Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on November 11, 2012
This laptop isn't too big and is a good size for my son. It is a nice laptop. Be aware that it doesn't come with a cd\dvd drive.
22 comments38 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2012
Great laptop, I read some reviews online and on here about it citing a less than desirable processor speed. But really when it comes down to it, with three or four programs running its still pretty fast. Its great for a student, papers and projects are a breeze, with multiple chrome browsers open and even my DJ mixing software.
0Comment23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2012
i bought this laptop for my fiance, so she could play world of warcraft with me and this laptop handles it with ease, no lag in game while raiding or doing dungeons and questing. im planning to buy one for myself, i rate this product 5 stars. I also use it to duelbox the two accounts and have no issues with this product, i am very happy with my purchase and i plan to buy one for myself. 5/5 stars
0Comment20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2013
Received this as a holiday gift, surprised it's preloaded for 64 bits Windows 8 core instead of Windows 7 that would be excellent for as shipped combo of 4GB DD3 memory, 750GB HDD (5,400 RPM drive is "slow") and used its automated recovery to reformat/restore C: drive / active partition just to be sure it's working. Surprised that Sony support already has downgrade directions and Windows 7 drivers for this newly released model as I believe many seasoned users will eventually downgrade. PLEASE make sure you save/keep the recovery partition and backup your Windows 8 license as it does NOT come with a MS Sticker so that you can re-install it later on. I hate the Metro interface on a non-touch screen and the touchpad is not very responsive so a mouse for scrolling is a must except when seated on a bus or economy airplane seat - go to cnet and download a free W8 "Start" menu to bring back that familiar startup, I opted to bypass & deactivate Metro so it's functioning like my other mix of Win7 desktops & laptop devices, fast & bootup/wake-from-sleep mode is fast, less than 40 seconds vs. 2 minutes for older Windows OS. The Apps are cute and designed to emulate iOS and Android widgets, preloaded games are fun but I plan to delete them to free up extra space, plan to use mostly 32 bits "programs" like MS Office 2010 instead of the Apps version. Video resolution is good enough for HD viewing on its 11.6" screen on the go with its 4+ hours playback time, enough for a transcon/coast-to-coast flight to watch my own preloaded DVD's or movies. The absence of DVD/CD drive isn't a big deal, owning 2 Dell's with optional drives for past 5 years and I haven't missed them on the go, most programs and apps/installations can be easilyy done via USB thumb drive.

Placement of usb 2.0 ports on both sides of laptop is a bit unusual in getting used to, plus a single USB 3.0 port that can be used to charge mobile devices even when the Sony is off helping to reduce # of travelers that I must bring along on a road trip. Keypad spacing is a bit tight for my big hands but for light typing duties, this fine with the addition of a compact travel (USB) mouse. Bluetooth works great to connect to the "Big Blue" wireless speaker for deeper bass and enriched quality sound. Wireless N and ethernet port are easy to configure and DHCP were gained effortlessly. Aside from standard VGA output, HDMI output with higher resolution is excellent as I easily hookup streaming video w. sound via average HDMI cable to a big 40" HDTV via its Function key.

Ordering an extra bank of 4GB DD3 memory for under $30, a bargain investment, and it should help the AMD dual core CPU and GPU to optimize. Internal webcam & camera works great for Skype and Google Talk/Chat - which would enhance productivity in staying in touch, and, as a great comliment to my smartphone & Nexus 7 WiFi device while traveling. Size-wise, it's small and practically disappeared into most laptop & backpack easily and would "hide" deep in a traditional Coach Metro Briefcase like a small/thin binder.

The Viao will go quickly to a sleep mode, beware that battery will continue to drain slowly in standby/reserve mode, so the charge will be reduced after a week or so and need to have the charger handy.

Overall speaking, this isn't a heavy duty business notebook but for causal users on the go, travelers and others willing to settle for a sharp but smaller screen with a lighter shoulder weight, everything plus extra accessories will fit into a small laptop/messenger bag, that will easily qualify as a personal item when traveling, with extra room for tablet & smartphone and other essentials - flying coach class on a budget and this should be considered.
on January 15, 2013
The laptop is cute and compact but i gotta say that it takes some getting used to. i like the Windows 8 feature, even though i'm used to Vista coming from the Sony Vaio E11 series. What made me give this computer 4 stars is that it operates a little slower than i'd expected. not mindnumbingly so, by any means, but slightly slower than my 2008 vaio. i feel that sometimes it experiences some questionable lag time, particularly concerning web browsing. it's minor and it's not like that all the time, but enough for me to notice. Also occassionally i'll have issues with the mouse freezing up, to which i fix by pressing the power button. but it's annoying when it happens, though infrequent.
I love the layout though. it's easy to navigate even though you have to get used to the "touchtoney" feel in that it's easy to switch screens when you don't intend to pan. a light touch is best.
it's smooth and sleek and easy to carry anywhere. i really like the computer, and would purchase from sony again. :D
on November 28, 2012
I'm not one of those tech savvy types with an overinflated sense of entitlement, so I'm very happy with this little computer. It holds a charge for six hours and I can take it anywhere in the house, (or world for that matter, unlike my 10-year-old desktop which is full of viruses and all of our crap.) I use it for word processing (sold separately), and general internet: Blogger, Facebook, the library, recipes, Pandora, Signing Savvy, and other work related stuff. On a Grandma note: you can use the keypad to adjust text size which is a plus for those of us who now wear bifocals. That, and you can entertain small grandsons with captivating train videos on YouTube. It's not meant to be a powerhouse computer, and I didn't need a powerhouse computer, so I am very pleased with this product.
0Comment18 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2013
This laptop comes with Windows 8 64-bit, which is a big disappointment compared to Windows 7. However, the start up time is a big reclaimer to the otherwise disappointing operating system. The battery life is excellent on average I can get about 4 hours and 50 minutes. The laptop can play 720p videos smoothly; however, at 1080p it tends to lag and not sync the audio with the video correctly. I believe this is due to the resolution of the screen and the necessity to change resolutions to a lower pixel display and not necessarily the processor.

Gaming:
Light gaming is not a problem. I have been able to play Starcraft 2 on medium settings comfortably as well as Civilizations 5.

Cons:
USB ports are very tight and make it difficult to input external hard drives.
Charger and charger port disconnection is EXTREMELY difficult to the point that I am afraid it will cause damage.

Final thoughts:
Overall I would buy this laptop again. The value for the price is great. I also recommend getting the accidental damage warranty.
22 comments4 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2013
This is a real nice, inexpensive Sony product with 2 important flaws to note. 1. The mouse pad does not work well at all. It is awful and you MUST buy an external mouse to operate the computer. YES, I have done everything possible to fix the mouse properties and sensitivity. Hours of tech help so don't even ask. The mouse pad is pitiful. 2. windows 8. What a horrible concept, as everyone knows. Soon to be replaced by Windows 9, as everyone around the world condemns windows 8. So, if you want to attach a mouse to this computer, and you like Windows 8, then this computer is AWESOME.
on November 27, 2012
The product was what I was looking for.
A fast computer, easy to move.
The battery is normal, approximately 5-6 hours of use.
The touch pad is not very intuitive, and does not compare to the sensitivity of mac.
11 comment9 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2013
Slim . Lightweight . Looks great . Good RAM and a 640gb HDD . Amazing design. Does everithing. Perfect to replace my old PC. the windows 8 its a little dificult to use but with practice you can dominate.