5.0 out of 5 stars Did not believed bad reviews and got mine...LOVE IT!!!
Published on February 21, 2012 by Starikov

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed in this purchase
Published 5 months ago by Zoe

5.0 out of 5 stars Did not believed bad reviews and got mine...LOVE IT!!!, February 21, 2012
This review is from: Sony VAIO F2 Series VPCF234FX/B 16.4-Inch Laptop (Matte Black) (Personal Computers)
I'm a professional photographer and I was looking for a laptop with a big good screen for photo & video retouching. I've read bad reviews but considered them inappropriate. I've left a comment there. It's just been a bad copy which happens no doubt or might been a virus. This laptop is fast, has amazing full HD screen, a very good sound to watch movies (if you enable a Dolby function). Very comfortable. Internet button is awesome, opens your home page in a half second. Matte finish and anti blink screen are amazing. Overall it worth the money 100%. Would definitely recommend it for purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, February 27, 2012
I could not be happier with my purchase of the Sony Vaio. I do have to say it is pretty big, but that is something I can live with when I am watching a Blu-ray and it is super crisp. It is a beast though when streaming videos and downloading multiple applications. Excellent computer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Rig w/a Slight Reservation, February 11, 2012
I've had the Vaio for more than a month now, so the "Oh boy, a new computer!" thing has worn off and I know it's strengths and weaknesses. It works fine. It's excellent: fast, plenty of power for anything I want to run, and as many things as I want to run, even with Norton droning away in the background sucking up system resources. The keyboard layout is fine and the action is fast and light. If you're a fast typist, you'll like it.

The screen is the only problem I've had. It looks great on the windows-supplied images such as wallpapers. But when I watch some movies, stream TV programs or visit some websites, it looks like crap (blindingly bright, greenish tinge, blues and reds over-saturated). Then other movies, streamed content and web pages look wonderful. Like HD even when the content isn't HD. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what's going to look good and what isn't. I finally gave up trying to calibrate the screen, restored it to the factory setting and got used to it. Now I hardly notice it.

It's a physically heavy rig. I wouldn't buy this thing to lug around unless you've got your own personal roadie. Think of this one as a desktop replacement, which is what I think Sony intended it to be

Note: if you're having trouble with the cursor and the trackpad, adjust it. You can use it just like your smartphone, but I found the cursor got easily confused and moved unpredictably with all that on. So I shut off all the two-finger operations, in fact, I shut off everything that wasn't strictly move and tap. I also adjusted the sensitivity so it doesn't have such a hair-trigger. Now it works fine.

Overall, a great computer, once you get used to the screen thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Needed - Powerful for the Price, July 21, 2012
This is a powerful machine for the price. Equivalent systems run quite a bit higher on cost. This beast of a desktop replacement is not a sleek, stylish machine. It is, however, well designed, comfortable to use, and built for power and performance -- which is exactly what I need. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's lighter than it looks and won't be too burdensome to travel with when necessary.

Functionality: I wanted something that could handle working in 3D environments, building and hosting open sim virtual worlds, and filming machinima -- in addition to producing artifacts for digital and media arts. The visual display is beautiful. 3D virtual worlds look stunning with this and it handles high graphics settings at blazing speed, with excellent resolution. This Vaio F2 Series runs silently, except when running high performance graphics programs -- the fan kicks in at that point, and it heats up a bit.

The keyboard is comfortable. I like the back lighting. The Vaio comes loaded with a number of programs and preconfigured settings. I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and deleted programs that I won't be using. I also reconfigured quite a few things to suit my needs. Beware of Vaio Care -- they seem to be giving themselves permission to latch into your system, access your files, and monitor everything you do. I don't trust my data in the hands of random harvesters. I declined the offer.

Update: I had to downgrade from 5 stars to 4 due to power failures. Three times now the computer has turned itself off while performing simple functions in basic programs. Each time, electricity was on with all power cords connected and live. The laptop resumed normally when I powered it back up. The good news is that I didn't lose any work in progress. However, this makes me worry that someday I might.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best laptops I`ve ever used, January 4, 2012
This laptop computer definitely worth its value. It has a super core i7 processor with 6 gigs (I myself am going to upgrade it to 8 gigs). The performance is just wonderful and vaio`s design and keyboard are exceptional.

I strongly recommend anyone to buy this laptop. It is just a dream.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed in this purchase, June 26, 2014
I am very glad we did not post a review sooner! When we first got the computer we immediately had to put a fan on it. The board started giving us trouble right after the "amazon" return policy ended....and then we found out that because we purchased it through Amazon Sony would not honor the supposed 2 year warranty. We did not have the money to just throw away (due to family illness) so the machine my daughter needed to do her programming, etc. has been limping along and we can't afford to replace it. READ THE FINE PRINT AND CHECK WITH THE MANUFACTURER before you buy a computer through Amazon Vendors.....Buyer Beware....

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Vaio f2 series, November 21, 2013
I bought it some time ago now, but it is still a magnificent machine, no problems at all and looks beautiful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sony laptop failed after 2 months, January 24, 2012
I received the laptop Nov. 5, 2011. Today is January 24, 2012. A few weeks after having it, I was filling out an online application and a message popped up saying 'Your CNTL key is pressed'.. it wasn't. Anything I typed, wouldn't type and it kept opening a new window on the browser I was on. I researched this problem and found nothing. This happened off and on when I'd be on any browser. I had to continually shut down and reboot the machine. Two days ago, it happened again. I shut it down, and it wouldn't reboot properly. I went into safemode and ran every test from the laptop menus and also from the Sony website. Nothing worked. I finally got a black screen saying 'No Operating System available'. I called Sony and they are sending me a recovery disk for ONLY $70!! This should be FREE since it's still under a 90 day warranty. If this disk doesn't work and the hard drive ends up failing, they said they'll send out a Sony technician to my house (so not to inconvenience me) which will take 5-10 days. I probably won't buy another Sony laptop.

I called Sony on Thursday, since I didn't receive my Recovery disks(3) by Wednesday and they said the order hadn't shipped yet and the new person shipped a new set overnight. I asked at what point do I just get a new laptop. She said to call Amazon. I did. Amazon informed me since my laptop arrived on Nov 5-11, I was inside a special return window for Christmas and I had until January 31 to get a brand new one overnighted to me. I made the call to Amazon on Friday, January 27. Got it today, Jan-28 before 10:00 am. I went ahead and tried the recovery disks on the original laptop and they didn't work anyway, so I wasted $70 with Sony. If this one fails, I won't buy another Sony laptop.. but I do recommend Amazon. I loved them before, but now think they are awesome for being so quick to solve my problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars I hate giving this Sony a low rating, but..., January 28, 2012
...this Sony was such a disappointment. I bought it with high hopes and a high recommendation from the Best Buy salesperson. He compared it with the top-of-the-line Mac. It has a lot of good features, but is highly flawed. The touch pad is overly-sensitive. I could barely type on it without the screen resizing every few minutes. The adapter is very loose in the slot. So loose that it has fallen out of the unit several times. The volume button started to fail and would work inconsistently. While watching a YouTube movie, the screen started distorting. It became colorfully-staticky for several minutes. I thought it was an isolated incident, but it happened many times afterwards. Often times when I would scroll down on an Internet page and then scroll back up, the whole page would become highlighted and it was very difficult to remove. Also, without warning, while typing, the whole keyboard would lose its typing ability. Every key I hit opened up some random window. I used to turn it off and reboot until I discovered that hitting the CTRL key would solve the problem. It happened because the CTRL button periodically got stuck. Additionally, when more than 5 windows are open in Google Chrome, the last tab overlaps the minimize button in the upper right hand corner, and you can't get to it without closing that last tab. Finally you almost have to be a weight-lifter to lift this laptop. Can't imagine why Sony made it so heavy. The adapter was twice as heavy as a normal adapter that comes with most laptops. Very awkward to transport. I wouldn't exactly call it portable-friendly.

Two good things about the Sony are the screen clarity and lit keyboard. Because of the outstanding reputation that Sony has for high-quality laptops, I was surprised at all of the imperfections. I thought this would be a computer that would keep me happy for at least 6-7 years, but the outcome was disastrous. So on the last eligible day, I took it back to Best Buy and traded it for a Toshiba Satellite P775-S7320. It was $350 less, and works like a charm. Couldn't be happier with my new Toshiba! Bottom line, I would not recommend this particular Sony Vaio laptop. If you purchase one, be sure to first find out the return policy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too much!, June 11, 2012
Great product, but it's too heavy and too big. It's more like a Desktop, not a Laptop.
Sony Vaio computers are awesome, but this one doesn't look like a notebook, beacause of its enormous weight.
They should only improve this.