4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value
Published on January 13, 2005 by Dr. James

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but nothing special.
I've been running my home theater on this receiver for about three weeks now.

(1) The sound quality output to my Polk RT loudspeakers is just as good as I've come to expect from Sony. Good for both movies and music.

(2) The design is very clean and fairly simple.

Published on January 31, 2005 by Christopher A.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, January 13, 2005
This review is from: Sony STRDE597 6.1 Channel Audio/Video Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I replaced a pieced-together home theater system with this as my new system's centerpiece. Before, I had a DVD player that had its own decoder, then output in 5.1 separate analog channels, then ran to two separate amplifiers- one for front speakers, the other for center and surround. Although the Sony has multi-channel analog inputs which could have allowed me to keep my old DVD player, I decided to simplify my system. Now one optical digital cable connects the DVD player to the Sony amp, then the amp sends the juice to all my speakers- much better! The Sony will decode any and all formats including DTS and up to 6.1 channels. There seems to be plenty of power per channel and a remarkable clarity from bass to treble.

I wouldn't call setup easy or simple, but after 2 or 3 tries with the menu I was able to select the proper number of speakers attached. One nice feature is that the amp can be set to A.F.D., which automatically reads the best digital format from your disc and powers the speakers accordingly. So once it's set up you can pretty much not adjust it again except for volume. For those who want custom sound you can adjust the amp to account for how far away your speakers are- the factory default is 10 feet which seems fine to me.

My only complaint is the manual didn't come with instructions for how to teach the remote to control the DVD player- especially frustrating since I bought a Sony DVD player!

Overall, this unit does everything I wanted, is straightforward to operate and provides a lot of power for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Features for a Budget Amp, February 22, 2005
This amp replaced a ten-year-old Technics Pro-Logic amp that served me well but died suddenly.

The 6.1 channels of 100 watts each deliver a much smoother and clearer sound in my Olson and Technics speakers than the old amp did. Music and movies sound better than I have ever heard in my family room. Other than special releases, I have no reason now to set foot in a movie theatre.

The DSP features are plentiful enough for the average user; after all, who needs 11 different presets just to listen to 2-channel stereo recordings? The three different presets for music are more than enough, as are the three sets for movies. There are also plenty of matrix surround schemes to choose from: ProLogic, ProLogic II Movie, ProLogic II Music, DTS Neo:6 Cinema and Music.

The only drawback to this amp is that it does not have a phono input. I highly recommend the STR-DE597, especially for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but nothing special., January 31, 2005
Christopher A. (San Antonio, TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've been running my home theater on this receiver for about three weeks now.

(2) The design is very clean and fairly simple.

(3) The set-up is not as intutive as the Sony STR-DE525 that I also have, but once I read the manual, it was not difficult. In fact, the "easy set-up mode" is quite...easy.

(4) There is NOT the traditional wide-variety of DSP options on this receiver. There are three proprietary Sony DSP modes for movies in addition to the usual Dolby and DTS options.

(5) The BIG Drawback--I was excited about the "headphone theater" DSP option as I often watch movies with my Sennheiser HD280Pro headphones. However, this mode makes the mids (including voices) muffled and tinny, and distorts the bass. So I'm using the traditional 2-ch. stereo mode for headphones, under which movies sound great. A headphone amp might help and solve the problems here, but I doubt it as it sounds like a processing problem and not an amplification problem, but I haven't tried a headphone amp yet.

Overall, I'd say that this is a good receiver, and is inexpensive since the 6.1 format has now been surpassed by 7.1 format. But if you're planning on running only 5.1, as I do, then this amp is a great value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good., August 19, 2011
I have had this receiver for close to six years and it sounds just like it did when I got it, if not a little better. I used it in my bedroom for the longest time, then in a small living room where I watched all the Lord of the Rings movies which they all sounded like the theater, Loud hard hitting, clean and very crisp. I can't say I don't like the center channel sound because I have a crapy center channel speaker.

the inputs and outputs are not assignable so I have my DVD player hooked up to Video 2 since that's what has an optical audio in put and DVR is hooked to the DVD input since it has a Coaxial only for DVD input. Yesterday I finally got some Banana plugs for all the outputs and the outputs are pretty flimsy but they hold steady. I've noticed that this receiver gets pretty hot, in fact I looked at the top of it and it looks warped due to heating up:( the receiver is not heavy so I'm sure 100 watts is the very limit to power output. The component video ins and outs are all right together so if you use Monster Cable beware of hard to attach and detach. pretty difficult.

I honestly believe if this receiver was available to me now I might not buy it due to little things like the component ins and outs, non assignable connections, flimsy plugs etc. but for the sound I've gotten out of this product from Sony I give it 4 stars. if it didn't sound this good it would've gotten 3 stars.

here's crutchfield's product page. here you can see a large picture of the back and the front and detailed specs.

EDIT: apparently you can't post links to other website in reviews, you can just google sony and the model number then Crutchfield and it's the first or second picture. you can go on their website to see details and larger pictures although I put some on this page.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good receiver for the price...but not for Amazon's price!, June 26, 2005
I replaced my old receiver with this one. In general I'm quite pleased. I can't, however, figure out how to make the subwoofer work with music; it only works on the "DVD" setting. The manual is no help at all and I haven't found what I'm looking for on the internet.

Anyhow...as most people who purchase it will say, it's a great receiver for the price. Whatever you do, though, don't spend 275.00 on it! It doesn't even approach 200.00 anywhere else.

4.0 out of 5 stars How To Use A Tivo universal Remote to Control a Sony AVR Receiver STR-DE597, March 3, 2010
David Nathanson (Southern Calif, United States) - See all my reviews
For those of you who have a Tivo, and also have a Sony AV Receiver model STR-DE597 this is for you. You may have noticed that none of the Tivo provided remote codes are able to control the volume on your Sony STR-DE597. Of course there is a trick. It is possible (and easy!)

On the Sony AVR the command mode must be changed on the receiver to AV1. The receiver and the remote are factory set to AV2. Unfortunately, the Sony remote can not speak AV1. The side effect of this change will make the receiver not listen to the original Sony remote anymore. No big deal, you can always swap this back if you really need some special function on the remote, even temporarily. But the good news is that after you do this, your regular Tivo remote (or universal remote) will be able to control the volume & mute on that Sony Audio Video Receiver.

Here's How To Change The Receiver To AV1 And then use a preset code from a universal remote.

1. On the Sony STR-DE597 receiver press I/O to turn the power OFF.
2. Then on the receiver hold down ENTER and press I/O this will switch Receiver to Av1.
That's the whole trick! You can now use your Tivo remote or universal remote to adjust the receiver's volume.

If you need/want to change this back, just repeat to toggle between the AV1 and AV2 command sets.

Other Sony AV receivers have a different but similar trick. On some you substitute the "input Mode" button for the "Enter" button mentioned above. Some other universal remotes may use code 1058 instead of 1059 to control this Sony after switching it to AV1. Or you can use a learning remote instead.

To program the Tivo remote to control your Sony receiver:

1. Press the Tivo button and the mute button at the same time for 5 seconds, until the red light on the remote stays lit.

2. On the remote, enter the code for your device.
For the Sony STR-DE597 code 1059 worked for me.
Wait a couple of seconds for the remote to stop flashing, then
3. try the volume up or down buttons, and mute. With any luck, you're in charge! :-)
From
[...]

1.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit deal, January 17, 2014
This receiver have circuit problems that make it a counterfeit deal. Some people did not tell you all the trouth about the "used term"

2.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly poor sound, February 17, 2005
Mike M. (Santa Barbara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this receiver in order to obtain optical inputs so I could plug my Apple Airport with Airtunes in and listen to music from my computer. My previous receiver was a Sony STRGX47ES, which I have been happy with. I didn't want all the bells and whistles of the higher-end receivers and assumed the sound would be fine. Boy was I wrong. I plugged it in to my Paradigm Mini Monitors (which I highly recommend!) and the sound was unbelievably poor, direct from a CD. Even my wife, who normally does not notice these things, agreed that the sound was drastically worse than with our old receiver. I promptly boxed it back up to return and have since "inherited" an STR-DE1015G from an uncle, and the sound is easily as good as my old ES model, plus it has the optical inputs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Never buy a Sony receiver, August 25, 2013
My experience with Sony receivers hasn't been anything but bad. Maybe they do have a few older models that still work but nothing with optical