4.0 out of 5 stars PROS AND CONS OF THIS MACHINE
NICE LAPTOP,ALTHOUGH I GOT LITTLE DISAPPOINTED FROM WINDOWS BASIC GRAPHIC PERFORMANCE ,I GIVE IT A FOUR STARS

PROS :

- STYLISH MATT FINISH, SMOOTH KEYBOARD TOUCH.
- NOT AS HEAVY AS EXPECTED COMPARED TO SIZE, THEY ARE USING SOME KIND OF LIGHT WEIGHT PLASTIC.
- NICE BACK-LIT KEYBOARD
- YES ;SCREEN IS MATT FINISH, ANTI-GLARE, AWESOME...
Published on October 28, 2011 by CBJ

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy case
For:
The Premium IPS screen is very good.
Backlit Keyboard

Against:
Cheap plastic case, scractches easily
Plastic on the screen flexes and does not protect the screen properly. (My screen cracked and had to be replaced)
Power supply is a huge brick.
Published on August 21, 2012 by A. Chiu

4.0 out of 5 stars PROS AND CONS OF THIS MACHINE, October 28, 2011
This review is from: Sony VAIO F2 Series VPCF233FX/B 16.4-Inch Laptop (Matte Black) (Personal Computers)

PROS :

- STYLISH MATT FINISH, SMOOTH KEYBOARD TOUCH.
- NICE BACK-LIT KEYBOARD
- YES ;SCREEN IS MATT FINISH, ANTI-GLARE, AWESOME SCREEN WITH SUPER HIGH CONTRAST, VERY NICE HORIZONTAL VIEWING ANGLES, AND FAIR 15 DEG VERTICAL.
- DUAL ANTENNA WIFI n, mimo, CONNECTS AT 300mbs TO MY ASUS RT-N56U dual band router. 2.4 ghz only.
- FAIR BATTERY LIFE, CAN REACH 4 HOURS ON BASIC INTERNET USE.
- LAPTOP DOESN'T GET HOT
- FAN IS NOT NOISY ON NORMAL OPERATION, BUT CAN BE VERY NOISY WHEN ABUSING THE GRAPHICS, WHICH IS VERY NORMAL.

CONS

-HAD EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WITH VOICE CUTTING OVER SKYPE, WHEN I UPDATED THE GRAPHIC CARD DRIVER, PROBLEM HAS BEEN PARTLY RESOLVED, SURPRISINGLY THE VIDEO DRIVER HAS THE VOICE DRIVER IN THE SAME PACKAGE.
- WINDOWS EXPERIENCE IS HORRIBLE WITH THE VERSION OF THIS LAPTOP WITH 512MB VRAM NVIDEA 520, LUCKILY I REPLACED THE 512MB VERSION LAPTOP WITH THE 1GB VRAM VERSION; ONLY BUY THE NVIDEA 540, THIS ONE SHOULD BE THE MINIMUM CONFIGURATION FOR THIS KIND OF MACHINE.
- LAPTOP NOT AS FAST AS I EXPECTED, WINDOWS RUNS THE SAME ON MY CORE2DUO AT 3GB RAM.
- UPGRADING THIS LAPTOP MEMORY IS A MUST, AS GRAPHIC CARD CAN USE UP TO 2 GB ADDITIONAL OUT OF YOUR 4 GB RAM, MAKING THE LAPTOP BARELY BREATH ON 2 REMAINING GB RAM !
- I HAVE DISABLED MOST OF THE WINDOWS AERO GRAPHICS TO BE HAPPY WITH THE RESULT.
- SOUND IS VERY VERY BASIC, IT IS HORRIBLE WITHOUT THE DOLBY ENABLED, GET LITTLE BETTER WHEN U ENABLE THE DOLBY SURROUND, BUT THE SOUND IS NOT FAILY HIGH.
- DUE TO FULL HD SCREEN, IT GETS LITTLE HARD TO READ THE SMALL LETTERS.
- BATTERY PACK LITTLE BIT LOOSE, BUT NOT A BIG ISSUE.
- only 2.4 ghz wifi, but not that big deal.
- AND FINALLY THE HUGE CHARGER, IT IS SO HUGE !VGP-AC19V54, YOU CAN CHECK IT ON SONY ACCESSORIES.

OVER ALL, I LIKE THIS LAPTOP, NOT VERY USED TO TYPING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF A LAPTOP DUE TO THE NUMERIC KEYPAD, BUT TRYING TO GET USED TO IT. IT'S THE BEST PACKAGE YOU GET WITH ALL THESE FEATURE. IT SITS GOOD IN MY Case Logic VNM-217 17-Inch Laptop Messenger Bag (Black), PERFECT MATCH.

- WINDOWS EXPERIENCE INDEX IS :

PROCESSOR : 7.5
MEMORY (4gb) 7.5
GRAPHICS 6.7 with updated graphic driver
GAMIG GRAPHICS 6.7 with updated graphic driver
PRIMARY DISK 5.9

MY CONCLUSION IS :
I DO NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO BUY A CORE I7 WITH DDR3 VRAM, THE COMPUTER WONT PERFORM AS EXPECTED. IT SHOULD BE WITH A FASTER DDR5 VRAM.
I DO NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO BUY A FULL HD SCREEN LESS THAN 16.4 INCH, THIS ONE IS ALREADY SMALL IF U ARE NOT USED TO.
THE ADVANTAGE OF A FULL HD IS THAT UR SCREEN CAN FIT MORE STUFF IN IT.

HOPE MY REVIEW WAS HELPFUL.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Computer for a number of different reasons, August 25, 2013
I've owned this computer for over a year and I will say it is exactly what I was looking for in a laptop.

---PROS---
-Runs programs flawlessly no loads I use (Photoshop, Adobe Flash)
-Keys are easy enough to remove if you need a replacement or need to clean
-Good sound Loud speakers
-Comes with some good Sonyware (Sony Vegas, Soundforge, Acid Music studio)
-Fan is located on the side
-Screen is Anti Glare and very bright

---CONS---
-fan is good but the wresting your hands on you laptop is hot to the touch especially if you're running high intensive programs/games
-Can't turn off back lit keyboard
-Has Bloatware such as Vaiocare Please Please remove this.
-need to upgrade memory for better use
-Power chord becomes loose after several uses
-Webcam horrible
-Do not expect this machine to run GAMES it can run some decently enough on low settings but otherwise don't expect any kind of performance from this machine.

Games it has ran competently enough are Guild Wars 2, L4D2 and Counter-strike GO but trying to play Dead Island it will show its true colors like that of a fat kid in gym class, but I do not suspect you would buy this as a gaming machine, neither did I but just in case you were wondering.
-It doesn't do basic operations without user control (Order me pizza when I'm hungry)

---Conclusion---
It is overall a very nice computer with very minor defects and if I was to go back in time I would have bought this all over again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy case, August 21, 2012
For:
The Premium IPS screen is very good.
Backlit Keyboard

Against:
Cheap plastic case, scractches easily
Power supply is a huge brick.
Poor design the recessed design of the firewire port makes it difficult to plugin cables.
Horrible Sony software, kills performance of machine and is always updating.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's awesome!, May 16, 2012
I'd been deciding on a new laptop to replace my very very old Dell Latitude that was running a Pentium M 1.8 Ghz processor and XP Pro.

Aside from the obvious that is, this machine screams compared to the old Dell, what really stands out is how bright and vibrant the screen is. I used to think my old laptop's screen was pretty good, and most it is. But when setting side by side, the Sony makes the old Dell look like it's running on an old yellowed dimmed bulb.

The quality of the Web cam is lacking in the Sony, either that or it's driver related. The quality of the web cam isn't even up to that of my el cheap o Logitech. I've only tried it at standard room lighting, but that is where I used the Logitech, and it's just not very bright, it's grainy and lack any sort of color detail. I'm not concerned with this, but for those who may be, well, you've been notified...

Still new to the laptop so have been experimenting with what Sony software I want to keep and what I want to ditch. Vaio Care is gone now. It could have stayed, but I didn't see a way to keep it from loading unless I removed it, so it went bye bye. I do like the Vaio Control Center.

I downloaded Passmark performance test 64 bit and it rated well over 1500 in stock configuration. When my additional 4 GB Corsair memory arrived I re-ran the test and it boosted the overall score to almost 1800.

Only game I've really tried is the World of Tanks game online. My son wanted to see how it played as on his Asus i3 laptop with Intel graphics, 4 GB RAM is runs fair on low graphics. After trying it on this new Sony, he's always wanting to play on it as it run about twice the frame rate of his i3 laptop, running on high graphics settings.

I see some people rag on the WinDVD software, but when I inserted Transformers Dark Side of the Moon on BluRay, it loaded and played perfect.

What I like most, and what drew me to this model was the back lit keyboard. My aging eye really appreciate this feature. The mouse pad takes some getting used to. If touched on the far right edge, it'll scroll the web page as you move your finger. I like this, but with the pad being off center to the left, I find I'm getting this mode more by accident when I simply want to manipulate the mouse. In time I will adjust. Most often I simply use my wireless mouse.