5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Vaio E Series
I was very happy when I received this laptop. After doing research and looking at my budget, I thought this would be the best fit for me. I am mainly using it for web browsing and photo editing. So far, it does everything I need it to.

Published 18 months ago by Jade

1.0 out of 5 stars It's good until...it's not
I had this computer for 4 months and the hard drive crashed one day with no warning. Sony has done little to help and it has to be sent out to be fixed. I have NEVER had such a upsetting issue with a computer so quickly! I will never buy a sony computer again. It was such a waste of over $700.00. Grr. Save your money and buy a Macbook!
Published 16 months ago by Stephani C

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Vaio E Series, February 22, 2013
This review is from: Sony VAIO E Series SVE14132CXW 14-Inch Laptop (White) (Personal Computers)

If you're looking at a higher end windows product, I would go with a Sony Vaio E series. I'm particularly an Apple fan, but a Macbook pro was not in my budget. So I went with the next best thing! I'm still getting used to Windows 8, but it's very easy to use once you get the hang of how everything works.

So if you're looking for a higher quality computer for photo editing, school work or just browsing the internet - I would highly recommend this laptop. It gets the job done and doesn't hurt your wallet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony VAIO Series SVE14132CXW 14", April 24, 2013
This is my first Sony VAIO purchase and I have to say it's really good! It's design is beautiful as well as the Sea-foam color I believe that's what it's called. It has a beautifully back-lit keyboard makes it very easy to see at night obviously but in the day too it looks really nice. It's very lightweight and thanks to it's 5400RPM HDD it does not get hot at all which is a relief because this is a problem I have run into with other laptops.
It comes with an Intel i3 processor which is great for everyday tasks and having several programs open. I use Cisco Packet Tracer while listening to music on YouTube or Pandora and having my browser, Mozilla open with multiple tabs open and it handles it very well.
I plan on slapping another 2 gigs to this PC to run better because I need it but for everyday use and stuff it should be fine.
This PC comes with Windows 8! As stated on the product specs. Okay Windows 8 is pretty good, yes it has a new interface but not so different honestly. When the PC boots you will be prompted with MS new Metro UI (User Interface). It 's very nice actually the apps are pretty cool and it just shows where OS(operating system(s)) are going. Many people have approached Windows 8 with a negative attitude because of the interface but if you look back when the transition went from WinXP to Windows Vista soon after Windows 7 people reacted the same but then got used to it and so I believe that's how Windows 8 is going to be.
*I do advise you to invest 5 dollars in a program called Start8* This program brings back the Start button that we are so used to seeing in Windows 7 and it functions just like Windows 7 and it makes the transition a little less painful with all the extra clicking that Windows 8 forces us to make.

Graphics are good too it's nothing spectacular but hey it's good enough. This PC can edit HD & 3D videos it's sort of like Windows Movie Maker, and it comes with Sound Forge where you can create your own music which is pretty cool don't think I will use it but somebody else probably will.
In the package where the instruction manual comes will be a promotional credit where Sony gives you 3 credits for you to use on Google Play where you can watch 3 movies of your choice with the selection given unlimited times. I don't think you can download it which is unfortunate but still it's 3 movies.

I know this is a long review and not the best but I do hope it has helped anyone interested in getting this PC.
Overall, it's a great PC. This is not suited for somebody needing to have Photoshop open with some Adobe Illustrator and 10 tabs on your browser open. But more for someone with little-moderate use and also this is price range I was looking for as well.
Feel free to leave a comment or a question and I will try to answer it to the best of my ability!
Regards,

Andrew Ramirez

1.0 out of 5 stars It's good until...it's not, April 12, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Mother board dead in two months, May 1, 2013
Worked just fine for two months and then the computer died. Every support person I dealt with from Sony was based in India. Each one of them wants to walk through a 15 minute trouble shooting routine of removing the battery, remove memory, etc. Non of the trouble shooting solved the issue. After two weeks they sent a repair person to fix the laptop. He replaced the mother board and the machine was alive again. Two and a half months later the computer died again. I called Sony to return the machine for a refund or a new laptop and they refused. They are planing to send a repair person out again. Does not sound very cost effective to me. At this point I would buy any brand of laptop over a Sony. I understand that sometimes you just get a lemon, the answer is replace the lemon or issue a refund. You really don't want to spend over 15 hours with Sony support!

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, March 7, 2013
I purchased my Sony Vaio in November 2012. Although I believe it is a great product in terms of performance for its price, I have had two major problems within 3 months of purchase. First, there is this high frequency noise, which is apparently common in some sony Vaios. It can easily cause headaches. There is a way to almost eliminate it by turning of the microphone, but one might think why I have to go through such a hassle of fixing a problem that should not exist at the first place. Then, I recently noticed cracks in the bottom corners of the monitor screen case, which again surprisingly turned out to be common after searching through forums. I have sent the laptop to be repaired; it is quite annoying to have to send your almost brand new product for repair when you actually need it!
All in all, I do not recommend this laptop; I am sure there are a lot of better-built quality laptops for the same price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect..., May 30, 2013
I bought this laptop with just three things in mind: good portability, long battery life, and solid build quality. And to my delight, the laptop fulfilled all three. However, I wasn't completely satisfied with the product and, therefore, unable to give 5 stars. Why? Not even a week after I turned the laptop on for the first time, the hard drive starting making abnormal clicking sounds from time to time. Hard drives aren't silent, I know that, but the noises produced from the laptop's hard drive were definitely far from normal. Almost everything else about the laptop is stellar though - good enough, in fact, to warrant 4/5 stars.

GOOD PORTABILITY
The laptop should be portable, given its compact 14" screen size. It's pretty thin, but also fairly wide for its class. The laptop almost fills my 15" laptop sleeve in fact. Weight-wise, it's right where it needs to be at just a little under 5 lbs. I like the slightly indented sides of the laptop which allow you to pick it up easily without having to really 'dig underneath' with your fingers.

GREAT BATTERY LIFE
Where this laptop really shines is its battery life performance. Just browsing around on the web, I was able to achieve almost 6 hours from a full charge without charging the laptop during use. The 5300 mah battery definitely helps. I left the screen brightness at its default setting which was pretty dim, but definitely ample enough to view comfortably. I like the fact that the screen automatically adjusts its brightness level to accommodate for the surrounding light environment.

DECENT BUILD QUALITY
Sony's never been shoddy when it comes to its products' appearances, and this laptop is no different. Though made entirely out of plastic, the plastic doesn't feel cheap. The laptop doesn't flex too much, but there is a little bit of a 'cratering' from the edge of the keyboard inwards. The backlit keys light up brightly as well. The touchpad is very large and responsive to multiple gestures. However, I wasn't a fan of the loud-clicking buttons below the touchpad. The buttons were not only loud but stiff too, requiring quite a bit of pressure to depress. And, again, the hard drive noise issue I experienced really was a drag on the quality too, but I hardly doubt it is a widespread issue for me to call the quality of the laptop poor.

Hopefully, if you buy this laptop, you won't experience the issues I had with it. If not for the issues I experienced, the laptop would've definitely been a keeper. Sony's made a really good laptop for the price!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, October 31, 2013
After four months, the laptop screen stopped working properly.
Half of the screen started to look so grainy. Additionally, software vaio care is very slow

5.0 out of 5 stars loving my laptop, October 4, 2013
It is the first time buying a Sony product and it has been great. I wanted a laptop that looks cheerful but does not skimp on technology. I love my Sony and i am sure we will be together for many years. And the pink could have been darker but the colour is unique compared to the usual pink you see on other laptop's. So I am very, very, happy with my purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lemon, August 6, 2013
Monique V. (Virginia Beach, VA) - See all my reviews
I received this computer and in the 2 months that I had it the hard drive crashed, worst of all while i was doing a HW assignment. I had to send it back to Sony to get the hard drive replaced!? Then when I got it back of course everything I purchased was deleted off (Microsoft office, virus software) How crazy that would happen right? Mind you I take excellent care of my computer so it was no fault of my own I just assume I was sold a lemon, I still had all the original plastic on the laptop when it crashed so I sent it back basically brand new. Thank god i had just purchased an extended warranty like a week prior otherwise id be even more SOL lol so What I've learned from this experience personally don't buy electronics on amazon, others experiences hopefully varied.

3.0 out of 5 stars issues within the first month., April 2, 2013
I have had to wipe my computer twice to factory settings. Not sure what the problem is but it is not convenient!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›