5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfied

3.0 out of 5 stars STRDH520 does not convert component/composite video to HDMI
Published on June 5, 2011 by RHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfied, May 11, 2011
S. Brown (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony STRDH520 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I am very happy with this receiver and had no problems with set up. My system is fairly simple but it replaced a Pioneer receiver with no HDMI inputs, so it is nice to be up with the times. I went ahead and upgraded to a Sony BX37 Blue Ray player as well. I went from cord all over the place to 3 HDMI cords: (FIOS to TIVO), TIVO to receiver, Receiver to TV, Blue Ray player to receiver. I had a box of old optical, analog and component video connectors left! I especially like the fact that the TV still gets picture and sound even with the receiver in Standby, and that the receiver and blu ray player can be operated from the same remote. Many options for surround sound etc. so I am just scratching the surface. Very nice value for the money:)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price - But somewhat limited., November 30, 2011
This is certainly a great receiver if you need something to handle a TV and a couple of other devices. Sound quality is great for modest speaker setups, and the Dolby decoder does an excellent job. However, it's lacking in inputs and doesn't have much flexibility for multiple non-HDMI devices. For the price, this is to be expected and it won't be a problem for most people. But since I didn't see these things mentioned in previous reviews, I'll list them here:

* Component inputs will not be converted and passed through to HDMI to the TV. If you use component inputs, you need another component cable running to the TV. I know, no big surprise, no other receivers at this price point will do that either.

* No phono/pre-amp input. Again, not a big deal, if you're one of the few people that still uses a turntable (like me), you'll need to buy a separate pre-amp.

* A maximum of 4 video-capable devices can be plugged into this receiver. Practically speaking, at least two of those will have to be HDMI if you want to fully utilize this box. Component and analog inputs are extremely limited. If you don't have a mostly HDMI setup, I would recommend searching for a PDF of the owner's manual before buying this receiver to make sure that all of your devices can be plugged in.

* Fortunately, you can reassign inputs based on your needs, BUT this is limited as well. For instance, you cannot assign any of the composite (yellow) video inputs to the BD/DVD mode. The only modes that can handle both analog video and sound inputs are "VIDEO" and "SAT/CATV". Another cost-saving measure by Sony.

* Only one optical audio input can be used. The second one is for TVs without the HDMI audio return channel capability. If your TV supports HDMI 1.4, then that optical input will probably stay unused forever. It cannot be reassigned to a second device with optical support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Bang for the Buck, May 25, 2011
I was originally looking at Pioneer and Denon before this Sony caught my eye. For the price and the features, this thing seemed like almost too good to be true. Fortunately, it's a solid product. It may lack some of the higher end bells and whistles (S-AIR, AirPlay, etc) but for a solid 7.1 system for a living room, it's awesome. It drives a set of Sony 7.1 speakers very well and offers very clear, dynamic sound. This may not be the best choice if you have a huge living room, but I barely tap its power before it gets more than loud enough for my condo. All in all, it's an excellent product for an excellent price here on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., June 25, 2011
I luv this receiver, it has every feature available except one, no S-Air slot for wireless speaker capability. I have this DH-520 and a Sony S-480 blu-ray player. I am finally able to take advantage of my Sony bravia Hdtv, Sony 3d HD receiver and Sony blu ray, i have always wanted to hear dts-hd and dolby truehd audio formats, the receiver will decode ANY audio format available, I also like that you can change up the speakerpattern from7.1, 7.0, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1, 5.0, 4.1, 4.0, 3.1, 3.0 and 2.1 and 2.0. Awesome, very fast to switch between one another. Thanks to bravia sync, my 40" HDTV, my HD 3D receiver and my blu-ray player can all be controlled with one remote, any remote from the 3 units.Also this receiver has a nice selection of sound fields available, from HD-D.C.S, to PL, PLII, PLIIx, PLIIz, and neo:6 BUT...I dont notice much difference wit this and my old setup: a 1080p upscaling dvd player and a 6.1 sony reeiver. whenplaying a dvd with the 1080p dvd player using dts-es with the 6.1 receiver, sounds the same maybe even better than dts-hd blu ray 5.1 or dolby truehd 5.1, at least dts-es is 6.1 and extremely loud since i have a 15" powered sub and all my speakers(front l/r, center, surround l/r, surround back, surround back l/r, and front height l/r are all used with nice 3-way speakers on every channel, except floor-standing 4-ways for the front l/r)Definetely recommended as it has the capablity to do everything you need and is available all the way up to 7.1 dts-HD Master Audio and 3D with 4 HDMI inputs and extra component and digital audio inputs/outputs coax and optical.:)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Sony quality, May 26, 2011
What can I say, it's a Sony receiver. I replaced a ten year old Pioneer unit with this, and I am so pleased. My rats nest of wires has disappeared now that I only need one HDMI cable running up to my TV. The sound is good through my Bose speakers, and the setup was a snap. I saw that there were a lot of adjustments I could make to the sound setup, but the default sounded great to me and I haven't adjusted it. One thing I like is that it seemed to detect how many speakers I had plugged in and configured itself to work with them. Very nice.

It's a Sony, so it will last for years, and the HDMI and 3D capability make sure it won't become obsolete for a good while.

3.0 out of 5 stars STRDH520 does not convert component/composite video to HDMI, June 5, 2011
The manual shows that you can assign analog composite or component video signals to an input channel. It does not say that there isn't a converter inside to put those signals onto the HDMI output (check page 52 of the manual). You will need to buy a $40 external converter to make HDMI to input to the receiver. This is a major failure that's undocumented. Getting my inputs into a single HDMI for my TV was the reason for my purchasing this receiver.

The receiver functions fine otherwise. The main speaker output terminals use a strange connector that I dislike, but may be more common in today's audio products.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent low-end HDMI receiver, October 20, 2011
LN (Seattle area) - See all my reviews
Bought this to replace a non-HDMI Sony receiver of many years, primarily for the HDMI ports.

Pros:
- Cheap. Glad I didn't buy one 5 years ago.
- Seems (subjectively) to produce better sound than the older, more expensive one.
- HDMI switching works flawlessly (ROKU, HD player, Xbox). Well, this shouldn't be a pro but since I bought it for this feature so it gets special attention.
- Well designed input/output with simple control from remote(e.g. optical for TV audio)
- Pass-through feature: ok, it costs in term of standby power use but you don't always have to turn on the whole thing for everything.

Cons:
- Flimsy speakers' connector. Why have a few binding posts and the rest are just clips? Any wire larger than 16 gauge will have a hard time.
- Flimsy remote control. Hate the volume and sound field controls appear like twins. Anticipate sound field being accidentally changed many many times.
- Why not charge a bit more and throw in a basic programmable remote control?

Indifference:
- Analog audio and video

Overall, it delivers what is promised for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, May 18, 2011
I have had this receiver in place for about one month in extensive use with my home theater system and Panasonic 50 inch plasma. I am very pleased with the features and performance of this unit. It has ample connection options and all the power I could want for my application. The ability to fine tune output to match our speakers and the listening area is a definite plus which significantly contributes to our home theater experience. The unit has far exceeded my expectations and I believe it was a good value for the money spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great entry level or upgrade system for anyone, November 18, 2011
I got this unit to replace my ten year old Sony receiver. (STR K840P) The initial reason was for the HDMI input ports (4). My old unit had none. I was going to just get one of those gadgets that allows multiple inputs to just one output but after researching them, I figured out that it was going to cost me almost as much as this NEW receiver. It didn't take me long to decide on which to buy. ;)

The setup was easy, as I just sat it beside my old unit and moved the wires to the new one. The layout on the back panel was almost exactly the same as my old unit, so it only took me a few minutes. A new setup, from scratch, would take hours as you would be running speaker wires, placing speakers and the such, so I can't say it will be easy for everyone as it was for me. Then, all I had to do was follow the simple instructions in the pamphlet to tell it to use my old 5.1 setup. This is a 7.1 setup, so if you are replacing a 5.1, you need to tell it you are not using the extra two speakers (7.1).

Now, for the really fun part!!!!!! Boy, was I surprised at the sound!!!! I think it was a combination of my old unit deteriorating slowly over the years and me not noticing the subtle change and also the new technology of today's systems. I was WOWED out of my seat! My streaming content now really rocks and DVDs sound better than ever. And for the real test, it drove my cats crazy chasing the sound all over the living room. ;) I was as awestruck replacing an old 5.1 as I was replacing TV speakers with my first 5.1 ten years ago.

Oh yeah, I kept my old speakers and only got the new receiver. So, the improvement is solely due to the receiver. Also, I noticed no video quality degradation by going through this unit as opposed to going directly from the Blue-ray player to the TV. Plus, for audio, I was using the digital audio out port (orange coded on Sony's) for my audio on the old unit, so I was getting the best signal possible at the time my old unit was produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Cheap Upgrade, September 20, 2011
I've had a 5.1 system for about 8 years now and have been wanting to upgrade for quite a while. Found this and it was really inexpensive for what it does. I don't need a fancy network-capable receiver with 8 HDMI inputs, I have a blu-ray player with internet and music/video streaming functionality, a cable box, and an xbox 360 (even my TV will play audio/video files). I used to think I need more and was ready to spend big bucks, but so many devices are multifunction, and they all overlap, all you really need is just 2-3 HDMI ports and you're done.

Compared to my old system, I noticed a drastic increase in the dynamic range, and many more settings for customizing every detail about your speaker setup once you figure out the menus (took me 1/2 an hour to an hour to get the menus down). Once I realized that 4 HDMI ports are more than I ever need (if I upgrade something, odds are, I'll remove another device) and that this receiver supports 3DTVs for any future upgrade, I went for it. It's everything you need in a receiver unless you need more than 135 W for each channel or for some reason every device you are hooking up to it is over 5 years old and doesn't already connect to the internet on its own. Also, Bravia Sync is great and connects to Panasonic devices with Viera Link just fine.