Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony VAIO E17 Series SVE17122CXB 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 9, 2012
I decided on this computer for a couple reasons: 1) The software package with DVD Architect and Movie Studio, and 2) Good value for a 17 inch screen, i5, etc.

I knew there would be a learning curve with Windows 8 and it is frustrating to start but in time all is good.

I do not find the lack of buttons below the Touchpad to be a bad thing. The corners of the Touchpad depress as if there were buttons. It's fine.

Tip 1 - Creating Recovery Disks
The instruction to create Recovery Disks in the Quick Start Guide tells you to go to VAIO Care > Advanced Tools. The problem is that there is a VAIO Care App that is easy to find and does not have an Advanced Tools selection in it. Go to the ASSIST button above the keyboard by the power button. That is the VAIO Care menu that you need.

Tip 2 - Touchpad
I had to tap the Touchpad in the center to select anything. The top was dead. To change the "Tap Zone" go to the Control Panel > Mouse > Device Settings tab > Settings button. Then select Tapping and a Setting icon appears. That is where you can change the Tap Zone.

Tip 3 - Shutting down the computer
In Window 8 you go to the Settings "Charm" and select Power. However I chose to configure the Power button to Shutdown the computer. Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power button does.

Tip 4 - Go to the Sony webside and download pdf manuals for the DVD Architect, Move Studio and Sound Forge Audio.

Tip 5 - I found more great tips at ...
[...]
on November 5, 2012
Although I had a negative impression of the touchpad initially, I must admit that once I got the hang of it, I found that it runs rings around the traditional touchpad that has left and right mouse buttons. For example, drag and drop works without having to press a button (just by keeping the pad depressed while moving your finger across it.
on November 30, 2012
I purchased this laptop to serve as a desktop replacement. The large screen looks great in 1080! I had bought a toshiba 17.3 laptop with identical specs except for the 1080 display and windows 8 but had to return it after it did not respond well to a windows 8 upgrade. Also the keyboard had a hump in it. This laptop has a better build quality and I haven't had any problems with windows 8. The black finish does tend to show fingerprints and smudges and this would be my only gripe. I have not had any problems with the touchpad. It is actually worlds better than the toshiba I returned. This is a fast computer and has great specs at its price point. Windows 8 takes awhile to get used to but is not necessarily bad just different. Overall I would say I'm very satisfied and would not hesitate to purchase again.
55 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2014
I change into ssd drive and start a fresh new windows, the battery is no longer being recognized as sony genuine battery, the annoying pop every few minutes. It said cannot recognize battery thing... really. I search around the web and found out i'm not alone in this problem.
on November 29, 2012
It came sooner than I thought and I love it. Getting used to windows 8 but other than that I love the computer.
on March 16, 2013
Hello all. This laptop is really perfect. It is very fast and the 1080p HD screen is very beautiful. Also the build quality from Sony is very good. The keyboard and the mouse pad is very easy to use. Very good deal for the cheap price.
on January 17, 2013
I already had a Sony Vaio from 9 years ago and it is still working. That is the primary reason why I chose Sony this time. Windows 8 is garbage however. The other big issue is the poorly designed touchpad/mouse buttons. Almost every movement on the pad causes the date and time come up and the toolbar to appear. It is quite annoying. What I did to remedy this is to get a wireless mouse to use instead of the poorly conceived touchpad. Otherwise after a few months with this product it appears to be stable and well worth the money. Would have given it 5 stars if the touchpad wasn't such a mess and Windows 8 was a better operating system.
on January 20, 2013
It is a good PC with high resolution screen. Perfect for watching movies and also good for playing games. Good as normal PC as well.
on March 12, 2013
It is really what i was looking for... I'm new with Windows 8 but it's look nice!! Maybe if it would have touch screen it will be a perfect laptop..
on March 23, 2013
This laptop was great at first. Besides Windows 8 being a pain to get used to and learning how to navigate the touch pad, I thought I'd made a good solid purchase. However, 3 months after purchasing, my laptop wouldn't start correctly and long story short, I called Sony and found out many other customers are having similar problems with this laptop due to a faulty operating system. The Sony rep stated that the computer programers are aware of this problem. I ended up having to recover my computer in order to use it again and in process lost all downloaded purchased programs such as Office, Kaspersky, etc. I also lost important documents that I had saved on the hard drive. Needless to say I am very upset that I wasted 700 bucks on this item.