5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Smartwatch Part 2 (3rd edition)
Published 10 months ago by J. Kha

3.0 out of 5 stars Blu Tooth Issues resolved - Updated
Published 11 months ago by V. K. Balasubramanian

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Smartwatch Part 2 (3rd edition), October 7, 2013
This review is from: Sony Smart Watch SW2 for Android Phones (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I have the previous edition SW1 and I decided to upgrade to this year's model. Compared to last year's edition, this is a complete redesign. Sony basically addressed all the complaints from last years model and has taken most of the advantages of the Pebble Smartwatch away. Everything is better including the look, fit, and finish. I get a lot of compliments for how good the watch looks. Last year's model was almost a iPod Nano with a watch strap.

Here are the pros:

-bigger and better screen (1.3" vs 1.6"-full Transflective display 220x176 & scratch-resistant)
-longer battery life (3-7 days depending on usage vs 2-3 days previously)
-more touch sensitive
-back/home/menu buttons like all Android phones
-menu is easier to use (no touch controls to close apps or swiping up and down)
-settings in watch to switch clocks and apps (some apps still require in phone settings)
-easier setup with NFC and tap with phone (make sure you enable NFC in your phone)
-water resistant IP57 (30 minutes in FRESH water up to a depth of 1 meter & dust proof)
-lots of free apps (weather, currency, photo slideshow, Twitter, Facebook, GPS, games like Blackjack etc.)
-easier to charge with standard micro USB charger (proprietary connection previously)
-easier to see in daylight
-watch is always on to tell time but dims to save battery, push power button to lighten up (previous model turned off with no time display)
-works with any Android smartphone running version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or later
-aluminum body (plastic body previously)
-ability to change watch band (it can take any standard watch strap that is 24 millimeters wide).
-all previous apps work from last year's model

cons:
-limited apps out made for the SW2, but this will change as it's just been released
-currently only 5 watch faces in settings (there are paid apps with more)

What do I use my watch for?
-Tell time of course, but also with the ability to change the look each day (almost a new watch daily).
-Notifications for emails, texts, tweets, and calls (discreetly reading a text during a meeting or while driving or in a theater).
-Never miss a call again when you are outside (watch vibrates when calls come in, you can answer or end call--still need phone to talk).
-Finding my phone (I can call my phone from the watch to hear where I left it).
-Never leave your phone behind again (because it's connected by bluetooth, the watch will vibrate to notify if you are too from it or the connection has been lost).
-There are unlimited uses as more apps become available. Some others include a flashlight, viewing my camera while I'm away from my phone, remotely turning phone to silent or vibrate mode etc.

Note: Sony created "Open Smarthwatch Project" this past summer to third-party firmware which enables any developer to create apps for their smartwatches. So there is no need to worry about a lack of future support. This watch is actually Sony's third smartwatch. In 2010 Sony Ericsson unveiled the "LiveView Watch" and 2012 Sony released "SmartWatch 1" (bought out Ericsson).

Update Oct 23rd, 2013
I've had the watch for just over two weeks now. I've managed to get almost 7 days battery life by turning the watch off each night before bed. Without turning it off, I managed to get about 5 days. So if you are lazy at charging, turn off the watch to get an extra couple of days. Another tip for a fast charge (approx. 1 hour), I use a 10 watt AC adapter charger that came with my Nexus 7--like I mentioned, that standard micro USB is handy. These 10 watt AC adapter chargers can be found online for $10.

Update 2 Dec 6, 2013
I received a free update for the watch last night, Sony has doubled the total watch faces to 10! There are some very nice designs from digital, analog, and classic museum styles.

Anyone trying to decide between the Sony SW2 or Samsung Gear may want to read this article:
Sony outsmarts Samsung with SmartWatch 2
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars As Useful as I Hoped - Better than Galaxy Gear, October 10, 2013
Adam (CANYON COUNTRY, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I've had my SW2 for a few days now and haven't taken it off (except to sleep). I was looking for a device that would allow me to check texts, calls, emails and other notifications without getting my phone out and the SW2 does the job very nicely. Overall I find it incredibly useful.

What I like:
Not as bulky as I thought - Although the pictures of it make it look very large, it feels like a regular watch. Not too bulky or heavy at all and very comfy. I was able to compare it to a friends Samsung Galaxy Gear and the Samsung was very bulky compared to this one.
Functionality - Checking messages and updates right on the watch is very easy and intuitive.
Battery lasts longer than expected. It looks like I can go at least 2 full days, maybe 3 before charging. I was expecting to have to charge every night.
Apps - There are a whole bunch of apps already out for this watch and more coming all the time.
Doesn't have mic, camera or speaker. Some may consider this a fault, but I actually never planned to use these features that other smart watches have (who really wants to make calls by talking into the watch?). I'm glad Sony chose to pass on them to make the watch slimmer.

What I didn't like so much:
Screen resolution - The resolution seems pretty low. Considering you are reading very small text regularly, I wish it had a sharper screen (the Samsung has better screen resolution).
Got stuck on setup - After connecting to the phone and installing the required software, the watch stuck on a screen wanting me to sync with the phone again though it already was. I ended up having to reset the watch a couple times during setup. However, once it began working, it kept working. Haven't had any problems since. I didn't even try to use the NFC pairing because I've never done it and it's easy enough to pair the usual way.

Overall, the SW2 does everything I was looking for without being too bulky or expensive. If you're debating between this or the (more expensive) Samsung Galaxy Gear, get this one (unless you really need to be able to talk to the watch or take pictures from it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as it should, October 13, 2013
m. a. (corona, ca, US) - See all my reviews
I have had the watch for about a week and found I to be very useful.
I wanted a smartwatch I could use to get notifications while my phone was in my bag. While most smartwatches accomplish this task, the sony does so while being dust and waterproof, able to be read in bright sun, and having the battery last more than two days in normal use.
Let's talk about the set up:
I have a galaxy 4 and had to download the Smart Connect app from google play. The watch paired quickly using the NFC chip. It prompts you to download the software, and you use the Smart Connect software to download/buy more apps.
Most of the useful apps are free. I bought a few more such as a calculator app, a calendar app, and a notification app.
Using the watch :
The watch is very light and fits well for its size. You can choose any 24mm conventional watch band to change the look of the watch. The display is bright and has a good resolution for the screen size. I really don't see a problem with the resolution during normal use. When the watch is in sleep mode, the numbers are easy to read in the sun but you may have to push the power button in dim light because the screen uses reflected, ambient light for the display in sleep mode.
The screen is responsive, albeit the apps sometimes take a bit to load. I have not found a way to arrange the icons to my liking, but I hope this is addressed soon.
I ride a motorcycle and attend many meetings. Both of these activities lend themselves well to the use of a smartwatch I can leave my phone in my pocket or bag and still get updates from gmail,phone calls,texts,and weather without anyone noticing, or taking my hands off the handlebars.
Charging is easy via micro USB port. It has about a 30 foot range from the phone and reconnects easily when you come within range again
Overall, it is a great product which accomplishes everything it is intended to do. I needed the waterproof capability and liked the fact you can change the band.
UPDATE-I have had more compliments on this watch than my Tag or Breitling! It really is a modern, sophisticated watch
I sometimes have to restart my phone in order to get it to work (the screen becomes unresponsive). I don't know if this is due to the watch, apps, or a connectivity issue. Not a big deal in my book, but something to be aware of.

4.0 out of 5 stars I tried the Galaxy Gear and liked the SmartWatch 2 better. A much better value., December 3, 2013
I tried out the Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch but after a few days returned it and decided to try the Sony SmartWatch 2. This review is a bit of a comparison of the two watches. I hands down prefer the SmartWatch 2 over the Galaxy Gear for several reasons.

1) The strength of this watch is that it isn't trying to be everything. Because of that, the price is now 1/2 of what the Galaxy Gear cost and that makes this watch a very good value.

2) Don't sweat the lack of camera or speaker phone that the galaxy gear has. The camera was gimicky on the Galaxy Gear and unnecessary. The speakerphone while useful at times in the Galaxy gear, is not something I miss at all now that I've switched to the SmartWatch 2.

3) I think the Sony SmartWatch 2 looks better than the Gear. It has a subtlely handsome look and an understated quality feel and appearance to it. You can wear this watch with almost anything and it would not clash or draw attention to.

4) I got a few compliments from women and men about my watch the first day I wore it to work. No one has any clue it's a smartwatch at first and just think it looks cool. The Galaxy Gear I thought was more eye catching in a way I didn't like or want.

5) The display on the SmartWatch 2 is always showing the time. I love it! The GG has the display off until you bring up your wrist up in front of you to look at the time, then it would delay for an awkward second, before the screen turns on and you can see the time. The SmartWatch 2 is easy to tell the time at any time.

6) I work in a hospital and must do constant hand washing. The SmartWatch 2 is waterproof, while the Galaxy Gear is not. I was very afraid to splash water on the GG and it drove me nuts as I don't have time while working to have to worry about drying my watch all the time or trying to protect it from splashes.

7) The screen on the SmartWatch looks just fine. It's not as sharp as the GG screen, but it doesn't matter. You can easily read many rows of tiny text on the screen when receiving longer messages. Yes you can see pixels up but so what. It's still perfectly decent display for the use case.

8. The SmartWatch UI acts just like Android device. There are back, home and menu keys. There is a swipe down gesture that brings down notifications.

9. The black rubber watch band is very comfortable in all day use. I couldn't say that about the Galaxy Gear at all. The Galaxy Gear irritated my wrist throughout a days. Part of the metal clasp of the Gear watch band would rub against my wrist and caused me irritation. Also you can replace the SmartWatch band with any watchband.

10. My suggestion is to NOT load a lot of useless apps for use on the Watch. I only install the free "WatchIt!" notification app, along with the gmail and text apps. The WatchIt app will allow you to send any notification that appears on the top of your mobile phone to the watch as well. I started off by blacklisting all apps so they DON'T show notifications. Then I go through and approve only the ones I want. Be conservative in what apps you allow to buzz you on your watch. It will get annoying quickly if you allow dumb stuff to bother you and buzz your wrist all day.

11. You'll want the stock text message app as it allows you to view and reply to text messages using preformatted replies. You can create your own pre-formatted replies. I deleted all of the stock pre-formatted replies and created my own. When you get a text alert on the watch, you press the menu button, and then the text message icon button to reply. Then you can swype left or right to cycle between your preset replies. It works pretty well and doesn't try and shove more functionality that just won't work on a smartphone.

12. The watch does what it's supposed to do. I can view the time at all times, and it lets me get notifications to my wrist so I don't have to pull out my phone at work (which we have a strict no cell phone policy at work). I don't miss any important calls or text or emails anymore. I know when I have to step outside and deal with a call or text and when it can just wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars A smart decision., February 18, 2014
I purchased this watch because I was tired of waiting for another smart watch whose name will not be mentioned. Anyway: This watch is fine so far (I just received it tonight).

Setup was a bit of a pain. *Before you set up the watch be sure to download these two applications: 'Smart Connect' and 'Smartwatch 2'.*

If you're using NFC pairing then lay your watch flat on its face then slide the back of your phone against the back of the watch until you either hear or feel the watch vibrate. Keep the phone close to the watch and it will load up.

Once the setup is complete you're free to go to the Smart Connect application and download applications that come with the phone. Whilst downloading one application, scroll down to see other recommended applications. I'm glad that this watch has been released for some time now because when it first came out, the applications I downloaded (like Spotify) weren't available.

Pros:
Lightweight.
Is comfortable on my wrist.
Easy to swipe from screen to screen.
Brightness - My brightness is dimmed down quite a lot (less than 25%) and the screen is still clearly visible.
Infinite possibilities with application creation.
Price - Way cheaper than Samsung Galaxy Gear (almost half the cost).

Cons
Setup process - See above.
Messages - The messages read individually as if on an old flip phone; the messages are not grouped together. Not that big of an issue, but still worth mentioning.
Watch faces - Not many watch faces are offered, but I found one that I like nevertheless.
"Limited colors" - I put this in quotes and under cons because while you can change out the wristband, I've read reviews stating that if you do it voids the warranty.

If you were deciding between this item (Smartwatch 2) or the Samsung Galaxy Gear then choose this.

Will continually update as the time moves on.
------------------------------------------------
Update 23/2/14: Charge appears to hold for three days. Uses include checking the weather, messages, receiving calls and the occasional Facebook message. However, there is a slight problem; whilst charging/after the watch is done charging, the battery bar that is displayed is never full. Even when I first received the watch and fully charged it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 24/2/14: Problem about the charge has been remedied. If you're using a Samsung/Galaxy device, then you can simply use your phone charger to charge your watch. This has worked for me and now has my watch at 100% battery. I won't charge it again until the battery runs out to truly confirm the battery life.
Update: 26/2/14: Charge is holding quite fine after two days of use. Battery is ever so slightly starting to go down, which means it might make it past three days and all it truly needed was a full charge via the phone charger. I've run into a "problem" whilst trying to delete applications from the watch. I'll list the steps as best as possible-

On your phone click on the application you wish to delete > Hit the home button > Hold the home button > Hold the application until the tiny menu pops up > Click 'App info' > Click 'Uninstall' > Click 'OK'.

Go to your Smartwatch > Find the application you just deleted from your phone > Click on it > -Once that is done, the application should remove itself. It's easier than it appears to be; it's just a lot of steps which are quite easy, and are really small steps.

The only problem is deleting pre-installed applications. This cannot be done, so be wary of what you install on your Smartwatch from the pre-installed application list when'st you first get it.
3/1/14
Day SIX of NO CHARGE! This watch is amazing! Only problem currently is the lack of the weather application to be able to open. This could possibly (and hopefully) be due to not having a full charge or near a full charge. The battery looks to be at about 25% currently, and I do have a double today at work. The watch might just make it for seven full days with only one full charge (or even longer?). This is incredible. I'm not too sure if the watch will still work as just as a watch (being able to ONLY tell the time) when the battery dies. I suppose I'll find out.
3/2/14
Holy crap! DAY SEVEN!!! This morning, around 11 a.m. before I left for work, the watch vibrated and said '10%'. And guess what? It's still on and hasn't died yet and I have been using it excessively since last night and today. It's holding up just fine. I really want to reiterate: *IF YOU'RE CONSIDERING BETWEEN THE SONY SMARTWATCH 2 or the GALAXY GEAR THEN GET THE SONY SMARTWATCH 2!* -It's still holding it's full charge for seven days (one week) now, even with moderate AND excessive use. This watch is truly better than the Galaxy Gear, and half the cost too! It does exactly what you'd want it to do. Notifies you of a notification, be it Facebook, text, Snapchat, Kik, etc. If you get the Galaxy Gear you have the option to reply back on the watch. Hello...the screen is so much smaller AND it's in T9 (which is where you have to type the number 1 three times if you want to get to the letter 'C'). Also, with all the reviews I read on that, I highly doubt the Galaxy Gear's charge can hold up to this.

*This watch's rating is going from a 4 Star to a 5 Star. This has been truly impressive and has held up now since I got it back on the 18th of February. This will be my last edit to this review as there's not much else to say that I haven't already.

---I know my review is long, but if you read the whole thing, you'll be glad you did. The review helps with daily entries of how the watch holds up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, October 10, 2013
Smartwatches are such a new product category that I wasn't really sure what to expect from the Sony Smartwatch 2. But my inner nerd has fond memories of the old Casio Databank watches of the 1980s, and for $200 I thought it would at least be worth trying out. While the Sony Smartwatch 2 is not perfect, I am actually surprised how polished it is. To me it seems like the best smartwatch on the market right now by quite a margin.

Design is more important for a watch than for most personal electronics and I think this is a really strong simple design. One big button on the side that is really easy to press and the rest is touch control. It is a little wider than I would prefer, but looking at the huge chunky watches everyone on public transport is sporting, it appears I am not in the majority in that opinion. I have the metal band which looks great, but it is quite a lot heavier than the silicone band. I usually wear a titanium band and it took me a week to get used to the extra weight. I would put a titanium band on this (you can swap in any 24mm band) but I can't find a black one.

The screen is great. I have read that the resolution is not as good as the Samsung Gear but on a display this small it is perfectly adequate. You are not going to be reading novels on it. The transreflective display is excellent. Outdoors in sunlight, like magic, the display becomes black and white and remains very easy to read. The basic watchface stays on all the time in this black and white mode and this means it is always easy to check the time, which after all is the most important feature of any watch.

The functionality is really good. Althought the product is new, I had no problems with pairing the watch with my Nexus 4 using NFC and once you do that, connectivity is handled automatically. It just connects via bluetooth when you are near the phone. When you are not near the phone, the watchface and other apps which don't need a data connection (calculator, games etc) work as normal.

App selection is excellent. Smartwatch 1 apps work on Smartwatch 2 which means there is already really good range of apps in the Play Store, including Gmail, Facebook and Twitter. Smartwatch Notes lets you put simple notes on your watch, and you can send notes from Google Keep, useful for to do lists. Find My Phone rings your phone so you can find the damn thing under all the papers on your desk.

Battery life is good. From my experience, the watch will last about 3-4 days on a charge. It largely depends on how often you use its apps so that the screen has to light up. As mine is new, I have been fiddling with it a lot and it still lasts 3 days easily.

The Sony Smartwatch 2 does have some shortcomings. Most fundamentally, it is not designed as a standalone device - it does not have its own data connection, a camera or a speaker. I don't know what the memory is but it clearly cannot store a huge amount of data. It is designed as a "watch-plus" not a miniature phone. I am fine with this, frankly I think that a watch-sized device will always be fiddly to use to make calls, take photos etc and will have to make sacrifices in size and battery life. But there are a few devices that are going that way, most prominently the Galaxy Gear, so there are options if that's what you are after.

I kind of expected that a new product in a new product category would have some major flaws, and I'm pleased to report it does not. It does everything you would expect a "watch-plus" product to do and does them in a really smooth polished way. If you are looking for a watch which works seamlessly with your Android phone, and want some tech-cred on the side, this is the best option at the moment.

EDIT (13 Oct 2013): I experienced an issue which may affect others so I thought it was worth sharing. I had the metal wrist band adjusted to quite a tight fit and after a week or so I found that the screen had lifted up slightly above the bezel on the right side of the display. On closer inspection, the watch comprises an aluminium "frame" around the actual electronics. Evidently the glue between the electronics and the frame was not strong enough to withstand continuous pressure on the back of the watch and if the watch is tightly fitted, the electronics section can lift up on the right side (the left side has the charging port so I guess that prevents that side raising up). I applied a small amount of superglue to the exposed section of frame at the back of the watch and pushed the electronics section back down and let the glue set. The problem has not recurred so far. To be safe I will get the band loosened a bit. The watch is still under warranty so I can send it back if the issue recurs. I noticed that when the screen was raised, it made the side button unresponsive (because it was out of alignment), so if you notice the button becomes hard to press, this could be your problem.

EDIT (16 Oct 2013): I originally wrote that there is currently no way to silence the watch at night. Turns out you can do this by setting an Event in the Sony SmartConnect app on your phone.

EDIT (2 May 2014): New firmware has been issued which addresses several issues identified in my original review: the lack of a calculator and custom watch faces. I have updated the review accordingly. The good news is that all of the "negatives" I identified in my original review have now been fixed - perhaps someone at Sony read my review!

3.0 out of 5 stars Blu Tooth Issues resolved - Updated, October 3, 2013
Bought this device as second Android screen for my Samsung Galaxy S4 smart phone. Got with the black strap. So far it is working ok. There were some initial troubles in pairing this device with my phone via NFC. After several attempts, gave up on NFC pairing and went with blu tooth pairing. Blu tooth pairing is holding good till now. I have moved this watch away from the phone by significant distance and did not face any re-pairing type annoyances yet.

The watch face is wider than the length by few mm. I went with this watch instead of Samsung gear because I have small hands and I thought this will fit better than Samsung gear. The Gear is longer and narrower than Sony SW2. This watch sits perfect on my hand with no constant sliding in any direction. I have to use the last hole on the strap though.

I did not go with Samsung Gear because, as of now it will not work with my S4. I was also not keen on camera, extra cost and non-replaceable straps.

The resolution on SW2 is decent, but Samsung Gear resolution is much better. I did not compare them side by side, but I am fine with Sony SW2 resolution. I purchased one app so far to enable me to dial numbers from the phone (just for coolness factor).

The SW2 has one button on the side (like a regular watch) and it has 3 soft buttons (back, home and apps type button - still trying to figure this one out). You cannot press the soft buttons directly without pressing side button first. One the other side, there is a micro usb port to charge the watch.

Sony SW2 Smart Connect Liveware is the software that need to be installed on the phone first. It happens when the watch is paired with phone. One can also download the s/w from google play store directly as well. Once the Liveware s/w is installed the watch comes to life. The liveware s/w gives options to installs apps on the watch directly. There are few to select from.

The screen response is decent. It is not blazing fast, but generally responsive. I have installed Gmail, Messages, phone app, dial pad so far. They all work fine. The gmail app shows the gmail on your watch, messages shows texts on watch on so on. The dialpad allowed me to dial a number from the watch.

My biggest complaint about this watch is its standby brightness. It is very low and it is difficult to read the time without pushing the side button. The black watch face (shown in some pictures) is absolutely not readable. I have switched to white background, which made it marginally better. Pushing the side button, brightens up the screen and makes the time very readable. I think this is a big miss for Sony SW2. The watch should always tell time clearly without the need to push additional buttons. Hopefully this will get fixed via s/w update in near future.

My second issue is that there are no apps to allow multiple timezones to be displayed on the watch. As a watch linked to smartphone, I think this should have been made available out of the box. It should have allowed the travelers to switch timezones with a simple swipe action. This would have made it really useful for people traveling in multiple time zones regularly. I hope an app gets released by Sony or some third party to address this gap. There is a timezone app in the market, which allows to set a single timezone.

I will keep testing and post any updates.

Pros:

- fits on my small hand
- looks good
- wide and flexible strap
- Decent resolution
- Some useful apps

Cons:

- Standby display brightness is very low making it very difficult to tell time without pushing the side button
- Cannot pair via NFC (may be it is a galaxy s4 issue)
- Very few free apps. Most of the apps are at least 0.99
- No hotmail app
- Mail app listed by liveware is not compatible with the watch
- No world clock app yet
- Watch froze once so far, Had to reset (by pushing and holding power button for 15 second)

Update : 10/4/2013

The device is always paired over blu tooth. As some else pointed out, NFC is just for easier pairing. I think the issue was, when I tried pair it by NFC tapping, it did not download the liveware software. However when I paired it using blu tooth manually, it started downloading liveware software. I stand corrected on the NFC pairing. Thanks for pointing it out. However, theI am downgrading it 1 star because this device impacts the call quality on my blu tooth paired car phone system (honda odyssey). When this device is paired, the phone calls have become scratchy, barely audible over the other blu tooth paired headset.

Update : 10/11/2013

The blue tooth issue has been resolved after taking to an android expert. Basically on the phone I have to turn off sending Media Audio over BT, but only send Call Audio over BT. This resolved the call quality issues I had with Odyssey Handsfree Link BT.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice concept, but horrible manufacturing quality! Avoid!, December 17, 2013
Let me first start off by saying that I actually liked this smart watch. I have the original Smart Watch 1 by Sony as well, and compared to that model, this one is 100% better. Unlike the previous model, you can actually see the screen in the daylight and the watch works as a watch (i.e., it will tell you the time) even when disconnected from the phone. For SW2, I bought the metal wrist-band, so it had a nice heavy weight to it like a real watch. It works great as a notification device, so that you don't have to constantly check your phone, especially in meetings where that would be inappropriate.

Having said all that, however, the manufacturing quality on this is HORRIBLE!! The first SW2 that I got died within 3 weeks. The screen froze and completely bricked and would not power off or reset no matter what I tried. I waited a few hours, but no change what-so-ever. Luckily, I was within my 30 day return period, so I exchanged it for a new one.

The second SW2 worked fine for about 5 weeks. Then one day, when I glanced at my wrist, I noticed that the watch was missing! I still had the metal wrist-band on my wrist, but the watch itself (i.e., the square unit) had popped out of the frame/case that was attached to the wrist band. [Check out my photos in the Image Gallery.]

It turns out that while my wrist-band is metal, the watch itself is plastic and very light. That is why I had not noticed that it had popped out during the day, because the wrist-band accounts for 95% of the weight.

There are two major manufacturing defects with this: (1) the plastic watch unit is glued onto the metal frame. GLUED! It's not screwed on or bolted. Sony used single lines of glue on each of the 4 sides!!! [See my photo in the Image Gallery.] (2) Once the glue wears off, the watch pops out outward easily, because the frame that watch rests on does not encase the watch on the face side of the watch, but instead, it encases the watch unit on the bottom side - the side that rests against your wrist. Of course the watch will pop out if there's nothing but a thin line of glue holding the plastic unit onto the frame!!!

I called Sony warranty at least 4 times, but they all refused to help me on account that I lost the main watch unit. I explained and they even agreed that it is a manufacturing defect that the watch unit popped out of the frame. But, because I don't have the main unit, they claim they cannot replace it under warranty. It didn't matter that the only reason I lost the watch unit is because it popped out of the frame due to the manufacturing defect.

This is so typical of Sony!!! They make products that are clearly not manufactured with high quality, and they back up their products with poor customer service. I highly doubt you would ever see an Apple product or Apple customer service like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Positive step in the right direction!!!, November 1, 2013
Sony Smartwatch 2 (which technically is the third version is awesome. It has a huge variety of apps (third party and manufacturers), screen has improved tremendously with daylight readability, always on clock face, and is still lasting me almost 3 days between charges. I am a huge electronics Geek and have owned the pebble smartwatch, Meta, galaxy gear smartwatch and and this one is my favorite. Very versatile, and the vibrating motor def gets your attention
In addition I owned the first 2 generations of Sony Smartwatch and this is definitely a step in the right direction.

1.0 out of 5 stars Better hope it doesn't die. No support, January 7, 2014
I purchased this watch on Oct. 30th. Last week part of the screen quit working. I contacted sony for an RMA and was told the only help they could offer was a software reset. Not helpfull. Why on earth spend $200.00 on a product that the manufacturer won't stand behind for at least a year. Would really like to know if anyone else had this problem.

Rate and Discover Movies