4.0 out of 5 stars Great features, easy to use, only 1 flaw
I just got this receiver to replace an old Sony receiver that didn't have any HDMI inputs. This receiver works perfectly with my LG 47LW5700 3D TV.

Pluses:

*Easy setup
*Great sound
*Auto-volume keeps loud movies from being too loud. Our old Sony receiver we had to constantly adjust the volume during movies.
*Lots of inputs, easy to...
Published on June 13, 2011 by Bill Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay receiver
I bought this receiver to replace a higher end Yamaha receiver that was electrocuted. My home in Florida gets quite a few lightning strikes and I lost quite a few pieces of equipment. This is in spite of having top end surge protectors.

Anyway, this receiver works okay. Here is what I have experienced with this equipment.

The manual is not so good...
Published on September 19, 2012 by Steven Addair

4.0 out of 5 stars Great features, easy to use, only 1 flaw, June 13, 2011
This review is from: Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

Pluses:

*Easy setup
*Great sound
*Lots of inputs, easy to reassign other inputs if the pre-combined ones don't meet your equipment needs.

Cons:

I got this so I could put my older game systems through and have their video unconverted from 480p to 1080i. The picture looks amazing, but due to the video processing it creates too much latency to make the games playable. On my Wii I could hear Mario jumping (in Super Mario Brother Wii) at least 1 second before he jumped on the TV screen. I ended up running everything through the inputs on my TV (without the 1080i upscaling) and using the Audio Return Channel to just route all sound to the receiver. This made all of my games playable with synced sound. If I had known the upconverting would have created so much latency I would have just gone with the STR-DH520 and saved a few bucks.

Bottom line:

Great for everything except gaming. Run games through your TV and then the audio to your receiver.

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay receiver, September 19, 2012

The manual is not so good. It really does not give you a grasp of the context behind the various settings. It's voluminous, but useless. You will need some experience to set this up. The manual will not help.

The speaker settings are unusual based on my experience with Pioneer and Yamaha setups. I have a 5.1 surround sound speaker cluster with large left and right speakers and a large center speaker.

The issue I have with the settings is that you CANNOT customize the bass settings to your sub-woofer with the left, right and center speakers set to large. Crossover settings only work with these speakers set to small. I wish the manual was more clear about this. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why all of this bass was coming through the left, right and center speakers. The vocal sound (which should be routed through the center) was muddy. Almost nothing was being piped through the sub-woofer.

Another issue is that you can only set the left, right and center speakers to large or small as a trio. There is no way to set the center speaker distinctly from the two front speakers.

Now, I finally set the left, right and center speaker to small. Set the crossover to 100 Hz and wow... the sound was not too bad. So in other words, if you have a sub-woofer, you MUST set the left, right and center speakers as a trio to small. Even if they are capable of a full range of bass. Also, as a sub-note, my left and right surround speakers are set to small with 200 HZ crossover.

Now without a sub-woofer, the bass being piped through the center speaker would still cause dialogue to be muddy because you can't set the center to small if you set the front left and right speakers to large (which you must do for bass).

The other issue is this receiver has a relatively high THD (total harmonic distortion). So, when you crank up the volume you will find that the sound distortion is significant. If you have a small to medium size room with pretty good speakers, this should not be a problem as the system has little distortion at medium to loud volume settings. Maximum settings will be unbearable due to distortion.

Okay, I have had no problems with the HDMI. However, our Scientific Atlantic cable receiver will not work right with the HDMI Bravia control on (video will not reliably display on the TV). I don't need it so it's not a big deal, but for those who use HDMI integration between components, beware.

I pipe all of my systems through my receiver (XBOX 360, Wii, Cable, Blu-ray, etc.) and use the receiver as a hub. The video seems correct. I don't like to use video up-conversion, but I really don't know how to turn it off as the manual is not clear. Not been an issue, however so I don't know if a video processor is on or not. There is no indication either way.

The box is big but light. Also, this unit DOES NOT generate a lot of heat.

If you want a cheap receiver that works pretty well. I recommend this unit. For me, if it gets zapped, I won't be out the big bucks that I lost when my beloved Yamaha receiver died. This unit is easily replaceable, works pretty well. Generates fairly good output and is not too hot. Decent buy for the money.

It is not a high end unit and you will be disappointed if you expect something more than a mid-grade system.

Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars great home theater Receiver when paired w/Audio Polk Speakers, June 18, 2011
I ordered this receiver & some polk audio speakers( center ,main,surrounds, powered subwoofer) from Amazon.com at low price ,compare w/ market price.
I got the sound never heard before ;so real,so good like in the movie theaters.I'm glad to have all this without spending much money (less than $900 for the whole system).
Now I can enjoy Movies,musics at home .No need to go out like before.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Sound - not so good for video, April 29, 2011
I bought this for a 5.1 system in an odd shape room (rectangle room missing one of the long sides - it attache to the kitchen). I have it paired with some pioneer speakers.

Set up was just as easy as any other receiver that I have ever owned. It has two benefits over my past receivers though: 1) on screen setup (via HDMI cable to TV), and 2) auto-calibration of speakers (which is great for my odd room). I believe the auto-calibration did much better than I would have and the onscreen setup removed any confusion as to what one may see on the receiver's small (compared to a TV) screen.

The sound is wonderful. Watching a movie in 5.1 in an odd room with this receiver is just as nice as a movie theater. My dog even went to the back door when she heard a dog barking over one of the surround speakers.

I am unhappy in the video Upconvert/Upscale from analog to 1080i via HDMI. I was under the impression that when I connected my satellite to the receiver and then to the TV the picture would be better - it is not. The picture is better using the S-cord directly to the TV (I don't have HD satellite) as opposed to using RCA cable to the receiver then HDMI to the TV. However, the picture from the BR player to the receiver looks just as nice as it did when directly connected to the TV. So, if you already have something using an HDMI cable, connecting it to the Sony will not alter (hurt) your picture, but don't expect standard pictures to look like they are in HD.

The iPOD connection works with just a USB cord. However, if you want your iPOD to transmit to your TV, you need to have an RCA Video cable as well.

The sound and some features give this receiver an "A" in my book. I didn't buy it to upscale my video, but if I had, then I would have been disappointed in this this purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., February 21, 2012
Despite several negative reviews I decided to try this unit. We are typical, casual user's (Cable, Roku, DVD). Don't need anything fancy or high end. But after just 3 days of use, the audio failed on the SAT/CATV HDMI receptacle. After reading the reviews again, I see I am not the first one to experience that particular failure.
I returned it and replaced it with a Denon 1312 at about the same price.
Also, I like instant (or very nearly) visual feedback when I click on my ATT remote that all 3 devices (TV, tuner, STB) "heard" the remote. The Sony only has the digital readout which is a bit slow at startup. The Denon box has a red(off) green(on) circle around the selector knob that is very easy to see and instantly toggles if it catches the remote signal.

2.0 out of 5 stars HDMI Sound Failed - Just After Return Window Expired, July 15, 2011
Joseph Breen (Carmichael, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I chose this receiver because it had 4 HDMI inputs (the previous model had only 3). This left me one spare. 7 weeks after buying the receiver the HDMI sound on the "Set Top Box" input failed. I swapped cables and nothing helped. I switched the set top box cable to the "Game" input and it all worked fine again - except I no longer have a spare available HDMI input, all inputs are now used. I can no longer return the receiver to Amazon (30 day limit on returns) and if I want to get it fixed I will probably have to deal with Sony warranty service. It might be simpler to live with a dead input. I gave this receiver a 2 star (rather than one star) rating because it really does work well, when it works. However, a failure after just 7 weeks makes me wonder about the long term reliability of the rest of the unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good features, great price, January 30, 2012
Purchased this receiver to replace an older LG system and it is a major upgrade. Have had higher end products in the past such as Denon and Harmon Kardon, but decided to give Sony a try as they always seem to make solid, if not spectacular products.

My setup includes a 50" Panasonic 3D TV, PS3, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony remote, and DirecTV receiver. Combined this with an older speaker set and a new powered Sony subwoofer and am happy with the results. I realize that the audio is not top end, but this has more to do with the speaker set than the receiver.

Feature set is nice. Lots of inputs for HDMI and the audio return channel from the TV. This is especially nice for the Panasonic VieraCast applications such as Netflix and Amazon on Demand. The 3D works well through the receiver (we use the PS3 for 3D Bluray and utilize some content from DirecTV) and I can't see any degradation.

BraviaLink or sync or whatever Sony calls it works with this receiver, the TV and the PS3. This is nice as otherwise you can't control the PS3 with the Logitech remote I have. Didn't really want to buy the adaptor and still only wanted the one remote if possible.

All in all a good choice for an inexpensive, feature packed receiver. Maybe not something an audiophile might choose, but in the end, if that's what you want, you probably need a dedicated system for audio and one for home theater as most systems lean one way or the other. This is definately a home theater box, but it holds it's own when playing music as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony STRDH720 7.1 channel 3d AV Receiver, February 13, 2012
Purchased this Receiver so my kids could watch 3d movies.I loved my Yamaha receiver but had to upgrade for 3d. But I have to say this receiver has been extremely easy to use and set up.The sound is just as good as the Yamaha 465.I would recommend this to anyone on a budget. My setup is this receiver a samsung tv and klipsch speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony continues to deliver quality, December 27, 2011
I bought the Sony STRDH720 after wanting to upgrade my Yamaha RXV363BK that only had 2 HDMI inputs. I also felt that the Yamaha was overly difficult to turn features on and off and so I was looking for a new receiver that had 4 HDMI inputs and was easy to use. I am running Mirage front speakes, Bose center speaker, and a K&H sub-woofer so either a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver would work for me. I wanted to buy a receiver that wasn't much over $300. I considered the Denon AVR1612, Yamaha RXV471, Onkyo TXNR509, Pioneer SX821K, and Sony STR-DH720. All of them have 4 HDMI inputs and the Denon seemed to have the easier to use system.
After looking at prices on Amazon and comparing the features that I wanted I decided that the Sony had the best features and a system that was nearly as easy to use as the Denon. The best part was that the Sony cost just over $200 compared to the Denon costing closer to $300.
I've only used my Sony for 1 week now and I'm totally impressed with it's easy to use ontrols and the quality of it's sound. The user manual was very easy to understand. I didn't use the GUI feature or auto speaker calibration since I wanted to go with the simplest set-up so I did the fastest hookup "out of the box"...and all speakers seem to work great together without spending extra time utilizing the auto calibration feature.
I had hoped that the "pass through" feature that this model showed on the box would work with my 46 inch LCD Samsung TV...but found that it would only work if I have a Sony Bravia TV (but the other brands didn't offer this feature regardless of TV). I read where one reader review stated that he could not get the HDMI input from his Direct TV Satellite Receiver to feed properly without using a digital audio cord but my HDMI cord worked perfectly without using the digital audio cord.
In summary, I couldn't be happier with this receiver and for me it was the perfect choice at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really awsome, December 24, 2011
I have my uverse, TV, Xbox360, and a Blu-Ray player hooked up to my Sony receiver through high speed HDMI cables. I love that I only have to change the input to what ever device I want to use. It also changes the sound based on what I'm watching. For instance if I'm watching a sitcom, it plays the sound through all my speakers so I can hear it more clearly. If I'm watching a movie, it switches to surround sound. Very happy with this purchase.