Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony DSC-QX10/B Smartphone Attachable 4.45-44.5mm Lens-Style Camera
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Color: Black|Style: QX 10|Configuration: Base|Change
Price:$228.87 - $449.00

on November 4, 2013
There are a lot of misconceptions about the new QX product... so I'll just give you my history.

I shoot professionally. I work in the field, out of my house at least half the month. I take a lot of gear with me. I already have an Sony DSC-RX100/B 20.2 MP Exmor CMOS Sensor Digital Camera with 3.6x Zoom, which I absolutely adore (and you won't find someone who doesn't love this camera), along with my DSLR gear. Why would I ever need ANOTHER? I didn't :) truth. BUT being on the road affords me the option to be able to share my images from around my territory. I am lucky in that I get to see a lot of desolation just waiting to be captured. Sometimes, though, there are angles I just can't get, things that I see that my DSLR and my RX100 simply aren't capable of reaching either because of obstacles in the way, size issues (my A99v is huge), etc...

Which is where the QX comes in. I simply do not ever attach this camera to my Samsung Galaxy S4. Ever. I see zero need for it and feel that it actually limits the camera's potential to do so. I have a WiFi signal! Put the damn camera where I damn well want to. Indispensable tool?Joby GPM-A1EN GorillaPod Magnetic Flexible Tripod (Black). A tool that allows me to stick the QX up light poles, traffic signals, car tops and sides, metal tables and chairs, the siding of an REI building, ladders, whatever allows those magnetic feet to work, man. Put the camera where you want it. Since the QX is blessed with a 1/4 20 tripod mount, it goes onto any 1/4 20 adapted product. I've seen them on boom poles, I've seen them on string. I've seen them mounted on GoPro! adapters, you name it. Because it's small enough to fit, you see, and that gives it a lot of photographic hope. I know a pro in Fresno, CA who has 4 of the Sony DSC-QX100 Smartphone Attachable Lens-style Camera He also has 4 assistants running tablets. They put that little camera every where: in the bouquet while the bride is walking around with it, at the base of the cake for the cutting, on the podium or altar for intimate shots no photographer would ever be allowed to make. Brilliant. This camera is designed to make you consider the box you work in... and then bust it open. It is the sign of many good things to come for both mobile photographers as well as the hobbyists and pros. Personally, I'm glad it's Sony doing it. I've lost a lot of faith in the big two of late: they are simply not innovating in any direction I approve of. In most cases, in fact, they simply release warmed over versions of their old stuff and THAT, friends and neighbors, bores me outright.

I have had excellent luck with my wifi connection with two common problems: #1.) if you're in a room with heavy cellular traffic happening, your wifi range will definitely drop. We've had it in a studio green room, running the camera 75 ft away. Amazing. We've also had it in a convention center where there is enough telcomm taking place to fry a third world country and I'd say we got 20ft out of it before things went really laggy, or just froze. #2.) I have definitely found that, when the camera reaches one bar of battery life, it's not connecting. Hence the minus one star. I know that WiFi is a lot of draw but lithium batteries are supposed to be a near perfect power chart: flat until it dies... and this indicates that the camera pulls perhaps a little too much, is a little too inefficient. I have not had a QX100 long enough to know if it's any better but, since it uses the same battery, I suspect it has the same issues. Also, please note: the battery life will vary wildly depending on the mode you have it in: if in the Green Auto or Program modes, it will last a lot longer than the Superior (Gold) Auto I'm recommending. I deal with the shorter battery life simply because I feel Gold yields much better images overall. Only scenario it didn't, where I switched to Program and dealt with the +/- compensation, was shooting my son's jazz band concert. And then, thank god it had -2 stop ability.

The picture quality ranges from average to how the hell did this little thing capture that?? And it's hard to say what you'll get out of it: it heavily depends on on the lighting, and what scene mode the camera arbitrarily chooses... which for me means it has taken on the charm of lomography, and I use it as carelessly because of it. If I get something good (which I tend to, it's not a crappy camera by any means... but it IS a compact digital camera and comes with compact digital camera issues), then I'll process it right on the cellphone in PicSay Pro (usually. Snapseed on the tablet), and send it off. The nice bit: I can actually print these images because they ARE printable, unlike most cellphones. I will rarely if ever use the camera part of my camera phone ever again.

One suggestion: despite the fact that it has the three modes of operation, I have found that your best chance for success in MOST situations is to leave it in Superior Auto (the gold mode). This mode does phenomenal HDR when necessary. Some of the images have been stunning, honestly. It will also engage a high iso image stack if it doesn't like the lighting. From what I can tell it's up to 6 images at high sensitivity that it will then composite, creating a much, much cleaner file than one shot could create. These two things are invaluable on my RX100 and while I'm disappointed I can't pick them when I wanna on the QX10, I can deal with it. It's app based. Apps are made to be upgraded. So my inner mobile optimist is in full swing. :)

If you're interested, feel free to head to my instagram.com/setaside2 or search instagram for #qxshooter or #qx10 and you'll find what you're looking for. Plenty of demonstrations of what a QX can do, and where it can go.

Feel free to find me and ask questions.

UPDATE: Now that the new firmware upgrade has been installed I have noticed that the latency issues have really gone down, which is a nice surprise, and that the iPhone in the house connects a great deal quicker. It's still a pain to get the iPhone up and running (Please, Apple, for the love of humanity, license NFC and deal with it) but once it's running it's certainly a much more satisfying experience than it was before. The added ability to change ISO is nice but I hardly ever use it and the video quality has indeed been improved... plus the 1920 makes things a little less awkward for mixing it with other sources. All in all a big plus to Sony for adding features that matter and improving the experience. It isn't done BUT it has been improved and that is saying something.

And thanks to those who've reached out. Glad I could help. Please continue to do so. -M
1717 comments| 430 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2013
I ordered the DSC-QX10/B and used it for about a week with my iPhone before ultimately deciding to return it. Why?

Pros:
* Picture quality is good. Much better than built-in phone camera.
* Zoom is good.
* Detachability is good. I used the lens off-phone several times with nice results that would have been impractical or impossible to get otherwise.
* Video is very good. Espcially outdoors in bright light (duh) but even inside, video is good.

Minor Cons
* Does not use phone GPS - there is no geotagging on the images.
* EXIF data does not indicate which shooting mode was used for the image
* no way to transfer images over wifi to computer. The full-size images and videos are stored on the microSD card. To get them to the computer you must copy them to the phone then phone to computer. Or, remove the sd card from the camera and insert in computer. Just plugging in the USB cable from lens to computer did not recognize it as a device that could be downloaded. Often times there was not enough space on the phone to transfer all the images there first, then move to computer, which meant removing the mounting bracket from the lens in order to acces the card slot, then removing the miniscule memory card, putting it in an adapter, plugging it into the computer, etc etc. Too many steps! Maybe this could be fixed in future releases.

And to be fair, you can put a pretty big card in there and the lens will send low-res 2MB previews to your phone "immediately" (still takes a few seconds). Those previews are good enough for social posting and knowing that you got the shot. Then you can download at the end of the day when you're back at home, as opposed to out in the wild.

Major cons:

* WiFi only. This device creates its own wifi network to which you connect the phone. That means the phone is no longer on whatever wifi it was using previously. It also means an extra 30-60 seconds of fiddling-around with the phone to actually get to the point where you can take a picture. I don't understand why this isn't bluetooth? really.

* Does not feel rugged enough. This feels too cheaply constructed for what I see as the intended use of carrying it around in your bag and attaching it to your phone when you want a good pic. There is no case provided with the unit. Maybe it could survive "life in the backpack" but I doubt it. Not for a precision optical device with multiple lenses and motors and such. Just doesn't feel like it's ready for the real world trials.

* Time to deploy. The tests I performed were to have the lens immediately accessible at the top of the bag without any hunting for it, and the bag off my shoulder and open. Then I timed how long to remove lens from bag, power on, open mounting bracket, attach to phone, change network on phone, launch special camera app, and then finally take a picture in whatever mode the app happened to launch in without making any other decisions about what kind of image or settings. Best I did was 58 seconds. And if the wifi on the lens didn't come up right away, it was a lot more.

Why isn't this bluetooth?

I hope a lot of the functionality of this product can be improved with future app updates... and maybe even firmware too. But the limiting factor is still the wifi-only connection with no bluetooth. Changing my phone's network connection should not be a requirement for taking a picture.

Overall, good concept, poor execution.
2525 comments| 398 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2013
I was excited to finally get my QX-10 (I refuse to spend $500 for the QX100 since I own the RX100II and no one should really buy the QX100 ). For $250 the QX 10 has some cool features and uses and has worked pretty well for me (runing iOS 7 and latest version of the Sony App). The connection via wifi works, I agree that the whole password thing is silly. How many people are going to try to connect to your camera as you are taking pictures? but once you enter the password at least you don't have to do it again.

Overall it works pretty well, but the real only point for this product is the 10x optical zoom. The iPhone 5s has a really good camera but the digital zoom is useless since all you are doing is cropping the pixels. This at least helps get you closer to the subject with no loss of resolution.

Sony needs to update the app, give more options for creative controls, and a major one, ALLOW THE APP TO FORMAT THE MICRO SD CARD. Right now you can't and have to do it I guess by connecting it to the computer and erasing the card.

Is it perfect? NO, but it's the first product of its kind and most of the product is the app which Sony can improve.
review image review image review image review image
44 comments| 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2013
This review is for the Sony QX-10 that I received 6 1/2 hrs ago. Decided to go for the lower end lens instead of the 100. I already own a Canon DSLR and a Sony NEXc3 (plus several smaller P&S). I wanted something that will coexist with my phone's camera but didn't want to carry "another" camera for certain situations. Combining a good lens with its features with a smartphone and its features...Genius. Yeah, maybe carrying a P&S would be simpler but it's the possibilities of using the lens is what I'm interested in. Having the screen right in your line of sight while the lens is facing somewhere else like taking a "selfie" or low to the ground without laying down looking at the screen. Endless possibilities of taking incredible shots. If you want to take quick shots of something/someone I don't think this is for you. But for other shots....

Set up is incredibly fast. Download the sony playmemories app and input password. That's it. Or turn on NFC and tap. Pics that I've taken are satisfactory so far. All just quick test shots to see that it actually does what it say. And I'm very surprised that this WORKS flawlessly on Android phones (both Note 2 and Galaxy S2) and the complaints and negative reviews are from iPhone users and complaints are more or less based on the Sony Playmemories App for iOS instead of the lens itself.

Also, I agree with another reviewer (Paul B) with his gripes. Those were the same two things I complained about - Hitting the back button to take another pic and bracket not wide enough for my Note 2 but perfectly with my older phone Galaxy S2. I am hoping that Sony will put out more accessories for the lens at a very reasonable price (doubt that). Accessories like bigger bracket attachments in various sizing and a waterproof casing so one can use the lens like GoPro style.

The LENS itself is awesome and deserves 5 stars. But the Sony Playmemories app needs major improvements and right now this is the only weakness for the lens. Thankfully Sony released the API so 3rd Party apps should be popping up soon (camera360). I've got 2 1/2 weeks to play around with this lens/phone combo before going on a trip. I don't want to lug around my dslr or micro4/3 to where I'm going. My main camera will be my trusty canon s95 for most of my shots. And this lens will be my funky out of this world crazy shots.

EDIT 9/26/13:
Figured out one of my gripes. Hitting the back button to take another pic option CAN be changed on the Sony Playmemories app. Just need to change the "Review Image". There are 3 options: ON (which leaves the picture on until you hit the back button to go back to camera), 2sec (2 second review of shot, usual for most cameras) or OFF (no review of picture taken). I left mines at the 2sec review.
review image review image review image review image
44 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2013
This is a frustrating review to write, as it is impossible to cleanly review the lens camera without also reviewing the Sony PlayMemories Mobile app that the camera runs through via your smart phone. I'll do my best to put as much separation between the 2 as possible.

The QX10: gorgeous little piece of equipment, and takes stunning photos. The look, feel, and performance of the hardware is extraordinary, and I think Sony has really become a strong player in the world of cameras. I love the initiative taken to innovate a product that acknowledges the move to people relying more fully on smart phones for photos, but sometimes wanting to step up the game a bit, without having to lug around a full DSLR camera. Yes, we are doing the dreaded "extra device" thing, but the extra device is small, convenient, powerful, and worthwhile. The BIG set-back with the camera is that Sony somehow (stupidly) chose to force users to make a WIFI connection to the camera, rather than Bluetooth. My understanding is that Android users have a more automatic connection with the wifi setting, but let's acknowledge that there is a huge iPhone user-base here, too. Bluetooth would make for a fast, easy, no-extra-steps connection, and I am endlessly frustrated by the wifi setting.

The App: Dreadful, disfunctional, and not being improved fast enough or well enough. This is a sad story. The promise that is advertised for using the app with the camera is not the reality AT ALL. Just read through the app reviews! It is slow, and your photography experience becomes a nightmare of lagging, freezing, restarting, re-installing, and screaming. It will also drain an iPhone battery in record time. I spent hours on the phone with their support team, and have learned that the app particularly dislikes the iPhone 5, running iOS 7. The app could also clearly have more (obvious) features, such as different scene/shutter settings. The settings menu is very limited.

Camera 360 has integrated a Sony QX10/100 compatibility in their app (3rd party developers are open to integration with the camera). I'm glad to see that someone has at least come on board in that arena, but they offer even less usability functions (not even a tap-to-focus option?), and it has trouble connecting with the hardware. Hoping for more (and better) 3rd party app compatibility in the future.

Overall summary: If you are a casual photographer, and a patient person, the camera is fun, and takes great photos. You cannot rapid-fire shoot, and may have to spend 10 seconds or more trying to get each shot (Nature scene? Cool. Kids and dogs? Good luck!) I remain optimistically hopeful for an improved user experience soon. Meanwhile, I've moved on to the Samsung NX 300.
on November 7, 2013
This is sad but I cannot give this product any rating higher than 2 stars, it failed on me too many times that I had to return it.

Keep in mind that I used the camera with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, 3 and an iPhone 5.

First let me talk about syncing and first time use:
1. Download and install app via app store or playstore
2. Turn camera on and make sure to make it discoverable so that your device may scan for it
3. Make sure your device is on same wifi network as the camera (it has its own wifi address so connect to that, Android with NFC makes this hassle free)
4. Type annoying pw that is found on one the tags of the camera (your supposed to type it once only but I had to do it numerous times after exiting the app and shutting the camera off)
5. Carefully snap on to your device and test it out.

Overall the process is supposed to be simple but you may run into problems with scanning, connecting and disconnecting oh and LAG lots of lag.

I noticed that the camera works better with an Android device since the iPhone had trouble scanning for the camera wifi network as well as automatically connecting when powered on. The android did a much better job at scanning and connecting.

There's a bit of lag (depends on your device) when taking photos, aiming at your subject(s) and connecting. It gets frustrating really fast that you end up using the camera app on your device.

For some reason my iPhone tended to drop connection compared to my Android devices (the NFC really helps).

There are two ways to take a photo, you can use the physical button located on the side of the camera or you can use the sony app. Just make sure that the subject you are taking a picture of is not moving otherwise the lag will give you a nice blurry photo.

The zoom feature is actually pretty nice but also lags (there is too much lag between communication of the sony software and the camera).

There is no flash so make sure you have plenty of light source otherwise you will get some very dark photos.

Photo quality varies (light source) and while the photos are not that bad, I found most to be washed out, over saturated, unbalanced tones and a bit noisy (not as clear as I hoped). I only got a few shots that I actually liked and this was probably due to the light source. I should also note that most of my photos were taken outside, quality improved indoors in a well lit room.
I am not a pro so I cannot provide a more detailed review on photo quality.

Design wise the camera looks very very nice too bad it feels cheap real cheap. I had the white colored QX10 which looks GREAT on the new iPhone 5s gold (temporarily borrowed from a friend to see how it looked).

Software is like any other camera app but you cannot save to an SD card for some reason. You can immediately share to Instagram or another photo social sharing app but that was never my intention to begin with. Software did not play nicely with the iPhone 5 so just focused on using Android.

A pro of the QX10 is that it fits most phones even phablets, just do not use a case.

I had trouble reconnecting my devices to the camera each time I turned it off. Sometimes the device would see the camera and automatically connect to it but most of the time I had to go through the entire set up all over again. Not worth the hassle.

I gave it two days and decided to return it.

Interestingly enough I was at a sony retail store and was able to play with the QX100 which was more stable and syncing worked as advertised. Photo quality was impressive and there was less lag. But the price tag was not worth it and I never really saw myself using this camera on a daily basis to justify the price tag.

This camera is suited more toward hobbyist, not even your average consumer will use it too much due to the hassle of turning it on, waiting for it to connect and launching the app.

My experience was a poor one but yours may be different and pleasant so ultimately decide are you the type that will use the camera on a daily basis that justifies the price or are you an impulse buyer that wants to add another unnecessary accessory to your tech collection. If that latter, do not buy since it will just gather dust.
on September 26, 2013
The model I ordered is the DSC-QX10 in white. I'm very happy with this purchase. I'm just a normal person who doesn't own a DSLR and have been content using my phone's camera for taking pictures on the fly and a Casio point-and-shoot if I want better quality photos. I don't usually carry my point-and-shoot, though, so I was mostly left with the phone camera, which for me isn't the best since I have the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD which is pretty well known for taking sub par fuzzy images. When I originally saw this on a tech site, I was instantly intrigued. So far, I haven't been disappointed.

The packaging is pretty cool. It comes in a small cylinder shaped box and includes manuals, a quick start up guide, battery, usb charger, phone attachment, and wrist strap. It doesn't include a micro SD card, but that really isn't needed with this device anyway since photos taken with it instantly transfers to your phone.

Set up was quick and easy. It took a few seconds to pair up with my phone, and that may be a nuisance if you're looking to quickly whip out your lens for a quick photo op. It's actually much faster if you use the NFC capability. As soon as I tapped my lens to my phone, the lens turned itself on, the app booted up, and I was connected and ready to go. I used the lens both while attached to my phone and separately in my hand. The lens attachment was able to easily fit on my phone which was in a case. The fit was snug and secure. If using it this way, it's just as easy to tap the phone screen to take a picture as it is to use the shutter button on the lower left of the lens. Using the lens separately was also fun.

I was able to get some great close angles during test shots of my sleeping dog without shoving my phone in her face. Although there is no flash, this lens handles low lights pretty well. Pretty much every picture I took with this lens was head and shoulders above my phone's camera, quality wise. This might not mean much to a lot of people who know the quality of photos my phone takes, but this is great for me. I love everything else about my phone and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon; the only thing I wasn't too keen on was its camera. With this lens, however, I can hold on to my phone as long as I want. Even if trading up phones, camera quality won't be as big a deal with me because I can just attach this lens. Even better, my current tablet (the original Nexus 7) doesn't include a camera. That always sort of irked me, but now I have this awesome lens I could use with it. I can use this lens with any and all my devices.

This lens might not be for everyone; the price might not be attractive enough, the picture quality won't be DSLR, and a lot of people won't see the need in carrying an extra accessory around just for photos. But for me, this thing is great. It's small and compact and can easily fit into my coat pockets or purse. The quality of photos are on par with a point-and-shoot and although I'll still continue to use my phone's included camera for those quick blink-and-you-miss-it photo ops, if I have a few seconds to spare to whip out this little guy and tap it to my phone, I'll definitely be using this instead.
33 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2013
I have a Nexus 4 phone, which has NFC. I think QX10 works best with phones that have NFC.

Initially, N4 can have wifi off, and QX10 can be completely powered off.

Two emphasis:
One, no need to turn on N4 wifi manually.
Two, no need to turn on QX10 power manually.

Just touch the back end of N4 (lower portion) on top of QX10 and hold them together still. Do not wave either one around while it's trying to establish connection. It won't go any faster and you risk losing connection.

No need to do anything else.
1. QX10 will power itself up automatically.
2. N4 will turn on wifi automatically.
3. N4 will start PlayMemory automatically.
4. Connectivity between QX10 and PlayMemory will establish automatically and the live view will show up on N4's screen.

Above 4 steps usually finish within 15 - 20 seconds. Again, no button needs to be pressed anywhere. No additional steps need to be done. You can start taking pictures as soon as you see the live view on N4.

As much as I want the start time to be instantaneous, it is an unrealistic expectation for a device like this. After phones become more powerful and PlayMemory is updated to be faster & more efficient, the start up time won't be comparable to a dedicated camera. After all, it is ridiculous to expect a SUV performing like a Ferrari...ur, maybe until lamborghini builds that one. Just think about how long your laptop takes to start up until wifi is ready for you to browse the Internet...

I am taking 1 star off for not having a faster start up time. I think it can be under 10 seconds range.

When you rotate your phone, PlayMemory's live view also reorients itself.

When you rotate QX10 upside down or side way, the live view on the phone will also rotate so that it displays right side up, although with a split second delay.

QX10 has the "touch-to-focus" feature because it works well on larger phone screens. However, I still can't get the "touch-to-focus" and then "long-hold" to take a picture. Maybe the "long-hold" feature isn't there.

Turn the "Review Image" off (in PlayMemory) if you want/like to take the next picture quickly.

I take 1 star off for its sparse control features in PlayMemory.

Build quality: Overall it feels high quality with nice fit & finish. I don't like the tiny flap that covers the charging port. It's difficult to open and I am always afraid of breaking it off.

Battery life: Battery life on the phone would be a bigger concern to me. With QX10 and PlayMemory on all the time like a surveillance camera, it drains my phone battery quite quickly.

Pictures quality: Its comparable to Sony point-&-shoot cameras in the $200 range. Besides, who buys QX10 for its "superb" picture quality???

Let's all just admit it. It's really a toy for people who like camera. And I think it is indeed a very good toy.

------------------
Update 1:
-----------------
After a few days of using it, I have to emphasize that if you expect it to be ready to take pictures within 2 seconds (typical of using a dedicated camera), this toy is not for you. Even with NFC, it takes more than 15 seconds on the average to pair up. If you leave it connected all the time, it will drain your phone battery very quickly and you won't be able use the phone for anything else because PlayMemories disconnects if you switch to another app.

I only attached the lens to the phone once just to test out the attachment, which works fine and feels solid. Besides that, the lens always stays separate from the phone because that's where the REAL fun is with this lens.

Connecting thru NFC on my Nexus 4 works consistently every time. However, my Nexus 7 failed to connect thru NFC 3 out of 10 times. I had to look up Nexus 7 manual to figure out where is the optimal spot on the backside of Nexus 7. It's the "x" of "Nexus" on the back. Nexus 7's larger screen is definitely a plus with this lens.

For best responsiveness in taking pictures, install a memory card on the lens and disable both "preview" and "save to phone" in PlayMemories.

When transferring pictures from lens's memory card to the phone, I feel it's pretty fast considering it's going thru wifi. If you want your pictures on the phone, I would suggest transferring them after you are done taking all the pictures. Your picture taking experience will be much better.

I tested the connectivity up to 30 feet away thru two sheetrock walls and it still works.

------------------
Update 2:
-----------------
PlayMemories was recently updated. However, it seems to be more finicky now. I had to force stop PlayMemories a couple of times on my N4. I haven't experienced any improvements in the start up time.
33 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2013
So after playing with the DSC-QX10 I am returning it. I was really rooting for this to work. A few issues
1. Lag - Outdoors under sunlight, indoors, an area with too many access points, outside in the city. It lags where I cannot even take the picture I want because the opportunity is gone. It tries to adjust at the cost of not being able to function at a speed a normal point and shoot can.
2. Lack of flash - yes people still use this.
3. Barely fits the larger Note 3 phones.
4. Really? Wifi??? Sometimes if the phone is configured to connect to other pre-programmed wifi hotspot or access point, it will fight with the camera and disconnect leaving me with a "Internet not available disconnecting" message rendering my camera useless.
5. When wanting to browse the pictures on the device (from the phone) it self that didn't download to the phone, it is difficult and would disconnect before it would allow you to do it.
6. I need to disconnect the camera to post the picture directly to anything social media related. Since the phone is looking for internet and notices that the Sony camera doesn't have it, it will disconnect and then re-connect to your phone service to upload.
7. By the time I get the camera ready, the opportunity is gone.
8. Software that is in the camera's internal memory has nothing to do with the camera and is not compatible with the camera. Why was it included?

If this product line is to survive, I suggest to Sony, use Bluetooth. Needing to disconnect from the camera to connect to 4g/LTE to post a picture is ridiculous and takes up to a minute to perform. Also, put a flash in the darn thing. I am sure they know how to do that since they also made Sony RX II with its tiny flash. A few more functions such as being able to set how long exposure time is, and better aperture control would be nice. And last, make sure it can save the pictures to another folder on the phone, lets say, the DCIM folder on the SD card on the phone maybe where the gallery program can find it and not on the phone itself under the "Sony Memories" folder where gallery cannot find it. I was hoping that this was my point and shoot that I would carry and use everywhere. I am resigned to the fact that I will probably need to buy a point and shoot and look back at this and say "It was a good try" don't get me wrong, these take very good pictures under ideal circumstances (no wifi interference, not so much light, stationary and no need to post it right away), but it didn't hit my standards. Sorry Sony.
33 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2013
After reading other reviews, seems that this lens (QX-10) works better with an android device. I'm having a good experience so far. My HTC phone is great except that the built-in camera is 5MP so has always been a bummer since I like to take a lot of snaps. Enter this option. I thought about getting a regular small digital camera, but either way I'd be carrying around a second item and this device seemed more flexible for me.

You first launch the play memories app and then enter a one-time pass-code to pair the lens with your phone. Then it connects via WiFi or NFC. NFC seems faster. As others have stated, it's not optimal for capturing those "emergency" photos due to the start-up/config that needs to occur every time you power up the lens. It's not that bad though - just don't expect to be able to capture those quick spontaneous shots. This is better for pictures with friends or landscapes, etc.

Otherwise, the pictures are high quality and pretty impressive in low light conditions. The zoom is also good and it's nice that there's a wrist strap so you can tether it to yourself. Also, if you have multiple supported phones/devices, you can use this lens with any of them. The other fun option is that your phone screen/viewfinder basically becomes a remote control; meaning you can place the lens on a tripod and snap pictures from a few feet away or take more accurate self portraits since you can see exactly what you're shooting with your phone's display. Also makes for some interesting new photo perspectives.

Some things to note - there's no flash and it cannot use your phone's flash. But again, low light pictures have been pretty impressive in my opinion and I'm a person who rarely uses a flash anyway. Also, you'll need to have a micro SD card inserted into the lens in order to take videos. And my card had to be formatted once inserted.

So far I don't have any complaints since I knew exactly what I was getting into with this lens. Also, haven't had any trouble with the android play memories app.