser within its price class.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good receiver, annoying problem, December 11, 2013
I'm very frustrated with this purchase. I wanted to love it. The reviews were good. CNET rated it as the best receiver value of the year. So I jumped on it. While the features are great and the sound is good, there's one hiccup that keeps bugging me: when switching inputs (sometimes simply when switching between parts on a Blu-ray) the video will fail to be passed on to the TV. Audio will be fine, but I get no picture. Usually switching the TV off and back on again will take care of the problem, but not always. I was hoping that the recent update would take care of the issue, but no such luck. I know that some may think this a small snag, too small to drop the rating to 2/5 stars, but it is an ongoing nuisance that continually frustrates me. When I pay good money for a product, I expect it to function at least as intended. I haven't researched this issue so I don't know if others are having the same problem, just be warned that this issue exists

Update - 1.10.14:
After spending more time with the receiver, fiddling with settings, and swapping hdmi cords, I still am unhappy. Not only does the problem persist, I recently was unable to get any image whatsoever. I did a hard reset to factory settings with no luck. After switching the setting for "hdmi control" (which I've done many times before the reset), the image decided to appear on my screen. I'm now considering contacting Sony, but I am very wary of the hassle and questionable outcomes of sending electronics in for repair/replacement, if they're wiling to even cooperate, that is (note: this is not a knock against Sony's warranties in particular, just electronic companies in general). Based on my experience with this receiver, I cannot recommend it to anyone. Unless you absolutely need Bluetooth and wi-fi, other receivers should be considered. I understand that this problem may only affect a few customers, but the fact that a receiver has a problem with such a basic function which hasn't been corrected with firmware updates should give you pause.

5.0 out of 5 stars A big and easy upgrade from a 1990's JVC receiver, August 3, 2013
The Sony STR-DN840 is a 7.2 Channel 1050W A/V Receiver. It's a great value unless you need a second room setup. These are my first impressions. I expect I'll update this review later when I've lived with it a while.

This is replacing a 1990's JVC compulink receiver with composite-only video. It's been a very good receiver but technology definitely moved on.

The STR-DN840 Connectivity is pretty impressive with:

1) Built-in Wi-Fi. This is B/G only so this could limit range compared to N but security is built in for WPA/WPA2 security.WEP is also supported but if you're running WEP upgrade now as it's no longer secure.
2) 10/100 Ethernet hardwired connection
3) Built-in Bluetooth. It supports streaming from mobile devices with IOS or Android.
4) USB connection which supports iPod/iPhone music and video playback while charging
5) DLNA streaming support
6) Party Streaming support to stream the current audio program to Party streaming devices
6) There are 6 HDMI Inputs with 4K Pass-through and they support the audio return channel of HDMI so I just need one cable for TV in and to get the TV's internal audio: Very nice with less cabling mess.
7) 2 optical inputs for digital audio
8) 1 coaxial digital audio input
8) 2 video composite video inputs (one on front)
9) 3 stereo coax analog audio (one on front)

There are apps for iPhone and Android to control the receiver, which I like a lot.

The AM/FM tuner has 31 and 30 presets respective - way more than I need. Reception here is quite good with my outdoor antenna providing a great signal. Justifies never taking down my old style TV antenna from the roof!

The on-screen GUI seems functional but I would not describe it as pretty by any measure. It gets the job done, though which is what matters to me. The menus are laid out logically and it's quite usable. Somehow I expected a bit more from Sony in this area.

I have a Samsung TV so the Bravia Sony TV line functions are not helpful to me.

The receiver went in nicely where the old JVC sat. The cabling was much simpler with 3 HDMI in for 2 Tivo's plus one Blu-Ray. One HDMI goes out to the TV. The audio CD changer I'm keeping uses analog audio-in.

Speaker hook-up was simple, just reconnected the cabling I used on the old receiver.

I used a hardwired LAN connection instead of the built-in Wi-Fi because it was readily available and is faster/more reliable than wireless. If I didn't have the wiring I'd have definitely gone Wi-Fi. The receiver auto configured via DHCP.

I have not loaded the app for remote control onto my iPhone yet. I'm pretty happy with the remote. I like that the input buttons are easy to find and use and there is a largish volume rocker. I'm sure I'll get into more soon and report back.

For my ears the sound isn't dramatically better than the JVC. If I had not been listening carefully for differences I would not noticed. The big deal is the improved connectivity and interoperation with USB connected IOS devices and DLNA audio streaming. The HDMI connections are much much better than my work-around with the old receiver that didn't support HDMI.

These are my first impressions. I hope they help someone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste your money. PLEASE READ!, February 16, 2014
The sound quality from this receiver is excellent. Also, the Wifi and sound settings are a great addition. Though these features are great, the issue with the picture cutting out on my television is a pain. I contacted Sony about this issue and they advised me that there is no fix. The only thing they advised was to unplug the system, disconnect all the wires and let it sit for a couple minutes. After, I was suppose to reconnect everything and turn the system back on. This did not fix my problem. Next they told me to reset the receiver. By doing this, my problem was solved but all my FM and AM presets as well as my Wifi network and speaker settings were erased. Thus, I needed to perform the machine setup again. My picture has cut out twice since I have owned this receiver. I have owned it for a total of 36 hours I might add. I am currently in the process of a return and I feel that I should let other buyers know of this issue before they spend $450.00 on this unit. Though it has great features, disconnecting and resting the receiver is a hassle especially when it cost $450.00.

If you want more information google search Sony STR-DN840 problems. The picture cutting out will be one of the top issues. Also, there is a laundry list of people complaining about the same thing. I am not the only one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing for a Sony fan., January 26, 2014
HDMI seems to fail constantly on this receiver, Most aggrivating part is its connected to a Sony Bravia TV (KDL47w802a) and a PS4 and nearly 70% of the time i turn it I either get A.) No video B.) No Audio or C.) No Audio or Video. Looking at the Sony forums this seems to be a very common problem, I really wish I had gone with a Pioneer or Yamaha. The CNET reviews did not make mention of how faulty the HDMI is on this unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to connect to WiFi, returning, January 17, 2014
Absolutely impossible to connect this device to my WiFi network. Reading reviews online in various other outlets it seems this is by far the number one headache customers have.

I work help-desk in tech services so Internet connectivity is nothing new to me -- I do this daily. However, this receiver has an extremely poor interface and it took me thirty minutes just to figure out how to enter in characters! There is no keyboard, you have to cycle through letters using an extremely cumbersome process on the remote. You're screwed if you have to enter the same character twice, such as "AA".

Sony tech support people were friendly and patient, but every step they guided me on was a dead end. After finally figuring out how to input my WEP key the device kept throwing 'Unable To Connect" errors. I did this no less than six times. Tech support people kindly suggested the error might be due to the distance between the receiver and router -- it's not, both devices are in same room. We also tried IP configuration walk-throughs but connecting still failed, each time.

If you absolutely need Wi-Fi connection on your receiver then I suggest YOU STAY WAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE Sony STR-DN840.

4.0 out of 5 stars Space Age connectivity, Stone Age interface, August 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For an AVR in this price range, I expected the user experience to be a lot better. The first thing you'll notice is the lack of a graphical user interface. It is an shockingly glaring inconsistency. No XMB (XrossMediaBar) or any kind of GUI like that found on their other AV product. Even my inexpensive Blu-Ray player has icons for ease of navigation. With the Sony STR-DN840, it's just plain white text on a black background. The menus are sometimes confusing and entering in text with the remote control is a huge pain (no popup onscreen keyboard to let you type in the password to your WiFi, for example). By contrast, my Denon AVR-1913 7.1 Channel 3D Pass Through and Networking Home Theater Receiver with AirPlay and Powered Zone-2 Capability, while not fancy, has an easy-to-use graphical menu system that is light years ahead of the Sony.

The features I liked best are the jog dial for quick input source select and 6 HDMI inputs. I connected my 5.1 speakers using Sewell Direct SW-29863-12 Deadbolt Banana Plugs, 12-Pair. Very painless with the banana plugs. If I had to use the thumbscrews, I'd quite quickly go mad. I wish that the ports were color coded by group for easier identification (center, front L/R, surround), but that's a very minor thought.

As far as connectivity, I appreciate the inclusion of WiFi and Bluetooth, 2 features that my Denon lack. I love that I don't have to have another wire running around my apartment, however, this isn't perfect. As mentioned before, you have to key in your WiFi password by punching in the letters one at a time on the remote. There's no onscreen keyboard, which EVERYONE else has (PS3, XBOX360, WDTV, etc). You have to hold down the tiny SHIFT button in the lower left corner, then hit one of the keys to cycle through the letters. For "y", for example, you have to hit the corresponding button 3 or 4x to cycle thru 9, w, x, then y. If you aren't careful holding down the shift button, these keys control the input source as their main function, so you'd end up switching inputs and exiting the setup process like I did several times.

After getting the AVR on the network, the first thing I did was update the firmware, which took about an hour. I'm not sure.. I took a nap during the process because it took so long. The download itself was fast, but the installation took forever.

I use my Denon a lot for streaming music to it over my wireless network. Once both devices are connected to my WiFi, the Airplay icon appears and I can play music through my speakers wirelessly. The name of the song appears on my Denon LCD ticker. For Sony, the addition of Bluetooth is great! Once I got AVR paired to my iPhone, I was able to stream music to it from anywhere in my apartment. I had no problems with signal loss, as my apartment isn't very big (under 700 sq ft). The downside, though, is that the AVR showed my device as "BBP_S_IPHONE". The apostrophe and space were replace with an underscore, and there's no song title displayed. For connecting over WiFi, the pairing process is slightly more complicated and I had to add a Control Device. I found it confusing and it took me about half an hour to get that figured out. Once connected via WiFi, the readout is the same however. No song title is displayed. Is it really important to know what song's playing? This may not bother you, but for me I've gotten used to knowing what's playing whether it's on a friend's music player or my own, especially when I'm hearing a new song I'm not familiar with.

The apps for iPhone are not great. To fully control the AVR, you need to download 2 apps. They basically just replace the physical remote buttons with a graphical equivalent. Denon did it right and made an app where you can control everything right from your iPhone (selecting web radio, inputs, etc). Sony's app is severely lacking.

As for the 4k upscaling, I cannot test since I do not have a 4k TV. Overall, a solid performer with a terrible interface that ought to make you think twice. I hope SONY releases a firmware update that adds the XMB because right now, the interface is downright awful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wireless feature to access Pandora is horrible, remote sucks, bluetooth decent, usb doesn't work with galaxy s3, December 14, 2013
Just received receiver and already have 2 major gripes, will update this review if I come up with more (or if this product hopefully astonishes me):

1.) The remote control is ONLY compatible with Sony products. There is a power and input button on this remote labeled for tv. However this is ONLY compatible with sony televisions. I scoured the internet and this was true. There are no ways to input codes for non-Sony televisions

2.) One of the reasons I bought this receiver instead of a Denon, Onkyo, or even Marantz was its acclaimed features such as included wireless. I wanted to play Pandora. First off, the horrible instruction manual did not state you had the register the product on [...] (yes, ".tv" even for AV receivers). Instead it gives you website for sony music unlimited. Better instructions are available from Pandora ([...]

The most ridiculous thing is the only way to play Pandora is by having your television turned on the entire time because you need your tv to access menu to play pandora (no way to do this on the receiver without tv on). This really sucks if you (like me) have a plasma which has finite (though admittedly very long) life span AND takes up more energy than an LED. What sucks even more is that if you try to turn off your tv, the AV receiver automatically shuts off (so you can't just turn on Pandora using TV, turn off the TV but have the receiver play from Pandora). I checked with sony's live chat and they confirmed this.

3.) The bluetooth worked well for my family's Ipad, galaxy s3, and iphone. The junk thing is you have to manually pair it if you want to switch devices (i.e. it can only pair with one device at a time). I guess this makes sense since it wouldn't know what to do if multiple devices were accessing it at once. Though like my Pioneer car receiver, it will automatically pair with devices that are only in range (and first one it pairs with wins).

4.) I am unable to connect my Samsung Galaxy S3 to the USB (it does not read my galaxy S3). No problems with Ipad.

Conclusion: If you are buying this for its wireless features, take heed of my warnings. Ditto if you have a galaxy S3 or non-Sony television

Haven't tried any other features, just wasted a few hours of my life with this so thought I could save someone some grief

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible HDMI Handshake Passthrough Switching, May 6, 2014
Barry Cotton (Waterford, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This is the 2nd Sony receiver I've had that can not handle the main purpose I bought the receiver for, to consolidate and switch multiple HDMI signals for a single input into my TV. I'd hoped the first one was a fluke, but this one is even worse. From my DirecTV DVR I lose the HDMI signal at least every 10 minutes. The TV is still on but goes black, with a "no signal detected" message. The fix is to quickly pause the DVR and then power down and power up the receiver to it gets the handshake from the DVR back. VERY annoying and the last Sony receiver I'll ever buy. This was not a problem with my previous Pioneer receiver, that that swtich out being the only difference in my setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entry-mid level reveiver, March 18, 2014
Wanted a decent surround sound system, but didn't want to drop the equivalent of a mid-sized car on it. This unit hit the sweet spot. Has a lot of the more advanced features (bluetooth for connecting to a phone, wi-fi, etc) without going crazy (and costing much more).
The auto set-up is nice. Plug in your speakers, put the included mic in the middle of your room, and let it do the work of balancing the speakers. You can always fine tune it later, but makes for a great starting point.
Couple of months in and still working great (better be, right?)

Rate and Discover Movies