5.0 out of 5 stars A great 2-channel receiver for the price.
Published on July 9, 2007 by Kate Stokes

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor FM stereo
Published on August 19, 2006 by Marty Fin

5.0 out of 5 stars A great 2-channel receiver for the price., July 9, 2007
This review is from: Sony STRDE197 Stereo Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Gosh, I just don't even know what to say about some of the other reviews. (the negative ones) In short, they are wrong. If you have audiophile tastes, I'm sure this won't measure up. It seems like many people were expecting this to sound like an $1,000.00 amp. It may not sound like that, but it does, however, sound as good as amps 3 times it's price. I have owned many amps over the years, and this one works great in every way. For 95% of the consumers out there, this has plenty of power. If you have specific needs for more wattage, then buy an amp with more wattage for Pete's sake! If you have specific needs for audiophile quality output, then buy another amp for Pete's sake! This amp is made for the every day radio/music listener. it isn't made for people with specific audio needs. Don't listen to the bad reviews on this, seriously. They are written by people who should have known better than to buy this in the first place. They are written by BMW drivers who bought a Toyota and want to complain that it doesn't have BMW performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What the Doctor Ordered, July 20, 2004
J. Michael "J.M." (Kentucky Bluegrass) - See all my reviews
If you're looking for an economical FM/AM receiver, with plenty of power to rattle the windows and a straightforward operating approach, look no further. The Sony STRDE197 not only deleivers crisp, clean reception, ease of tuning and the ability to connect audio components such as a CD player and MD/tape deck, it does it with a minimum of fuss.

My 13 year old JVC receiver recently gave up the ghost, I didn't want to replace it with another receiver full of features that I seldom used and sometimes didn't fully understand. I already had a separate surround sound set-up and was looking for something that would allow me to listen to music via FM radio and CDs and with power enough to run two sets of speakers. I found that and more in this Sony product. Even the operating instructions are easy to follow. Imagine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Use your head, May 16, 2006
Some of the complaints concerning this item are valid, but it is clear to me that others did not do their research!

Check the resistance of your speakers. This amp is designed to operate at 8 ohms. 100 watts of power is only 100 watts of power with the right speaker set. and by the way... you must times the watts by ten to raise the volume 10 dBs, so the difference in volume from 35 watts to 100 watts is only a few dBs.

And don't run your speakers in parallel (through the same inputs), this will cause too much current to run through your speakers and overload the amp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony STRDE197-stereo receiver, November 5, 2006
An overall excellent value for the price. Sony well styled and considering that most receivers are now multi-channel this is a straight forward two channel receiver best for those of us having one left and one right ear. Excellent choice for den or summer home -not intended for a multichannel, multi switching audio video receiver control center.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only one thing missing....., July 4, 2006
Sound is good, controls are good, easy to hook up. I have been an avid Pioneer Audio user, but I'm getting over it now, since Pioneer products seem to be getting more and more shabby. The only thing I would add to the Sony STRDE197 is the ability to scan stations with the remote control. You can't tune with the remote unless you have stations preset. Not a big deal, but it would be handy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Performer For The Price, March 8, 2009
This product may be nearing the end of its product cycle as it seems the price has come down considerably over the past year and may be replaced with a newer model. You must consider that this is an entry level or starter piece of equipment if you are looking for something of true audiophile quality. For the average listener and then some, the Sony STR-DE197 can be an especially good buy at these lowered prices seen at many retailers.

Just about all of the functions you need to fully enjoy this receiver are located on the front panel, as they should be. Some budget models of other brands rely on the remote control for many functions and without the remote you loose a lot of control. Not so with this Sony. The direct access for selecting stations, in addition to the memory and manual tuning control is a welcome plus. The bass boost function is helpful for retaining a full bodied sound when listening under lowered volume conditions or with less efficient speakers.

Sensitivity and selectivity of the FM tuner is quite good for a unit in this price range. Multiplex filtering is very good and on a local lower power college station that I regularly listen to , this unit rivals the reception of one of my other receivers I bought for $500 ! AM reception is respectable for a unit in this price range along with the suppied antenna. You must consider however with the increasing amount of AM Radio interference generating devices found in homes and businesses these days a more substantial antenna may be required for best possible reception on AM.

Audio Amplifier output power ratings can. at times, be very misleading and overemphasized. The actual figures stated are only part of the equation for determining the usefullness of the output power of just about any amplifier. This unit is " rated " at 100 watts per channel. What is not mentioned is what kind of input signal was used and for what time duration the amplifier was operated at full power output. You could blast a 100 Watt per Channel signal at a certain tone frequency ( not necessarily music or voice ) for a short amount of time with no ill effect. However if you think this amplifier is going to give you stadium or dance club power for very long, I seriously doubt it. From a practical standpoint I would say at best you could possibly crank 40 to 60 watts per channel out of this amplifier without too much difficulty for voice and music when used with the specified 8 ohm speaker load. The convection cooled output transistor heat sink used in this unit dictates that not much more power per channel can be dissapaited over longer periods of time. Convection cooling is another factor that should be taken into consideration. There should be no restriction of the air flow through the sides and top cover openings such as stacking other components on the top of this receiver. At a moderate listening level you can feel the heat eminating out of the top cover which is normal. Double this if you are using two sets of speakers at the same time for insuring all of the performance and reliability designed into this unit.

From a practical standpoint this reciever provides enough output power to satisfy a majority of listeners and can provide room filling volume with appropriate speakers. I have been test running this unit for 6 weeks using a pair of Eltax Liberty 5 floor standing speakers along with a pair of Eltax Liberty 3 book shelf speakers stacked on top of the floor standers. I have used this unit with either of the speaker pairs and at times both of the speaker pairs connected in paralell ( creating double the specified loading conditions ). AAdditionally I added a pair of Tannoy Mercury M2 speakers on the "B" speaker output connections and have run all three sets of speakers at the same time under " lowered " volume conditions ( background music ) with no ill effect or overload sensing by the amplifier.

For the most part I have been listening to music from FM Radio, Compact Disc, Records from a turntable with outboard magnetic pre amp, and also output from a PC where I have hundreds of selections from 45 RPM records stored. I usually run the volume with the digital display volume indicator between 40 and 50 with the bass and treble set to max. At lower listening levels between 30 and 45 on the volume control indicator I have been using it with the bass boost.

I have other budget model receivers that I have purchased that sold for a bit less than this Sony did when it was being marketed at suggested list price. Those do not have the overall sound quality or all of the features of this Sony STR-DE197. Now that this model is selling at a reduced price, if you are in the market for a full feature budget receiver I would not hseitate to recommend this to anyone. I am very pleased with its performance for the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor FM stereo, August 19, 2006
The first unit couldn't even find FM stereo stations. It had similar FM specs as the Sony ST_JX410 AM/FM Tuner it was replacing. It was returned as a faulty unit. The replacement STRDE 197 was able to find stereo FM stations which played fine in monoral but were noisy in stereo. My 25 year old JX410 tuner did an excellent job on FM stereo stations. The second unit was returned for a refund. Sony's quality isn't what it use to be. I bought an Onkyo TX-SR304. The FM works fine with more features & expandability.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect receiver, November 14, 2005
A Kid's Review
this receiver is great, the reveiws made me a little skeptic on the quality of the product. One think i do note however is that you need to turn it up pretty far to get good volume out of it, but besides that it great, nice remote, and I had no problem reading labels on the unit of anything

4.0 out of 5 stars Great performer for a low cost., November 17, 2008
I'm not much of an audiophile. I don't possess the resources to be much of an audiophile. All I needed was a capable stereo receiver to replace my old Pioneer system (purchased in the early 90s) and viola: I am happy.

Setup was a snap, though attaching the speaker wire to the proper outlets is a little difficult, though that's more my own fault for placing the receiver in my stereo/TV stand just off the floor. But, what I got for my small trouble was a nice performing system (hooked up with a pair of polkaudio TSi300 speakers) that gives me clean and clear sound. I'm certain that a $500 receiver/amp would perform better. I also know that I saved over $350 not pursuing audiophile level equipment. This Sony set is good enough for my listening pleasure.

So far, in just over a year, the system has performed wonderfully and without flaw (except for the occasional human error).

The receiver can be played through a CD player, DVD player, TV, or just about any other type of electronics on that level. It issues a nice well developed sound for it's class and the volume level keeps a well modulated sound no matter how loud I turn it up.

I recommend this receiver for those looking to own a nice stereo music system for less than an overall total of $700. I have slightly higher priced speakers (as indicated above) but really you can settle for the Sony SS-B3000 pair until you have the cash to upgrade or update your stereo pleasure. I have my system directly connected to my computer as well and Windows Media Player enables me to play music for many hours at a time.

This is a lower level system, so if you are an audiophile of any measure then you probably don't want to start here. Just not enough for you. But, if you simply want to begin your music journey with the best system you can by for little money then this is the place to begin.

Enjoy your new Sony STRDE197 receiver, and tell 'em ceffalo helped you decide.

1.0 out of 5 stars An Inadequate Receiver, March 14, 2006
I bought this receiver from Amazon, & received it about 10 days ago. Since then, I've tried to play my cassettes of classical music. When used for this purpose, this receiver sucks big time. If I turn the volume loud enough to hear the orchestra playing softly, when the orchestra gets loud the amp shuts down & PROTECT flashes on & off. I have to turn the receiver off, then turn it back on, & lower the volume. Then of course when the music gets soft again, I can't hear it.

Rate and Discover Movies