5.0 out of 5 stars Issue with DVD drive & fix
Published 17 months ago by M. Powers

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated!!
Published 17 months ago by Jenny

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated!!, November 9, 2012
We purchased this laptop October 30th, 2012. We would have given this product 5 stars if not for the problems we have had with getting it to turn on. We were very happy with the smaller 14" screen, how lightweight it was, user-friendly, seemed to have a long battery life and we loved the way the keyboard lit up when any key was pressed. Here is the one major problem we've had. We have had this laptop less than 2wks. and we have had nothing but problems getting the laptop to turn on after going into hibernation, sleep and after being shut down. We have tried everything. We made sure the battery was fully charged, took the battery out and reinserted. We tried googling the problem to see how others fixed this problem and even called Sony Vaio Support. One time it would turn on, the next time it wouldn't turn on at all. We repeated the process all over again and sometimes that would work, but more often not. We are feeling very frustrated & disappointed. We have decided to exchange this laptop for a replacement of this exact model and hope the one we are returning is just a fluke. Aside from the problems we have had with this laptop not turning on, we have been happy with this laptop and would recommend this model to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Issue with DVD drive & fix, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Sony VAIO E14 Series SVE14122CXW 14-Inch Laptop (White) (Personal Computers)
The screen is bright, clear yet easy to read in environments with overhead lights like a library. It does not have glare problems to the extent my HP Pavilion does. The keyboard has good ergonomics and layout with no distracting flex. Backlighting is helpful in low light situations. Battery life is excellent. I was in a four hour meeting taking notes with Outlook receiving messages the entire time. The battery life showed 50% and another four hours remaining at the end! The synaptics touch pad works great once one does two things:
1) Turn off tapping in the device settings. I don't know why tapping is enabled by default on most laptops with touchpads. For the vast majority of people it just makes using a touch pad much more difficult.
2) Become adjusted to the button positions which are under the single large touch pad towards the bottom.

Windows ReadyBoost improves disk performance. I am using a SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s SDSDX-016G-X46 which I formatted as exFat.

Here is the first issue I had with a fix:
Machine: Sony VAIO E Series SVE14122CXW with windows 8
Problem: DVD drive not recognized in explorer or device manager.
Attempted to configure for auto play and inserted valid DVDs to no avail.
Sony support via online chat thought it was a hardware problem and I would need to return machine. Having dealt with HP, Toshiba and Dell support over the years I have found you don't get people with in depth knowledge and troubleshooting ability doing support. I tried some different things on my own and found a fix.
FIX:
1) Put bootable DVD in machine (like windows 7 bootable install media)
2) Power machine down
3) Wait 1 minute then power up
4) Keep hitting spacebar during boot
5) When windows 8 starts, it recognizes the drive and remembers it going forward!

What looked like a Sony hardware problem was more likely a Windows 8 problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this item. I really really did., December 28, 2012
I had really high hopes for this laptop. I was particularly interested in the Sony VAIO E Series for its price point, the build and design, it has good specs, and I loved the idea of having a backlit keyboard as this feature is more in high end laptops and was getting out of my budget. I looked up numerous YouTube videos and models for a solid week or so and came down to this particular one for the price, color, and screen size.

First impressions were good. I loved the packaging and box, and upon taking the laptop out, the design is absolutely gorgeous. It's very sleek and sharp.

The problems then started coming as I was setting the laptop up; first thing I noticed right out of the gates.

- A whole section of my backlit keyboard was defective. I even took it into a dark room and tested it constantly and fiddled through the settings just to make sure I didn't have a incorrect setting enabled or something needed to be enabled.

- The laptop was uneven on my desk. You could push down on one side and the laptop would slightly wobble. I tested this on several desks and counters around the house.

- The hard drive constantly made a scanning noise, even when the laptop was idle, I double and TRIPLE checked processes running in the background, but for some reason, the laptop began to be really noisy and there was nothing I could do to subdue the noise coming from the HD.

- The touchpad is an absolute nightmare to use. Scrolling is choppy, the cursor skips everywhere on the screen when typing.

I've owned many laptops ranging from HP, Toshiba, Apple, Dell. This was my first Sony VAIO product and I had high hopes as Sony is always known for their quality VAIO line. I was extremely taken back and disappointed on this model. I had high hopes and REALLY wanted to like it as its the best looking laptop around this price point.

I don't know if I got a lemon, but based on these models posted on Amazon, the reviews are very scattered from 1 star to 5 star ratings. It seems that the quality control and testing maybe wasn't very thorough. I will be returning this and maybe expanding my budget a bit to get something with more quality control, because this laptop needs some serious work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very stylish and nice looking, November 2, 2012
first impression: nice, and stylish, a good looking Vaio.....super fast, love the backlit keyboard really nice. and window 8 works flawlessly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would have loved it... Except for Win 8, December 24, 2012
I loved this computer. After doing lots of research looking for a computer to suit my needs I settled for the Sony Vaio E series. The keyboard is phenomenal - Beautiful backlighting (a novelty to me), no keyboard flex (great because I type frequently and quickly), and the keys themselves were awesome. The screen was very bright - An all around very attractive computer. Startup time was also great... UNTIL:
Within 24 hours of having this computer I started noticing glitches within the mousepad. Very frustrating. Also, after stalling Windows 8 "updates" my computer completely crashed. I spent 2 hours on the phone with tech support while my brand new PC had to completely reset. Needless to say it was a nightmare. It just froze on the start screen and wouldn't work even after restarting!

Finally, though I realize this is not Sony's fault -- My initial excitement was detracted by the fact that I soon noticed there was a small, but undoubtedly worsening crack in the plastic material surrounding the black trim of the computer. There were actually some wires exposed. Also, upon arrival the keyboard was popped out of place - While this is insignificant because ultimately the keyboard was fine, it is extremely frustrating that Amazon ships their products in these states.

Ultimately, I wish Sony should have kept their Windows 7 E series around a little longer.. Definitely avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Im in love with this computer, November 13, 2012
I pre ordered this computer.It came in a reltive time manner. I am a college student and use it daily. Its very good for writing papers. It took time for me to get use to windoes 8, but after using this I will never go back to windows 7. Very sleek and attractive laptop. Also lightweight1

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, December 6, 2012
Love this computer!!! Would recommend to anyone. I have had it about a month now. Easy to use. Get lots of compliments on it. I am going to get my husband a white one like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Must return., November 30, 2012
More than one crash.
Restore does not function as specified in printed material. Installation of software which worked pre crash no longer is installable. "Touch Screen" as promoted does not work. Windows 8 more trouble than its worth. Inadvertant mouse movements launch unwanted screen changes. Software, such as Skype and Firefox do not install. I've had enough. I will be contacting you to return the Sony VAIO.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Sony for me., December 7, 2012
I purchased a Vaio (specific model number no longer sold) a few months ago. My review is both about Vaio product quality in general, and the Sony customer service/repair process. I am posting it on Vaio products to alert other consumers what they're getting into when they buy a Vaio.

The screen on my unit had the backlight fail after a few months of use. I have had Sony repair it three times. Each time they returned it, it still had the same problem. After the third time, I gave up on Sony and purchased a comparable ASUS notebook, which has worked perfectly.

The reason why I have given 1/5 stars is because Sony was inefficient, rude, and downright dishonest about their "repair" process. Only once out of three times did they get the shipping box, repair process, or return process done in the turnaround time they promised. At no point did they actually repair the laptop!

After receiving the still defective laptop back for the third time, I called their service center in Laredo Texas and asked what they had done to repair it. They told me that the internal cable for the screen had never been properly connected, and they plugged it in. I asked if that meant it was repaired, and was told by the representative that they were unable to commit that the laptop had been repaired or would be functional. Out of the 2 months I spent dealing with Sony, this was one of the few honest statements they made: My laptop is still as useless as the day I first called their tech support.

I will never purchase another Sony product as a result of this experience, and to anyone that buys a Vaio: Hope that it works perfectly. Otherwise, Sony will take it from you for 12-20 days (not the 10 they promise) and then return it to you still broken -- 3 times in a row.

1.0 out of 5 stars dont buy it!, January 16, 2013
I had this computer for three days and the screen went black, amazon will not refund your money, major hassel to send back to sony, i was charged 200 bucks to repair a new computer! Warrenty wouldnt cover it, they claimed it had been damanged which was untrue! I found out they have received major complaints about the black screens! Sony want stand behind there priducts! Never again will i purchase a sony! Also disapointed with amazon

ARRAY(0x9f9738c4)